Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby moonlight » Mon May 25, 2020 10:13 am

I have started logging my food into Cronometer. I wanted to make sure I was getting in all the nutrients I need in a day. Also, I wanted to track calories since I am not losing weight. I think it will be an incentive to help me see where I consume excessive calories. Popcorn was one in which I didn't realize how many calories was in air-popped popcorn. About a year ago I purchased a new container for microwaving popcorn. The measurement guide is different. I didn't realize how much I had increased my popcorn serving. I have cut it in half. Yesterday I stayed within the calorie guidelines for losing one pound a week. I'll monitor this for a few days and see if I can change some habits. I've been really struggling lately. I've been craving cheese, nuts, bread, or something real filling, like meat. I have allowed bread, hoping I can get this craving out of my system. The last couple of days I've made sloppy joe style beans and put over slices of whole wheat bread. I know it needs to go until I get the rest of my excess weight off but at least I'm not eating nuts, dairy, or meat. (I consumed 500 calories in bread yesterday.) For now, it feels like an accomplishment to keep animal products off my plate. If I slide into the occasional bite, it's brutal. I'll deal with my bread habit in time - maybe even this week!!

B: soup, sweet potato and banana
L: salad, lentil soup with bulgur, watermelon
D: gazpacho, whole wheat pasta, marinara sauce with veggies
Snack: chips...

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :)

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :)

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :)

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).:)

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :)

6. Eliminate any added oil. :)

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. chips in the evening, bread and candy during the night

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :)

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. binge eating during the night....

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :(
Last edited by moonlight on Wed May 27, 2020 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Wed May 27, 2020 5:05 am

I managed to sleep through the night without eating! If I could achieve breaking that bad habit, I think I would start losing weight again. I've never heard of anyone binging during the night. My defenses are low when I'm sleepy... Anyway, I hope it continues.

Yesterday I had a very good compliant day - except no exercise.... I was aware of the craving to stuff myself. Also, when I craved bread at mealtimes I forced myself to just go ahead and eat compliant food. It worked. No bread yesterday. No chips. No popcorn. :)
Wednesday's Food Intake: I forgot to record my food and now I can't remember what I ate on Wednesday... I remember having trouble sleeping and eating cheese during the night. So disappointing....

Tuesday's Food
B: breakfast soup
L: salad and lentil soup with bulgur
Snack: watermelon
D: gazpacho, baked potato fries and brussel sprouts

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :)

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :)

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :)

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :)

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :)

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :)

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :)

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :(
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Fri May 29, 2020 5:46 am

Thursday's Food Intake:
B: Potato salad with a little Vegenaise… and brussel sprouts
Snack: banana
L: flour tortilla, refries fat free beans and rice with lettuce
Dinner: two slices of bread, Vegenaise, tomato, green beans
Snack: oatmeal
midnight snacking: cheese again :(

Exercise: 5 mile hike

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. none of my meals started with soup or salad...

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.I didn't eat as many vegetables as I usually do

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). cheese during the night

6. Eliminate any added oil. Vegenaise

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. bread and flour tortilla

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). almond chocolate milk

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. I didn't stuff myself but it was a terrible day for the MWL guidelines

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :D

Seems like I've started down the slippery slope toward the SAD way of eating. Two nights in a row I have eaten cheese. It is so addictive for me! I had eliminated it for a few weeks. I'll start again... Yesterday was just a terrible day for me and eating. I'm not sure why except that I didn't have food prepared in advance and I was busy with obligations away from home. I will strive to get back on track today. After I finish work, I will prepare some food to have ready to eat.
Friday
B: blueberries and oatmeal
L: vegetable soup, kamut and brussels sprouts
Snack: veg soup, greens, sweet peppers, onion, mushroom sauté with rice and butterbeans
D: salad, :( flour tortillas (2 small), fat free refried beans, kamut, salsa
cheese during the night...

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :D

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 2/3

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :D

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). cheese during the night

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :D

6. Eliminate any added oil. :D

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.flour tortillas (I’ve got to prep food in advance!!)

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :D

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :D

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).no exercise today
Last edited by moonlight on Sun May 31, 2020 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
moonlight

Postby deweyswakms » Fri May 29, 2020 6:11 am

moonlight wrote:
[list]1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. none of my meals started with soup or salad...

Good morning,

I like how you post the MWL guidelines; that's how to keep them foremost in your mind. I finally made more weight loss progress by following step #1. It's magic! It works. I bought pkg of salad lettuces (too lazy to prep my own), and just have a small bowl before eating anything else.

I love popcorn!! But sadly I learned to only have it as an occasional treat. Last night I wanted 'something', I like crunchy feels in my mouth. So I decided it would be a big carrot. Worked for me.

Good luck, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby moonlight » Fri May 29, 2020 9:02 am

deweyswakms wrote:
moonlight wrote:
[list]1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. none of my meals started with soup or salad...

Good morning,

I like how you post the MWL guidelines; that's how to keep them foremost in your mind. I finally made more weight loss progress by following step #1. It's magic! It works. I bought pkg of salad lettuces (too lazy to prep my own), and just have a small bowl before eating anything else.

I love popcorn!! But sadly I learned to only have it as an occasional treat. Last night I wanted 'something', I like crunchy feels in my mouth. So I decided it would be a big carrot. Worked for me.

Good luck, Marsha

Thanks, Marsha, for dropping by! I need to get focused and get back on track. I have been thinking about prepping some carrots for evening crunchy snack. Thanks for the reminder!

I just changed my goal weight. Maybe psychologically, if I think I'm not too far from my goal weight I will work harder to get there. Really, at this point, I would like to be within the normal range weight instead of overweight. Once I get there I will re-evaluate more weight loss. I hate to focus so much on weight but until I'm at a normal weight, I need to be working toward that goal.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Fri May 29, 2020 3:10 pm

Looking back over the last two weeks I calculated how many days I achieved each guideline. Here's the list from most often achieved to most often not meeting. The guidelines regarding soup/salad before meals and the 50/50 plate rule really should count 3 times each day since I calculate those for 3 meals a day and 1 meal will give the day a 0. I generally follow those principals for lunch and dinner. Breakfast I often don't. I don't feel up to doing a weighted average for those. Looking at the other guidelines, eliminating all higher calorie dense food is the most common break. I'm either eating bread, popcorn, or chips. Not excessively every time but that's the area I need to concentrate on the most. Next is exercise and not stuffing myself. :D Doing this analysis may help me stay focused on those 3 things. I greatly improved on the habits of eating a little dairy and nuts.

3. Reduce or eliminate added sugars and salts
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts).
    4. Eliminate all animal foods.
    6. Eliminate any added oil.
    2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for meals
    8. Don’t drink your calories
    1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
    9. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
    10. Moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods (flour, popcorn)
moonlight

Postby Zoey » Sun May 31, 2020 4:13 am

Moonlight, I understand having that weakness for the crunchy things. I mean, I just can't buy crackers or pretzels anymore. They cannot be in this house, or they will be in my mouth. I'm not so bad with the popcorn, because I have to actually wait for it to pop, so there's a window of time where I can get control. ;-)

I also think it's a good idea to change your goal weight. I say this because when I lowered my daily steps goal, I began easily meeting my former, higher goal. Mental games, I know, but we have to go with what works, right? The little fireworks on my fitbit were just the motivation I needed to keep going, instead of the previous slogging through it and sometimes just giving up.

Hope you're having a great weekend!
Zoey

Postby Zoey » Sun May 31, 2020 4:31 am

deweyswakms wrote:

Good luck, Marsha

Oh, I want to add to Marsha's great idea. I have become a cauliflower addict for this reason. I mean, I know snacking is not a good habit, but... when I can't resist, I just chop up a bowl full of little cauliflower bites. Sometimes I dip them in hot sauce. I mean, if I can't defeat the habit, at least I can make it nutritious? Eh, it's worth a shot!
Zoey

Postby moonlight » Sun May 31, 2020 8:13 am

Zoey, thanks for stopping by. I like the idea of munching on cauliflower! I need to prep some veggies for a snack, then keep my resolve strong. I've started allowing little cheats again. I know this only leads to more and more.... I was on such a roll yesterday until about 11:00 last night. I went in the kitchen and smelled brownies my husband had just cooked... Usually I can ignore these (he makes them regularly). Hopefully, it won't happen again.
Plan for today is to work in my garden. I have until Thursday to turn a grassy plot into a plot with corn and watermelon seeds. :)

Today's Food Intake
B: salad and sweet potato and broccoli
L: salad, kamut, garbanzo beans, and Brussels sprouts

Exercise: over 9,000 steps while hoeing in the garden :D Plants are looking good! :)

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

Saturday
B: veggie sauté with potato
L: salad, veggie soup, sweet potato
D: salad, sweet potato, broccoli
Snacks: banana and blueberries, brownies...
    1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. ;)

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. brownies

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :)

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :) over 11,000 steps working in the garden
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:11 pm

I want to post daily but I keep forgetting! Yesterday started out good but ended bad for staying compliant. I ran off for the afternoon and visited a friend. We drank a little wine which allowed me to drop my guard. Then when I got home I had another glass... I ate two brownies... :rolleyes:
Yesterday, as best I can recall...
    1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.2/3

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.2/3

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. bread, brownies, chips

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).almond milk unsweetened

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).NONE

Today:
B: banana, kamut, sautéed greens
L: vegetable soup, kamut with cilantro sauce and tomatoes

Exercise: gardening

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:43 am

My last time to post was last Tuesday. I'd like to post every day's outcome. I think sometimes I stop posting when I'm not compliant because I can't bring myself to write down the off plan eating. I plan to work on being 100% this week. I've roasted a bunch of Yukon gold potatoes. They are as a replacement for bread. My indulgence of bread needs to stop.
New approach - I'm going to post the whole week in this post. I've copied the MWL guidelines for each day. Can I make it any easier?!?

I just finished reading a great discussion from JefffN on "cheating". The link is in the MWL weigh-in thread from MarkC. Great defense for focusing on the 95% or 99% of compliance. Jeff's advice is to get that 100% of the time and the rest is not so concerning - or that is my interpretation of what he was saying. I think I am working on that but I question whether my off plan indulgences are truly 5%. It may be more... I won't know if I don't keep a record of it. Writing down all of the cheating is like asking a child to describe what they did wrong. Painfully uncomfortable and inaccurate.

I addition to potatoes, I have salad prepped and vegetable soup. Here's to a 100% compliant day and a record to prove it!!

SUNDAY
B: Japanese sweet potato and sautéed greens, onion, and mushrooms YUM!
L: veg soup, wheat berries and brussel sprouts, purple hull peas
Snack: banana
D: veg soup, salad, ww pasta, brussel sprouts, cilantro pesto
Snack: frozen blueberries
Late night snack: 2 brownies...Is that 5%? Probably more. I am weak late at night with someone eating brownies right next to me....Argh
Exercise: 30 minute walk

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.brownies

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :)

MONDAY
Exercise: 30 minutes walking
B: veg soup, corn grits, frozen fruit
L: salad, ww pasta w/ veggie sauté
D: veg soup, rice, purple hull peas, broccoli
Snack: blueberries and banana
2 snack at bedtime: a roasted potato
During the night I couldn't stay asleep and ended up eating. The first time I ate a little rice with nutritional yeast. The next time I ate 2 slices of rye bread with a little jam.... I had a great day then had this problem during the night.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.bread during the night

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :)

TUESDAY
Vegetable soup and rice, mushroom sauté with roasted potatoes
2 servings of purple cabbage, tomatoes, and sweet onion salad
WW pasta, greens, mushroom, onion, eggplant sauté with marinara
I did great today but during another sleepless night I resorted to non-MWL food...

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 3AM snacking...

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. BREAD at 3AM

WEDNESDAY
Exercise: 3 hours gardening
Salad, vegetable soup with rice
Cole slaw, garbanzo beans, and potatoes
Cantaloupe
Now, I have had a good compliant day. Please, can I sleep through the night!!! Or at least not eat if I wake up?!?

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. not much vegetable food eaten today

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :) :)

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. :)

THURSDAY
I made it 24 hours without straying from the MWL guidelines! That feels good.
Exercise: gardening several hours
B: vegetable soup, rice and potatoes (leftovers)
L: big salad, lentil soup, sweet potato
Afternoon:vodka tonic and a handful of chips
D: lentil soup and white pasta with cilantro pesto
Midnight: 2 slices rye bread....

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.2 out of 3 meals

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 2 out of 3 meals

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Chips and bread

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Vodka tonic

FRIDAY
B: salad and baked fries
L: big salad with garbanzo beans
D: salad, ww pasta, marinara sauce, mushrooms, and broccoli
Snacks: banana and frozen berries with toasted oatmeal

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :D

SATURDAY
Weight is down 1 lb. (172 :D )

B: vegetable soup, leftover pasta and veggies
L: big salad and a couple of potatoes
snack: watermelon
D: vegetable soup, rice casserole with crushed tomatoes and Brussels sprouts

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :)

Last edited by moonlight on Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
moonlight

Postby Zoey » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:58 am

Yay moonlight, down a pound! Keep at it, girl! :-D
Zoey

Postby moonlight » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:39 pm

Zoey wrote:Yay moonlight, down a pound! Keep at it, girl! :-D

Hi Zoey,
Yes, I'll celebrate a pound!!! I'll really celebrate next week if I can do it again. I've been on a l-o-n-g streak of not staying compliant enough with the MWL plan to actually lose weight. I'm waiting for my resolve to return. I've done it before. I can do it again!! Reporting on the 10 points every day helps me. I HATE writing down when I veer off the checklist. I feel like such a failure! But, I keep at it, expecting the best!

You are doing so well sticking to it and continuing to lose. I think you said you didn't lose this week, right? Sometimes you get a week like that. You may have eaten more sodium the last few days.

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have a good week! :D
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:21 pm

Yesterday I commented in the Weigh-In forum that I wished I could have more prepped food. Then I went and made a casserole and cooked a bunch of potatoes. I like it when that happens. I made a very tasty casserole that was the easiest thing an unmotivated cook could do. It was only 3 ingredients, plus water and spices. I'm going to list the recipe so I can refer back to it. Also, if you are reading this and want something simple, give it a try.
1 cup uncooked short grain brown rice
1 large can (28 oz) of crushed tomatoes
3 cups frozen Brussels Sprouts
1 C water
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, onion powder
1 Tbsp dried dill weed
Mixed in casserole dish. Cook uncovered 1 hour at 350. Cover and cook another 30 minutes.
I added Tobasco sauce at each serving.

My weight is down 2 more pounds today. I wonder if it will stay down all week. I hope so. I need to get on with losing weight. I'm feeling more focused and like I have the willpower to ignore the cravings. Marking the 10 pt checklist every day is helping, I think. Putting all the days on one post helps, too. It's summertime and I'm incredibly lazy. :D I'll use summer as my excuse anyway.

SUNDAY
Exercise: gardening for 2 hours - planted a Japanese sweet potato bed :D
B: vegetable soup, lentils, and a potato
L: big salad, sautéed greens and mushrooms with bulgur
D: vegetable soup and Rice Casserole
Snack: small serving of tortilla chips and small amount of raisins, watermelon
Midnight snack: bulgur and applesauce

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
    2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.:thumbsup:
    3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.:thumbsup:
    4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).:thumbsup:
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).:thumbsup:
    6. Eliminate any added oil.:thumbsup:
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.:thumbsdown:
    8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).:thumbsup:
    9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.I stuffed myself on watermelon and snacking during the night
    10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :D

MONDAY
Last night I gave in to a craving and had a few chips. Then a few raisins. Then watermelon. I couldn't sleep well, probably from eating too much watermelon... Then I snacked during the night. This is a common set of behaviors that I'm trying to change. Very frustrating to know what I want to do but in a weak moment or evening's time I succumb to old habits. ARGH! However, my bread habit is waning. I haven't had any bread in several days now. Yes! Some things are changing. I need to go to the grocery store today. It is so stressful still for me. In our community very few people wear masks... I wish everyone would wear them since that reduces our chances of getting this virus. We can all feel like freaks together. :)

Exercise: 2 1/2 hours gardening
B: vegetable soup, baked potatoes and onions
L: vegetable soup, navy beans, beet greens, mushrooms, and onions sautéed, bulgur
D: salad, rice and Brussel sprout casserole, leftover baked potatoes and onions

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
    3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
    4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
    6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
    8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
    9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
    10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

TUESDAY
During the night last night I ate white pasta and cheddar cheese... :-(
Exercise: not too much, 1.5 mile walk
L: salad, veggie sauté with Navy beans and bulgur
D: big salad, rice casserole with broccoli

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.:)
    2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.:)
    3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.:)
    4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).cheese
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).:)
    6. Eliminate any added oil.:)
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.White pasta
    8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).:)
    9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.:)
    10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).:)

WEDNESDAY
No midnight eating! Yay! :D
B: oatmeal with blueberries
L: salad, sautéed greens, rice casserole
Snack: canned corn
D: salad, vegetable soup, ww pasta and sautéed greens
Snacks: corn chips,,, watermelon

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.:)
    4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).:)
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). almonds (2 Tbsp)
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. corn chips...
    9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.:)
    10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).no exercise today...

THURSDAY
Yesterday was not a day compliant day for me. I'm not sure why I couldn't keep within the guidelines. I was sitting in the kitchen with my husband when he started making a chips, cheese, and guacamole snack with a margarita. I decided I would eat a few chips and salsa. That might have set me up for cravings later. At dinner time he toasted almonds for his salad. I decided a few almonds needed to go on my salad... Also, the last few days that I've had watermelon, I have added salt. My cumulative salt intake is probably going higher than I normally take in. During the night I ate a small serving of white pasta... I need to stay out of the kitchen in the afternoon and evening when my husband is cooking or eating!! Today I will get back on the MWL plan with another 100% compliance day. I have the willpower to do this. :D

Food compliant today but I never got in any exercise...
B: watermelon, sautéed greens and potato
L: salad, ww pasta, basil pesto with navy beans
D: vegetable soup, brussel sprouts, onions, and butternut squash roasted, bulgur

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.white pasta
    10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).NONE...

FRIDAY
Exercise: 1 1/2 hours hoeing
B: vegetable soup, bulgur, and sautéed greens
L: salad, sautéed greens, potato
D: salad, ww pasta with basil and bean pesto
Snacks: bad snacks tonight... I'm not sure why but I decided to have 3 butterscotch brownies
Midnight snacking: cheese

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.:)
    2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.:)
    4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :( cheese
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).:)
    6. Eliminate any added oil.:)
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :( brownies

SATURDAY
The slippery slope into off plan eating is very slick for me! Last night I ate a little off plan then today I continued with a little this and that. I have been a little depressed the last few days and I was very tired and sore from work I did on Friday. This was not a good day for me. Hopefully a good night's sleep and some focused attention to prepping food will turn this around. Today I mostly ate ww pasta....
    1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :(
    2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :(
    3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :(
    4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :(
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :(
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. air-popped popcorn :(
    8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :(
    9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :(
Last edited by moonlight on Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:16 am

SUNDAY
So, even though yesterday turned out to be a bust for my MWL endeavors, I am pleased with my progress. I have managed to drop and couple of pounds and keep them off. I'm at 172 now. My routine is to focus on food and have what I need prepared so I can eat within the guidelines. Days like yesterday just reinforce the importance of being prepared. It doesn't take much for me to fall off the wagon. With COVID concerns, I have not eaten in a restaurant in over 3 months. Our city is slowly opening up, allowing restaurants to be open. However, I'm going to use this time to continue to eat only food that I prepare. It's healthier for me due to my diet concerns and I'm finding other ways to socialize with friends.

I made a very good vegetable soup with okra and tomatoes. Yum!

Again gardening is my exercise today :D

B: vegetable soup, kamut, sweet potato, cooked cabbage and brussel sprouts
L: vegetable soup, rice casserole with broccoli
D: salad, vegetable soup, potatoes
Midnight snack: 2 slices of bread and banana

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
    3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
    4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
    6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. bread...
    8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
    9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :thumbsup:

MONDAY

B: oatmeal and banana
L: vegetable soup, pinto beans, bulgur, salsa, and onion
Snack: bread from Fresh Mrkt
D: salad, greens, and kamut
snack: watermelon

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :(
    6. Eliminate any added oil. :(
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :(

TUESDAY
B: greens and butternut squash
L: sourdough bread and fresh tomato with vegenaise
D: ww pasta, tomato sauce, and brussel sprouts
Snack: watermelon and tortilla chips

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :(

WEDNESDAY
I need to get a grip. Bread is sooo addictive right now. A little taste and I"m back to eating it,,, My husband bought sourdough bread. I didn't resist for long.... The last two days have NOT been bread-free.

This morning I made a cauliflower-potato Alfredo type sauce for pasta. It's good. I didn't use any salt. I used a little paprika, Ms. Dash, and onion powder. I also added a can of green chilies. I'm feeling like I'm going to be back on the MWL plan with no exceptions or very few. (I'm trying to not expect perfection out of myself!)

B: small bowl of oatmeal
L: vegetable soup, ww pasta with sautéed greens and mushrooms with Cauliflower sauce

THURSDAY
FRIDAY
I broke my plans for breakfast and it just continued for lunch and dinner. It's so easy to justify and compromise then the one compromise grows to two, then three...

B: ww pita bread and sautéed greens and butternut squash
L: veggie sub with fried eggplant
D: Curried vegetables (coconut milk) with steamed white rice
Snack: watermelon, chocolate peanut clusters
    3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :(
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :(
SATURDAY
Exercise: 30 minute walk
B: sautéed greens with butternut squash
L: salad, bulgur, Grandpa's beanloaf, veggie gumbo
D: vegetable gumbo, bulgur, raw veggies in with bulgur
Snack: corn chips and sourdough bread with homemade jam I think the corn chips are all gone. I'll ask my husband to not buy them for a while,,,,

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 2/3
    2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 2/3
    3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. homemade jam,,,
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.corn chips and bread
moonlight

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals