Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby Zoey » Sat May 09, 2020 9:33 am

Yippee, glad you're ready to get back to it! My private journal is becoming a little less depressing. I'm just trying to be thankful that my body is doing what it was designed to do, even when I may not like it. Ugh. ; )
Zoey

Postby moonlight » Sun May 10, 2020 8:15 am

Thanks, Zoey! I'm glad to see you posting in the MWL weigh-in. We are doing this!! I hope you have a good MWL day! :D

I've got a good veggie soup to look forward to today. I have bulgur and cut up veggies ready in the refrigerator for quick snacks. I have a whole baked eggplant ready to make into something, too.

Food Activities Today:
9:30: sweet potato and banana
1:00 salad, vegetable lentil soup
2:30 veggie soup, potatoes and cilantro pesto
4:30 a margarita :eek:
7:30 salad, veggie soup, bulgur, and brussel sprouts

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
    6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsdown: margarita

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :thumbsup:

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:
moonlight

Postby Zoey » Mon May 11, 2020 11:52 am

Oh moonlight, I did NOT have a good MWL day yesterday. Some of it had to do with one of your challenges, the nuts. But mistakes are OK as long as you learn from them and don't repeat them. And I certainly learned! Totally back on track today, and getting ready to go on a nice long walk.
How's your day so far?
Zoey

Postby moonlight » Tue May 12, 2020 8:44 am

Zoey wrote:Oh moonlight, I did NOT have a good MWL day yesterday. Some of it had to do with one of your challenges, the nuts. But mistakes are OK as long as you learn from them and don't repeat them. And I certainly learned! Totally back on track today, and getting ready to go on a nice long walk.
How's your day so far?

Uh Oh!! I'm sorry those nuts jumped into your mouth before you were able to build up your defense line! Glad you got control of it! These sneaky nuts. We must keep our guard up! I have succeeded in keeping the nuts out of my mouth this week. Now, flour products are sneaking by, some but not a full blown break. For me, for this week, focusing on only keeping the nuts out of my diet is working. I'm looking forward to the day that I can control my evening by not snacking if I am not hungry. I have a very strong desire to snack at least a couple of times in the evening. Most of the time it doesn't have anything to do with being hungry. :eek:

Yesterday I had a wonderful day. I went hiking in the National Park - one of my favorite places to hike. The park reopened on Sunday. I was able to hike with a friend, practicing social distancing guidelines. We hiked on a little used trail. The people we encountered were respectful and practiced social distancing as well. It was a really nice day. Feeling somewhat like life as before this pandemic. I saw so many spring wildflowers that I thought were going to bloom and flourish without me getting to ooh and ahh over them. :)

Cheers to a maximum MWL day!!

Yesterday's Food Intake
B: oatmeal
L: potato, bulgur, raw veggies
Snack: 2 Halo oranges
D: salad, soup, bulgur, black beans, salsa
Snack: air-popped popcorn
Snack: frozen fruit nice cream
Snack: gingersnap cookies

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Only did this for dinner
    2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.Did this for lunch and dinner
    3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
    4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).:thumbsup:
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).:thumbsup:
    6. Eliminate any added oil.:thumbsup:
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.Greatly failed here by eating gingersnaps....
    8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).:thumbsup:
    9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.A little stuffing of gingersnap cookies...
    10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).:thumbsup:

Today's Food Adventure
B: vegetable stir-fry with potatoes
L: coleslaw and eggplant curry dish with brown rice
D: coleslaw, kale sauté, baked potato fries
air-popped popcorn
gingersnaps

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :)

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :)

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.:)

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :)

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :)

6. Eliminate any added oil. :)

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. gingersnaps...

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :)

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. gingersnaps...

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :(
Last edited by moonlight on Thu May 14, 2020 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby Zoey » Thu May 14, 2020 3:36 am

Oh no, you have a gingersnap weakness, too? I'm so sorry. I can't be let off-leash around them. I let myself have them around Christmas time. And now I want them just writing about them. Ugh.
I regained control over the jumping nuts, though, so that's something.
Let's keep enjoying the great outdoors for now!
Zoey

Postby moonlight » Thu May 14, 2020 5:23 am

Thanks, Zoey! :) Onward!! Two nights of stuffing myself with gingersnaps is enough! I don't even really like them all that much. I knew they were in the kitchen... last night I managed not to eat any. Also, I'm not eating nuts, so improvements in evening snacking. Yay!!

Yesterday was fairly good food-wise for me. I started working again yesterday so it was a little more hectic. Thankfully I'm working from home.

I need more soup! I'm not going to the grocery store often enough to keep fresh salad fixings... Today is a big day for gardening! Finally it is warm enough to put out tomatoes and peppers. I'll be planting today so I'll get plenty of exercise. :)

Yesterday's Food Intake
B: veggie sauté with potatoes
L: coleslaw and eggplant curry with brown rice
D: vegetables, chickpeas, and WW pasta with marinara
air-popped popcorn

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.only one meal

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :)

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :)

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :D

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :D

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.popcorn

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :)

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :)

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).no exercise again :(

Today's Food Adventures:
B: apple, kale & onion sauté, brown rice
L: veggies and ww pasta
Afternoon cocktail hour: vodka gimlet (2)
D: veggies and brown rice
evening snacks: popcorn and fruit smoothie
middle of night: 2 slices bread
Exercise: gardening 7400 steps

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.breakfast only

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :D

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :D

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :D

6. Eliminate any added oil. :D

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. popcorn and sliced bread

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).cocktail hour

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :D

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :D
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Fri May 15, 2020 5:52 am

More gardening today! I should get plenty of exercise today.
Today's Food Adventures:
B: greens, coleslaw sauté with WW pasta
L: frozen mixed veggies with brown rice
D: veggies sautéed with WW pasta
Snacks: tortilla chips :(
Midnight: WW pasta :(

Exercise: gardening and walking

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.Not so much...

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :D

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :D

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.tortilla chips...

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :D

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :)

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :D
Last edited by moonlight on Sat May 16, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby squealcat » Fri May 15, 2020 7:01 am

Moonlight: I have been reading your journal and enjoying your comments. I, too, like to read about habits and how they affect us. Working on some of my habits has helped me make changes that I hope will be permanent. The one you wrote about (at the top of this page) that said if we were 100% certain we would achieve our goals ....etc.... made me think ! Would I act different? Would I get to that goal faster? Anyway, I am re-reading the book by James Clear called "Atomic Habits". I have gotten a lot out of it.

A favorite quote from him: " Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become. No single instance will transform your beliefs, but as the votes build up, so does the evidence of your new identity" .

I think about this and it helps me to realize that if I want to be a healthy, energetic, happy person and live to be 100 while still healthy, energetic and happy then I need to, every day, just ACT like it and put in those votes to become that person. I think following MWL guidlines is a way to "vote" for myself.

Well, I will stop with my blah, blah, blah..... Just wanted you to know that I like your journal !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby moonlight » Sat May 16, 2020 8:56 am

squealcat wrote:Moonlight: I have been reading your journal and enjoying your comments. I, too, like to read about habits and how they affect us. Working on some of my habits has helped me make changes that I hope will be permanent. The one you wrote about (at the top of this page) that said if we were 100% certain we would achieve our goals ....etc.... made me think ! Would I act different? Would I get to that goal faster? Anyway, I am re-reading the book by James Clear called "Atomic Habits". I have gotten a lot out of it.

A favorite quote from him: " Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become. No single instance will transform your beliefs, but as the votes build up, so does the evidence of your new identity" .

I think about this and it helps me to realize that if I want to be a healthy, energetic, happy person and live to be 100 while still healthy, energetic and happy then I need to, every day, just ACT like it and put in those votes to become that person. I think following MWL guidlines is a way to "vote" for myself.

Well, I will stop with my blah, blah, blah..... Just wanted you to know that I like your journal !

-squealcat

Thanks, Marilyn, for stopping by! You are so right about living each day as if we are the people we want to become. We really are already. That person is inside just waiting to be allowed to be out! This lifestyle is a journey. Votes every day to continuing and doing the best we can will get us to our perceived realities!

I just did a grocery store run. It's early in the morning. Not many people. It was nice to feel relaxed while shopping. I loaded my cart with fresh vegetables. That feels good. Two food adventures this week will be turnips and speckled butterbeans frozen fresh. I bought 3 turnips at the store. I guess I'll make soup with them.

Plan today: gardening
Plan for tonight: Eat fruit for evening snack

Food Adventures for Today:
B: salad, greens, sweet peppers, onion, and mushrooms with bulgur and speckled butterbeans.
L: baked potato fries with ketchup
D: salad, watermelon, corn, butter beans, 2 slices ww bread
Snacks during the night: corn and pasta salad

Exercise: 9,114 steps gardening (I’m making a corn and watermelon patch with hand tools only, breaking new ground where there’s grass. It’s 24 ft. square. I figure I’ll develop some good core muscles even if the corn doesn’t grow well.)

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 2/3

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 1/3

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :)

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :)

6. Eliminate any added oil. pasta salad

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. whole wheat bread

moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sun May 17, 2020 6:27 am

The notion of believing 100% that I can lose all the weight I need to lose and keep it off is pretty daunting right now. I have been stuck at 174 for a long time. I may go down some but I gain it back. It is very frustrating. I feel like my body/mind is demanding I stay at this weight. I know if I could manage to follow the 10 pt. checklist closer I would start losing again. I have just never fully let go of some foods, like bread. Also, I snack too much at night out of habit, not hunger. I keep thinking I can lose weight and eat bread and popcorn at night. I bought whole wheat bread yesterday. :( I had resisted bread for a couple of weeks... Now I have to start over with eliminating it while the loaf is in my freezer... Argh!

Today is a big gardening day! The weather is perfect for seed planting. I'll plant butterbeans, bush beans, purple hull peas, and cucumbers. I have eggplant plants ready to go in the ground, along with jalapeno and cayanne pepper plants. The squash and zucchini plants are coming up. The greens bed is finally producing enough greens for a week between pickings. :)

I plan to make gazpacho soup this morning so it can be chilling. :)

Food Intake Today
B: salad and greens, mushroom, sweet pepper, onion sauté with bulgur

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

6. Eliminate any added oil.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sat May 23, 2020 2:56 pm

Somehow I lost the desire to post last week. I had a fairly good week with compliance of the MWL plan. A few hiccups along the way, though. I will keep striving for perfection on this checklist! So far today I'm off to a good start. I finally made gazpacho soup so hopefully I will check point # 1 off my list this week. :) I'm thinking about making some eggplant curry and rice for dinner.

B: banana and oatmeal
L: salad, bulgur, broccoli, and cauliflower. 20 minutes later: sweet potato and brussel sprouts (All of these lunch items were the last of leftovers.)
D: gazpacho, navy beans, greens, 2 slices of bread
Snacks: baked potato fries, bulgur, 1 slice bread and banana

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.2/3

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.3/3

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.2/3

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :D

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :( Ate too much for snacks...

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :(
Last edited by moonlight on Sun May 24, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby Zoey » Sun May 24, 2020 5:16 am

Hi moonlight! How's the garden coming along? We've purchased everything, but haven't set it out yet. Things keep getting in the way. Maybe this week?
Good to hear from you!
Zoey

Postby moonlight » Sun May 24, 2020 9:02 am

Zoey wrote:Hi moonlight! How's the garden coming along? We've purchased everything, but haven't set it out yet. Things keep getting in the way. Maybe this week?
Good to hear from you!

Hi Zoey! Do you typically have a garden or is this new in the year of sheltering? I'm almost finished planting mine. I'm still working on a plot for corn and watermelon. I have little okra, butterbean, bush bean, and cucumber plants coming up. I have a variety of bell peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, summer squash and zucchini. I love summer gardens! This year I made a bean teepee. It looks pretty cute. I plan to make a windsock to put on top to discourage birds from visiting. What are you planning for your garden?

So, food wise, I didn't keep to the MWL plan yesterday. I'm going to strive for 100% today. I'm doing a 21-Day meditation program on abundance. Today's phrase is "Today I make great choices because they are made with full awareness." My plan is to be mindful of this phrase when choosing my food.

I made a "breakfast" soup this morning similar to my concept of egg drop soup. It is really a veggie broth with shredded cabbage, carrots, garlic, scallions, and mushrooms. I ate a snack at 3:00 AM - banana and a slice of bread. I'm not hungry now so I will just have soup for breakfast.

B: soup
L: gazpacho, potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower
L2: watermelon, whole wheat bread, navy beans sloppy joe style with kale
D: gazpacho, whole wheat pasta with cilantro pesto and tomatoes
More bread during the night. I had trouble staying asleep....
Exercise: 45 minutes gardening

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :)

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.:)

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.bread

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. overeating during the night because I couldn't sleep. I'll be glad when I break this habit...

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :)
Last edited by moonlight on Mon May 25, 2020 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
moonlight

Postby Zoey » Mon May 25, 2020 3:15 am

Oh moonlight, you are ambitious! I have tinkered with gardening for about the past ten years, yet I'm still no good at it. I'll just have the basics this year: lots of herbs plus tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, different types of squash, and okra. I've always had great success with peppers, and then we never eat them, so I probably won't even bother this year.

And when I get a chance this week, I'm definitely throwing together some of that soup you mentioned. I'm a sucker for garlic and mushrooms, and that sounds perfect. Thanks for the idea!
Zoey

Postby jan_npr » Mon May 25, 2020 6:26 am

I can so relate Zoey. I'm 62 and it seems so much more difficult to lose weight now. And I love to hike/walk, my favourite thing really, but my knees can talk back to me if I overdo it.

I just started MWL a week ago and I'm loving it. Hubby doing it with me although he has little to lose.

We can do this! I've seen some very inspirational stories as I'm sure you have too with woman of a certain age.
jan_npr

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals