Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby moonlight » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:20 am

I totally understand the feeling that you choose to eat off plan. It is a step above feeling out-of-control. I think each day we feel more in control, even if it means choosing to eat something off plan, builds up our resolve. Sounds like you are not as anxious and you're getting the Pleasure Trap Ego under control. Yom Yom!!
moonlight

Postby Michele613 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks for the smile. I've reached levels before where I "THOUGHT" I had the pleasure trap under control only to be hit with an unexpected tornado of destruction out of nowhere. I find that I have to 'affirm' EVERY DAY at various times throughout the day to be 'resolved' with G-d's loving help, to stay on plan. It's not like this program is for someone else...it is for US...others will benefit by our increased self-love and energy but truly it is for US. A non-selfish but selfless act of giving to ourselves everyday.

Have you EVER FELT that true, freedom of being comfortable in yourself image where those positive emotions and self-love just exude from you? I have not been fat (hate that word) - overweight.. all my life but am, as I may have said before now late in life and I just don't remember feeling good about my weight for a very long time. I have experienced feeling pleased with 'my looks' now and then when I dress up for a wedding or other event but not on a daily basis. I'd like to experience that 'truly'. I think everyone would but most of us don't realize what we're missing out on because it's too painful to reflect on or too painful or burdensome to pursue.

Thanks for the support...maybe I'll be one of the few that make it to the end...see you at the goal line too. :)
Michele613

Postby moonlight » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:47 am

July :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :\ :D :D :D :? :| :D :) 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

So, late last night I ate a few bites of cheese that I knew was in the refridgerator. I hate that. I'm getting rid of the rest of the cheese today. I hate that my willpower isn't always as strong as I'd like. I read about people who are not tempted at all. I'm not sure how they do it... That was a small slip up. (I still gave myself a smiley face, just not super great smiley face.) I'm going to focus on how good the rest of my day went. I actually started exercising again. Tonight I plan to find another activity besides watching TV... I'm setting my intention on getting myself a green smiley face today! (Which would mean I achieved all these check points!)

60 minutes rowing :mrgreen:

Today's Food Diary:
salad, sweet potato, broccoli
orzo salad, sweet potato
popcorn
chickpeas
orzo with tomato sauce and roasted okra

Eliminate All Animal Foods :thumbsup:
Eliminate All Oils :thumbsup:
Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods :thumbsup:
Eliminate All Flour Products :thumbsup:
Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes :thumbsup:
Eat Legumes :thumbsup:
Make Green & Yellow Vegetables 1/2 to 1/3 of meals :thumbsup:
Eat Uncooked Foods (Vegetables) :thumbsup:
Restrict Fresh Fruit: 1-2 Ser/day; Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree/Juice :thumbsup:
Use Simple Sugar Sparingly :thumbsup:
Make exercise a part of each day :thumbsup:
Last edited by moonlight on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
moonlight

Postby sirdle » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:26 am

You can do this, Moonlight!

Looking forward to seeing a nice, green smiley tomorrow morning!

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby moonlight » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:14 am

Thank you, Sirdle, for the support!! It's amazing how many times a day I consider going off the MWL food plan. I must really be on top of my game to keep compliant. Yesterday was great! I even got in some good exercise. BTW, I love the Zen proverb. So very true.

Today's Food Diary:
McAlister's veggie spud (no cheese sauce)
WW orzo, lettuce and tomato salad
Potatoes and broccoli

Exercise: 30 minutes rowing :D

Restrict Fresh Fruit: 1-2 Ser/day; Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree/Juice :thumbsup:

July :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :\ :D :D :D :? :| :D :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Last edited by moonlight on Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
moonlight

Postby sirdle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:52 am

Excellent! Good comeback!
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby moonlight » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:53 am

July :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :\ :D :D :D :? :| :D :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Ahhh.... I think I'm getting into a groove.

Food Diary Today:
oatmeal with blueberries
bulgur, chickpeas, and raw veggie salad
potatoes, eggplant, tomato

Exercise: 30 minutes on rower

Last edited by moonlight on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
moonlight

Postby Michele613 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:09 am

That's the spirit!! Good for you....keep it up. Happy for you (I'm actually eating 100% non-compliant food at the moment so I am thrilled to know that someone made the healthier and correct choice today).
Michele613

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:18 am

@moonlight , getting in the groove definitely makes I difference I believe. I'm in the groove right now too, and it makes things easier. I think a bit less about what I need to eat, and just eat what's allowed. Dang, that's kind of easy.

Keep it up!
AnnetteW

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:20 pm

Yay for getting into a groove! Keep it up grrrrl. :unibrow:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:34 am

July :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :\ :D :D :D :? :| :D :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Thank you for the support. It really helps keep me motivated! Another 100% compliant day AND this morning I stepped on the scales. I'm down 2 lbs. :D Woot! Woot!

Exercise: gardening for 3 hours

Food Diary for Today:
super salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, chickpeas, and bulgar

Eliminate All Animal Foods
Eliminate All Oils
Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods
Eliminate All Flour Products
Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes
Eat Legumes
Make Green & Yellow Vegetables 1/2 to 1/3 of meals
Eat Uncooked Foods (Vegetables)
Restrict Fresh Fruit: 1-2 Ser/day; Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree/Juice
Use Simple Sugar Sparingly
Make exercise a part of each day
Last edited by moonlight on Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:37 pm

I’ve lost track of my journal. A friend of mine lost her son to suicide on Thursday. I’ve been with her a lot. I also went on a meditation retreat Friday evening through Sunday afternoon. It’s amazing it worked for me to be on the retreat during this time while also supporting my friend. I hope to be back on a regular schedule tomorrow. My diet plan has been hit or miss while with my friend. At the retreat there was excellent Whole Foods, plenty of good food. There was oil and nuts mixed in but it didn’t seem excessive and I walked a lot. I’m looking forward to achieving green smiley faces soon.
moonlight

Postby Michele613 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:44 pm

So sorry for your friend's loss in such a tragic way. :cry: Happy that G-d gave you the retreat to help keep you strong as you gave over some of your strength to your friend.

Good job on your eating under such trying circumstances.

Have a great week!
Michele613

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:13 am

That is so tragic, and so sad. I'm sorry for your friend and her family, so much pain. You were a good friends, now it's time to take care of yourself again. So very sorry.
AnnetteW

Postby keithswife » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:23 am

So very sorry for your friend's loss. I cannot imagine their pain. But bless you for being such a good friend.
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf
keithswife

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals