Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby moonlight » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:54 pm

I had another great day. I hiked this morning for exercise. 3 miles. I've been doing great staying within the MWL guidelines. No nighttime eating. :D I made a vegetable lasagna with WW noodles, lots of veggies from last year"s garden. It is very good.

Eliminate All Animal Foods :thumbsup:

Eliminate All Oils :thumbsup:

Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods :thumbsup:

Eliminate All Flour Products :thumbsup:

Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes :thumbsup:

Eat Legumes :thumbsup:

Make Green & Yellow Vegetables 1/2 to 1/3 of meals :thumbsup:

Eat Uncooked Foods (Vegetables) :thumbsup:

Restrict Fresh Fruit: 1-2 Ser/day; Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree/Juice :thumbsup:

Use Simple Sugar Sparingly :thumbsup:

Make exercise a part of each day :thumbsup:

July Countdown
July :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:30 am

I'm still staying with my MWL guidelines. Last night I vaguely wanted something to eat, like I was craving a certain taste. The last few months, I may have tried to satisfy the craving, but last night I didn't. I ate another potato and went to bed. It worked. :D
My plan today is to stay home. I'm really not interested in going to any parties. I'd like to spend some time in the kitchen cutting up raw veggies, making a soup, and freezing some of the massive amounts of kale I've got in the garden.
My July Countdown has me motivated! I keep thinking I want to prove to myself that I can stick to this diet plan for 31 days.

Restrict Fresh Fruit: 1-2 Ser/day; Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree/Juice :thumbsup:

July Countdown
July :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:17 pm

I've been watching Well Your Health YouTube videos. They are great. He cooks basically MWL compliant meals, so very simply. Nice to watch someone else cook.
Another rockin' day!

July Countdown
July :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:16 pm

Another good day! Today I had two eating challenges that I manageed very well. I made lunch for some friends. I served them cheese and I didn't eat any. Then I went out for dinner. I ordered steamed veggies and steamed brown rice and vegetable sushi. I was really happy I was able to do that. Sometimes I just decide at the last minute to get an entree that I know has oil in it. The steamed vegetables were very good. Yay, me. :D My friend that I was eating dinner with was telling me all about his keto-like supervised diet that he pays a ton of money for. He's lost 50 lbs and feels really good about himself. I decided not to rain on his parade. He knows my diet plan is very different from his and that I don't eat any animal products whatsoever. If he asks more questions, I'll talk to him about it.
I walked my dog today and got in 8,817 steps (3.8 miles).

July Countdown
July :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Last edited by moonlight on Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby AnnetteW » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:39 am

Just poppin' in to say "hi" since you were so kind to read my new journal. I read back a couple pages to try to get to know you a bit. I definitely see a similar challenge, and that's eating out. I have opportunities to eat out much too often with my girlfriends, and I will be working through that issue.

Take care.
AnnetteW

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:53 pm

I like your simple calendar thingy, with all the Greens smiling at you! What a great way to keep at it, and very motivating, I know! Well done on eating such simple steamed rice and vegs at a restaurant :nod: well done! And not eating that cheese...Count me impressed. :unibrow:

I'mma check out that youtuber. It's time for some non-murder-mystery videos LOL
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:16 am

Annette and Buns, thanks for encouraging words of solidarity! We can do this!

Buns, did you find the YouTube videos? It's Dillon Holmes and his site is called Well Your World. I said Health before...

I'm still working my July Challenge. I had a slip on Sunday night with some wine then off diet food. Argh. So much for a perfect month of big grinning smiley faces... I'm still feeling the fierce urgency to stay 100% to the eating plan. I think the alcohol messed me up. And, I didn't give much thought to drinking the wine. A long time friend came over who I had not seen in a long time. I don't think it really occurred to me to not drink with her. Duh. I'll be better prepared next time.

I have had a very sore right hip and back. This has been recurring. I have an appointment with my doctor to get a referral to someone who might can see if anything can be done. I have not exercised since Saturday. I'm planning to get in some rowing today. (On my July challenge calendar I put a yellow grinning smiley face if I was compliant with food but not exercise.)

My food choices have been excellent since the Night of the Muffins. I made an awesome vegetable lasagna on Sunday. I used up some of last year's vegetables. I roasted the vegetables. I made an awesome sauce out of white beans and roasted garlic and used that instead of ricotta cheese. I had some potato and kale soup that was real thick and I used that, too. It was layers of sweet vegetables between layers of whole wheat lasagna noodles. Very good.

July Countdown
July :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :\ :D :D :D 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Food Today:
cooked kale and potato with horseradish sauce
spring mix greens and tomato salad
mock tuna salad
sweet potato and chili
popcorn
rice and cilantro sauce (1/2 cup)
vegetable lasagna
a little more WW pasta

I'm going to wait until tomorrow to get back to exercising because of my sore back, which is healing. I moved around quite a bit today picking vegetables from the garden and brushing my big long-haired dog. :)

Make exercise a part of each day :(
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:29 am

I made it all day yesterday eating only MWL food. I decided to take some med to help me sleep better and be out of pain. I can see how people get addicted to pain medication when they have chronic pain. So hard to sleep with pain... I'm hoping to try rowing today. In some weird way, I wonder if the exercise will relieve the pain. I have an appointment tomorrow to talk about this pain with my doctor. Argh..

I'm aware that it is much easier to stay on my diet plan while living alone. The trigger foods have been thrown away or put in the freezer. There's still some cheese in the refrigerator but it is not tempting me. Now, if crackers or chips were in the cabinet...
I'm eating a lot more raw salad. It's easy with the fresh tomatoes from our garden. :)
I started drinking 1/2 decaf with 1/2 regular coffee today. I'm hoping I can ween myself off of caffeine soon. I also stopped adding salt to my food.

July :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :\ :D :D :D :? 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Food Intake Today:
sweet potato
lettuce and tomato; black bean chili and ww pasta
chips, guacamole, and margarita :shock:
garbanzo beans
sweet potato

Eliminate All Oils :tear:
Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods :tear:
Eliminate All Flour Products :tear:
Use Simple Sugar Sparingly :tear:
Last edited by moonlight on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:03 pm

moonlight wrote:Annette and Buns, thanks for encouraging words of solidarity! We can do this!

Buns, did you find the YouTube videos? It's Dillon Holmes and his site is called Well Your World. I said Health before...

I finally remembered to check him out. Definitely going to listen. He has lots of interesting looking vids. :unibrow:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:52 pm

So, yesterday afternoon I met a friend at a restaurant for a margarita. I had the drink plus some chips and gaucamole. I didn't overeat and I didn't have anything with cheese. Maybe next time I will find a MWL compliant appetizer and drink unsweet tea or water...

I'm right back on plan today. I went to the doc about my back. My BP was 120/74. That was much better than the last time when it wasin the high 130's/high 80's. I wonder if the reducion in caffeine and salt is the reason. It was a pleasant surprise.

Food Intake Today:
potato and kale soup
lettuce, tomato, chickpea salad with awesome homemade dressing
Potato and kale soup
Roasted veggies and bulgar

Eliminate All Flour Products :? Some ww bread

Use Simple Sugar Sparingly :? some honey to go with my bread...

Make exercise a part of each day Not yet.
Last edited by moonlight on Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby Michele613 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:36 pm

Margarita is a great drink for Summer time...as I recall it usually has a ring of salt unless you have it over the rocks. Sounds good! Those tropical drinks are too delicious ... yum.

You really hold yourself accountable with those charts. I guess I'll need to get back on track by doing that too as it at least reminds me of what I ate and what I liked to eat. Still haven't come up with those basic 5-10 meal plans worth repeating...non of 'em seem to include pizza and ice coffee (actually I guess I could make both of those compliant with planning).

You're an inspiration and to get through this challenge we do require "grit and determination'.

Have a great week of healthy choice making!!
Michele613

Postby moonlight » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:00 am

July :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :\ :D :D :D :? :| :D :) 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

So, today I have already done some exercise. My back is much better. :) And, my eating has been good for over 24 hours. :lol:

Today's Food Diary:
chickpeas, bulgur, and homemade tomatillo salsa Yum!
lettuce and tomato salad
Yukon Gold potatoes, roasted, and roasted broccoli
WW pasta with tomato sauce and salad
banana and blueberry smoothie
1/2 oz CHEESE :mad:

Eliminate All Animal Foods :mad: I ate a few bites of cheese late at night...
Last edited by moonlight on Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
moonlight

Postby Michele613 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:03 am

Well good for you....as we say: yom (pronounced like home with a 'y' )=== yom yom....means day by day. For some of us it could be minute by tempting minute. Now onto another day of success!
Michele613

Postby moonlight » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:05 am

Thanks, Michele! Yom to you as well! As I sometimes like to say, One step at a time....
moonlight

Postby Michele613 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:15 am

Yes...everything is 'one step at a time....be it an addiction plan or even a project. We must try in baby steps sometimes because eventually, as we know, most babies do learn to walk. So I misled you in the way I presented it: It is 'yom yom' = day by day. When I ask my friends how they are doing that is the most common reply as we are all trying to live our best, day by day. This can also be interpreted to mean 'living in the moment, which is in 'today' and not in yesterday or tomorrow.

In any language: you are doing well and to say 'I did it' today is saying something...for today, I can't say that but I can say that I 'consciously chose' to eat outside the program. Maybe that's an excuse but I choose to look at it as that was just my reality today but tomorrow I have higher goals. :) :)
Michele613

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals