Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby moonlight » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:24 am

SUNDAY A 10pt. Day!
Last week was totally on the not good MWL compliance week! Wow! Was I just rebelling?!? I will concentrate to get back on track. It's so hard to fight off the cravings. I'm so surprised I don't change my behavior knowing how hard it's going to be.... Anyway, onward with a renewed sense of optimism! And, some vegetable soup ready in the fridge! I also made Grandpa's beanloaf yesterday. I can overeat that dish but I felt like I needed some comfort tasty food.
It feels like it's going to be a 10 pt. day!
Exercise: Gardening :D
B: sweet potato and banana
L: salad, vegetable soup, bulgur and brussel sprouts
D: salad, potatoes and broccoli
Snacks: watermelon

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 2/3
    2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 3/3
    3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :)
    4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :)
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :)
    6. Eliminate any added oil. :)
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :)
    8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :)
    9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :)
    10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :)
MONDAY
Exercise: I got in a nice 30 minute hike today with a friend. :)
I'm enjoying eating more and more produce from the garden. It's beautiful. The rainbow chard and lacinato kale are so pretty! I had a nice serving of chard, mushrooms, and garlic for breakfast with a sweet potato and I get hungry until about 4:00. The power of greens!!

B: sautéed greens with a sweet potato
L: vegetable gumbo, sautéed greens with kamut, garbanzo beans and tasty mustard dressing (mustard, rice vinegar, water, red curry paste)
D: salad, mashed potatoes, beanloaf, broccoli
Snacks: corn chips, peanuts...

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :)
    2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :)
    3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :)
    4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :)
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :(
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. corn chips
    8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :)
    9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :)
    10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :)
TUESDAY
Today I woke up with a headache that I could not get rid of... I had to work on the computer all day getting CEU's to keep my license. I totally went off the rails with MWL plan in the late afternoon... Emotional eating for sure...

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :)
    2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 2/3
    4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :mad:
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :mad:
    6. Eliminate any added oil. :mad:
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :mad:
    8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :mad:
    10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :mad:

WEDNESDAY
Okay, today I get back on track. No more computer work. I feel better today, no headache. Now, with every headache or sniffle I think the worst, that I have gotten the virus.... I really wish I would start back meditating... I wonder what it will take besides wishing.
B: salad, oatmeal, blueberries
L: vegetable gumbo, potato, ww pasta, sautéed greens and summer squash

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
    2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
    3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
    4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
    6. Eliminate any added oil.
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
    8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
    9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
    10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
THURSDAY
    2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
    3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
    8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
    9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
    10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
FRIDAY
SATURDAY
I have not posted for a couple of days. This happens when I'm not so compliant. I HATE writing out what I ate that is not MWL compliant. I'm going to try and keep better notes about the GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY!!
Somehow I lost weight this week. I guess I would have lost 2-3 pounds if I had stayed compliant. I went on a strenuous 8 mile hike Thursday. I worked pretty hard hoeing in the garden yesterday and today so that probably made me let go of a pound. I've already lapsed twice today. I will do my best to finish the day staying on plan!!
Exercise: 2 1/2 hours gardening (17,174 steps!)
B: cucumber salad, chard, garlic, butternut squash sautéed, small Japanese sweet potato
L: watermelon, beanloaf and flour tortilla
Snack: tomato and 2 slices sourdough bread and 1 1/2 Tbsp vegenaise AND chocolate peanut clusters!! Argh!

moonlight

Postby *Valerie* » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:32 am

I just wanted to say hello after your comment on my thread. I've taken your advice and had brussells sprouts with rice for breakfast - there's a first time for everything! I'm setting myself a challenge to eat greens at every meal for the next week.

Hope you're having a great day.
*Valerie*

Postby moonlight » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:02 am

Thanks, Valerie, for stopping by. :) I hope you start feeling much better soon. You have really found the best diet to help you heal.

Today I am recommitting to strict adherence to the 10 pt. checklist. Somehow my resolve slipped. All it takes is a few bites of something off plan and my taste buds go into high drive, wanting more!! When will I learn this lesson?!? Anyway, I'm in the "grit and determination" mode to get this done! A few more pounds and I will at least be within a normal weight range. As I've said before, I think I will be very good at maintenance once I get there. :)

I just had the best sauteed veggie dish with whole wheat orzo added for my starch. I cooked kale, carrot, onion, summer squash with fresh basil and oregano. For the sauce I used bean liquid from yesterday's beans and some tomato paste with about 2 tsp. of pepper sauce called Pickappeppa sauce. It is very tasty and only has 50 mg of sodium per tsp.

B: veggie sauté with ww orzo
L: salad and repeat from breakfast
D: salad and sweet potato and Yukon gold potato steak fries baked
Snacks: banana and pineapple, chocolate chip cookies , zucchini bread

Exercise: gardening

1. Start with each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 2/3

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 2/3

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :D

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :)

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. cookies and zucchini bread

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :D
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:10 am

This morning I made a stir-fry with kale, summer squash, a beet, and an onion. A few days ago I made pesto with navy beans and basil, parsley, and garlic. I used this as the sauce for the stir-fry. So very good. I'm trying to make tasty food without salt. Sometimes it is difficult. Salt usually saves my creations when they aren't the best. I really like the navy bean pesto.

My hard work in the garden is paying off. Yesterday I got several cucumbers, beets, bell peppers, and purple creole onions. I have plenty of chard and kale so I can eat greens every day. I'll have okra to eat by the end of the week. :D

B: salad, veggie stir-fry and baked Yukon gold potato

moonlight

Postby Zoey » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:22 am

Moonlight, I'm so proud of you for your excellent gardening skills! It'll be a while before I see anything from mine. But I'm looking forward to that okra. Mine is usually so tender, I don't even cook it.
Glad you're having a good week!
Zoey

Postby moonlight » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:58 am

Wow, I didn't realize how long it's been since I checked in here. I've been busy doing long hikes, putting up fresh vegetables for winter, and doing even more gardening chores.
Zoey, thanks for stopping by. I love being able to grow the food I love to eat the most. Makes the grocery list much shorter! The waiting period after planting is filled with impatience then boom! All the veggies start coming in! Cheers to a good growing season and good weather from the Gardening Gods!

I decided to copy this discussion posted in the MWL Weigh-In thread. I have been doing some serious nibbling (not bingeing), which is still serious to me., as I know how this goes if not brought under control,,, I plan to focus on JeffN's comments this week. Every time I reach for something off plan hopefully these comments will come to mind. I've been getting a lot of exercise lately and I have this attitude that a little bite (or two) won't hurt.
So today these are the comments that jump out at me: the one in red leads to the others for me!!
1) Poor Adherence/compliance. Sometimes from lack of application and sometimes from lack of understanding of the principles.
2) Misdirection of focus/priorities. Focusing on matters that don't really effect your health while not focusing on the ones that do.
3) Minimizing/Rationalizing the effect of certain behaviors and/or personal preferences, **especially in regard to certain foods**.
4) Too many processed/refined and/or calorie dense foods, especially those that are marketing as being "healthy."
7) Not planning ahead. If you do not plan ahead for success, you will most likely not find it.

Mark Cooper wrote:I think when we struggle to successfully practice this way of eating, the cause of our struggles can often be traced to a handful of common reasons. Jeff enumerates these points in his post discussing Reasons for Failure.
JeffN wrote:If you are looking to fine tune your program or wondering why you may be struggling or not seeing the results you would like to as quickly as you would like, you may want to review these points.

I have updated them and added in a few new ones.

1) Poor Adherence/compliance. Sometimes from lack of application and sometimes from lack of understanding of the principles.

2) Misdirection of focus/priorities. Focusing on matters that don't really effect your health while not focusing on the ones that do.

3) Minimizing/Rationalizing the effect of certain behaviors and/or personal preferences, **especially in regard to certain foods**.

4) Too many processed/refined and/or calorie dense foods, especially those that are marketing as being "healthy."

5) Not understanding the difference between something that is "allowed" on occasion in small quantities, and something that is "recommended."

6) Inadequate exercise/activity

7) Not planning ahead. If you do not plan ahead for success, you will most likely not find it.

8 ) Time. Healing and results take time and for some of us, it may take a little longer than we hope.

9) Mcdougall "Plus" - This is where you mix the principles taught here with other principles you have read or learned somewhere else that are in conflict with the principles recommended here. While there are some program that are very much inline with these principles (ie, Esselstyn, etc) most are not.

moonlight

Postby moonlight » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:20 am

I'm still struggling with wanting to adhere to the MWL plan. I decided to drop out of the weigh-in group until I have a desire to get back on the plan. I'm sampling off plan, even some dairy items... To help me get back on plan I want to relax about some stuff so I don't feel guilty all the time. At the same time I don't want to gain weight! So, my plan is to focus on:
1) Misdirection of focus/priorities. Focusing on matters that don't really effect your health while not focusing on the ones that do.
2) Daily exercise. This one is going to be tough. I don't have a problem exercising if I have gardening chores or have a hike planned. Otherwise, I haven't been able to do anything inside like an exercise video or rowing on my water rower. I hope to change this attitude.

Time and adherence is what it takes. I will give myself some time to get back on track. I've gained 3 lbs. Hopefully that will start changing course.

Yesterday I had a successful recipe conversion. I have always loved the cucumber yogurt soup in the Moosewood Cookbook. Since I didn't want to use dairy yogurt I tried making oat yogurt. I used 1 C oats to 4 C water. Soaked the oats for a while then processed them. Mixed with yogurt starter and cooked. It was bland for plain yogurt but added to the soup with a splash of rice vinegar it made a nice creamy soup. It will replace the dairy version. I have so many cucumbers coming in. I can eat this daily for the next couple of months.

Exercise: walking with the dogs
B: millet squares with sautéed chard, carrots, garlic, mushrooms, and scallions with a splash of balsamic vinegar
L: cucumber soup, tomato sandwich on seedless rye bread with veganaise, garbanzo beans
D: cucumber soup, ww pasta, sautéed kale, mushrooms, carrots, and onion with marina sauce
Snacks: air popped popcorn baked with maple syrup, a few nuts...
Somehow I need to turn this eating thing around. Too much fat and sugar...
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:45 am

I've decided to track my food intake in Cronometer for a few weeks. I'm hoping if I see the calorie intake it will help me reduce my food intake or at least help me make better decisions. I have the goal weight in settings to lose 1 lb a week. At that setting I overate 425 calories yesterday. I'll enter food as I eat it starting today. Onward!!
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:52 am

I have taken a break from posting here. I'm ready now to get back to the goal of losing weight. I managed to not gain weight while taking a break. I took a break from the MWL plan (173.8 on the scale this morning). I am relieved to know that I can maintain my weight. I really want to lose more weight so hopefully I can adhere to the MWL plan and begin losing again. I'll start posting what I eat and checking the daily MWL list to help me stay accountable. I have enjoyed eating a few things not on the MWL list. I look forward to getting to my goal weight so I can eat bread again without guilt!!

Small cucumber and tomato salad, Sweet potato, spinach, mushroom, and onion sauteed

Last edited by moonlight on Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:13 pm

Moonlight's back! Hey there!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:19 pm

Hey Buns!

I'm here! I'm excited about getting back down to serious business and getting to a healthy weight. I've been lurking around some... You sure are getting in the swing of doing the MWL plan. We can do this! It will be so nice not to worry about health and weight! I always think of myself as healthy then I remember, Oh! wait! I am overweight! Duh! Time for a big change.

Thanks for the welcome back. Good luck to you!
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:16 am

hahahaha yeah, Healthy as a horse except...obese :lol: :\ we can do it! we got this
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Zoey » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:15 am

Yay, moonlight is back! How is everything in your world?

By the way, I love this so much.
moonlight wrote: I always think of myself as healthy then I remember, Oh! wait! I am overweight! Duh!

Yeah, I'm feeling so good, why would I need to make any changes? Oh yeah, because I'd like to lose some of this darn fat. hehe

Guess we'll just keep at it.
And..... Hi buns!
Zoey

Postby moonlight » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:39 am

Zoey wrote:Yay, moonlight is back! How is everything in your world?

By the way, I love this so much.
moonlight wrote: I always think of myself as healthy then I remember, Oh! wait! I am overweight! Duh!

Yeah, I'm feeling so good, why would I need to make any changes? Oh yeah, because I'd like to lose some of this darn fat. hehe

Guess we'll just keep at it.
And..... Hi buns!

Hi Zoey! Thanks for the welcome back. I am having a slow going of getting back on the MWL plan! I'm busy with garden details - lots of fresh produce coming in. I am canning and freezing for winter. It's really fun but hectic as I have had to start back to work, too. My work is mostly on Zoom now. It's been really hectic getting that going. Thus, my meals are haphazard! I'm eating lots of good things like vegetables but I'm not getting 50/50 plate rule or salad/soup before the meal. I'm eating more salt, bread, and corn chips than I should. I have eaten more sugar than usual because I made pear preserves. :eek: I also made pear sauce without sugar. :D It's tapering down, though. I'm hoping tomorrow or this weekend to do a little planning, food wise. My exercise regimen has eroded into nonexistent!! I haven't hiked in a couple of weeks! Soon my garden will be turning into a fall garden so there will be lots of hoeing again. Yay!

I hope everyone has a great day today!!
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:03 am

I've been taking a break from McDougalling. I'm ready to get back on the MWL plan and lose the rest of the extra weight I'm carrying around. :D I know the first few weeks will be hell but I know I can do it. I've decided to accept a challenge with Cathy Ann on the MWL thread to go in 100% MWL plan for the month of October.

Today's food intake:
B: 50/50 veggies and orzo
L: veggie burger and 100% whole grain burger bun
D: oven fries, coleslaw
Snacks:50/50 veggies and orzo
Exercise: Rowing machine

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 1/3 meals
    2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 2/3 meals
    3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :D
    4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :D
    5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :D
    6. Eliminate any added oil. :D
    7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 2/3 meals
    8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :D
    9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :D
    10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :D
Last edited by moonlight on Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals