Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby moonlight » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:39 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:Tell us more about that potato ratatouille...sounds pretty dang good!

Congrats on your 10 point days :)

Hi Buns,
The potato ratatouille recipe is good and versatile. The recipe I used is in the MWL book. I would print it but I'm not sure that is acceptable since it is not on the website... Basically, it's 2 large potatoes, 3 green bell peppers, 4 zucchinis, 2 large onions, 2 garlic cloves, 4 cups tomatoes (I put in 1 large can and 1 small can of diced), and spices - basil, oregano, parsley, and black pepper. Cook on stove top until done and liquid has reduced by half-ish. It's easy. Flavors go together nicely. If you usually use salt, you'll want to add some. It makes a lot! The recipe says 10 servings. I've also changed it a little at meal time by adding red pepper flakes or a little BBQ sauce when I'm in the mood for a different flavor. It's good hot or cold.
I've finally gotten off salt. For a while it was a struggle and my food seemed to be lacking taste but it doesn't taste bland anymore. I am beginning to appreciate the other flavors. Maybe a slight wish for salt but not much. Now if I eat something salty it tastes way too salty. I've noticed with most of the recipes in the MWL book I like the recipes better the second day so it gives the dish time for the flavors to blend.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:29 am

Yesterday I stayed on my eating plan until the evening. :( I ate salmon for dinner. It just smelled too appealing but then it really didn't taste good to me so I doubt I'll be tempted to do that again. I really need to just stay out of the kitchen while my husband cooks but that time of the day has always been such a social time for us... end of the workday, catching up on each other's day. Sometimes it's a little awkward. I don't want to tell him that the smells from his food either disgusts me or triggers me. Most of the time I can handle it.

Today I plan to make more recipes from the MWL book. I love the Baja soup recipe (this one is in the recipes on this website). I also plan to make Cucumber Cilantro Salad and Vegetable Chili. I still have plenty of potato ratatouille and Minestrone soup. One serving left of the spaghetti squash salad. I have an eggplant dip and raw veggies, too. I'll cook a batch of brown rice to go with the chili.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:43 am

moonlight wrote:Yesterday I stayed on my eating plan until the evening. :( I ate salmon for dinner. It just smelled too appealing but then it really didn't taste good to me so I doubt I'll be tempted to do that again. I really need to just stay out of the kitchen while my husband cooks but that time of the day has always been such a social time for us... end of the workday, catching up on each other's day. Sometimes it's a little awkward. I don't want to tell him that the smells from his food either disgusts me or triggers me. Most of the time I can handle it.

Today I plan to make more recipes from the MWL book. I love the Baja soup recipe (this one is in the recipes on this website). I also plan to make Cucumber Cilantro Salad and Vegetable Chili. I still have plenty of potato ratatouille and Minestrone soup. One serving left of the spaghetti squash salad. I have an eggplant dip and raw veggies, too. I'll cook a batch of brown rice to go with the chili.

I could say almost the exact same thing for today. Yesterday I had some unexpected happenings so I didn't get to batch cook and I ate my husband's dinner again. Steak this time! So fish and steak two nights in a row. Was the Pleasure Trap catching me? For sure!! Today I'll be more focused. I checked my progress for the month. I started the month at 173 and ended it at 172. So progress is being made. :D
My plan today is to exercise, shower, eat, grocery shop, then cook/prepare food for the week.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:05 am

Yesterday I got back on track. No cheats. But no exercise. Hopefully today I can get 100% back on plan. I wish I could stop taking a break after weigh-in day, thinking I can have an off day from dieting... This weekend I'll try harder to stay on plan.

From the MWL book I made Mexican potato salad, cucumber cilantro salad, and vegetable chili. I like the Mexican potato salad. The cucumber salad needed some different dressing. I used bottled lime juice and it's the main ingredient in the dressing. Fresh squeezed would be better. The chili recipe was too bland for me. I added tomato paste and more chili powder and some cumin. I have better chili recipes. I added enough non-starch vegetables to make it 50/50 beans to vegetables. The recipe calls for 4 different kinds of bean, 1 cup each. I decided to make them from dried. I had 6 pints of extra beans. I put them in the freezer. I won't need to cook or buy canned beans for a while. I also froze 2 quarts of the chili. My freezer is filling up with cooked food. I will be able to take a week off from cooking soon.

Today's plan:
Exercise 30 minutes on the water rower
Food:
B: nothing
L: cucumber salad and potato ratatouille
S: eggplant dip and raw veggies
D: cucumber salad and vegetable chili and brown rice
S: oatmeal and blueberries

Sunday a 9pt day!
L: Mexican potato salad
D: chili, brown rice, and cucumber cilantro salad
S: oatmeal

Saturday
Exercise: 30 minutes on rower
B: spaghetti squash salad and potato ratatouille
L: WW pasta and salsa
S: chocolate candy
D: Minestrone soup and potato ratatouille
middle of the night eating off plan...
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:27 am

Yesterday's food plan fell apart during the day. I was out with a friend then for dinner I ate Chinese. Argh! I also woke up during the night and had a bite of cheddar cheese... I need to get back on track. At least I got in my exercise yesterday. 30 minutes on the water rower. I realize the sneaky Pleasure trap cravings are at play. My mind can be so convincing that I should eat instead of wait until I get home... Today should be better. I'm working from home. I can stay focused on eating good food.

Food:
B: spelt and orange
S: blueberries
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:16 pm

I had a 10 pt. day today (Tuesday). :) I thought about eating some fancy olives my husband brought home, but I didn’t. :D
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:01 am

After such a good week last week I fall apart this week. Yesterday I ate cheese at lunch. I didn't get in any exercise, either. I was out without anything to eat but I could have waited until I got home or made a better decision. Last night I had a hard time with cravings but I didn't give in. Having gone off my diet plan for several days, I've really got to pay the price now. I wonder how many times this has to happen before I stay on plan and get in the "deep groove" people talk about... Yesterday I watched the Willpower Paradox lecture by Dr. Lisle. I guess I now understand why I lose my willpower... I need to be better prepared. I know that. I was running late to get out the door yesterday. Today is a new day. I have good food ready to go. I can begin working on that groove.

Plan
Food:
B: probably nothing
S: garbanzo dip and raw veggies
S: oatmeal and blueberries
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:14 pm

moonlight wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote:Tell us more about that potato ratatouille...sounds pretty dang good!

Congrats on your 10 point days :)

Hi Buns,
The potato ratatouille recipe is good and versatile. The recipe I used is in the MWL book. I would print it but I'm not sure that is acceptable since it is not on the website... Basically, it's 2 large potatoes, 3 green bell peppers, 4 zucchinis, 2 large onions, 2 garlic cloves, 4 cups tomatoes (I put in 1 large can and 1 small can of diced), and spices - basil, oregano, parsley, and black pepper. Cook on stove top until done and liquid has reduced by half-ish. It's easy. Flavors go together nicely. If you usually use salt, you'll want to add some. It makes a lot! The recipe says 10 servings. I've also changed it a little at meal time by adding red pepper flakes or a little BBQ sauce when I'm in the mood for a different flavor. It's good hot or cold.
I've finally gotten off salt. For a while it was a struggle and my food seemed to be lacking taste but it doesn't taste bland anymore. I am beginning to appreciate the other flavors. Maybe a slight wish for salt but not much. Now if I eat something salty it tastes way too salty. I've noticed with most of the recipes in the MWL book I like the recipes better the second day so it gives the dish time for the flavors to blend.

Mmm thanks. I love ratatouille, but never had it with potatoes. I put mine over noodles yum! I also love to bake it in my large roasting pan instead of the stove top. I'll have to get on this one for sure. I wish to heck I could find my cookbooks. We moved over a year ago and I just realized a few weeks ago that my cookbooks had never been unpacked. Wylie is also missing some favorite recipes that were on paper. I know they're all in a box somewhere. I've got the MWL book, and Starch Solution. I'd love to cook through the SS for sure.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:13 pm

Hi Buns,
I'm still enjoying the ratatouille. I just had the last serving. It made a lot. I really liked it! I think I would like it with a different starch, too. I bet that recipe would be good over noodles.
BTW, I read your comments about getting wigged out from a gain on the scales. I can do the same thing. So crazy. We get upset that we've gained weight and what do we do?!? Stress eat!! Crazy and cruel what our minds do to us sometimes. :)

Today's Food:
B: oatmeal
L: Potato ratatouille and cucumber salad

I still need to get in my 30 minutes of exercise. I've been watching one episode of Grace and Frankie every time I row. It's a fun little show. :)

Tonight I plan to have a salad of some kind for dinner and chili with bulgur.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:36 pm

Today has been another 10 pt day! :D
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:08 pm

Today I made a good dish. I started with the Tex-Mex Potatoes recipe in the MWL book. I changed it quite a bit so I'm going to post it. I made it into a layered casserole. I added cabbage and mushrooms to the original recipe to have a 50/50 veggies to starch.

Servings 5
Ingredients:
Yukon Gold potatoes and cooked pinto beans - approx. equal amounts. I steamed 3 small-med potatoes and used 1 cup of cooked beans

Veggie Layer
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 can diced tomatoes
1 sm can green chilis
1 cup shredded cabbage
3 med-large mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin

Topping
3/4 C salsa
1/4 C chopped cilantro
1 bunch scallions, chopped

Bottom Layer:
Steam chopped Yukon Gold Potatoes. Transfer to casserole dish and mash.
Next Layer:
Cooked pinto beans. Mash then transfer to casserole.
Next Layer:
Sauté onion, garlic, cabbage, mushrooms, tomatoes, chilis, and spices
Topping:
Mix salsa, cilantro, scallions. Add to each serving of casserole after it is heated.

Food Plan for today:
L: Tex-Mex Casserole and Salad :thumbsup:
D: salad and Tex-Mex Casserole :thumbsup:
S: fruit and oatmeal if I'm hungry
Exercise: 30 minutes on water rower :thumbsup:

I feel like this will be a 10 pt. day! :)
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:58 am

It feels like it's going to be a 10 pt. day!

Today's Plan:
Exercise: 30 minutes on water rower :D

Food Plan
L: salad and Tex-Mex casserole again :)
D:salad and Tex-Mex casserole again :)
S: Broccoli and bulgur
S: chili

I have enough salad for today. I'll need to be in the kitchen tomorrow doing some food prep. I have Mexican Potato salad and enough chili for 2-3 more meals. I have some mushrooms that I plan to try and make BBQ pulled "pork" style mushrooms. I saw a video...

It's snowing in East Tennessee. :) So pretty. It will be melted by tomorrow afternoon, I'm sure...
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:24 am

Last night I had a hard time with cravings, I guess. Not really craving high fat or sugary foods, just craving to eat even though I was full. I caved to the craving but kept food within the MWL guidelines but I ate even though I was full.... I decided to start today with breakfast, hoping to get past that need to eat tonight. I'm not sure it's related but it won't hurt to try it. My gut said that's what I need to try. :)

Today's Food Plan:
B: fruit and oatmeal :thumbsup:
L: finish off salad and Tex-Mex casserole, and have some Mexican Potato salad if still hungry
D: vegetable soup, chili with bulgur
S: fruit
Exercise: 30 minutes on rower or afternoon hike

Actual Events:
B: fruit and oatmeal :thumbsup:
L: McAlister's veggie spud :thumbsup:
D: WW pasta, a ton of spinach and roasted peppers, and FF marina sauce - while this was very good, I ate more than I should

Exercise: 15 minutes on water rower and short walk with pup :)
Last edited by moonlight on Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:29 am

Yesterday I had a little aha moment. I was out without food. It was about 3:30 and I had not had lunch. My first thought was shucks. My second thought was "I have an excuse to go off the MWL plan". I thought this with some glee. :( Then I realized that this WOE is my lifestyle. No matter where I am, I need to work hard at honoring my intentions. It may sound obvious. I've given lip-service to "it's a lifestyle, not a diet", but there was a subtle realization and shift in my thinking. I quickly called in an order for a veggie spud (no cheese sauce) at a local McAlister's Deli - before my mind could play tricks on me and convince me to eat something unhealthy. I love the veggie spud at McAlister's! Why would I want anything else! It tastes good. Two perfectly cooked baked potatoes with a ton of freshly steamed veggies. I drove a little out of my way to have this for lunch but it was perfect. :)

Today's Plan

Exercise: Hopefully 30 minutes rowing. I hurt my back yesterday picking up my 35 lb puppy several times. We went shopping at the pet store so I could fit her with a harness. We went to 3 different places so I hauled her up and down several times. I think it is time she learned to jump up or I'll need to buy some kind of ramp or steps.

Food:
B: oatmeal and banana
L: big salad and Mexican Potato salad
S: vegetable soup
D: salad, soup, and the last of Tex-Mex casserole
S: blueberries No blueberries. Peanuts instead :(

Pondering the MWL checklist, I realized that I should focus on the recommendation to eat until slightly full. I stuff myself sometimes because I'm craving something I shouldn't eat. Hopefully with strict adherence to what I want to eat, the cravings will subside and I can stop stuffing myself. I'll work harder at finding other activities to soothe my cravings.
Last edited by moonlight on Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby Ejeff » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:28 am

Way to go sticking to the plan while out and about!
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals