Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby moonlight » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:38 am

Yesterday's Food Adventures
B: Oatmeal withan apple
L: Corn Salad from MWL book - I really liked this recipe. I added a fresh jalapeno
D: Mexican restaurant - Mariachi Bowl, chips, and a Margarita. :( I wish I had drank water and not eaten chips or avocado... maybe next time. One positive behavior: I was conscious to stop eating when I was full. :)
No exercise yesterday. I am hoping to get in an 8 mile hike today. :)

Today's food plan:
B: oatmeal with an apple
L: Corn salad or tabbouleh salad (easy to take hiking)
D: Spinach salad, garbanzo stew, and baked potato
S: Blueberries and oatmeal if I'm hungry
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:12 pm

Yesterday's food Adventure:
B: oatmeal with an apple
L: Corn salad or
S: tabbouleh salad
D: Spinach salad, garbanzo stew, and baked potato

I didn't hike yesterday. We went to see the sandhill cranes that migrate through East Tennessee. Incredible sight! They are such beautiful birds. :)

I'm meeting some friends for dinner tonight at a Thai restaurant. I should be able to find good MWL compliant food. I'm panning to eat sushi.

It's time to grocery shop and batch cook. Hopefully that will happen this afternoon or tomorrow!

Today's Food Plan:
B: oatmeal and blueberries
L: Spinach salad, Garbanzo stew, and WW pasta and Brussel sprouts
D: sushi
Evening S: baked potato, if hungry

I plan to row for 30 minutes today.
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:11 pm

mmm, Is that Barley Mushroom soup from the Starch Solution? It's one of my faves from that book. Now I want to make some! Well done on all that shredded salad, too!

We used to live in Southeast Idaho, near the head waters of the Portneuf River. It was a stopping spot for all kinds of very cool birds, and was a nesting area for Sandhills...every summer we'd see the happy families in the fields :) and our last name was Crane, to boot! :lol:

Aren't they cool birds? That eight mile hike...I'm jellin, honey. It's been many months since my hiking days ... maybe in the summertime! woo hoo!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:40 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:mmm, Is that Barley Mushroom soup from the Starch Solution? It's one of my faves from that book. Now I want to make some! Well done on all that shredded salad, too!

We used to live in Southeast Idaho, near the head waters of the Portneuf River. It was a stopping spot for all kinds of very cool birds, and was a nesting area for Sandhills...every summer we'd see the happy families in the fields :) and our last name was Crane, to boot! :lol:

Aren't they cool birds? That eight mile hike...I'm jellin, honey. It's been many months since my hiking days ... maybe in the summertime! woo hoo!

Hi Heidi!
The barley mushroom soup recipe I used is from the MWL book. It might be the same recipe as the one you use. I love it. I've made it several times.
Those big birds are a treat to see. It was a 2 hour drive for us but it was worth it.

Yesterday's Food Adventure
B: nothing
L: about 3:00 Spinach Salad, Garbanzo Stew
D: Out with fiends at a Thai restaurant - Eggplant and veggies with a light spicy sauce and brown rice
Evening: Hummus and carrots, hummus and bulgur, popcorn and honey, hummus and bread
This was really not a day of good choices. I messed up early in the day by working at my desk from 8:00 to 3:00 without eating or drinking anything and without walking around that much. A very bad habit I've done before when I'm focused on a project and afraid if I get up I will lose my thoughts and get off track. Then when I ate out I really wanted more food. I came home and just started making bad food choices. :(

Today's Food Plan
B: nothing because I wasn't hungry
L: Texan Vegetable Casserole and Corn Salad
D: Garbanzo Stew, Corn Salad, and a potato
S: blueberries and quick cook oats if hungry
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:35 pm

Yesterday I was back on track with my food plan. So disappointing to have such a food binge on Monday,,,

I stocked up on prepared food yesterday! I made several recipes from the MWL book:
Vegetable Soup, Chunky Vegetable Salad, Tangy Garbanzo Dip, Wild Spinach Rice, and Mexican Potato Salad.
I like all of the dishes. The Tangy Garbanzo Dip is probably one I won't make again. I discovered that I like having dips and raw vegetables around but so far the two dips from the MWL book I haven't really liked enough to repeat the recipe. Making them helped me see that I liked having dips for the quick "I'm starving" moments. A few raw veggies and dip are very filling.
I love the Chunky Vegetable Salad! Salads without lettuce are becoming a favorite. They seem to stay fresh longer. I leave out tomatoes and chop those when I want to add them at the time I eat. Keeping soup and salads ready to go has helped me keep a more balanced diet.

Yesterday's Food
B: nothing because I wasn't hungry
L: Texan Vegetable Casserole and Corn Salad
D: Garbanzo Stew, vegetable salad, Wild Spinach Rice from MWL book
S: blueberries and quick cook oats

Today's Plan
B: oatmeal and banana
L: Mexican Potato Salad
S: Chunky Vegetable Salad
D: Corn Salad and Garbanzo Stew
moonlight

Postby Shmookitty » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:06 pm

Wow, your food looks so super yummy!! :-D
My name is Renee, McDougalling starting October 5, 2019
Shmookitty

Postby moonlight » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:39 am

I stayed on plan yesterday. It’s easy when I have such good food waiting for me. I’m good with this WOE if I stay prepared and stay out of restaurants.

Today’s Food Plan
B: bulgur and apple
L: chunky vegetable salad and Mexican salad
S: garbanzo dip and veggies
D: vegetable soup, broccoli and sweet potatoes
S: blueberries and oatmeal

Now, for exercise.... I’m setting the intention to exercise at 5:00 today.
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:36 pm

moonlight wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote:mmm, Is that Barley Mushroom soup from the Starch Solution? It's one of my faves from that book. Now I want to make some! Well done on all that shredded salad, too!

Hi Heidi!
The barley mushroom soup recipe I used is from the MWL book. It might be the same recipe as the one you use. I love it. I've made it several times.
Those big birds are a treat to see. It was a 2 hour drive for us but it was worth it.

I made the soup yesterday, following the McDougall recipe as found on a website called copymethat.com, which also links back to this site for the directions. Probably the same recipe in both MWL and Starch Solution. When I was done, I thought it looked so colorless, even though it tasted terrific. So I threw a cup of frozen spinach in the pot and that added color. SO delicious! But I also tweaked the seasonings just a bit, since the 1/8 tsp of wasabi powder didn't cut it...instead, a full tsp of regular horseradish made it subtly tangy :nod: And miso instead of soy sauce.

Mmm, now I want to go home and have me a bowl of it!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:34 am

moonlight wrote:I'm feeling confident about sticking with my eating plan. I'm not having many attacks of cravings, so far. :)

Yesterday's Report
Texan Potato Casserole from MWL book

OK now I have to find the Texan Potato Casserole recipe! Thanks for the tip. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby moonlight » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:36 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:I made the soup yesterday, following the McDougall recipe as found on a website called copymethat.com, which also links back to this site for the directions. Probably the same recipe in both MWL and Starch Solution. When I was done, I thought it looked so colorless, even though it tasted terrific. So I threw a cup of frozen spinach in the pot and that added color. SO delicious! But I also tweaked the seasonings just a bit, since the 1/8 tsp of wasabi powder didn't cut it...instead, a full tsp of regular horseradish made it subtly tangy :nod: And miso instead of soy sauce.

Mmm, now I want to go home and have me a bowl of it!

Hi Buns, I checked and it is the same recipe in the MWL book. I added more wasabi, too. The color is drab but the taste is good. I might try the addition of greens. It's always good to get in more greens! :)

Well, I ended the week having gained 2 lbs. (172 now...) Will I ever get back to the 160's? Argh!

I ate out too much. More than normal for me. Mostly friends in from out-of-town. I didn't make good decisions.... I have made some good decisions around organizing food for home. I'm eating more vegetables, soups, and salads. My exercise has dropped off...

Onward!!

Today's Plan
Don't let myself get hungry so I make better choices.

Exercise: rowing (hoping for 30 minutes but will be happy to just start rowing :) )

Food
B: oatmeal and apple
L: chucky vegetable salad and Mexican Potato Salad
S: Garbanzo Dip and carrots and green peppers
D: Wild Spinach Rice, chunky vegetable salad and vegetable soup
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:37 am

Yesterday's Food
B: oatmeal and apple
L: chucky vegetable salad and Mexican Potato Salad
S: Garbanzo Dip and carrots and green peppers
D: Baked steak fries and vegetable soup
a few pistachio nuts :shock:

I felt good about staying on my food plan for most of the day. A momentary lapse of judgement while my husband was eating nuts... And, still no exercise....

Today I plan to batch cook. I plan to make a few recipes from the MWL book: Tomato vegetable salad, Sweet Potato Chowder with butternut squash in place of sweet potato, and Curry Stuffed Peppers - not stuffed but made into a casserole. I'll also prepare more raw veggies for dipping. I'm still appreciating the 21-day menu plan in the MWL book. Typically, I tend to eat the same thing, not try different combinations, and think everything sounds the same. The menu forces me to make different salads, soups, and entrées. All of these recipes benefit from sitting for a day to blend flavors. I've learned to not be so quick to dismiss a recipe as bland. I guess salt typically gives food enough flavor to eat soon after making a dish. Since these recipes rely on spices for flavor it may take the extra time to meld the flavors.

Food Plan Today:
B: sweet potato and white potato baked
L: Chunky Vegetable salad and Mexican Potato salad
S: veggies and garbanzo dip
D: Wild Spinach Rice and vegetable soup
Last edited by moonlight on Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:56 am

moonlight wrote:D: Wild Spinach Rice, chunky vegetable salad and vegetable soup

I am curious about the Wild Spinach Rice; it sounds good. Where can I find the recipe? Thanks, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby moonlight » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:03 am

deweyswakms wrote:
moonlight wrote:D: Wild Spinach Rice, chunky vegetable salad and vegetable soup

I am curious about the Wild Spinach Rice; it sounds good. Where can I find the recipe? Thanks, Marsha

Hi Marsha,
That recipe is in the MWL book. :)
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:47 am

Yesterday's Adventure:
B: sweet potato and white potato baked
L: Chunky Vegetable salad and Mexican Potato salad
S: rice and bean bowl at Salsarita's
D: Wild Spinach Rice and vegetable soup
chocolate almond milk
Yesterday while I was out shopping I got pretty hungry. I couldn't shake it and started imagining all the things I could get to eat. I decided to stop at Salsarita's. I was afraid I was going to eat chips but I didn't! I think my meal was MWL compliant except there may have been added salt. They do not add fat to their beans or brown rice.

I made some good food to have ready to eat for the week. I made a tomato-corn salad that looks very good and a very good butternut squash vegetable soup. I have two casseroles for the week, Wild Spinach Rice and Curried Peppers and Potatoes. I need to focus on the little cheats like a small glass of chocolate milk or a few nuts. I want to develop the attitude that if it's not MWL approved food, I'm not going to eat it. I have some raw veggies ready to grab and eat. I'll try to eat celery if I go for the nuts or chocolate milk.

Today's food plan:
B: Potatoes and banana
L: tomato corn salad and curried peppers and potatoes
S: butternut squash soup
D: tomato corn salad, Wild Spinach Rice
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:10 am

I rowed for 30 minutes yesterday morning. Finally , starting to get a little exercise!

Yesterday's food:
B: Potatoes and banana
L: tomato corn salad and curried peppers and potatoes
S: butternut squash soup
S: celery and garbanzo dip
D: Wild Spinach Rice
S: popcorn
cornbread

I was very munchy yesterday. I decided to eat popcorn in the evening because I was just thinking of what to eat soon after eating dinner. I know the calorie density of popcorn is high but I had only one bowl and I wasn't eating it because I was hungry. In hindsight the better thing to eat would have been carrots. I'm not sure why I kept wanting to eat... Then at 3:00 in the morning I couldn't get back to sleep and had a piece of my husband's cornbread. Argh.

Today's food plan:
B: potatoes green pepper, onions stir fried
L: butternut squash soup and curried peppers and potatoes
D: tomato corn salad and wild spinach rice
moonlight

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals