Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby moonlight » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:48 am

Something I've learned from making salads from the MWL book is how much dried herbs can enhance the flavor of salad. I've never tried putting a little dried oregano or basil or tarragon in a salad. Since I don't have fresh herbs in the winter, I've used dried herbs. This is in addition to the oil-free dressing. Since the salads I've made don't have lettuce, they last several days in the refrigerator just marinating in the dressing and dried herbs. Very flavorful!

Eating oatmeal in the evening has become a habit lately. It usually keeps me satisfied through the night. However, I think I've added extra calories to my day! Yesterday I tried leaving off breakfast in the morning, since I'm really not hungry then anyway. Well, I'm not sure why but I got into a binge mode last night after dinner. I kept wanting more to eat. I didn't eat the oatmeal - I should have. It probably would have satisfied me. I ate a few things off plan...

I have to be careful about emotional eating - and not from being sad or anxious. After I've had a really good time I want to eat. I'm not sure what's that about but it happened last night, too. I had been at a lecture that I really liked. When I came home I was excited and hungry. I just could not make myself stop eating! Anyway, today's a new day.

Yesterday
Exercised 30 minutes on water rower (2nd day in a row!)
Food:
B: nothing
L: tomato corn salad, butternut squash soup, and curried peppers and potatoes
D1: wild spinach rice
D2: tomato corn salad and curried peppers and potatoes
S: flour tortilla and refried beans; 2 dates; cornbread

Today's Eating Plan
B: oatmeal and apple
L: butternut squash soup and bulgur
S: bean dip and veggies
D: tomato corn salad and Potato Ratatouille (another recipe from MWL book)
moonlight

Postby Sandy Sue » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:48 am

How do you make the curried peppers and potatoes?
Sandy Sue

Postby moonlight » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:17 am

Hi Sandy Sue,

I use the Curry Stuffed Peppers recipe in Dr. McD's MWL book. I just changed it to a casserole. Do you have that book?
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:25 am

Yesterday was a good day of staying within the guidelines of the MWL plan except I didn't exercise. Wednesday is a long day for me so I don't expect to get in any exercise that day. I usually feel sleep deprived all day from the shock of getting up so early!

Food Activity Yesterday:
L: butternut squash soup and bulgur
S: baked steak fries with Heinz 57 and tomato corn salad
D: curried peppers and potato casserole, butternut squash soup, and tomato corn salad
S: oatmeal and blueberries

Today's Plan:
Exercise: rowing 30 minutes
Food:
L: curried potato casserole and salad
I'm not sure what I'll have for dinner yet....
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:34 am

I had another good food day yesterday. :) Hopefully I'll pick up on the exercise soon....

Thursday's Actual Food Activity
B: nothing - I didn't want my oatmeal
L: WW pasta 4 oz dry (2 servings) and low calorie spaghetti sauce and Brussels sprouts
D: Japanese Sweet Potato and butternut squash soup and tomato corn salad
S: bulgur

Friday:
L: butternut squash soup and curried peppers and potatoes
S: veggies and bean dip
D: tomato corn salad and Japanese sweet potato
S: bulgur or oatmeal
moonlight

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:43 am

moonlight wrote:Something I've learned from making salads from the MWL book is how much dried herbs can enhance the flavor of salad. )

Excellent tip; will try this although I don't make many salads; too lazy; I buy all the ingredients and end up tossing them. So I let myself buy a small salad with great veggie additions from the 'whole foods' type store near me.

I turned on Private Messages if you still have a recipe to share. Thanks! Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby moonlight » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:52 am

I'm up 2 lbs from last week's weigh in. I thought I had a good week but looking back over my diary, I only had a couple of days that were completely MWL compliant. I didn't eat in restaurants this week but I snacked most days on things like nuts, cornbread, dates, flour tortillas. Also, I think I've increased my consumption of starches. I've really enjoyed cooked oatmeal in the evening before bed. I eat 50/50 oatmeal and blueberries. I think I need to drop the amount of both. I've been cooking 1/2 cup of oats and adding 1/2 c to 3/4 c of blueberries. I also need to get serious about exercise. I think I only exercised 2 days this week.

Today's food plan
B: orange and spelt
L: Tomato Vegetable Salad and curried peppers and potatoes
D: Butternut squash soup and Potato Ratatouille
S: blueberries and oatmeal

Exercise 30 minutes on the water rower
moonlight

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:43 am

moonlight wrote:I'm up 2 lbs from last week's weigh in. I thought I had a good week but looking back over my diary, I only had a couple of days that were completely MWL compliant. I didn't eat in restaurants this week but I snacked most days on things like nuts, cornbread, dates, flour tortillas. Also, I think I've increased my consumption of starches. I've really enjoyed cooked oatmeal in the evening before bed. I eat 50/50 oatmeal and blueberries. I think I need to drop the amount of both. I've been cooking 1/2 cup of oats and adding 1/2 c to 3/4 c of blueberries. I also need to get serious about exercise. I think I only exercised 2 days this week.

Today's food plan
B: orange and spelt
L: Tomato Vegetable Salad and curried peppers and potatoes
D: Butternut squash soup and Potato Ratatouille

Exercise 30 minutes on the water rower

Hi Moonlight!
Best to you on increasing the exercise! I saw that you are making recipes from MWL book. Do you have any favorites? I just pulled my dog-eared copy of the book off the shelf and was remembering the "Souper Salad" - which I haven't made for years, but really like! Have a great week.
Cheers,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:00 pm

moonlight wrote:
deweyswakms wrote:
moonlight wrote:D: Wild Spinach Rice

Hi, I got the PM. And hopefully you got my reply. That is a strange message system. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby moonlight » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:08 am

Yesterday was a 10 pt. day for me! No little cheats. I even got in 30 minutes of exercise. Ahhh, such a good feeling. The weight gain for two weeks in a row really got my attention! I'm back at 174 lbs. I'm losing at such a slow rate!! It's not my metabolism but my willingness to stay on plan.
I batch cooked yesterday. I made the Potato Ratatouille and Spaghetti Squash and Broccoli Salad from the MWL book. I've made this salad before. It's very good. It's the first time I've made the Ratatouille recipe. I like it, too. It made a lot so I'll be eating it most of the week. Today I plan to make the Fast Minestrone. I'd like one more entrée for the week. I'm thinking about a recipe I saw in the FOK website, Quinoa and Roasted Cauliflower.

Yesterday's Achievements I got all 10 pts.!
Exercise: 30 minutes on water rower
B: spelt and apple
L: tomato vegetable salad and potato ratatouille
D: tomato vegetable salad and baby roasted potatoes
S: banana and oatmeal

Today's Plan:
B: spelt and orange
L: spaghetti squash salad and potato ratatouille
D: butternut squash soup and quinoa cauliflower casserole
Last edited by moonlight on Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:03 am

Yesterday I made Fast Minestrone soup (from MWL book) and Roasted Cauliflower and Quinoa casserole from the FOK newsletter. Both recipes are very good. :) If I make the quinoa casserole again I will increase the vegetables to make a 50/50 ratio with the starch.

Sunday's Accomplishments w/ regard to 10 pt checklist: I got all 10!
L: finished off tomato vegetable salad and curried pepper and potato casserole, cooked cabbage and mushrooms
D: Spaghetti squash and broccoli salad and Japanese Sweet potato w/ jalapenos

Today's Plan
Exercise : 30 minutes on water rower

Food:
B: nothing (I think my breakfast has shifted to night time. When I eat oatmeal at night I'm not hungry in the morning)
L: Spaghetti squash salad and potato ratatouille
D: Fast Minestrone soup and quinoa casserole and collards

I'm tethered to the house for the next 10 days so no hiking. :( I got a puppy in November and she had her spay surgery Friday. She has to be kept calm - no jumping or running or long walks...
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:50 am

Yesterday Another 10 pt. day!
Exercise : 30 minutes on water rower :thumbsup:

Food:
B: nothing (I think my breakfast has shifted to night time. When I eat oatmeal at night I'm not hungry in the morning)
L: Spaghetti squash salad and quinoa casserole
S: bean dip and carrots
D: Spaghetti squash salad and baked baby potatoes

Today's Plan

Food:
L: Spaghetti squash salad and Potato Ratatouille
S: Fast Minestrone soup
D: Spaghetti squash salad and quinoa casserole and collards (Note to self - cook collards! They are fresh from my garden. :) )

Tomorrow is my long day on the road for work. I've found that soup with bulgur added to make a stew works real well. I'll make bulgur today. I love my new food thermos. The large mouth allows me to eat directly from the thermos. It holds about 3 cups of stew which is plenty. It doesn't keep food super hot... My stew is more or less warm after about 4 hours. (And, I preheat the thermos with hot water...) I wish Yeti made a super wide-mouth thermos. Also, I plan to make Baba Ganoush today to take tomorrow for a snack with celery and carrots.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:48 am

Tuesday's Result Another 10 pt. day!
Exercise : 30 minutes on water rower :thumbsup:
Food:
L: Spaghetti squash salad and Potato Ratatouille
D: Fast Minestrone soup and quinoa casserole (These two dishes are so good mixed together into a stew.)
S: oatmeal and fruit

Today's Plan
Food Plan:
B: spelt and orange
L: Spaghetti squash salad and potato ratatouille
D: Fast Minestrone soup and quinoa casserole
S: oatmeal and fruit
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:52 am

From Kathy Roberts in Success Stories (There's a link to her story in the Weigh-In thread by mark cooper.):
She writes:
One of my favorite quotes by Ern Baxter is; “If your lifestyle doesn’t control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle ”.

“If your lifestyle doesn’t control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle”. This is so true!! Cheers to taking control of lifestyle.

Yesterday was another 10 pt. day!
Exercise: 30 minutes on the water rower
Food:
B: spelt and an orange
L: spaghetti squash salad and Fast Minestrone soup
S: roasted turnip
D: Japanese sweet potato, Minestrone soup
D2: potato ratatouille
S: oatmeal and banana

Today is a long work day. I really would rather stay at home!!! I hope I'm motivated to exercise this evening!
Food:
L: Minestrone soup and quinoa casserole mixed together
S: Eggplant dip and celery and carrots
D: Spaghetti squash and potato ratatouille

I'll need to make another salad and entrée tomorrow. I have plenty of soup and potato ratatouille.
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:37 am

Tell us more about that potato ratatouille...sounds pretty dang good!

Congrats on your 10 point days :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals