Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby moonlight » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks, Buns. I'm stoked to do it once more. How many days out of the month can I be a perfect 100%?
moonlight

Postby sirdle » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:30 pm

I like the whole 'smiley calendar' thing. It's fun.

moonlight wrote:July :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :\ :D :D :D :? :| :D :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?: :D :D :D :| :D :?: :( :?: :( :mrgreen: :-D :( :(

I can see how it might get stressful, though... especially when you're not being 100% compliant. I wish there were better colors, though, because I would use a lighter green color instead of yellow for days of 'almost' compliant.

But, we use the tool we have, right?

I think you're going to have a very good month!

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Ruff » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:02 pm

Hi moonlight,

I am also doing a recommitted August. I have had way too much coconut cream, avocado, nuts, etc etc, and I also have struggled with bread since going gluten free. It’s hard here to find vegan gf bread, I have found one tasty whole (non gluten) grain vegan loaf. Cost NZ$14.95 :eek: :eek: That’s about US$ 10....for one little loaf. So I started eating one that had egg in it. In fact I rather threw my toys out the cot, and stamped about going “why should I get coeliac and Hashimotos when I have such a great diet”!!! Well, rather obviously I got coeliac because I inherited the gene, and got Hashimotos because undiagnosed coeliac can cause Hashimotos. And as for the coeliac.....I ate vast amounts of my own whole grain sourdough bread, in fact you could say I was on a bread based diet!

So let’s recommit together. We got this!
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby moonlight » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:18 am

Hi Katie,
Let's do this thing!! Are you trying to do MWL or just regular McD diet? I have a thing for bread, too. I'm trying to follow the MWL plan so I need to just eliminate it from my diet. I can do that for a while then I start eating a little bread. It's so soothing sometimes. Easy to digest. I'm going to focus on potatoes for a while.

Yesterday was good for me. Hopefully, I'll get back into the MWL plan. My husband comes home today after being gone for 5 weeks. I blamed living with someone who didn't follow this diet as the reason I sometimes go off plan, because of what he brings into the house. Well, this past five weeks made me realize my off plan eating has nothing to do with him. Sort of depressing.... No one to blame but myself. Ha!

Sirdle, I think my August calendar will have more green than the July one!! The pressure of having to look at the consequences is hard if I get off track but inspiring when I keep it together. I have cravings for bread. I've indulged with pita bread. I need to go through the detox withdrawal period then I'll be okay, I think!
BTW, I've been using Dr. McD's 10 pt checklist that's in the MWL book. I forgot that JeffN had a different checklist until you mentioned the 11, not really 10 pt. thing. I may switch to that checklist.

August Countdown
:-D :mrgreen: :-( 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

JeffN’s 10ish Pt. Checklist for Maximum Weight Loss
1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.

2) Choose fruit for dessert.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

6) Eliminate any added oil.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

Food Today:
Millet and veggie stir fry
Cole slaw, potatoes and cooked kale with jalapeños
Watermelon
Dinner out - spinach enchiladas, chips, beer, dessert....
Last edited by moonlight on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
moonlight

Postby Ruff » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi moonlight, I’m not doing MWL because I am also going back into training again. When running if I am out for more than 2 hours I have to eat, and what I eat has to be lightand portable and not go off etc etc. So I mostly eat dates and dried mango, and put a splash of orange juice in my water. But only if out for more than 2 hours. If I am out for more than 4 hours I add nuts and seeds too.....not that I have done any of this recently :lol: I have not been training until yesterday when I was out for an hour.

I also cheerfully blame my husband for my eating mistakes....but I make just as many when he is not here! I and only I am responsible for what goes into my mouth. :unibrow:

I am planning on researching gf bread recipes today.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby moonlight » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:58 am

So last night I decided to go out for dinner and not be on the MWL plan. I was celebrating with hubby that he was back from his business trip. Today I'm back to being committed to MWL.

Food Today:
Millet and veggies
bulgur and fresh raw veggies
sweet potato and spinach w/ jalapeno

Exercise: 30 minutes on water rower

August MWL Countdown
:-D :mrgreen: :-( 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

JeffN’s 10ish Pt. Checklist for Maximum Weight Loss
1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.

2) Choose fruit for dessert.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

6) Eliminate any added oil.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9) Follow these principles, eat when hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily.
:thumbsup:
Last edited by moonlight on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:03 pm

moonlight wrote:So last night I decided to go out for dinner and not be on the MWL plan. I was celebrating with hubby that he was back from his business trip.

I wrote the above quote on August 4. I've started back on the MWL plan 5 times since that day! HA! It actually has seemed longer than 5 days... Hopefully, tomorrow will be the day I recommit and stay committed. :D

August MWL Countdown
:-D :mrgreen: :-( :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :o 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Last edited by moonlight on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby AnnetteW » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:38 am

6x is a charm.

When I'm a bit off track, I do my best to get back on track, of course, but sometimes I just have to lighten up a bit in one area or the other. I never want to feel like my diet is a punishment.

Best wishes.
AnnetteW

Postby moonlight » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:29 am

Hi Annette,
Thank you for those thoughts. I agree. I try not to give myself too much grief about taking a break. I'm thankful that I can readjust and get back on track with my goals to lose weight and generally have a better diet and healthy lifestyle. This last week is probably the longest break I've taken since I started on the MWL plan in October 2017. I'm very thankful that I recommit and get back to the plan. Having the community on this website helps tremendously. Sometimes I wonder if my journal entries may seem detrimental to someone starting out. I might give the impression that this is too hard. My journal entries often demonstrate the frustration and struggle I have, but I hope the overall gist is that I keep at it, even when it is difficult. Ultimately, I am better off and I do move forward, albeit, at a much slower pace than others. :)

I am having oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast. I plan to get some exercise, make some soup, and stay out of restaurants today! :D

I had a great MWL lunch - sweet potato, spinach stir-fry, and vegetable soup. By dinner time I reacted to another stressful afternoon by following my husband's desire to eat out while we were out doing chores.... Poor choices!! Yikes! I've got to get this under control. I hate to blame stressful situations but I think I'm doing some emotional eating. I've had several stressful situations lately, from medical issues involving abnormal screening results to situational stressors. I need to get back in control.
August MWL Countdown
:-D :mrgreen: :-( :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :o :( 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:31 am

August MWL Countdown
:-D :mrgreen: :-( :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :o :( 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Okay, giving up is not an option. Today I intend to curb my cravings and cavings. :)
Last edited by moonlight on Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:37 am

I think our journal entries of struggling are showing people what is real. I get so frustrated when I see "perfection" all the time. Perhaps some people can do that, can go from from a lousy diet to a perfect diet in a day, but I know I can't. It's a progression. Of course, I didn't just have a heart attack either. It's all about one's motivation.

Personally I know, right now, that I will stick to this diet. But there will be lumps and bumps along the way. I will continue to eat out with my friends and family, and do my best to make good choices, but they won't all be perfect choices.

For me, when I'm struggling to get over a hump, like I said, I lighten up. But what I tend to do is eat more of something compliant. I laugh now, because when I did low carb I just ate lots of eggs, or meat or whatever. Now I'm free to eat tons of air fried potatoes...lol. If I make myself too full on compliant items, I'm less able to eat junk. Usually it only takes me a meal or two to get over that craving hump. Personally, I'm not in any craving mode right now. Except still fruit, and I would like to eat a bit less of it, but I tell myself it's summer, the fruit is lovely, and in a month or two there will be less and over the winter it won't be something I overeat. Well, that's what I tell myself at least.
AnnetteW

Postby moonlight » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:24 am

August MWL Countdown
:-D :mrgreen: :-( :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :o :( :-D 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

I’m feeling good. Yesterday I managed to stay out of restaurants. I ate a few chips but that was it for non-compliance. I’m happy when I can keep myself on this diet plan. My energy levels are better. I know it is much better for my health, too.

Annette, thanks for the note. My attitude is very similar to yours. I just need to work harder at not straying because I really want to finish losing excess weight. I get so much inspiration from reading people’s experiences on this website. Hopefully, I’m back on track.

Today I started off with bulgar. I’m hoping I’ll make it home to eat lunch rather than stopping off at some restaurant. I’m getting a follow-up on a medical screen that was abnormal. I’ve noticed that stress eating has been a problem for me lately. I have another medical test on Thursday to follow-up on another abnormal screening. This one is at a day surgery center... I’m looking forward to these issues getting cleared up and hopefully no talk of the big C.
Last edited by moonlight on Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:04 pm

Oh ack! an abnormal screening is so worrisome! I hope it turns out to be nothing. Keep us posted! Glad you're still trouping along.

You Rock!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:30 pm

Wishing you well, moonlight! I know all to well how nerve-wracking those "abnormal" findings can be - sending good thoughts and hoping it turns out to be nothing serious! Take care. :D
Mark Cooper

Postby moonlight » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:40 am

Thank you, Mark and Buns. I really appreciate your kind words. I thought I was handling the worrisome issues but my mind keeps drifting off in What If territory... Yesterday's test result indicated benign cysts. Hopefully, Thursday's biopsy will be negative as well. I'm not working today. I'm hoping to get a handle on my 'pity party' attitude and generate some positive energy! :D

August MWL Countdown
:-D :mrgreen: :-( :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :o :( :-D :( :D 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Last edited by moonlight on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
moonlight

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals