Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby moonlight » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:22 am

Today I'm starting to feel better. :) I've been thankful for the soup I froze in the last few weeks. It's been nice to have ready meals without much prep this week. I'm planning to do some walking today. The first exercise in a week. It's beautiful here. Blue skies and colorful leaves everywhere.

Wishing everyone a happy fall!

October :D :mrgreen: :shock: :D :D :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :D :D :( :mrgreen: :D :mad: :mrgreen: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 27 28 29 30 31
moonlight

Postby dlee » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:19 am

Hi Moonlight hope you are feeling better. I haven't read your whole journal just pieces here and there. You're doing well and you are brave to be so candid! That is the point to be accountable, but still hard to be that vulnerable. I applaud your efforts..
Just one little tweak that occurred to me when reading a few of your last entries ...you like burritos they are a quick meal and satisfying, I love them too. Just wondered if you could find a compliant tortilla either Corn or Ezekial sprouted wheat tortillas? Kind of pricey but they would be guilt free.
Another thing that I do is just make a sort of burrito in a bowl without the wrap. More like a budda bowl. But taste is similar with whatever ingredients you have on hand. I place brown rice in the bottom of a shallow about 8" in diameter bowl, and top with beans of any kind, chopped green onion , cut up cherry tomatoes, grated carrot, a small dib of Soy light sauce. or a splash of sweet chili sauce. I add any chopped left over veggies I have too. Like left over steamed broccoli, or spinach, which lowers the calorie density of the meal. Any ingredients you put in a burrito you could do this with. Hope this helps, :-D Dlee
dlee

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:18 am

Moonlight,

sorry to learn you have been feeling puny. There's something going around my area, too. Wylie's had it for weeks, and I am currently fighting it REALLY HARD with zinc and oregano, and trying to eat wisely. Plenty of rest, etc.

feel better!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:43 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:Moonlight,

sorry to learn you have been feeling puny. There's something going around my area, too. Wylie's had it for weeks, and I am currently fighting it REALLY HARD with zinc and oregano, and trying to eat wisely. Plenty of rest, etc.

feel better!

Seems we're all under the weather.

How do you take the zinc and oregano? Both of them always give me a stomachache, especially zinc.
AnnetteW

Postby moonlight » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:42 pm

Thank you all for the well wishes!!! I am finally starting to feel like I might make it! Today I felt like I had some energy. My eardrum burst! That ear still feels stopped up and I can't hear well. Hopefully, with some time all will heal. I'm still taking antibiotics. Thankfully, I haven't had any digestive upset.

Boy, I've been depressed the last few days! Last week all I did was sleep but once I started feeling a little better but not good enough to do much, the blues set in. It's really been quite interesting to see where my thoughts and fears have taken me. I feel some sense of renewal now. Today I got a lot of work done in my home office. Lots of paperwork type things that I have been putting off. I'm ready to go back to work tomorrow. I am hoping I won't struggle too much. I have a very full day that won't end until 7:30 in the evening.

My weight has stayed at 169. I started getting my appetite back today. I made veggie burgers and had one on an onion bun. I'm not going to worry too much about diet tomorrow. I'm just hoping to make it through the day!

A friend asked me to go hiking Friday. I said yes without telling her that I've been sick. It will give me something to look forward to and help me strive to get my energy back. I plan to row for a little exercise on Thursday. Tomorrow I will be doing a lot of walking for work. :)

BTW, Annette, that was Buns talking about the zinc. Maybe she will chime in on her method. :)
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:58 pm

AnnetteW wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote:Moonlight,

feel better!

Seems we're all under the weather.

How do you take the zinc and oregano? Both of them always give me a stomachache, especially zinc.

Oh yes, if I take this stuff on an empty stomach I can feel a little icky. I use zinc lozenges that dissolve in my mouth. Evidently, bacteria cannot survive in the presence of zinc, so you let it dissolve and don't eat or drink anything for 15 minutes. It coats your throat. Zinc caplets are not the same thing. The dissolving tablets are what you want. I keep zinc in my desk at work, and I always have oregano oil at home. I don't take that stuff at work. Oy! potent stuff and tastes extremely nasty.

But when I'm coming down with something, if I take four drops under the tongue, wash it down with huge gulps of water, three or four times a day: when I first get up, as soon as I get home from work, and at bedtime, sometimes throwing in an extra dose between getting home and going to bed. I've stopped so many respiratory infections this way, and I've actually defeated cellulitis many times with oregano oil. In fact, now that I have a full blown cold, which hit the day before yesterday, I'm already getting over it by use of zinc and oregano. I figure I'll be over it completely by Monday.

The tummy ache is a bit less of a problem if I eat a slice of bread right afterwards. Zinc is worse for my stomach than oregano. Oregano oil is harsh on the throat if you don't guzzle a big cup of water right after. Under the tongue, and wash it down with big water.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:02 am

I'm looking forward to a change in my pursuit of weight lose and healthier living. I lost weight in September and October. The first time in a while. I have kept off what I lost while I had a cold. That's encouraging.

One change in my eating behavior has been reducing salt intake. I noticed a change in my appetite before I got sick. I noticed that my appetite was reduced. I think it is the reduction of salt. At first my food tasted bland but I just kept at it - no added salt. Now when I think I would like a little salt, I just pay closer attention to the taste and realize there's good taste in the food. I don't notice the food tasting bland anymore. I stopped salt to help with reducing my blood pressure. The reduction in appetite was a pleasant bonus. BTW, my BP this morning was 118/82. It is going down! I think when I drop the rest of the excess weight, I will be in the normal range. :D

Friday I hiked 11 miles! It was over 3300 ft elevation climb. It took me 4 hours to get to the top but I was able to do it. It wasn't unbearably hard, just hard enough to be a challenge. I'm so happy I can still do hikes like this.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:52 am

So, today is my birthday! I am 62. I'm thankful to be as healthy as I am. In the years before I turned 50, my weight had crept up to 170. I made a goal to weigh 150 when I turned 50. I succeeded but quickly regained the weight and gained another 38 pounds over the next 10 years... So, today I weigh 168 at 62. I feel good that I don't weigh more and that it seems I've turned a corner and have started to lose again. My goal now is that when I turn 63 I will be at my goal weight. :D

Today's Plan:

Exercise: row for at least 30 minutes

Eating Plan:
B: I had potatoes, corn, onion, spinach, and red jalapeno stir-fried with decaf coffee
L: cabbage soup, steamed veggies and bulgur
D: A little splurge - nachos with veggies and mushrooms (no cheese!) and a Margareta (I have a date with some girlfriends)

I have decided not to indulge in birthday cake this year. :D
moonlight

Postby Shmookitty » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:35 am

Happy birthday! :-D

I am impressed by your ability to do those long hikes! Good for you!!
My name is Renee, McDougalling starting October 5, 2019
Shmookitty

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:35 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

:mrgreen: :unibrow: :ninja: :drool: :cool:

Wishing you all the best!

p.s. I'm still snorting and coughing a bit too
AnnetteW

Postby moonlight » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:39 am

Thank you for the birthday wishes!! :D They are always fun!

Yesterday after breakfast I had an upset stomach that lasted through early afternoon. I was wiped out after that. I think it's from taking antibiotics.... Last night I ate toast and tomato soup. (I had to cancel my date with girlfriends...) The tomato soup wasn't the best choice. I made it with water but it was Campbell's. It probably had a little fat, sodium, and dairy added in... I wanted something low fiber and comforting. I should have pureed the leftover stir-fried vegetables from last week. I think I'll do that for my lunch today.

I rowed 30 minutes this morning. I had to push myself. I kept telling myself that last Friday I hiked all day. I started back on a decongestant during the night. I still have sinus congestion. My left Eustachian tube is closed. I can't hear out of that ear. When I was so sick a couple of weeks ago that eardrum ruptured.... I'm looking forward to this going away!!
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:29 am

I've been out of town at a conference since Wednesday afternoon. I've eaten in restaurants the whole time. Most choices were not the best... several veggie burgers. It's surprising how many restaurants don't serve baked potatoes. I was with a friend so I didn't make all restaurant decisions. I weighed yesterday and I'm up 4 pounds but I think sodium is driving most of that. I'm back to good MWL food. I've been taking a decongestant that can cause blood pressure to rise. Last night my BP reading was 149/104! I guess it was a combination of a little caffeine, sodium, and Mucinex D. I switched to an antihistamine, no caffeine, and very low sodium. I'm also drinking more water. I felt chronically dehydrated on my trip. The conference provided small 1 Cup size cups for water and the water was in the back of the room. I guess they were saving money.... There were no tables, only chairs so no place to provide pitchers of water. I'm glad to be home!

B: steel cut oats and a banana
L: cabbage soup, steak fries
D: greens, beans, onions, tomatoes, 2 slices WW bread
Snacks: apple, pickled Brussel sprouts, oatmeal, granola bar
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:08 am

Today's Plan:

Exercise: rowing and weights A friend told me about HAS Fit, an online site with free weight training programs. She loves it. I'll give it a try. ** I liked the YouTube beginner's workout! It kept me moving with low impact weight lifting and stretches for 30 minutes!

Food Plan:
B: oatmeal with 1/2 banana, 1/3 C blueberries, and 2 tsp ground flax seed
L: cabbage soup and baked sweet potato
D: rice dahl casserole and steamed veggies
Snacks: bulgur with veggies, apple
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:01 pm

I’ve been struggling staying 100% on MWL food since I returned home. I’ve been eating whole wheat bread, which doesn’t seem too bad, but I’ve also eaten a couple of granola bars, some white pasta, and a few ginger snap cookies. It’s so frustrating! I was doing really well getting down to 168 but I’m afraid tomorrow’s weight will be up 3-4 lbs.... Nothing to do but try harder. The last couple of nights I’ve had unsatisfactory dinners. Tonight I made a soup that I couldn’t eat. I want to add salt... I saved it. Maybe tomorrow I can find something to go in it that will make it good. One thing about it is it has home grown green beans that my husband didn’t string when he snapped them. That tough string is in the soup... I may just throw it away and start over. I haven’t had to do that in a while. So disappointing! I need to do a little research and find some good staples that I enjoy and concentrate on those menus. Satisfying food is important for me.

I loved it when I was taking the decongestant. I lost my appetite. I wish there was a healthy way to lose that urge to eat constantly. It’s on my mind at least 80% of my day. Even when I’m full...
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:07 pm

To help me get back on the MWL weight loss plan I have planned 7 days worth of menus. A plan is always a good way to start any big project. I've also reprinted the MWL guidelines for eating and exercising. I'm going to print all of this every day for a week and read over the goals and make comments daily.

A 7-day MWL plan!!
Intentions for Eating, Exercise, and Sitting Meditation for 7 days:
Day 1 Thursday 11/14/19
B: oatmeal with fruit
L: No Plan
D: baked potato, roasted beets, onions, and carrots, and split pea soup
Snacks: celery and apple and steak fried potatoes
Planned Exercise: WaterRower 30 minutes
Sitting Meditation: 30 minutes

Actual Eats and Exercise and Meditation:
B:oatmeal with fruit
L: sub sandwich (black bean patty w/ fixings) on WW bread and baked potato chips
D: baked potato, roasted beets, onions, and carrots, and split pea soup Very good dinner!
Snacks:
Actual Exercise: none, but will start tomorrow!
Sitting Meditation:

Day 2
L: Oriental salad (MWL cookbook), sweet potato and spicy greens
D: split pea soup, veggie/bean meatless loaf, mashed potatoes, roasted cabbage and beets
Snacks:carrots and celery and apple or orange and baby potatoes
Planned Exercise: WaterRower
Sitting Meditation

B:
L:
D:
Snacks:
Actual Exercise:
Sitting Meditation:
Day 3
L:Oriental salad (MWL cookbook), sweet potato and spicy greens
D: broccoli chowder, veggie/bean meatless loaf, mashed potatoes
Sitting Meditation

B:
L:
D:
Snacks:
Actual Exercise:
Sitting Meditation:
Day 4
Sitting Meditation

B:
L:
D:
Snacks:
Actual Exercise:
Sitting Meditation:
Day 5
L: baby potatoes
Sitting Meditation

B:
L:
D:
Snacks:
Actual Exercise:
Sitting Meditation:
Day 6
D: coleslaw, chili, rice
Sitting Meditation

B:
L:
D:
Snacks:
Actual Exercise:
Sitting Meditation:
Day 7
D: coleslaw, chili, rice
Snacks: carrots and celery and apple or orange and baby potatoes
Sitting Meditation

B:
L:
D:
Snacks:
Actual Exercise:
Sitting Meditation:

Maximum Weight Loss for Maximum Health
Program outlined in the MWL book, page 60.
1. Eliminate All Animal Foods :thumbsup:
2. Eliminate All Oils I suspect my lunch black bean patty had oil in it... Unplanned lunch....
3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate All Flour Products I missed this one today. Unplanned lunch. Ate at sandwich shop. Chose the WW bread but it really looked processed - not like Ezekiel brand WW bread...
5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes :thumbsup:
6. Eat Legumes :thumbsup:
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal :thumbsup:
8. Eat Uncooked Foods :thumbsup:
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice :thumbsup:
10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly :thumbsup:

Guidelines for Healthy Eating in MWL book, page 67.
1. Eat until you’re satisfied
2. Graze
3. Allow time for digestion
4. Chew foods thoroughly
5. Restrict variety
I'm going to add to this list: Plan ahead. Have food ready.

Weight-Losing Reasons to Exercise. MWL book, page 100.
1. Exercise burns calories
2. Calories continue to burn after exercise
3. Exercise counteracts plateaus
4. Exercise suppresses appetite
5. Exercise reduces insulin
6. Exercise protects and increases muscle mass

Exercise you can live with. MWL book, page 106-107
Aerobics:
The best kind of exercise. Walking, running, cycling, & swimming are not only enjoyable but highly efficient ways to lose weight.

Benefits of weight training:
Build a stronger body I want this!!
Build a shapelier body
Strengthen ligaments
Improve bone density
Help prevent musculoskeletal injury
Elevate metabolism
Increase stamina
Elevate blood levels of HDL cholesterol

Your New Daily Exercise Plan: MWL Book Page 109
1. Get up half an hour earlier each day, or skip a TV program to do a specific exercise.
2. Make exercise a part of each day.Yes I can!!
3. Choose an activity that you have always enjoyed and do it at least four times per week
4. Sometimes purchasing equipment helps to motivate…
5. Invest in a membership in a YMCA, YWCA, or health and fitness club
6. Ask a friend to become your exercise partner
7. Go dancing, a great aerobic (and romantic) exercise
8. Join a walking or hiking club.
9. Check with your local adult-education program for exercise programs.
10. Keep an exercise journal.This is my journal
Last edited by moonlight on Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals