Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby moonlight » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:34 am

Yesterday I was determined to stay within the MWL guidelines while I was out of the house for the day. Sometimes I buy sushi at the grocery store but it has avocado in it. I always think it's just a little and doesn't count too much against me. Yesterday I wanted to stay very strict. I decided to have a salad at a sandwich shop that had a salad bar. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had baked sweet potatoes and white potatoes on their menu, along with steamed vegetables. It was such a treat to find another place to eat that I know will have 100% compliant MWL food - and not just salad. The vegetables were plain, no butter or oil. :)

I've lost a pound this week (173). It's helping to write a brief plan of what I will eat daily. I've actually looked back at it late in the day when I'm hungry and don't have anything ready to go. I still have one quart of rice dal casserole in the freezer if I need it. Today I need to grocery shop. I have only one small white potato. Potatoes are my most satisfying meal. I also need to make soup.

I'm considering joining a gym close to my house. I can join for only a month if I want. I've wasted money there before so,,, It's a fine gym. I want to start weight training again. It's close to my house. I can afford the membership. It will improve my strength. It may raise my metabolism. It's on the way to the grocery store. What else can I say?
Ah, just do it!

Today's Plan
Exercise: rowing or the transfer of leaves from one place to another :) Neither of these happened....

Food
B: *potato and veggie stir-fry
L: bulgur salad
D: salad, steak fries, homemade and lentils
Snacks: blueberries, banana, raw carrots

*I made this stir-fry with canned diced potatoes. In this dish the potatoes were good. I've tried canned potatoes before, heating them and eating with a spice or ketchup, but I didn't like them at all. I think keeping a can on the shelf for a quick meal when there's no fresh potatoes will work for me.

October :D :mrgreen: :shock: :D :D :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:13 am

Yesterday I rowed first thing in the morning. I seem to get lost in the day and forget to exercise... I had to go to a funeral out of town yesterday. Afterwards my husband and I went out to eat. I had decided that I wouldn't stress too much if I went off my MWL diet. I ordered a cocktail. My husband helped me drink it. For my meal I was pleasantly surprised. They had something the server referred to as their 'vegan meal'. It was a baked sweet potato topped with pico de gallo with a side of roasted vegetables. It was very good. If it had oil on it, it was very little. Two days in a row I have been surprised by vegan options other than a salad. Are restaurants starting to respond to the chant for people to reduce meat consumption?

When I got home I had two burritos made with whole wheat flour. The filling was half/half broccoli and pinto beans. Not a bad choice but the tortillas had some fat.

I felt pretty good about my eating yesterday, given the amount of stress I experienced around traveling, spending the day out of town, accommodating my husband's needs, and attending the funeral of a dear friend's son. I don't want to just think that stress is a good excuse to go off my diet but in reality sometimes that happens.

Today's Plan

Exercise: 30 minutes rowing

Food Plan:

I'm not sure what my meals will be. I'll be at home so I should be able to stay within MWL guidelines. Potatoes have been my go to food lately. I'm a little burned out on bulgur. :) I want to make some split pea soup.

I made this recipe. It is delicious! The potatoes and carrots give it a little sweet taste. I used water. It made 2 1/2 quarts of stew. I would describe it as stew, not soup.

SPLIT PEA SOUP (Heather McDougall’s)
adapted from https://www.forksoverknives.com/print/r ... p?id=14328

By Heather McDougall, Serves 8-10, Ready In: 2 hours or (30 minutes in Instant Pot)
This is my family’s favorite split pea soup. My mom has been making this version for over 25 years. This tastes even better the next day and is great over baked potatoes or brown rice.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups green split peas
¼ cup steel cut oats or oat groats
8 cups low-sodium vegetable stock (good with water too)
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 sweet potatoes (size of 2 russets), chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 tablespoons parsley flakes
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon paprika
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Instructions:
1. Place split peas, oats and stock in a large pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and add bay
leaves and celery seed. Cover and cook over low heat for 1/2 hour.
2. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 1 additional hour.

B: millet and stir-fried onions, mushrooms, red bell peppers, and jalapeno. Topped with fresh cilantro. No added salt or spices. Very good.
L: large salad, leftover millet stir-fry, and split pea stew

October :D :mrgreen: :shock: :D :D :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :D :D 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:22 am

Sunday night I crashed off my diet... I don't know why, other than I couldn't sleep. I woke up every 30-40 minutes and ate something. Most of it was off the MWL guidelines. I was anxious because I had made a plan to hike with a friend on Monday and I wasn't getting any sleep....

Yesterday I stayed on my diet and had a nice hike, despite the lack of good sleep. I hoped I hiked off the extra calories. We hiked 11.5 miles.

Today I go to the doctor to check my blood pressure. It varies between an average of 127/90 in May to the 140's/96. I'm not sure what causes the change. I have reduced my caffeine by half since July. I started reducing sodium in a serious way the last few weeks. I hope the doctor doesn't recommend medicine.

Exercise: 30 minutes water rower

B: couscous
L: two ww flour tortillas, fat free refried beans, broccoli WW tortillas off MWL plan
D: big salad, split pea stew, steak fries
Snacks: banana, blueberries

October :D :mrgreen: :shock: :D :D :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :D :D :( :mrgreen: 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Last edited by moonlight on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:14 pm

moonlight wrote:Yesterday I rowed first thing in the morning. I seem to get lost in the day and forget to exercise... I had to go to a funeral out of town yesterday. Afterwards my husband and I went out to eat. I had decided that I wouldn't stress too much if I went off my MWL diet. I ordered a cocktail. My husband helped me drink it. For my meal I was pleasantly surprised. They had something the server referred to as their 'vegan meal'. It was a baked sweet potato topped with pico de gallo with a side of roasted vegetables. It was very good. If it had oil on it, it was very little. Two days in a row I have been surprised by vegan options other than a salad. Are restaurants starting to respond to the chant for people to reduce meat consumption?

When I got home I had two burritos made with whole wheat flour. The filling was half/half broccoli and pinto beans. Not a bad choice but the tortillas had some fat.

I felt pretty good about my eating yesterday, given the amount of stress I experienced around traveling, spending the day out of town, accommodating my husband's needs, and attending the funeral of a dear friend's son. I don't want to just think that stress is a good excuse to go off my diet but in reality sometimes that happens.

Today's Plan

Exercise: 30 minutes rowing

Food Plan:

I'm not sure what my meals will be. I'll be at home so I should be able to stay within MWL guidelines. Potatoes have been my go to food lately. I'm a little burned out on bulgur. :) I want to make some split pea soup.

I made this recipe. It is delicious! The potatoes and carrots give it a little sweet taste. I used water. It made 2 1/2 quarts of stew. I would describe it as stew, not soup.

SPLIT PEA SOUP (Heather McDougall’s)
adapted from https://www.forksoverknives.com/print/r ... p?id=14328

By Heather McDougall, Serves 8-10, Ready In: 2 hours or (30 minutes in Instant Pot)
This is my family’s favorite split pea soup. My mom has been making this version for over 25 years. This tastes even better the next day and is great over baked potatoes or brown rice.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups green split peas
¼ cup steel cut oats or oat groats
8 cups low-sodium vegetable stock (good with water too)
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 sweet potatoes (size of 2 russets), chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 tablespoons parsley flakes
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon paprika
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Instructions:
1. Place split peas, oats and stock in a large pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and add bay
leaves and celery seed. Cover and cook over low heat for 1/2 hour.
2. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 1 additional hour.

B: millet and stir-fried onions, mushrooms, red bell peppers, and jalapeno. Topped with fresh cilantro. No added salt or spices. Very good.
L: large salad, leftover millet stir-fry, and split pea stew

October :D :mrgreen: :shock: :D :D :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :D :D 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Mmm this split pea soup recipe sounds like just the thing! I am DIGGIN soup weather :nod: I love that it has steel cut oats! Great idea. And I think you're right...restaurants are hearing the request for non-meat-centered entrees. When we ate at the fancy steakhouse in Vegas, their Vegetarian Platter was amazing. Three side dishes of my choice, and all three were yummy (but plenty of fat except in the corn dish)...now to get restaurants to cook without oil :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:22 pm

Yes, Buns, it's getting easier to eat out. Hopefully, WFPB menus will continue to expand. :D Now, that excuse can be crossed off my excuse list! I hope to stay focused on what's important. Cheers to keep losing the extra weight, exercise daily, eat right, smile more often. :D
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:32 am

Yesterday I had WW flour tortillas that were off plan but all my other eating was good. :D

I went to the doctor yesterday to follow-up on my blood pressure. I was really tired from my hike the previous day and my BP was 147/94. I was told I should consider medication. So very depressing! I said I wanted to continue to try lifestyle changes. I realized I have not been diligent with losing weight, exercising, or salt intake. Even though I feel like I'm constantly on a diet and that I've accomplished so much since I've lost some weight, the fact is I'm overweight and I don't have a regular exercise routine. Just a couple of weeks ago I started eating less salt, exercising more, and following the MWL more closely. I need to keep my actual accomplishments in check. I haven't been doing that well in the last year - just maintaining my weight loss. And, really I wasn't doing a great job of that. I hit a low of 169 in July and immediately popped back up to 175. I feel that I've gotten more serious about this the last couple of weeks. This health scare should help keep me on track. Last night I checked my BP again and it was 123/80. This morning it was 119/82. I guess being tired made it go up yesterday morning. I'm going back to the doctor in one month. Incentive to help me stay focused. I plan to check my BP everyday and step on the scale a couple of times a week.

Today's Plan
Exercise: Rowing Didn't get to this
Food Plan:
B: steel cut oats
Snack: apple
L: McAlister's Potato spud with veggies
D: salad, split pea stew, potato fries Didn't eat to this (white pasta with tomatoes
Snack: blueberries Cheese and ginger snaps

October :D :mrgreen: :shock: :D :D :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :D :D :( :mrgreen: :D :mad: 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Last edited by moonlight on Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:23 am

As long as you have a blood pressure cuff at home (sounds like you do, or go buy one, Omron is good) test regulary. I was on blood pressure meds for 2 years, and just decided to stop them when I switched my diet to WF's back in February. Within a month my blood pressure dropped quite a bit. And now it's just fine, usually under 120/80. Sometimes it's a bit higher, but I rather not take the meds, as from what I've read, it's not the meds that will save my life. I still pay attention to it as I do believe we have a family trait, as both my mom and sister have high blood pressure and both are slim, fit and active.
AnnetteW

Postby moonlight » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:56 am

Thanks for your comments, Annette. My BP has been normal twice since Tuesday morning. I was really tired from the hike I did the day before and I had taken some Aleve. I'm guessing that had an influence in the reading. This morning it was 120/85. I guess that's not normal but getting closer. I plan to continue to avoid sodium, continue with half/half caffeine/decaf coffee, and work harder at diet and exercise. Yesterday was not a good example of those efforts, though....

Yesterday I got home late and was hungry. I made poor eating decisions. Wednesday and Thursday are my busy days....

October :D :mrgreen: :shock: :D :D :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :D :D :( :mrgreen: :D :mad: 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:03 am

I came down with a cold yesterday. :cry: No exercise... But I stayed within MWL guidelines. This was easy to do because I have no appetite. I just put on some cabbage soup. I may try to row some this afternoon, but I don't have a lot of energy...

Friday I hiked but I ate an ice cream cone afterwards... I'm easily swayed. I didn't want to disappoint my friend. Eating ice cream cones is a social thing. Probably no fun by yourself. Next time I'll be able to say no, that once in a while is all I can do.

October :D :mrgreen: :shock: :D :D :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :D :D :( :mrgreen: :D :mad: :mrgreen: :D :D 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Last edited by moonlight on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby AnnetteW » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:11 pm

Your body knew it was getting sick, hence the higher blood pressure. Seriously. Okay, so I don't know for sure, but it's quite likely.

Get healthy then get more active.

Hope you feel better soon.
AnnetteW

Postby moonlight » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:47 am

I put smiley faces on my calendar for the last two days even though I don't feel very smiley. I'm eating within MWL guidelines but feeling pretty crummy. I'm not sure if it will hold but I've lost 3 lbs. (170) That may come back up when I get back to a regular routine and appetite. My BP this morning was 123/94. I'm staying away from adding salt to my meals. Some condiments that I eat, such as ketchup and mustard, have sodium. I'm not sure how strict I need to be with that. I'm also drinking half the caffeine as before. I might try to cut it out all together since I haven't felt like drinking any coffee this week. I'm thinking that I really need to increase my exercise intensity. I use my WaterRower mostly and I sweat slightly after 30 minutes. I row at about 30 strokes per minute. I'm going to try to pick up that intensity. My heart rate gets up to a moderate intensity level but I haven't been monitoring it to see if it is sustained through out most of the workout.

October :D :mrgreen: :shock: :D :D :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :D :D :( :mrgreen: :D :mad: :mrgreen: :D :D :D :D 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:35 pm

My weight has dropped 4 lbs. I think it might be because I've been sick with a cold and I'm not eating much. I would be so happy if it stays in the 160's. Some kind of psychological thing.

I don't have much to report. I've mostly been sleeping. Today I went to the doctor because my eye and ear are both being affected. The doctor checked my white blood cells, said they were elevated, indicating this was bacterial, not viral. So now I start antibiotics.

October :D :mrgreen: :shock: :D :D :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :D :D :( :mrgreen: :D :mad: :mrgreen: :D :D :D :D :D :D 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Last edited by moonlight on Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby sirdle » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:11 pm

moonlight wrote:The doctor checked my white blood cells, said they were elevated, indicating this was bacterial, not viral.

Really? White blood cells don't rise during a viral infection? (I'm not being snarky... I truly do not know the answer.)
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby moonlight » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:56 am

Hi Sirdle, I wondered that too - after I left the doctor's office. I felt so bad I was practically in a daze. On the medical website for my results, it breaks down the white blood count test. The abnormal results were WBC, Moncytes , and granulocytes. They were all higher than the normal range. From what I've found on the internet is that when WBC is high it can be an indication of bacterial infection that is treated with antibiotics. So, maybe the combination of these 3 markers being high helped her decide to treat with antibiotics. I hope the antibiotics don't cause lasting gut problems. I've been sick for 5 days now and I'm hoping to get some relief.

My eating habits have centered around soup mostly. I eat some potatoes as well. I'm also drinking a fruit smoothie at night from blueberries, banana, and water. I'm hoping to row a little today and see if it makes me feel better. I have been sleeping more than I've been awake for the last few days.

October :D :mrgreen: :shock: :D :D :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :D :D :( :mrgreen: :D :mad: :mrgreen: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Last edited by moonlight on Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby sirdle » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:34 am

moonlight wrote:So, maybe the combination of these 3 markers being high helped her decide to treat with antibiotics.

That makes sense. :mrgreen:

Best of luck with the antibiotics! :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals