Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby moonlight » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:51 pm

Last night I went to bed a little hungry. I couldn't sleep due to pain in my hip, almost felt like restless leg syndrome. I got up 3 times and ate. :( I had taken the trazodone for sleep, aspirin for pain, and Xanax for anxiety. None of that worked... Sometimes I do great with no night-time eating then other times it's like a demon has taken over my body... Today I'm struggling with wanting to eat. I'm thinking about giving in and eating until I'm satisfied, just keep what I eat to MWL food.

Exercised 30 minutes on WaterRower

B: millet and Brussel sprouts
L: Grandpa's Eatloaf and salad
afternoon and evening I ate a lot, all MWL compliant food:
potatoes, canned corn, millet with sautéed mushrooms and onions; popcorn, cooked beets and cauliflower
Last edited by moonlight on Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby Michele613 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:04 pm

Whatever you choose to do...remember you are not a failure....you are a human being on a journey. Choose wisely and get back on track. Maybe some soothing music or some online soft talk youtube to get you through this feeling of being unsettled. I am eating some homemade cornbread as I write at 12 midnight. I could have done without it but I decided to eat on program but eat nonetheless. Don't give yourself a guilt trip. You've been doing an amazing job....keep it up. Some days or nights are harder than others and I bet you've conquered others in the past. You can do it! :)
Michele613

Postby moonlight » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Michele,
Thank you so much for your comments. I really appreciate you taking the time to write me. I’ve really been struggling. I’m trying to understand it and figure out what needs to be done. Night-time eating really gets me down. I get it under control for a while then it just comes roaring back. I refuse to give up. I’ll find some way to overcome it. I feel like I’m not in control. Like you said, you are choosing to eat homemade cornbread late at night. I feel like I don’t have a choice. I know that sounds crazy but I feel like I’m going to go crazy if I don’t go eat. Many times I do eat food from MWL plan, like canned corn or cold baked potatoes. I won’t give up! So, this is long winded and whiny but you’ve really made me feel better today. Thanks!
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:16 pm

I made it through the night without eating!! I slept all night without waking once. Very nice. And, I didn't take any drugs to help me sleep. I noticed I've lost a pound, too. That makes me feel better. I just need to keep going in this direction. I've been stalled for several weeks now.

I'm planning to apply for a new job. One thought I've had is how thankful I am that I've been losing weight. I know I'll have more confidence in myself during the interview process than I would have before I started losing weight.

This morning I started my day doing 30 minutes on the WaterRower.

B: millet with cooked apple
L: Grandpa's Eatloaf and salad
D: sweet potato and veggies
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:17 am

The scales are being my friend. I'm down another pound (175 lbs.). I had another positive night. No eating after going to bed. I slept through the night without any sleep medications. What is the difference from a few days ago? Not sure. I am exercising daily. I am, for the most part, on the MWL plan. I just hope it continues. The first thing I catch myself thinking about when I wake up in the morning is how thankful I am that I made it through the night without eating.

I'm enjoying the Beck Diet Solution: Train your brain to think like a thin person. I'm finding the exercises to be very helpful. Part of the plan is to make index cards with positive statements then read the cards everyday. I've noticed that I remember what I've written throughout the day. When I start eating I remember the card stating "Eat slowly". I remember the strategy I created to help me do this when I'm eating. So far, a very helpful program.
moonlight

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:48 pm

moonlight wrote:The scales are being my friend. I'm down another pound (175 lbs.). I had another positive night. No eating after going to bed. I slept through the night without any sleep medications. What is the difference from a few days ago? Not sure. I am exercising daily. I am, for the most part, on the MWL plan. I just hope it continues. The first thing I catch myself thinking about when I wake up in the morning is how thankful I am that I made it through the night without eating.

I'm enjoying the Beck Diet Solution: Train your brain to think like a thin person. I'm finding the exercises to be very helpful. Part of the plan is to make index cards with positive statements then read the cards everyday. I've noticed that I remember what I've written throughout the day. When I start eating I remember the card stating "Eat slowly". I remember the strategy I created to help me do this when I'm eating. So far, a very helpful program.

Hi Moonlight!! :-D

Congratulations !! That is all awesome --- weight down, sleeping through the night, daily exercise!!! Woot!!

I am so curious about the Beck Diet Solution - sounds really helpful in "thinking" and strategizing.

It's funny how much of this process is psychological and requires coping mechanisms or developing habits. Seems like where we each may have unique challenges in "following the MWL rules" that we also each may have opportunity to develop individual strategies to overcome these challenges.

Wishing you the best!
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby moonlight » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:40 am

VegSeekingFit wrote:Congratulations !! That is all awesome --- weight down, sleeping through the night, daily exercise!!! Woot!!

I am so curious about the Beck Diet Solution - sounds really helpful in "thinking" and strategizing.

It's funny how much of this process is psychological and requires coping mechanisms or developing habits. Seems like where we each may have unique challenges in "following the MWL rules" that we also each may have opportunity to develop individual strategies to overcome these challenges.

Thank you, Stephanie! I am thankful everyday that I'm being successful and sticking with changing my diet. That sense of accomplishment and self-esteem can't be replicated with emotional eating!!

I think when starting a diet or radically changing your diet, there is so much to consider. At first it is just getting the right food, getting it prepared, learning the logistics of making it work in your life. Learning to fit in exercise. I think along the way, if you stick with it, you learn it's about much more than just what goes in your mouth. You are right, it's much more psychological - developing habits, regulating coping mechanisms. I watched my father struggle with diet and diabetes. My mother cooked according to what he needed but he would always sneak food, overeat when he wasn't with her. He never really learned to handle his diet. Never came to terms with what he needed. It wasn't just about the food.

I'm continuing the BDS and my exercise program. I know the strategies in the BDS are helping me. I think one of the strategies is to record what I plan to eat and then what I actually eat. This will be hard. I don't tend to plan what I'm going to eat for the day before I actually go in the kitchen. I keep prepared meals in the refridgerator but I'm really a last minute decision maker with regard to my meal. I believe in the process so in the near future I will be keeping a food diary here!
moonlight

Postby Idgie » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:19 pm

The planning and staying on plan thing was a game-changer for me. I have so so so so many more compliant days when I do it, so I've made it non-optional for myself.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby moonlight » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Thanks, Idgie. I've noticed you write your plan then your actual meals. I'm going to make myself do it. I really appreciate the BDS. I respect the process. It's helped me in so many ways so far.
moonlight

Postby Idgie » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Good luck! I know not everything works the same for everyone, but this is a real help to me.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby moonlight » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:50 am

Okay, I'm going to start writing my weekly goals and eating plan in my journal again. I got away from doing this but I need the accountability or I'm going to flunk the BDS program! This last week I had extra work to do that was stressful. First thing off my goals was exercise. I only exercised a couple of times. I also hurt my back last Sunday and needed to rest it but at least by Wednesday I should have been back on my program. I worked out on Saturday and Thursday only.

I've been into making variations on the Grandpa's Eatloaf recipe. My latest one has a sweet potato and white beans in it. So very good and easy to re-heat at the end of a busy day. I've been keeping cooked potatoes and salad fixings on the ready, too.

My husband has been diagnosed with prediabetes. I'm trying to help him change his diet. He won't consider eliminating animal products from his diet completely but he has eaten a complete WFPB meal a couple of times this week. I'm still hoping he will convert to this way of eating. It would make it so much easier to be compliant.

45 minutes on the WaterRower! I'm 2 years behind but I just discovered the show This Is Us. Great, well written, even deals with obesity. Perfect 45 minute length. :D

Today I'm doing a BDS challenge. I skipped lunch to expereince hunger and realize I can go hungry! The author has some great suggestions for getting your mind off cravings. I'll be using those late this afternoon, I'm sure.

Breakfast: corn grits

Plan for dinner: white bean and sweet potato veggie loaf, baked potato, and salad
Ate as planned. Added steamed broccoli
S: popcorn
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:50 am

Today's challenge is to plan the week's menu. I'm not quite feeling it yet but I plan to make wedding soup with white bean balls and kale from the Thug Kitchen cookbook. Also some pesto to go over potatoes. I've still got lots of basil in the garden.
Planned breakfast: corn grit cakes with sautéed mushrooms and kale
S: celery sticks
I need to go grocery shopping before I plan the rest of my meals. Or just make potato salad and cabbage soup for lunch.
I practiced gaging my hunger while out shopping. I thought I really needed to eat but the hunger would go away as soon as I got busy walking around the store. While driving I get hungry and focus on it. After the initial big hunger pangs I didn't feel very hungry for about 3 hours. Interesting observation.
L: potatoes
D: corn and basil chowder soup from the Thug Kitchen cookbook. Yum! and sweet potato
S: more soup
Late night snacking :\ pecans and 2 swiss cheese slices
Lately I've been eating nuts and cheese :crybaby:
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:28 am

Planned meals:
B: oatmeal with an apple
L: corn chowder and sweet potato
D: potatoes and pesto and salad
Snacks: celery, carrots

Actual Meals/Snacks
B: oatmeal with an apple
L: corn chowder and sweet potato
S: carrots
D: pesto and rice
S: popcorn

I'm on Day 15 of the BDS. Monitor Your Eating. This has been a challenge in the past. I know that planning meals is the best way to go. I give up because I don't follow the plan then I feel bad. So, I'm taking the approach of a researcher. For one month I will plan my meals (also planning my chores for the day) then report on the actual meals. I have a notebook I've dedicated just to this. One month.
I've been charting my hunger the last couple of days. Writing down when I get hungry and how I feel for 3-4 hours until I eat. I've noticed the hunger pangs diminish with time. I also forget about being hungry when I get busy doing something else.
My biggest challenge is at night, in the evening after dinner but before bed and during the night if I wake up and can't sleep. I've made a cool list (with the help of BDS) of activities to take my mind off eating. I'm encouraged this list will help since I've experienced the afternoon hunger related scenarios. Here's my list: of distraction activities:
Brush teeth (this one is funny to me but I bet it will work)
Polish nails
Reread BDS and MWL books
Play/groom dog
Row on WaterRower
Take a shower
Sit in hot tub
Zentangle
Quoting Dr. Beck: As you follow your diet plan and tolerate craving after craving, you'll find that cravings definitely diminish. You won't have to do battle whenever you see your favorite foods. It'll be such a relief to know you can resist foods you haven't planned to eat, even if the urge to eat is strong.
I'm not sure why, but I can use a strategy for a while, like "I'm glad I'm not eating that", then once I break the spell of complying with it by going against the strategy, it's very hard for that strategy to be effective again. Any psychologists want to comment on that?

So, tonight I had a craving for something crunchy and salty around 10:00.... I brushed my teeth and the craving was gone afterwards and never came back.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:27 am

Having only been diligent about planning and recording my food for one day, I can see how well it works. It just takes a little more effort but the payoff should be totally worth it.

Planned Eats:
B: corn grits w/ sautéed mushrooms and spinach
L: pesto and rice and salad
D: chili w/ pumpkin puree from Thug Kitchen cookbook, salad
Snacks: carrots, celery, popcorn

Actual Eats
B: canned corn (at 4:00 AM)
L: pesto and rice
Snacks: mushroom & spinach w/ purple hull peas; sweet popcorn; 2 oz cheese :cry:
D: purple hull peas, coleslaw, sweet potato
Snacks: rice at 1:30 AM :angry:

Planned Exercise: 45 min on WaterRower
Actual Exercise: 15 min on WaterRower
Last edited by moonlight on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
moonlight

Postby choufleur » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:54 am

You're doing great planning your meals and incorporating BDS! :) I read the BDS many years ago and still sometimes hear (what I imagine anyway) Dr. Beck's gentle voice telling me how much better I'll feel the next morning if I followed my plan and didn't eat anything extra. I like reading about your progress and how it is helping you.

Have a great day!
choufleur

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals