My journal to beat heartburn

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My journal to beat heartburn

Postby Willijan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:05 pm

[quote="astirle"]Hello world

So sorry Riva that you thought I was around..this forum is pretty quiet and I didn't actually think anyone would read my ramblings!

astirle,
Just thought I'd let you know, I am reading your journal. I don't have heartburn, but it is just interesting to see how the McDougall Diet works for people other than myself. I wouldn't have commented, but I want you and others to keep journaling. The journals are informative! Thanks.
Willijan

Postby Riva » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Asterli - I am at 3.5 weeks and I am feeling some difference. I have some hope!

How are you doing?
Riva
Never Ever Give Up
Riva

Postby astirle » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:30 am

That is so good to hear Riva. And best wishes to any other reader!!

I am doing pretty good but I must add that I think I will never actually be free of my acid problem.

But even if I have a few 'kickbacks' (which is a good way to explain it !) they are short in duration (few minutes) and only a fraction of the severity they were before. I often have whole days without a twinge which makes up for the other days.

I have not yet had an endoscopy so I don't know if there is an anatomical reason for it, eg hiatal hernia.
Helicobacter breath test was negative.

Just adopting the mantra never ever give up..which is not naturally easy for me as I am a pessimist at heart..this diet improves my mood and outlook though an :-D other bonus!

6 months now on starch solution, the adventure continues..
On the quest for resilience
astirle

Postby sksamboots » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Thats right! Never give up. Keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby astirle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:46 am

Saw my gp today, she recommended an endoscopy to check out that nothing serious was gong on 'down there'.
This is recommended apparently due to possibilty of Barret's for people with regular heartburn like me, who have had it for over a year.
I will make an appt next week.
Have had some bad days lately but put it down to work stress. Stress really makes heartburn flare up.
Have not strayed from the diet this month except for a glass of champagne at a friend's birthday.
Hope everyone is going well out there in WFPB land :)

Edited to add, my doc mentioned that I should take calcium supplements since I am a gal over 50 not eating any animal products.
When I got home I checked nutritionfacts.org and the conclusion of one of Dr Greger's videos was startling:

Of 1000 people studied on calcium supplements, the following effects was noted in the SUPPLEMENT group 14 heart attacks, 10 strokes and another 13 other cause death. Those impacts were attributed to the supplement group. PLUS there seems to be little to no evidence that bones are improved as a result of calcium supplements!

I then entered what I ate yesterday on cronometer.com (not something I normally do as it is too time consuming).
Yesterday I got 824 mg of calcium from my McDougall starch solution diet which is pretty damn good.
Just need to eat more kale and I will be spot on!

Other interesting results from the day's intake - Australians typically get 20-25g fibre per day, my count was 48g!!
No wonder my gut is so happy these days. Just the stomach that complains :?

No idea why I don't put on weight when I eat so much!
I ate 1800 calories and my basal calorie useage was calculated to be 1600 so theoretically I should be putting on weight.
But since losing 7 kilos (15 pounds) since the beginning of 2017 I have been stable at BMI 23.1 for the last 2 months.
I'd prefer to be BMI 22 but happy enough that I never have to count calories again :-D
astirle

Postby astirle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:51 am

Have not made the endoscopy apt yet, maybe partly because I just had 3 days symptom free!!
Woohoo long may it last.
It has taken 7 months to get here but if it works its all worth it.
All the best everyone, stick with it :nod:
astirle

Postby Riva » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:23 am

HI - I resisted the endoscopy for YEARS and finally gave in. I was happy to find out I didn't have Barretts or any pre cancer stuff.

Glad you are feeling well! See my journal for an update!
Riva
Never Ever Give Up
Riva

Postby eshqua » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:48 am

Thanks for this journal! I just searched for low stomach acid - I think I have a mild case of this- and your journal came up. I have had some GERD also and I have a wedge pillow on my bed and it's helped greatly. I rarely have GERD symptoms unless I eat a high fat meal or a large meal - both of which I really try to avoid but when eating out for a special occasion, I have over indulged and then vow to avoid that mistake in the future.

I have to do more research on low stomach acid since occasionally when I have a morning smoothie without eating oatmeal or some other solid food first, I feel rotten - just an ugly feeling in my stomach for a few hours. My mom had low stomach acid and it crossed my mind that maybe this is the cause. Yes I know that smoothies are not compliant with the McD way of eating but I am trying to get more greens in my diet and in my hubbies diet. I figure if Dr Greger is ok with them, they can't be all bad.

So anyway, I just read through all the posts here and found it interesting. I'm thrilled that you found relief! Very happy for you!
eshqua

Postby astirle » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:01 pm

Greetings eshqua!
Haven't posted for a little while as I injured my finger quite badly and so typing was hard.
But I am feeling just great!!
In the last 2 weeks I have only the most fleeting heartburn sensations.
Pretty much the pain in the chest is GONE, I get the swallowing issues a bit but that's it.
My husband was also commenting how good he was feeling lately, and attributing this to the fact that he eats what I cook (but does drink wine daily and a few other non-McDougall things).

It has been a bit of a slow path, now a full 7 months on the starch solution, but now I am even wondering about bothering with the endoscopy because I feel so much better!
I know how to create the symptoms now (red wine, hot chili, high fat 'cheat' meals like the vegan laksa I had a couple of weeks ago) so it's only myself to blame in those cases :oops:

I will update again after finishing the antibiotic for my finger, because that also does bring on a bit of heartburn.

Hope this gives hope to others who got terrified like I did, reading on the internet that reflux is a progressive disease and therefore inescapably gets progressively worse. There IS hope :!:
Crossing fingers also that like me you will all 'keep on keeping on' with the healthiest diet on the planet :)
astirle

Postby astirle » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Forgot to add esqua maybe you could try my trick of apple cider vinegar (1 tsp in a glass of water). Use a good unfiltered one like Braggs ('with the mother').
Not sure if this increases low stomach acid but it sure helps me :)
astirle

Postby eshqua » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:34 am

Yes! I need to start doing the diluted apple cider vinegar drink. It's so weird though that I have no trouble at all unless I drink my smoothie on an empty stomach which I rarely, rarely do. But I'll try the drink because there is no downside and Is only a positive for health. I'll keep checking here and see how you're doing!
eshqua

Postby astirle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:17 am

Not posted in a month..goodness me. But I have been on track and things are great.

Yet more good things to report. Had blood pressure checked, 106 / 76 how great is that?? Optimal according to google.Yes!!

Plus before starting this vegetable fest I used to get regular bladder infections.
A total curse, but have not had the slightest sign in over a year.
After listening to a Dr Greger video about body alkalinity I got out the urine test strips I had and did a test.
The reading was 8!! That is alkaline and very different from readings before I started eating this way.
I think this may be the reason the infections have stayed away, as some like acid environments.

So pleased I found this diet that improves everything..thank you so much John McDougall.
astirle

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:42 pm

Thanks for stopping by and posting on my journal! I, too, will be glad to be on the other side of tom! I haven't ever really dealt with hot flashes, but went through a long spell of night sweats that stopped when I adopted this eating style. There are so many benefits that have caught me off guard eating this way. So thankful to have found out about it now instead of later. Have a great week!

~Shari
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

Postby astirle » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:47 am

Thanks Shari :nod:
Like Riva's signature says..never ever give up!
astirle

Postby astirle » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:35 pm

This is a post I honestly never believed I would write, I have had nearly 2 weeks completely symptom free.
No heartburn at all!

Have not had to drink my teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in water either, although Greger recommends vinegars so its good to have sometimes.

Feeling great.
I even cancelled the endoscopy - maybe I will come back to it next year but at the moment I feel - why bother?
I don't want to be taking any medications or getting involved with the 'medical business' as Dr McD puts it.
It is challenging to eat so differently from the rest of society but for me the results are worth it.
People with allergies avoid certain foods so that they don't get sick, and so do I!
This way of eating really helps my general mood also, I feel less 'extreme' somehow.
astirle

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals