Maybe a baby in 2017

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Maybe a baby in 2017

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:55 am

Hi all.

This year is *hopefully* the year of the baby for me. I've got two kiddos already, 2 and 4, both surprises, so I've never actually planned a pregnancy.

I started my plant-based, SOS-free journey on June 6th, 2016. I've been vegetarian for 19 years, and have dabbled in veganism a couple times. Vanity got me back to WFPB after I struggled with losing the last five pounds of baby weight, and feeling great has kept me motivated. After reading Forks over Knives Family, I've decided to work towards a fully plant-based pregnancy with no supplements unless medically warranted (read the book for more information if you'd like to know more about this).

My first birth was a natural delivery in hospital, and my second child was delivered at home with a midwife. I'm planning on having another home birth this time as well. We haven't started trying for a baby yet, and have a few more ducks we'd like to get in a row first, but will probably take a "let's see what happens" approach sometime this spring.

THIS JOURNAL WILL PROBABLY HAVE A LOT OF PREGNANCY RELATED TMI, SO QUIT READING IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THAT KIND OF STUFF.

Also, I'm a pretty open book, so if you have a question, feel free to ask.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Maybe a baby in 2017

Postby pregofit » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Looking forward to reading your posts! Vanity is a great motivator for sure lol
pregofit

Postby Trinity » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:50 pm

Good luck!
Last edited by Trinity on Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trinity

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi Trinity and Pregofit! It's nice to have the community of this forum.

We had a constant light dusting of snow all day that caused the roads to stay wet and icy. The two kiddos were at grandma's house about 40 minutes away, and due to the amount of accidents on the roadways they are having an impromptu spend-the-night. This is the second time my husband and I have had a night without children IN FOUR AND A HALF YEARS.

So, date night it is! Made sure to keep it vegan, but being restaurant food it was extremely rich and salty. Had chips and guac, a margarita, and sweet potato, quinoa & kale tacos. It was delicious, but left me looking forward to my morning oatmeal weirdly enough.

Usually if I go "off plan" then I start craving all sorts of crazy stuff the next day. In order to "scratch that itch," so to speak, but also stick with my dietary goals, I make a chocolate smoothie.

CHOCOLATE SMOOTHIE
1 cup unsweetened vanilla non-dairy milk
2 frozen bananas
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp peanut butter

Blend and enjoy. Don't like chocolate? Simply omit - it's still delicious.

Spoke to my midwife on the phone yesterday just to touch base since it had been over two years since I'd seen her last. She didn't really have anything new I needed to know since I've done this before. She's a big proponent of supplements, and I didn't have the guts to tell her I was planning on minimizing my use of them unless warranted (side note: I did take an iron supplement due to low iron last pregnancy, and a liquid calcium-magnesium to help with excessive Braxton-Hicks). I'll probably just touch base with her about it at our first visit. She has a very strong personality, and I don't like confrontation.

Best to you all! Touch base again soon.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:11 pm

Today I took pictures of all the food I ate, but they are on my iPhone and I am writing this on my iPad. It was really interesting to actually see the amount of food I've eaten. We really do get to eat a lot! I've finally gotten it figured out how much food to pack when I go to work, and it's hard to find a lunch box that's the right size. I just picked up a new one last week, but my lunch containers don't fit in it, go figure.

WHAT I ATE TODAY:
Beverage: green tea
Breakfast/first meal: oatmeal with mixed berries and bananas
Lunch/second meal: leftover one-pot pasta with broccoli, mushrooms and white beans
Snack/ third meal: taco potatoes (black beans, corn, salsa and avocado on potatoes)
Dinner/fourth meal: romaine, radicchio, cucumber and bell pepper with homemade SOS-free balsamic and toasted slivered almonds (I ate two salads. It was really good.)
Late night snack/fifth meal: baked fries and homemade ketchup, and a cup of herbal tea

HOMEMADE BALSAMIC DRESSING:
1/2 c. Cashews
1/2 c. Water
1/4 c. Balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard

Combine ingredients and let sit for 15 min. Blend in blender. Enjoy!
Next time I might add 1 tbsp raisins to bump up the sweetness.

I was extra hungry because of the decadent dinner out the night before. Struggled with my commitment to SOS-free eating the whole drive home from work, but fortunately took a step back from myself and got my head on straight before I parked the car. I think I need a different toothpaste, because I use baking soda and I think it's keeping my taste buds too used to salt, for lack of better phrasing.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:12 pm

Today I met with another fellow McDougler, Spiral. We are going to start a local meet-up. If you're in the Indianapolis area and would like to join, send me a message!

I tried making smoky pecan fakin' bacon bits today. It's a work in progress.

I made my new favorite salad TWICE. I took a picture, but can't figure out how to insert it.

Best to you all!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:57 am

Well, looks like this is turning into more of a food journal than a baby journal. I guess when the focus is on nutrition, that is to be expected.

Today for lunch I made the Asian Vegetable Noodle toss from the new book The Healthiest Diet on the Planet. Recipe page 173, and photo page 175. I used broccoli and sugar snap peas as the veggies since that is what I had on hand. It was delicious, but has way more sodium than I've been eating lately, so I'll probably spend this afternoon guzzling water. My two year old loved it and gobbled it up.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:00 am

Oh man, salt and I are not friends. After overindulging at yesterday's lunch, I woke up with bags under my eyes. Ugh.

Let me admit to a little secret: I love fake bacon bits. LOVE them. Those little salty morsels of Red No. 40 and disodium inosinate add such a delightful smoky crunch to salads. Problem is, I no longer eat ANYTHING on the ingredient list. Are they vegetarian? Yes. Vegan even? Yup! But whole food? No way. So I had an idea to make my own, and it kinda worked. It's not nearly as salty as the store bought ones, and add another flavor dynamic to your salad.

FAKE BACON PIECES (aka Salty Smoky Nut Bits)
1 c Pecan Pieces
2 tbsp Liquid Smoke
1 tbsp Reduced Salt Soy Sauce

Combine ingredients. Lightly toast the coated nuts in a skillet over low heat. Let cool and enjoy.

Next time I might either use regular soy sauce (I have reall authentic stuff from the international grocery store still) or add salt to pump up the saltiness. The ones from the store have 180 mg (8%) PER TABLESPOON. It's insane.

But then again, it's kinda perfect as is.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:57 am

Let me tell you about the black eyed peas.

I saw a package of fresh black eyed peas a couple days after Christmas at the grocery store. It was a couple bucks, and I was going to be making a couple with cabbage on New Years Day, so I went ahead and picked them up, because the stores inevitably run out.

Cut to New Years Day. Soup is on the stove, simmering away. All the ingredients are in the pot. Last thing to toss in is the peas. Just before doing so, I realized that I should double check and make sure there is no added sodium.

I am so glad I looked. Not only was there added sodium, there was also four different artificial preservatives and three different artificial colors. I was so mad. In to the garbage it went.

Finally yesterday I got to cook my black eyed peas. I made a batch of Hoppin' John for friends that came over for lunch. All three children ate it, in addition to the adults, and loved it.

HOPPIN' JOHN
3/4 c dried black eyed peas
1 onion, chopped fine
1 green bell pepper, chopped fine
2 celery stalks, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 bay leaf
21 seasoning salute (from Trader Joe's)
Hot sauce for serving (recommended: Trader Joe's Chili Pepper Sauce)

1) I cooked my black eyed peas in my instant pot for 25 minutes.
2) While the peas are cooking, chop vegetables. Water saute onion, bell pepper and celery until just softening. Add garlic and saute for 1 min.
3) Add peas and a little cooking liquid. Add 21 seasoning salute to taste and bay leaf. Simmer.
4) Serve over brown long grain rice, with hot sauce on the side.

I tried the Trader Joe's Chili Pepper Sauce for the first time. It was awesome. The side of the bottle has a graphic indicating that the sauce is fairly hot, but I didn't find it so. What's great about the sauce, besides being delicious, is that it is no sodium. Yum!

Also, since I am typing this while I eat breakfast, here is my oatmeal recipe. It's what I've been eating this winter. I used to wonder how on earth a person could eat oatmeal without sugar. Seriously, wouldn't it taste like mushy cardboard? Fortunately, no. It's delicious, bursting with fruit in every spoonful.

MIXED BERRY OATMEAL
1/2 c old fashioned oats
1 c water
1 tbsp ground flax
1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
Sliced bananas, for topping

Combine oats and water in a small saucepan. Cook stovetop over medium-low heat. When oatmeal is done cooking, mix in ground flax, then mix in frozen fruit. Keep on the heat until the berries are warmed through. Serve with banana sliced on top. So good!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:46 pm

I work part-time, just three days a week. Four days in a row, I am home with the kids, then for three days I get to earn an income while hanging out with adults. It's a pretty nice arrangement overall, but I have to make sure that on those days I'm home I get all the household tasks attended to, any cooking, cleaning or laundry that needs to be addressed, because on those days I'm working, it's just survival mode.

Today was the last day at home. Took the cat to the vet this morning. She's old, and it shows. She has glacoma in one eye, and it probably needs to be removed. On top of that, we're waiting on blood work to confirm what looks like symptoms of renal failure. It was a giant bummer of an appointment. I got my cat when I was 19, my freshman year of college in San Francisco. She's been with me through a lot, multiple apartments, countless adventures, too many bad dates, and eventually two pregnancies. She's been sat on, had her tail pulled, hugged too tight and chased screaming around the house by small children, yet still had the patience to let them grow up and learn how to scratch behind her ears just right. Oh man, I am tearing up.

When we got home, there was plenty to distract me. Friends came over for a play date, which also gave me the time to prep dinner. I made my version of the Engine 2 Raise the Roof Lasagne, which is a feat inandof itself. It's doable if you're hanging around the house all afternoon, but trying to do it all at once is maddening. It's great, though, because it's delicious, works for a packed lunch or reheated for dinner.

SWEET POTATO LASAGNE
4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1 inch thick
1 onion, diced
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
1 lb frozen spinach, thawed and drained
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 can NSA cannellini beans (or 3/4 c dried)
12 no boil lasagne noodles
1 jar SOS-free sauce (I like the one from Trader Joe's)
Tomato slices, optional

1) Boil sweet potatoes. When done, pour off liquid and reserve for another use*. Mash potatoes.
2) Water saute onion, mushrooms, spinach and Italian seasoning. Add garlic for last minute of cooking.
3) If using dried beans, I hope you have an Instant Pot. Manual for 30 minutes. You probably should have done this first, actually.
4) When first three steps are complete, it's time to layer your lasagne. Sauce in bottom, then noodles, half of sweet potatoes, veggie mixture, and beans. Top with noodles then sauce. Repeat remaining sweet potatoes, veggie mix and beans. Top with the last of noodles and sauce. Place tomato slices on top, if using.
5) Bake in hot oven for a while. I usually wing it.

*Save your cooking water to water your plants. Wait until it cools, of course. My houseplants have never looked so good!

I ate this HUGE amount of Trader Joe's cruciferous crunch at lunch, that was totally overloaded with rich dressing and nuts, so I didn't get hungry all afternoon. I was craving a much lighter salad for dinner and came up with a nice zippy mustard dressing to give the veggies a little pep.

ZIPPY MUSTARD DRESSING
1/2 c cashews
1/2 c water
2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp raisins

Combine and let mingle for 15+ min. Blend and enjoy.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:04 am

Sunday morning I sat down to type. I wrote a long, long post full of all sorts of thoughts, then went to insert a link and lost the whole thing. When things like that happen, sometimes you just have to walk away and come back to it the another day, which I did and so here I am.

Last night my husband's grandmother died. She was 92. Her left leg, below the knee, began to turn purple and cause severe pain about a month ago, and the nursing home did nothing about it for weeks, providing her only with Tylenol. The family finally got her into a doctor, but it was too late. A blood clot had formed, which had cut off all blood supply, and the leg was gone. Because of the state of grandma's health, and her level of dementia, they were concerned that she would not be able to survive surgery, or mentally deal with the consequences of becoming an amputee should she pull through. She's been on hospice care with very heavy pain management while gangrene, then sepsis, set in. The nursing home has been reported for the neglect, which ultimately resulted in her death.

So, my husband's mom has been holding vigil, and crashing on our couch for a few nights since we live blocks away from the hospital. It's been a little stressful.

In better news, last week I heard about the PussyHat Project, knitting pink cat hats for the Women's March on Washington. As soon as I could, I ran over to the knit shop and picked up two skeins of yarn. I wanted one for myself to wear here in solidarity with the ladies in D.C., and then my two girls wanted ones as well, then I found out my sister is hoping on a bus from NYC and going! So, knitting four hats in a weeks time has eaten up most of my free time.

On food news, today I'm trying out the Vegan Chia Oatmeal from Oh She Glows, blog that focuses on faux healthy vegan eating. I say "faux" because the blogger still uses salt, sugar and oil, and also uses a lot of the latest superfoods, which gives the appearance of healthy but is really just misleading.

Recipe: http://ohsheglows.com/2015/07/22/vegan-overnight-oats/

The recipe is alright, but really needs some tweaking. In the summer I usually make a meusli with banana milk, and this is very similar.

I also made hummus this morning. The recipe I use is modeled after the Cook's Illustrated Restraurant Style Hummus, minus the salt and oil. Their recipe calls for 2 tbsp olive oil and 6 tbsp tahini, so it is insanely rich. Delicious, true, but my hummus should not have the utritional profile of dessert.

The order of the ingredients is what gives this hummus it's smooth texture. Some tahini is used for richness and flavor, since I'm not doing MWL and my kiddos need the calories.

MY HUMMUS
3/4 c dried chickpeas
1/2 c chickpea cooking liquid, divided
1/4 c lemon juice
3 tbsp tahini
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Dash smoked paprika
Pinch cayenne

1. Cook chickpeas in ample water in Instant Pot for 40 min (or preferred cooking method).
2. Drain chickpeas, reserving 1/2 c cooking liquid. Purée chickpeas, and spices in food processor of blender until smooth.
3. Combine 1/4 c cooking water and 1/4 c lemon juice. Pour into machine while running to blend with chickpeas.
4. Combine tahini with 2 tbsp cooking water. Pour into machine while running to blend. Add remaining cooking water if needed to achieve desired consistency.

We're off to see friends over an hour away. Bringing this hummus with veggies and low salt wheat thins for snacks. Have a super day!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:06 am

IN BABY RELATED NEWS, I set up my appointment to have my IUD removed. It's 6 weeks out, and might have to be changed, but it's set up!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:15 pm

We had grandma's funeral today. This might sound a little vain to talk about clothing, but I feel this relates to the McDougall program. I have a black dress that I always wear to funerals. Last time I pulled it out of the closet I was stuffed into it like a sausage. It fit today, which was nice to be able to breath and sit comfortably for services. I really appreciate not having to buy new clothing for rare events because I've "outgrown" them.

Grandma's house is near an old drive-in called Mug 'n' Bun, which is known for their homemade root beer, so everyone met up for lunch to reminisce and eat some old favorites. It was a good opportunity to practice skipping a meal, since the only things on the menu not deep fried were coleslaw and chef's salad. Fortunately, trying to keep two kids occupied in a restaurant with slow service helps distract from the not eating. I always worry that someone will make a comment about not having anything, but fortunately with a table of 12, five of which were children, there is just too much chaos for anyone to notice.

After we left, we stopped by The Tamale Place to get a tamale for me to take home. I remember them being mind-blowing, but upon first bite I realized that my tastes have changed too much. I ate it, but immediately had a salad afterwards because I just needed some greens to balance it all out. I'll have to make my own tamales. If anyone out ther has a recommended recipe, please share!

Speaking of recipes, I ran out of my homemade ketchup yesterday. I have to different recipes. My favorite takes 3 hours, includes making a bouquet garni and simmering until reduced by half, and is so delicious. Sometimes, though, I don't have the time. Cathy Fisher has a ketchup recipe that inspired me to come up with this. I'm still trying to work out the spice mix, but the framework is solid.

QUICKIE KETCHUP
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1/2 c apple sauce
6 oz water
Spices (cinnamon, allspice, black pepper, cayenne, etc)

Put tomato paste and apple sauce in a bowl. Use the empty can to measure the water. Add desired spices and mix. Flavor is best if left to chill for a few hours before using.

Also, Cathy Fisher's cookbook Straight Up Food is the best cookbook I've ever owned. It's amazing.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:51 pm

It's Wednesday again! Did a trip to the grocery this morning to get stocked up on some essentials before my three days at work.

I've been trying to eat a salad every day. I purchased a package of artisan lettuces and a pack of romaine hearts. I've been chopping up a head of romaine and mixing it with chopped fancy lettuce and keeping it already prepped in the fridge. It stores well and keeps salad interesting with the different types of lettuces that can be added to the romaine. I'm not a fan of those spring mixes, and this tastes better, keeps longer and costs less.

For breakfast I'm trying out steel cut oats. I prefer old fashioned oats, but I think the reason that breakfast is not sticking with me for very long is the fact that the oats are not "whole." Not terribly processed, for sure, but steel cut is less altered. Tried making them stovetop, but that took FOREVER. Used the Instant Pot this morning, and that seems to be the key to success. Made them with apples, rainins and cinnamon, manual for 10 minutes. Tonight I'm going to preset so that the oats are ready when I walk up, manual for 13 minutes. Going to try out plain oats topped with fresh blueberries and banana slices. Maybe stir in some ground flax? We'll see.

I'm making farro risotto with radicchio and fennel for dinner tonight. It's a Cooked Illustrated recipe, minus the oil, cheese and salt. It's pretty bland without the salt, but a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and chopped walnuts on top help jazz it up. The leftovers will be nice for lunch.

I'm going to have to move my IUD removal appointment. Our new house is being renovated, and we won't be moving until mid-March, and I don't want there to be a possibility of pregnancy while dealing with all that. It's an old 1880's two-story shotgun. Outside was just painted, cedar shingles are going up today and tomorrow. Next is duct work, electrical, plumbing, insulation, drywall, painting, then floors. We might have to move in without a complete kitchen, but I'm ok with that as long as I have a sink and my instant pot.

I've been looking into making a few raised beds to garden. It's a good time to try growing my own potatoes! Tomatoes, of course, and basil, spinach, zucchini, cucumbers, lettuces, kale, nasturtium and marigolds. My mind is definitely dreaming of warmer weather.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:24 am

I must admit, I'm not 100% compliant. While I have some guidelines, they are just that, guidelines. At home, I can easily eat whole foods, plant-based, SOS-free, because I have complete control over my food. Out in the world, though, sometimes I choose to just get along. With more frequency, though, I'm not enjoying those "indulgences," but instead find myself wishing I could just chow down on some oil-free fries.

This week I ended up eating out twice, which is unusual. First was for my husband's birthday at his favorite local eatery. I had some oily salad, deep fried yucca, and a surprisingly amazing vegan green chili and hominy stew. All that grease led to a greasy face the next day, of course. Then Friday night we had a date night and ended up at a Mexican joint. Chips and salsa totally happened, with beans, rice and quac in corn tortillas for an entrée. I should have skipped the chips, because I was pretty full before dinner even happened. It was definitely mindless eating and crunching. The salt was way too much, and I still feel like I'm retaining water from it, and that was two days ago.

It's good to have these lessons reinforced. Today we have another birthday lunch at Cracker Barrell. I'm not even going to bother trying to find something to eat there, so pre-eating is the plan for today. The one hard and fast rule for eating is NO ANIMAL PRODUCTS EVER. That is a slippery slope I'll have trouble with. I can eat a some oil, or salt, and the next meal be back on plan, but cheese hurts my stomach too much, and I have trouble with portion control.

I've been eating more beans the past week, too. Folate is one of those nutrients that is super important for a healthy pregnancy. Beans are great because they not only are chock full of folate, but also fiber and iron, which are essential nutrients as well. From what I've come across, one cup of beans a day is probably sufficient, when part of a plant-based diet.

Today I've got a few things on the docket to cook. Stovetop right now is my homemade ketchup. It takes a while to simmer, but is so worth it. I'll also be making a batch of chili to share with a friend who had her second baby, and my steel cut oats are cooking for breakfast as I type as well.

STEEL CUT OATS
1/3 c steel cut oats
1 c water

Love my instant pot! I've been putting the water and oats in it the night before, then plugging it in first thing when I get up. Set it Manual for 13 minutes and let it do the work while you get ready in the morning. Top as desired - I've been doing fresh blueberries and banana slices.

About this ketchup - I really can't take much credit for this. It's an America's Test Kitchen recipe that I altered to fit my diet. It's really the best ketchup you'll ever have!

BEST KETCHUP EVER
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp allspice berries
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
2 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes*
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
8 dates, pitted
1/2 c cider vinegar

1. Bundle bay leaves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, mustard seeds and allspice berries in a small piece of cheesecloth and tie with kitchen twine to secure, leaving about five inches of extra twine on one end.
2. In a large saucepan, add whole tomatoes, breaking them up by hand. Add tomato paste, cayenne, onion, dates and vinegar. Secure spice packet to the handle of the saucepan with the long section of twine and submerge.
3. Simmer mixture over medium low heat, stirring occasionally (be mindful not to burn the bottom), until dark read and reduced by half, about 5-6 cups.
4. Discard spice packet. Transfer ketchup to blender and purée until smooth. Poor into storage containers and refrigerate.

Stays fresh for up to 6 weeks. I haven't had a batch show signs of mold yet, but it hasn't lasted longer than 6 weeks either!

*recommended brand: Bionaturae Organic Whole Peel Tomatoes No Salt Added (it's BPA-free, too!)
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals