Tilda's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Tilda's Journal

Postby kkrichar » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi Tilda. I feel your pain with bread. It's so delicious. I do have some occasionally (and pasta) but those are things I can easily over-consume. I don't even have peanut butter in my house because I'll eat it with a spoon right out of the jar. My weight does not want to go anywhere if I include flour products with regularity. So, like you, I'm trying to find starches that fill me up so I don't have cravings but allow me to lose weight. Mashed potatoes work well for me and so does stir fry (with rice). Those are for sure my main go-to items that still allow me to lose weight. Don't let my "0" pounds weight loss on my ticker take away all my credibility. I just started back up last week and will weigh-in tomorrow for the first time since coming back. When I was here before I lost 80 pounds. I wish I hadn't stopped following the plan but, oh well, it is what it is. I know this works and it can work again if I do what I did before.

Glad your here!

Kelly

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby Tilda » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:16 am

Kelly, thanks for your quick response to my frustration thread... It's great to read that my struggles with bread are familiar to you...., but what's REALLY great: YOU LOST 80 lbs??? That's amazing! Do you know why you stopped following the plan? And did you return to nimal products or "just" vegan junkfood...? Did you gain much weight?

Like you, potatoes work for me - I think - everything else (bread, rice, bulgur) has lead to overeating...

I wish you good luck for your re-start and the transition! I'd love to hear from you again, Tilda
Tilda

Postby kkrichar » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi Tilda. I think you can see the link to my journal in my signature now (just tried adding it so let me know if it doesn't work). I've got my history and my most recent slip described a little there. Mainly, this last time, I started dating again. I was overly worried I would turn people off if I told them about my food issues and make it too difficult to go to restaurants. So I started making exceptions (just oil at first) when on dates. It didn't really take long before my old cravings (sweets and non-plant-based) came back. I never made the decision to stop following McDougall. It has been my intention for the last 2 years to get back on the program 100%. I just couldn't seem to do it. So, much of the time, I've remained no oil and starched-based, but with many many many exceptions. I gained about 25 pounds and that happened mostly within the first 6 months or so of my current relationship (I'm engaged now). The last year and half has been repeated unsuccessful attempts to lose the weight. I'm 10 days in this go-round and that's the longest stretch of 100% compliance I've had in 2 years. I've lost 1 pound. I think that's mainly because I'm super heavy starch (including pasta and bread) right now and I haven't been limiting my fruit in an effort to avoid cravings. Each week I plan to gently move closer to MWL as I gain more confidence. We just have to find the right blend of starches and veggies and fruits that keep us satisfied and allow us to easily maintain a healthy weight. I'm a high volume eater. I don't feel satisfied on small amounts of food. So it's really important for me to focus on low calorie dense foods. However, if I eat too low-cal I get cravings and binge. It's a learning curve but I'll get there as long as I stay within the guidelines of Dr. McDougall and don't let myself feel defeated by slow (or no) weight loss during the early/experimental stages.

We can do this if we stay the course and adjust as we learn!

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby Starch Chick » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi Tilda
Hope all is going well..
Beth
.....Beth
"It's the food" - Dr McDougall
Starch Chick

Postby Tilda » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:47 am

Hey guys, sorry for beeing silent for a while - it's just too busy araound here...

Nutrition-wise I'm now almost 6-week-plant-based, mostly starch-based rarely MWL, but oil-free..., my weight still stays around 92-93kg...

On one hand I'm really proud to have successfully made the change and now don't even think about not eating plant-based anymore - so that's really a big deal for me..., also, my "binge eating bahvior" is now reduced to "only" binge on peanut-butter an jelly sandwiches..., no craving for really "bad" things... I did not measure blood glucose lately, but I will start again as soon as the batteries arrive, :P

On the other hand it's really frustrating to NOT LOSE weight a littly more efficiently. I know that it's probably due to too much bread and nut butter, avodacos etc. - but I thouht being starch-based oil-free would make me feel a little lighter a little faster... - also I'm still waiting for the famous energy boost..., but the opposite is true - no energy and really bad skin problems right now...

Anyhow..., I'll keep you posted..., and maybe someday I will make it through a couple of MWL days and the weight will drop....

Kind regards to all of you! Tilda
Tilda

Postby Tilda » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:20 am

Hey there, I officially completed my sixth week yesterday..., :mrgreen:

My weiht is at 92.5kg this morning - no surprises there..., haha...

Still, so many things improved over the past weeks..., most important af all, my eating behavior has stabalized..., that's more tha I thought possible - and for sure, I have never spent 6 weeks in my adult life eating so reasonably...

I made two decisions:

- I will try to aim for some weight loss next week leaving out bread, flour products, nuts, and nut butters and drinking lots of tea and water

- I will check my HbA1c and cholestrol levels at the end of the week

I forgot to mention one more achievement: I quit drinking diet coke.

I'll keep you posted, kind regards, Tilda
Tilda

Postby Tilda » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:04 pm

So, today is day 1 of my bread-and-nut-free week...!

Weight 93.0kg
B - carrot cake over night oats

Let's see how it goes!
Tilda

Postby Tilda » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:18 pm

Hey there,

I'm really frustrated right now - I got my lab results back...., they are not quite what I hoped for...

Total cholesterol: 231 (before 215)
HDL: 58 (before 59)
HbA1C: 5.7 (before 5.9)

So, these are not fasting values, but it should not make a difference for these parameters....
The before values are from last year, approx. 11 months back..., so basically, not much change at all...

For me, there are only two possible explanations: either, my values from 6 weeks ago must have been much worse, but I missed to measure/document them... Or, this WOE does not work for me.

As I said, for the past six weeks, I did not count calories but was very compliant in terms of: no animal products, no oil, little sugar, no junk foods/processed foods.

I think I might need help with this.......
Tilda

Postby hope101 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Tilda, HbA1C is not influenced by the fasting state (and of note is mildly improved), but total cholesterol and HDL absolutely are, as are LDL and TGs. Your numbers are not great, but they aren't really accurate. In the future, do your best to fast 12 hours before.

You are making steady progress in adjusting your diet. Don't give up now. As you figure it out, you'll find your weight and your blood lipids responding for sure. Also, as you begin to break down your own fat, thus effectively metabolizing a high fat diet, it's not uncommon for the blood lipids to temporarily worsen. Meanwhile, you should start to get more energy and notice your clothes are becoming bigger.

I notice you're working to give up breads and nut butters, which is excellent. (And you're off the diet coke and the animal products. And having more stable eating patterns. Woot. You need to give yourself credit for all the major changes you've already adopted.)

If you'd like some resources on places I find inspiration and/or material on how to tweak the diet further, here are a few:

For real life examplars who've documented their journey, so you can see how their body and energy responded as they progressively improved what they ate:

*Geo's Journal: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27969

*Amy's Journal: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36241

For Jeff's simplified explanation of the Maximum Weight Loss Plan: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=54740&start=90#p557242 (The stickies at the top of Jeff's forum have a ton of information.)

To see what the food table looks like at a McDougall live-in program, so you can see how they sequence the food from the least calorie dense to the most, thus following Jeff's listed principles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2e_6_-rofE

Lastly, watch pretty much anything Dr. Doug Lisle has taped. You could start here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdqLB6bTuQ

Hope that helps!

IMHO
hope101

Postby Franchesca_S. » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:36 am

Hi Tilda,
I was just re-reading some of the early posts here. I was steadily tripped up by bread. At first I tried to analyze it, was it too refined, was there oil, etc? Finally learned that it didn't matter, it just undermined what I was doing and I'm better off without it.
I can keep corn tortillas in the house without feeling the need to eat half the package so now they take the place of bread.
keep up the good work,
Franchesca
Franchesca_S.

Postby Tilda » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:09 am

Hope and Franchesca! thanks so much for your words, all the information and your personal experience - it's so good to get direct feeback from you! And knowing that you've been to similar phases is really helping! I did not yet have the time to actually read all the linked site, but I will!!

So, I'm not thinking about giving up AT ALL..., I still feel a little frustrated, but I became aware that indeed so much has changed for the better - I'ld be crazy to give this up right now.

Yet, I startet with some "MWL" days - just to get the feeling of being back in control over my weight - this morning I was at 92.3kg hoping to break the 92 mark someday (soon)..., :P

And, I will definitely check my blood results in 4 or 6 weeks - this time doing the 12 hour fast before - we will see...

Since this is a journal I will post my meals from yesterday and today:

B: Banana raspberry smoothie
L: steamed spinach with lentil-tomatoe-salad
D: more lentil-tomatoe-salad

B: Banana raspberry smoothie
L: steamed spinach with lentil-tomatoe-salad (perpared such a big bowl, but now it's done!)
D: big salad bowl with tomaoes, corn and kidney beans

Bye for now, Tilda
Tilda

Postby Tilda » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:27 am

Hello, my quick report for the day:

B - Banana-strawberry-raspberry smoothie
L - Large green salad with cherry tomatoes corn and kidney beans
D - Tomato-Salad with lentils and spring onions (my new favorite - it's so good with th chia seed balsamico mustard-dressing!)

And - tadaaa: my weight was at 91.7kg today, :mrgreen:
Tilda

Postby Tilda » Mon May 13, 2019 10:01 am

More than three years have passed since my last post - with a lot of trial and error in terms of eating healthy..., ended up with more weight than ever... - long story...

I reached 242 lbs......

I started McDougalling 16 days ago..., have lost 8 lbs so far - so 234lbs (106,2kg) as of today...

I hope to post more frequently in the future..., :)
Tilda

Postby midnight87 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:21 am

Good job getting back on track! I've been there too, taking weight off and then gaining it all back plus some bonus pounds. Keep going, I think these experiences make us stronger :)
midnight87

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals