Going for it

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Going for it

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Fri May 01, 2015 5:03 am

So I started McDougalling ( I love that term!) on Sunday.
Doing mostly the regular programme with a few MWL days.
Up to now I have had to get all my info online as my books have not arrived yet. How wonderful that all the information and tools we need are provided free online! :D
Even though I have never met Dr McDougall or Mary, they are clearly generous and caring people to do all that work and then make it all available freely to anyone who needs it.
Mainly I am wanting to lose weight and get relief from arthritis, gout, and high BP.
It still strange and wonderful to be eating the high-starch food I love, as they always get a bad rep for being fattening.
6 days in, 4kg down. Proof enough for me! :nod:
Reading other's journals and posts is very inspiring. Keep up the good work.
“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Re: Going for it

Postby sksamboots » Fri May 01, 2015 6:30 pm

Welcome! Glad you are here and I look forward to following your journey :nod:
sksamboots

Postby Mike » Fri May 01, 2015 10:43 pm

Great start!
Mike

Start: 13 Dec 2014, 126.9 kg
Target: XX XXX 2015/6, 73.1 kg (BMI = 21.75)
Current: 104.8 kg
Mike

Postby judynew » Sat May 02, 2015 8:48 am

Welcome, rhubarbtriangle

Excellent start! Also, your name has me craving rhubarb which is just starting to appear. One of the signs of spring!
judynew

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Sun May 03, 2015 2:44 am

Well, I forgot I was planning to weigh today until after I had eaten a large bowl of porridge and had a cup of tea. :duh:
Even so, I was 108kg which is 4 down for the week so I'm very happy with that.
Thanks for all your support.
My username comes from where I live in West Yorkshire which is fondly known as the rhubarb triangle - the triangle between Leeds, Bradford and Wakefield. You can see it growing all around and I'm told a lot goes to France where it is a delicacy. I'm rather fond of it myself.
Definitely counting this first week as a success. :D
Let's see how week 2 pans out! :-)
“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby sksamboots » Sun May 03, 2015 3:12 pm

Great job! :nod:
sksamboots

Postby go orange » Tue May 05, 2015 2:31 am

Congrats on the great start, and also nice to see another Brit on here :-)
go orange

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Tue May 05, 2015 3:15 am

go orange wrote:Congrats on the great start, and also nice to see another Brit on here :-)

Thanks.
I was wondering...do you have difficulty finding foods that our American friends take for granted? I like the look of some of Mary's recipes but have problems finding the ingredients.
What I did was make a 4 week meal plan, consisting of McDougallized versions of my favourite meals. That is helping me a lot. I know what to buy, I can plan ahead so I'm never in that 'starving and nothing ready to eat' frame of mind.
Funny, I planned 3 meals a day. Porridge or congee for breakfast, a lunch and then dinner. Now I have fallen into a routine of no breakfast, just an early lunch then dinner.
I do like evening snacks so i have been experimenting with oil-free crisps and roasted chickpeas. I also love veggie sticks with hummus or salsa.
My son and DIL came round yesterday and were not impressed with the plan as it goes against everything they have read. My son likes paleo and DIL is doing slimming world. I managed to reassure them by pointing out it is a lot like slimming world green days, but without the processed food, oil, or sugar, so actually healthier.
I'm not going to try and persuade them to try it. I hope to be so successful they will want to try it!
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby go orange » Tue May 05, 2015 3:34 am

Hi there,

Yes, there are a few items that are tough to find, and some that aren't over here at all.

Do you have any specific items you are having trouble finding? If I've stumbled across them, perhaps I could let you know of a few places?

I agree that this WoE seems strange to a lot of people, but it's always good to point to some information in times like these. Nutritionfacts.org is a good start, as well as here of course, as it uses science based studies to back up claims.
go orange

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Tue May 05, 2015 4:53 am

Two things I'd like to try are canned green chilies - to make enchilada sauce, and corn tortillas - can only find wheat. I like making tortillas, so if I could get the masa harina I could make some.
Otherwise, I usually find what I want at Leeds market. The veg is great there.
i'm planning a browse around the Asian stores in Bradford. I should get the chilies there!
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby go orange » Tue May 05, 2015 7:39 am

I'll PM you :)
go orange

Postby Greg63 » Wed May 06, 2015 3:21 am

*waves* from across the Channel :-D

Looks like you are off to a fabulous start! Wonderful! Glad to see some folks just starting, too!
Greg63

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Wed May 06, 2015 5:00 am

Greg63 wrote:*waves* from across the Channel :-D

Looks like you are off to a fabulous start! Wonderful! Glad to see some folks just starting, too!

Yes, I'm very pleased with how it's going.
I'm also trying out new recipes so that I won't be tempted to fall back on old favourites that caused the problems in the first place.
Many of the recommended recipes are south American or Tex-Mex, like rice and beans, black beans, enchiladas etc. Here in Yorkshire that is all very exotic foreign food! :lol:
Sometimes I cook things without really knowing how it's 'supposed' to taste!
Good thing all my favourite European dishes are easy to McDougallize. :D
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Fri May 08, 2015 4:25 am

Happy days! Week two draws to an end and another 2kg lost. :D
As I adjust to it, it's getting easier. The key is definitely planning ahead so that if I need something to snack on it's ready to go.
Funny thing, my tastebuds seems to be changing. Cooking without salt or oil does seem to make me more aware of how food tastes. Others on this forum have mentioned that, but I didn't think it would happen to me - or at least not so soon.
Difficult times are still evenings when I really want to snack even though I am not hungry. Crisps (chips) are my kryptonite - luckily I don't keep any in the house.
Also, I can't (won't) give up tea, although I have subbed herbal tea for most of the time.
Tomorrow I am on a training course and will be out of the house from 6am to about 7pm. :eek:
I plan on taking a packed lunch and snacks so I can stay on track. At least I know some of the others will do that too since the only convenient eatery is rather expensive and often very crowded at lunchtime.
So I shall keep on keeping on, and will try to work out what is going on with the evening snack cravings.
As always, I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts.
Keep it up! :-D
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby judynew » Fri May 08, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi, rhubarbtriangle

Congratulations on your progress and dedication. I actually find many of the ingredients are difficult to locate and I live in Canada. Just across a totally arbitrary line on a map :lol: One thing I would like to find, because I love potatoes, would be the fat free hash browns that appear to be available everywhere in the States. So far here in Canada - not so much.

The Asian markets are great sources and I have found a few things there. We'll just have to press on with what we've got.
judynew

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals