Journal of my journey

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Journal of my journey

Postby Morris » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:29 am

Oct 6, 2020

weight 139.9 -- used a different scale and forgot to weigh myself right away and had coffee first. But it is still under that 140 mark -- I am going to 128 but will use 135 as my short term goal. 135 is what my weight was as teenage and young adult weight. Before these major life stressors happened I was down to my ultimate goal. Kind of kicking myself for going back to eating junk.

Speaking of eating junk, I had to go to town yesterday to be with my dad at a doctor's appointment. I had to stop for a potty break on the way (I have an hour drive). I was looking at the candy aisle, having that dialogue in my head "I want... I don't need...". Then I saw it: M&M's put on their package "Emotional Support" -- That was when I walked out of the gas station empty handed.

Last night, I finally got around to setting my tent up again - to air it out after my hike. I decided to test out my cold weather sleeping bag. I slept out in the yard last night and stayed warm but had an extreme sleeping liner (claims to ad 25 degrees to sleep system and my Costco quilt, two pairs of socks and my feet stayed warm until morning. WHOO HOO! the weather forecast has a couple nice days coming up and if that backpacking site is free on Thursday morning - I am going to go camping one last time for this season. (I am too cheap to pay the reservation fee - no extra charge to reserve that day) If it is available, then it is meant to be - :nod:

I am starting my day with:
coffee
apple
spinach

??
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:54 am

Well done, walking away from the junk food! And kudos for sleeping out in your tent overnight...a very Morris thing to do!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby SilverDollar* » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:16 am

Wow you are a trooper! I live in NC & wouldn't think of doing that! Congrats!
I love reading your journals,I can relate 100%. Self care 1st. RAS
SilverDollar*

Postby Morris » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:41 am

October 7, 2020

weight --- wait for it---- 138.4 I had to step on and off several times -- same reading so I guess it's right.

Yesterday, we took a car in to get new tires. It was a 2 hour wait. We ate lunch at a restaurant that we could dine in. I ordered a hot turkey sandwich, with wheat bread and asked them to deconstruct it. I ate the 2 mounds of mashed potatoes, corn, bread and did not use all the gravy. (I cannot believe how much gravy they use) I took home the turkey and our kitten and dog loved the treat. Hubby was upset because I gave it to the animals. :nod:

Yesterday, I took down my tent and pack the backpack to get ready for camping tomorrow. I want to hike in to one that is on a beaver pond. I think it is situated so I can get a sunset and a sunrise over the water. Unless that has changed now that it is fall. So far the site is still open. If it is tomorrow, then I will reserve it and head out early so I can enjoy it. It is reserved for Friday, so I will head back home after breakfast and pack up. Friday will be the warmer of the day, but I can pack up, put my stuff in the car and still hike the trails. The only bummer is they closed the tower (100 foot tower) because of the virus and so I won't be able to view all the colors -- only what's on the ground.

I did a hike with my almost fully loaded pack and added an extra sleeping bag so more than half of the pack is my sleep system. I am excited to do this -- my first solo hike-in camping. I hope the bears are hibernating :unibrow: I did my hike about 6:30 and I am surprised at how quickly it gets dark in the fall - once that sun goes down darkness sets in. I was hearing critters in the woods, but it was the eyes shining back at me that caused my imagination to work harder. Just a deer -- at least that is what I am hoping it was.

Our one apple tree produced so much fruit that I am attempting to eat an apple a day. Plus we have a lot of zucchini -- the seed we purchased was mislabeled and we ended up with a lot of zucchini. I am going to make some zucchini apple crisp and dehydrate it for longer storage (and a camping treat). And I'll shred some and freeze it to use for future pancake, bread and muffins.

Today, I plan to eat:
coffee
spinach
apple

curried squash, carrot, apple and red lentil soup
zucchini apple muffin
salad
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:31 am

October 10, 2020
weight 138.6

I am hoping to be getting back on track again and eating what is good for my body. I am still struggling with night time snacking, but if I do snack, I just need to make wise choices.

The nursing home where my dad is has an increase in positive cases of C-19, residents and staff. With the staff positives, that means everyone was exposed, even in the apartments. This means visiting has stopped for now.

I did my solo backpacking camping trip -- I wish I could have stayed another night, but the park was showing all sites were reserved for the weekend. I even drove through the regular campground and for being all booked there sure were a lot of empty spaces. But then, I drove through about 4 o'clock and that is check-in time.

Hike in was about 1.25 miles in and the terrain was up and down. I way over packed (preparing to be cold) because I chose to go on most likely the last super warm night for the season. I packed a foam pad, air pad, cold weather sleeping bag, extreme temp liner, costco quilt and an x-lite sleeping bag. I used all but the x-lite sleeping bag and was just right. So I am guessing I am a cold sleeper, meaning I get cold easily at night.

The colors were at peak at the park. The site I chose was not as pretty as I remember it being. It was next to a beaver pond and there were a lot of dead trees in the middle of it. But, for a backpack site it was a good choice. It was so quite, until the sun went down and the mice came out -- for such little creatures they sure are loud running through the brush. I have learned from experience that the littlest creatures make the loudest noise.

I hiked quite a bit, but it was mostly back and forth to the car and the campsite. I hiked all in, then went back for wood -- it was not necessary because it was warm enough, but I choose to have a campfire in the morning to take the chill out of the air. But Friday, turned out to be t-shirt weather, I did not even need long sleeves. I was going to go for a hike, but while packing up my gear, I decided to hike out with half my gear, just to make it easier on my body. Going out was all uphill and I was like, "who put this hill here, I don't even remember going down hill hiking in to the site". But then, I was only thinking of all the weight on my back.

I enjoyed myself and am back home now. Back to the daily frustrations of home life.

Today I plan to eat:
coffee
watermelon
spinach and apple salad

squash carrot soup
zucchini muffin
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:31 am

October 14, 2020

weight 141.6 - up, but then I ended up eating out twice and I binged on salted nut rolls -- they were on sale and in the past, whenever I shopped at that particular store, I always bought some. One time I bought so many, I ended up hiding them in my cupboard and found them months later. Reason for saying that is -- out of sight is out of mind. I should have not bought them, but I did and I slipped up and now I need to deal with the aftermath.

Things learned -- think of the aftermath BEFORE I create that slip-up. And I really need to keep my WHY in the forefront of my mind and when I face temptation, I need to have reason louder in my head than the voice that says "I gotta have it." I have done it before and I can do it again.

I am slowly getting back on track - rereading my Beck Diet Solution pink book and focusing on getting my thinking about this WOE and my health as priority.

Ay advantages:
1. To make this WOE (way of eating: whole food plant based) a higher priority than pleasing others or to satisfy a momentary desire.
2. To learn to accept the restrictions I impose on myself in order to reap the reward of better health, especially as I get older.
3. To have faith in my ability to make good choices decisions about what, when and how much to eat --- and to follow through with those decisions.

Yesterday I ate:
coffee
delicata squash, tri-grain flakes and mixed berries

ramen noodles (without packet) and peas
salad topped with guacamole

salted nut rolls -- almost embarrassed about how many ~ almost :o

Taco bell - bean burrito fresco style with extra onion, tomato and lettuce

tootsie rolls -- Neal Barnard has a recipe for tootsie rolls in one of his books - I need to switch to healthier version.

Grandson 2 is coming today and tomorrow Grandson 1 will visit. -- need to make kid friendly meals:
Lentil "shepherd's" Pie
Lentil sloppy joes
Baked beans
Baked potato wedges
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:55 am

October 16, 2020
weight - did not weigh this morning

GS1 and GS2 are here one leaves today and the other tomorrow. The are less than 2 years apart in age and they are buddies. Since GS1 moved they do not get together often and when they do, it is often at Grandma's house.

GS1 has dietary issues so my meal plan switched at bit. Yesterday, I had to use up some of the apples I made so I made an apple pie and a lot of apple pie filling. Plus I baked some squash - apples and squash - yummy!

For my meal yesterday I had: apples, squash, baked potato and beets -- nice starchy meal

I am thinking it will be pretty much the same for today.

Exercise: I got off my butt and started to do the couch to 5k plan again. I am using Robert Ullrey's podcasts, he added music and the cues for run and walk. I am on week one day 3 --- I have to chuckle at his choice of music, after the second run he has a song that the words are: Leave me alone, leave me alone --- ha ha, just starting up again, my sentiments exactly! :lol:

http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

Plus, I am using the recumbent bike and adding in some strength training.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:26 am

Oct 19, 2020
weight 141. ? -- I don't know exactly, my scale needs new batteries but I feel it being up. I am thinking that when it dropped below 140 that it was a fluke because I was not eating much and was busy outside.

I am working on adding more vegetables to my plate -- I guess I ought to look at the MWL again. I am still having difficulty getting into my meal plan -- but I did bake up a 3 pound bag of potatoes and it was so nice to have the potatoes ready to grab and eat. I do not like to do too much cooking ahead because I always misjudge what I will eat and then it goes bad.

Had some fun with grandsons, but it is nice they are back home because sometime GS1 is a bit undisciplined and jumps around a lot. Plus he is bossy and the younger one gets tired of it and then the arguing starts. But, I noticed he was calm most of the time until his mother (D1) came to get him. It was like he was a different kid. Just an interesting observation I noticed.

I went for a walk in the woods the other day, I loaded my daypack with my camping chair, thermos of hot water and set off for the trails. 2 guys were on the trail and gave me the creeps, so I called hubby to have him on the phone while they past and then I wimped out on my walk. I chose to go the other way, to a spot I cleared out on top a hill but close to the road to sit and have my cocoa. But then, I notice a gut pile -- hunting season --- I need to stay out of the woods for about 1 month.

Today, I plan on eating:
coffee
cooked apple and squash (don't know what it is - we thought we planted butternut, but the seeds must have cross pollinated because we have something with that looks like a hybrid of spaghetti squash and butternut.

chili
baked potato

Exercise - raking, raking and some more raking the leaves -- snow is in the forecast for tomorrow
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:37 am

October 22, 2020

Weight 141.4 -- ate at a restaurant yesterday = ate more than I should have and oil and salt. Vegetable burrito - they served chips and salsa and fortunately for me, the chips were awful therefore I did not eat many.

Give myself credit - I stopped eating something I thought tasted nasty and did not eat it just because it was in front of me.

I managed to get 1 section of the yard raked, but the snow has come. First snowfall was close to six inches and I woke up to about 4 more this morning with it still coming down. It is a heavy wet snow -- something we usually get in March. I am bummed, I set up a new tarp on the sliding hill and the weight of the snow has already pulled a grommet out. Might not have happened if I knew what I was doing when I set it up. Oh well, now I have to work with what i have.

My eating plan is sort of no plan lately, But with winter coming and with the virus and all, I need to get with the plan and stay with the plan. My niece tested positive (and I was in contact with my sister) and my brother has tested positive - I am worried about him because he has COPD and possibly congestive heart failure. He usually gets sick this time of year.

Today my eating plan is:
coffee
melon - (trying to eat up our harvest)
peanut butter on multigrain bread

slow cooked onion, carrots and potato. Wishing I had cabbage to throw in, have brussels sprouts so I will add those in to the mix. Will be making enough for more than 1 meal. Hubby has his own slow cooker going with his choice.

Baked apples for dessert
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:58 am

Oh Nancy,

I hope your relatives (and yourself) don't get super sick with the Covid... have fun with that snow. In Utah we are really really dry. We're just hoping the ski resorts get some for our tourist industry.

Oh and WELL DONE not eating something! Love it!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby SilverDollar* » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:28 pm

What crazy weather! you having snow & NC is 80o! :eek:
Please stay safe,& hoping your family doesn't get too ill. RAS
SilverDollar*

Postby Morris » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:54 am

October 23, 2020
Weight: 140.6 -- down a bit

I was glad to see the weight come down a bit. The potato/carrot mix was so good and I most likely ate more than I needed. At least it kept me from the night-time snacking.

It snowed all day yesterday. About 90 minutes before the sun set, the flakes turned big and fluffy. I just HAD to go for a walk. I chose to stay on the road where there were some faint tire tracks to make the walking easier. My "photo" pond (where I always stop to take pictures) was so pretty. I should go through all my photos, and I bet I will find the four seasons.

I forgot to put on an extra pair of socks and my toe rubbed on my boot, now I have a painful blister which may put a slowdown on my exercise. But we will see. maybe a bandaid will protect from future pain.

Today my eating plan (at least while I am at computer, often it changes once I walk into the kitchen)
Coffee
potato/carrot/onion mix, spinach

apple crisp

squash
broccoli
unfried rice with mixed vegetables
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:16 am

October 24, 2020
weight -- did not step on scale today -- just forgot.

My toe blister is healing, did not stop me from putting on my boots to go for another walk in the woods. I chose to climb up that overlooked a pond to watch the sun set. I never have any luck getting photos of sunsets because whenever I am ready with a camera, there is no color. While I stopped to enjoy the beauty and faint color, I called my brother to see how he is doing. He said he feels like crap and cannot wait for all this to end. (He is the one that tested positive). I hope he recovers without any lingering issues.

At the facility where my parents are, there are staff members that are testing positive. The last message made it sound like some one was around a known case but came to work anyway. Kind of ticks off all my brothers and sisters. D2 works in a facility where they send the worker home that had contact with a known case even if they test negative.

Did I tell you we adopted a kitten -- feisty little thing. I am hoping she will be company for our dog, but our dog seems to ignore her. But every now and then we catch them laying together in the doggie bed.

I followed my meal plan yesterday, but am still working on better snacks. Hubby keeps buying candy and I am not exercising self-control, even though it is his stash. It is because he went and bought the biggest bag of Halloween candy -- I asked him to get a smaller one but no, he had to get the big one. If it would have been the smaller one, I would have exercised more self-control out of respect for it being his stash and it would have been in his little hiding spot. Instead, he left it out in the open. Passive aggressive and I fell for it. I need better ways to handle this. Hence, my woods time -- but sometimes he calls me when I am on my walk --- I swear it is just for the reason to annoy me. Woods = my therapy.

Can you tell I am frustrated today? Mainly at myself for letting it get to me. I need to accept the fact that he is not going to change. Afterall, why should he? Nothing is ever his fault. He is just like his father; one thing I learned from my mother-in-law is to learn to pick your battles and choose wisely.

Well, enough of that. I am cooking up some of our squash harvest and am freezing it for future use. It turns out some of the squash ended up being a hybrid of possible delicata and spaghetti squash. During the summer, I watched the bees go from plant to plant. We save our seeds to replant and the seeds we planted were from the year before when we planted delicata and spaghetti squashes. It is kind of a bummer because we thought the seeds were butternut (our favorite). Even the butternut seeds we purchased from a seed harvesting company were wrong and we ended up zucchini plants.

Today, my meal plan is:
coffee
spinach
carrot, onion and potato mix (leftovers)

fried rice - again leftovers
broccoli

apple crisp

Exercise - resist that candy sitting on the counter :unibrow:
treadmill - I want to get on that thing and run, run, and run -- I know it will actually be walk, run, walk, run, walk, run, walk.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:53 am

October 27, 2020
Weight: 140.6

Not much to report, going through the pantry items and found a stash of corn grits -- What do I do with corn grits? They are a bit chunkier than corn meal. It is a HUGE bag -- hubby says he bought them because I said I wanted them. I don't think so because next to it was a bag of cornmeal.

It is cold here now. I think the snow is here to stay. I see all the leaves that have fallen since the snow on top of the snow. It is going to be a pain to rake in the spring when the rest of the leaves fall. We have a mixture of red and white oak - one drops in the fall and the other in the spring.

Meal plan for today (as of this moment):
coffee
baked potato - topped with ketchup (no salsa)
spinach

apple crisp -- cooking up the harvested apples

corn grits with winter squash?
pinto beans
spinach
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:11 am

Nov 1, 2020
weight - did not weigh myself this morning -- I am starting to not obsess about it as much now.

I made this:
https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/vegan-baked-stuffed/mexican-style-bean-rice-casserole/
This is a keeper. I prefer this "no-cheese" sauce better (onion and red pepper) than the potato and carrot no-cheese sauce.

I also made some navy bean soup- onion, celery, carrot, potato and navy beans.

We chose to eat out at a restaurant yesterday - a Mexican restaurant, I had the vegetable bowl. We like this particular restaurant, it is sort of Subway style: all items are set out and you tell them how to assemble your dish. I had rice, beans, spinach, lettuce, onion and pepper mix, mushrooms, corn, cilantro, tomato and onion. It is one of my favorite dishes at that place.

Exercise: snow melted a bit and so I weed whacked my trail I am making. And, yes, I had a visitor come see what I was doing: another grouse came up to me. This one had different markings so I think this is the fourth one now. When I looked up grouse, I read they are shy birds and it is rare to see them. Someone forgot to tell those that which are on my property because when I am working they come right up to me.

After I cleared a spot to sit, I had some hot cocoa and just sat and waited for the dark to settle in ( I was out there about an hour before the sun set). I found a nice winter spot to set up a tarp because it is sheltered from the wind. The wind was blowing and the trees were swaying, but I barely felt the "breeze".

Today, I plan to eat:
coffee
navy bean soup

? depends on how much soup is left
spinach
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals