Journal of my journey

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Journal of my journey

Postby Morris » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:34 am

June 17, 2020
weight is up this morning -- 145.6 I am bloated

I worked out in the garden yesterday. I wasn't going to because it was so hot, but after I watered the asparagus (it is across a field and I had to hand carry the water to it - buckets in a wagon) I saw the squash full of weeds. So, I stopped to weed and the next thing I knew 2 hours had gone by. Then I went down to the lower plot and saw a deer in the yard. So, I went to check that plot and saw my greens full of weeds, So I decided to weed those also.

While I was weeding the lower plot, hubby calls me so I answer the phone and my talking draws my presence to a grouse, not Millie or Tony. What is it with these grouse? I looked it up and it stated that grouse are normally shy birds.

This morning I saw a bunny running across the driveway with something (mouse?) hanging out of its mouth -- my thought was, "There goes my greens."

We had a nice visit with GD1. I am so glad that she is comfortable enough around us that she calls and says she wants to visit with us. Did I mention that she got a job at the VA clinic? Right out of high school and she gets a good job. I am so proud of her.

I did not follow my meal plan yesterday, BUT I did make the potatoes and broccoli -- I just ate them plain. I boiled red potatoes and steamed frozen broccoli on top. I had 2 small cans of V8 juice. My bad was GD1 had some donuts that were left behind and I ate one without giving it much thought. This is where I need to do that Beck Diet Solution technique and eat mindfully and sitting down. I think if I would have done that I would have noticed that the donut wasn't really tasting all that good.

I need to do more planned exercises -- I just feel better when I do. I found a youtube video by Annie Taylor ... something or other (She has three names) where it is 4 minute of arm movements where you don't lower below chest level using 2 pound weights. I found improvement in my posture after a couple of times, pulls the shoulders back. That 2 pound weight sure did get heavy by the end.

Meal plan for today:
coffee
spinach
apple
whole grain bread with peanut butter

sweet potato
Normandy style blend of vegetables
black beans with onion
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:10 am

June 20, 2020

weight ?? I forgot to check this morning. I got busy doing other things.

I am trying to wean myself from so much internet time and am starting to do other things instead. So, my journal time be get to be a bit more condensed.

Today, I started my morning with coffee. Then I did 1/2 hour of strength and cardio.

For breakfast I made a corn and pinto bean dish (onion, garlic, kale, corn and pinto beans); served with a sweet potato. I finished the meal with a cup of tea sweetened with honey.

So far so good...

GS2 is here for the weekend, but he will be spending most of the time with grandpa because tomorrow I am going camping with GD1, possible 2 nights camping.

Not sure what I will be making for the meals today. With GS2 here, I usually make adjustments so he will eat. Maybe a fried rice with vegetables -- he like rice with soy sauce on it.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:35 am

June 24, 2020

weight 144.8 = -.5 pound from last week

I cannot wait until I drop at least 10 pounds. I have jeans that I cannot get into and it is getting me down. I don't like carrying this extra weight anymore. I am still working on my mindset -- it is not where it ought to be. Right now, I seem to be focusing on not eating between meals. The other day, after I ate (and I ate enough) I still wanted to eat more -- So, I went out into the garden and weeded. I spent about 1-1/2 hours out there and the whole time I was focused on my stomach. I was thinking, "What is this sensation, why do I feel like I want to eat more when I know I ate enough?' Those thoughts went through my head for some time, then all of a sudden I realized that it was had passed. I was then able to go for another couple of hours without wanting to eat.

Sometimes, when I am focusing on getting my mindset where I think it should be, I feel like I become obsessed with food and eating -- is this a sign of some type of eating disorder? And other times, I am in amazement that I went for hours without focusing of my stomach or thoughts of wanting to eat something. I think I really need to occupy my mind with other things.

I hd not posted for a while because I was camping with GD2 - we spent 2 nights and 3 days camping. It was fun. But my meals were out of bags and cans (i.e. mostly non compliant foods) We did lots of hiking. We even visited another state park that was by a lake to check out the campground there and to see that lake. GD2 said she did not like that one because there was not a lot of privacy for the campground - it was too open and not enough trees or space between the sites.

Now, I am back home and It is back to weeding the garden, mowing the lawn and cleaning the house. And, hopefully, back to eating the way I should be eating.

Today I plan to have:
coffee
tri-grain flakes, strawberries and chia seed

vegetable non-fried rice
salad

normamdy style vegetables
potatoes
chick peas
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:23 am

June 25, 2020

Weight is same as yesterday.

I am trying to plan my meals but cannot seem to stick with what I choose for the day -- life happens. I managed 2 of the three meals yesterday -- only because I did the meal prep ahead of time and was able to just heat and eat. Heat and eat -- hey! I like that slogan/

I picked strawberries the other day and sliced some and made overnight oats. Something about those strawberries changes the texture and makes me gag. I made two bowls and this morning I am attempting to get that second one down without up-chucking. Note to self: no overnight oats with strawberries and chia seed for me! I need to be careful because this was a problem for me in the past and I would not eat oatmeal for the longest time.

I saw a link for a weight loss planner https://www.niddk.nih.gov/bwp I keyed in the information for me to reach my goal weight and exercise -- interesting output on the data. My take away is input vs output -- It was just interesting for me to see the numbers on everything. I know if I just follow the plan my input will be below my output -- sometimes when I track my food, I am amazed at how quickly the calories and fat content shoot sky high.

Today I plan to eat:
coffee
those overnight oats with strawberries and chia seed

potatoes -
spinach
beans

?
Exercise: I need to mow a section of grass - going to do a hill today. should be fun fun fun til daddy takes my lawnmower away! oops! my age is showing the "fun" triggered a song in my head.

I am also hoping to go for a walk in the woods on the trails -- they are logging there and I am thinking it is no longer the "woods". I want to see how much they cleared.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:36 am

June 26, 2020

Weight - 144.0 - down a bit from a couple days ago.

I had quite a bit of activity yesterday. I mowed the hill and when I got close to the brush line. I found out Millie (the grouse) is still around because she came running after me. But, after I moved away from the brush, she kept her distance and just watched me. I hadn't seen her for a while and was hoping she moved on. Maybe, we will just get used to each other and not bother one another.

Then hubby had an appointment in town so while I waited I did a mile walk down by the river. In the evening, I walked 3 miles on the ATV trail. I was nosey and wanted to see how the logging was going. And going it is, they are clearing out a lot of trees. Hopefully, it will be a good thing for the woods

I started my morning with:
coffee
potatoes

For later on:
quinoa
sweet potato
black bean
corn
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:44 am

June 29, 2020

Weight - down 1 pound. Cannot wait for some inches to disappear again. Trying hard not to get too down on myself for allowing me to gain as much as I did. I think and hope I have learned a lesson that stuffing my face with junk don't do me any good -- love my English there - ha!

I am attempting to at least walk a mile a day if I don't exercise intentionally. Just going to the lake and back is a pleasant walk for me. The logging in the woods is making the woods non-existent, but I look forward to the regrowth. My walk is mostly out of curiosity because it has been so dry and there is a spot on the ATV trail that has always had a puddle. This summer, I have known of 2 people who decide to drive through it -- one on a four wheeler (ATV) and dropped down to the bottom of the seat of the vehicle; the second was some one in a truck that was out and about in the middle of the night - I heard him walking on the road and hubby went to check it out -- turned out he got his truck stuck in the puddle -- So, now I want to really know how deep that puddle is. So, I walk down there to see how much of it has evaporated. With a stick, I can tell that in the middle there is a hole. I won't walk in the puddle in case it is spring fed and pulls me in and under. I can tell that the bottom of the hole is super muddy; I had a hard time pulling my stick out. Reminds me of a story where someone walked in a mud puddle and lost their shoe because they got stuck in the mud.

I am adding strength training to my routine because when I weigh myself, I am noticing with pounds lost it is showing less in my muscle weight. It is one of those scales that measure different things: weight, fat %, muscle, hydration -- I am not sure how accurate it is, but as I age I don't want to lose muscle. So, I will do a few exercises to keep what I currently have.

My eating these past few days is nothing to brag about - and can definitely can use improvement. I found it helps to have stuff ready to grab and heat for those times I come in from doing yard/garden work. My problem with doing that is hubby eats it before I get to it and then I usually grab a peanut butter sandwich. Sometimes it is frustrating because he does not want to eat this way, yet he keeps taking my starches I make for me.

Today I started my day with:
coffee
sweetened cereal with strawberries and banana, coconut cashew milk

fruit filled cookies - made with fruit and whole grains

I have no idea what I am going to make for later...
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:15 am

Morris wrote:I am adding strength training to my routine because when I weigh myself, I am noticing with pounds lost it is showing less in my muscle weight. It is one of those scales that measure different things: weight, fat %, muscle, hydration -- I am not sure how accurate it is, but as I age I don't want to lose muscle. So, I will do a few exercises to keep what I currently have.

I have one of those scales too and I always wonder how accurate it is. I think most are just based on a formula. But one thing that scares me the most is being old and frail.

That puddle story is slightly scary.

Enjoy your day.
AnnetteW

Postby Morris » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:28 am

July 1st, 2020

Weight - up a pound from the other day -- wwe ate out yesterday at a Mexican restaurant. I did not pig out on the chips - a + for me. I ordered the black bean soup - it was a big bowl, but brothy (I could see that they added oil.) It came with some onion and tomato mixture, cilantro and avocado - I requested no dairy.

I went for a walk yesterday, I walked on the road that goes through the woods and then when on the other side, I went to the bridge that is at the bottom of a HUGE hill. Going down was easy but it was a breath-taking task going up. Then on the way back, 2 ATVers went through that puddle. They got wet. That is one deep hole. I cannot believe they have not put up a sign. But this is the smallest that puddle has been and in the past, most went around it. In fact, they had maintained the road and built up around the puddle. It was a 2 hour walk and I went about 5 miles. The horse flies were biting if I walked too slow and I wore my netting over my head to keep the gnats away from my face and ears.

Today is a new month and I am considering June a practice month and I need to get serious about what I am eating. I set a goal for my birthday in 1 month and I don't think I will make it because I seem to be stuck in this weight range -- now my goal is too much too quickly. I am at that weight where I was stuck for 1 year in the past. I hope it don't take me that long to break through this time.

Today I started with:
coffee
triagrain oats with strawberries (almost done picking these now, I froze some to have for later -- so nice stepping outside and picking what I want to eat. Raspberries are now getting ready to pick. We have a patch of wild raspberries that I cleaned up this spring hoping for a good harvest.)

I plan on having some rice and stir-fry vegetable mix for later.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:12 am

July 3, 2020
Weight is down today -- but I am not going to get too excited about it because I do not think it is a true weight loss. Yesterday, I was weeding one garden plot and I was outside all day -- and I mean all day - It was so peaceful and the humidity seemed to have been low so I did not mind the heat of the sun. I was in the garden plot that I had not been attending to and it got overgrown with grass. It is the greens, beans, and squash plot.

Lettuce is now ready to be picked!!! We eat a lot so that ought to save us some $$ - the kale and spinach will be ready for picking. Tastes so much better when things are fresh picked. This morning, I picked some raspberries from the wild patch I cleaned up this spring --- so good!

Yesterday I had the tri-grain flakes with strawberries and banana

out in garden - non compliant stuff throughout the day - donut and pop

Supper- red potatoes and stir-fry mix of vegetables

Today:
coffee
shredded wheat and raspberries

lettuce
lentilogna sandwich
carrot and celery sticks
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:12 am

July 5, 2020

Weighed myself this morning - holding. I think I am stuck here for a while unless I really tweak what I am eating. I'll break through eventually - on the positive, my jeans are getting looser and I went in a notch on my belt. The scale only tells a part of the story.

I am starting to go for a run again. I finished week 1 of the 5k101 by Running Mate Media and coached by Todd Lange. I bought his podcasts back in 2009 and I am still using them and they are still helpful for me to do the run/walk training. But, I am doing each workout 2 times and to make it interesting to me, I compete with myself to see if I can beat my distance with each play of the podcast.

I think I may need to get out there a bit earlier though. I lost most of the shade on the road the second time this morning. It is hot and humid so earlier in the morning would be better. Yesterday, I chased a fox down the road and this morning a doe was watching me. As long as I am not chased by a bear, I'll be okay.

I finished up the lentilogna -- that was so good to have on hand for a quick sandwich - but it is a pain to make. The loaf lasts me about 3 days, if I don't share it. ;-) Here is the link for recipe and how to make:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBO7AQrRqt0

I read in the comments where someone tried it with chickpea flour -- I think I will try that and see how different it tastes. Maybe I won't have to cook it as long.

I started my day with:
coffee

4.60 miles run/walk
24 ounces water

lentilogna sandwich with stir-fry vegetables on the side
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:12 pm

July 8, 2020
Weight is holding - that is okay. I am busy and trying to disconnect a bit from the internet and do other things. Therefore, I am not posting as much as I have in the past.

It has been hot and humid -- trying to get yard work done. I came across some "natural" bug repellant that I had stashed away. Now I know why it was hidden -- I break out from it and am suffering from hives. Too late, did I remember that was why I was not using it. I am taking Benadryl for the itching and it is wiping me out - making me drowsy I don't have energy to do much of anything.

I did manage to mow some of my yard tonight - but there was a tornado warning just north of here, so hubby called me in.
I think it worked some of the Benadryl out of my system. :nod:

I started running again in the mornings -- I tried one night time run, about 1-1/2 hour before sunset. I think I am more of a morning runner. It was a clumsy run and I felt awkward. It made me think of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGojEyYBmwc

I don't even know what I have been eating lately - just whatever is around and quick to grab. I need to make some more lentilogna -- I am going to try it with chickpea flour next time just to see how different it will taste. My sister and I went to a Mexican restaurant but the waiter did not speak English and did not understand my request (substitute black bean for the meat and no dairy) I got a beef burrito with a side of beans with cheese -- sent it back and changed my order to just black bean soup.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:23 am

July 11, 2020

Weight - 142.0 -- down a bit - but boy, am I needed to really pay attention to when and what I am eating. Unfortunately, I am still making poor choices for snacking. But my meals are compliant with TSS. I think that not snacking as much between meals is what is making the difference.

We went up north for a few days, I needed to mow the yard up there. We took GS2 along with us. I managed to get 3 hours of mowing done -- the yard, my 2 campsites I want to create and part of the trails. I did not get to finish because both hubby and GS2 wanted to return home. Seriously? I wanted to go up there to mow and they tagged along. I was going to camp last night (I always have a tent and sleeping bag in my car). I am kind of bummed because it is a bit more 'wild" up there and it would have been nice to have someone close by -- just in case. So, I guess I have another trip in my near future. :-)

I started my day with:
coffee
graham crackers

and plan on making:
rice and pinto beans
corn
spinach/lettuce salad

Lentilogna sandwiches on whole grain bread--
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:29 am

July 12, 2020

Weight is same as yesterday ~ But I am not sure I am eating enough calories, I am tired, not sure what is going on, but the naps do feel good. I might track what I am eating just to see how many calories I am eating. I am trying to focus on eating until feeling satisfied and cut way back on in-between meal eating.

I am still getting stuff done though. Yesterday, I managed to weed two and half garden plots. plus the asparagus area. We have some squash growing, zucchini. Bummer! We used old seeds and had them labeled as butternut ~~ now we have a gazillion zucchini plants growing. 2 plants is sufficient for us. Ideas for zucchini will be welcomed! :nod:

I woke up an hour later than usual this morning and so on my run I decided to go "through the woods" route, because the shade on the road was disappearing. As I almost made it through (1 mile) I heard a branch snap and then some sound I "ain't never heard before"! (my words when I called hubby to come get me). When I heard the snap of the branch, I clapped my hands and shouted out -- then it sounded like wings flapping or fur being shook! But that wasn't no grouse stepping on the branch, nor a turkey. I am thinking it was a bear. Hubby came and got me on the other side and I just finished up my run with some hill workouts near our driveway.

This morning I had:
coffee (only half of what I normally have because I did my run pre-coffee

Rice, pinto beans, and corn

Later on I will have some more rice and beans
salad with guacamole

lentilogna sandwich with lettuce and carrot sticks
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:55 am

July 18, 2020

Weight - 143.6

Taking a break from everything -- I am getting frustrated with so many things, but mainly on how I cannot seem to stick with anything for any period of time. I cannot seem to commit to anything- eating, exercise, rest -- I am so sporadic at it all.

The other day, I went to Barnes and Noble (book store) I was looking at journals -- for some reason I am thinking I should try journaling -- but been there done that and did not last for long - don't want to spend $$ on something that will just sit on the shelf.

Zucchini is now ripening -- our seeds got mixed up and we are now getting zucchini galore. We have way too many plants, I guess zucchini will be my vegetable of choice.

Today I started my day with coffee -- but some donuts were on the counter and I had donut with my coffee -- I keyed it in cron 0 meter just to monitor the calorie counts - WAKE UP CALL -- enough of that!! Time to get back on track.

Later on today I will make"
zucchini with onion, corn and kale
potato
pinto beans

As for exercise -- it has been hot, hot and humid. If I do not get started with my run by 8:00 a.m. there is no shade so I skip it. I have been mowing this past week. I break up the yard and mow sections at a time. I have about 3 more to go before I start over. My trail in the woods is overgrown - thinking I may just let it go till fall when the growing stops. Not sure what I am going to do though. My compulsive behavior may kick in and I may find myself out there in the woods whacking away at the brush. I want it cleared by winter so I can make a snow shoe trail.

I mowed what I call the sliding hill (use it in the winter for sliding) and discovered Millie (the grouse) is still around. She came out when I got close to the brush line. We ignored each other this time and got along just fine. I was wondering if she was still around because I had not seen her for a while -- I found some poo on the sliding hill and thought maybe something got her. But, she is still here.

I found a spot behind the garage where I can set up a campsite -- camping in the yard is just not the same as in the park. I cannot believe summer is half over and I have only gone camping one time -- with GD1 -- so happy I at least got that done. Now the flies are out full force and they bite! Oh boy, do they bite! They draw blood.

Well, here's hoping I can turn my day around and turn it into a success!
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:52 am

July 19, 2020

I weighed myself this morning, but I have no idea what the number was - I guess I am not really focusing on the number on the scale. It was in the same range and not moving much anyways.

I bought a new tool for yard work. It is a weed something or other. Hubby said I swing it like a machete -- so I decided to take it out on the trail I am making around our property. I made it to the corner in an hour and half -- 90 minutes. We just replaced the blade on the self-propelled mower so I decided to remove some of the growth so I can see the ground. I was just going to try the tool for a few minutes, but my compulsive behavior part of me said I had to make it to the property marker. It was humid yesterday and I was drenched with sweat by the time I was done.

Earlier, late spring, when I worked back there Millie came to chase me away. I did not see her yesterday so I am thinking her chicks may have moved on and found there own place now. She did visit me when I mowed the sliding hill.

Last night I heard a vehicle on the road and got up to see what was going on. It appeared that some one was on the ATV trails - not sure why they were out there in the middle of the night. But, while up and awake, I noticed the starry sky -- So I set up a lawn chair and sat outside for some time and just looked up and admired all the stars. When I got up to go inside, I noticed I was looking in the wrong direction. I was looking south, but there was a better show northward. Oh well. I also found the telescope I bought for Christmas is worthless for looking at the stars - my mini binoculars gave me a better view.

My eating plan for today:
coffee
zucchini - (What we are picking appears to be multiplying on the counter -- I cannot eat fast enough)

Baked beans
Potato salad
zucchini

I think I will shred some zucchini and make some zucchini waffles and freeze for a quick snack and/or breakfast meal.

Well, off to go and hack some more weeds on the trail before it gets too hot.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals