Journal of my journey

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Journal of my journey

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:49 am

Eat Plants Epic Poo! I want that t-shirt :lol: ...or hoodie today because it's cold!

The more I read in these journals about the Beck Diet Solution, the more I want to read it. Seems like a way to help in many areas of life, not just food. :nod:

Congrats on getting some of your space back. It really is stressful when you have to live packed on top of other people and when they are difficult, that makes it even worse. So sorry about separating from them, though. :(

Keep up the good work. I have always been impressed with your consistency in exercise.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Morris » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:51 am

October 12, 2018

LAST DAY!!!! -- that's in theory only, the SIL is already planning on extending the time on our property (yard). But, too bad so sad, at 12:01 Saturday morning, I am taking possession of my house again.

Yesterday, our youngest came over with her SO and they helped me do some yardwork, even though we had snow on the ground - UGH! that 4 letter word. I normally do not mind it, but I like it better when my outside work is done. Afterwards, we came in and I was asked to make a quick lunch. We had some mac and cheese on the counter so my daughter asked if I could make that for lunch.

So, for lunch we has mac and cheese with mixed vegetables, peas, spinach, and for the SO and hubby - venison. The SO is a processed food junkie and will not eat vegetables, so I separated his mac and cheese before I added the vegetables. All other items were served on the side. Afterwards, daughter and SO got into an argument because she wants to eat better and he does not, the discussion was based on "I don't want to cook two meals". I am hoping the way I made the lunch will serve as an example for that she does not have to make 2 separate meals. But the reality is that she wants him to do the cooking and he won't cook from scratch.

Later that evening, I watched a video on meal planing by Mary McDougall and the suggestion she gave when there are other family members that are not eating this way is to serve the meal where each can add what they want to their plate. Simple, sometimes we make things so complicated.

I am still overly stressed and peanut butter and jelly toast seems to be my comfort food. I am eating way too much bread!!!! I slept well last night, my fitbit showed a nice pattern between the deep, light and REM cycle - that is something I have not seen in a while.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Idgie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Nancy, that's a lot of food-related stress. I hope having your space back will make that a lot easier. I know that when my daughter moved out (she's high-maintenance) things got so much calmer in my space.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby keithswife » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:48 am

Morris wrote:October 12, 2018
Later that evening, I watched a video on meal planing by Mary McDougall and the suggestion she gave when there are other family members that are not eating this way is to serve the meal where each can add what they want to their plate. Simple, sometimes we make things so complicated.

Do you still have the link to this video handy? I sure could use some help with this myself.
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf
keithswife

Postby Morris » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:59 pm

Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:40 am

October 14, 2018

Insomnia night! I am so angry!! I spent 8 hours cleaning the house, that and with my youngest helping and the crew the other daughter hired, there is so far a total 23 manpower hours cleaning -- and I am not done. That is not including the mess SIL left in the yard. We will need to get a dumpster. And to push the knife in the back further, he stole my lawnmower when he left.

That house was so bad that the cleaning crew of 4 was supposed to be there for 5 hours and they took off after 3 and declared it way too much work than was bargained for.

Beck Diet Solution day 14 - plan for tomorrow - the "diet" starts tomorrow. I have some squash and apples from the garden so I started to look to see what I can use with those.

1. Butternut Blueberry Breakfast (squash cooked with apple and nutmeg) topped with blueberry and nuts. I made it this morning and it was actually quite good. It sounded weird on paper, but I don't know why I have made something similar with sweet potatoes before.

2. Indian Curry Lentils and serve it with Kale and squash

3. Butternut Risotto and serve it with pinto beans. I am going to add bell pepper, mushrooms, and kale to it.

Well, that's my plan - let's see how I do sticking with it.

For today:
coffee
Pumpkin, apple and pineapple

"creamy" tomato soup for lunch
Pinto beans

last meal is undecided -
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:41 am

October 15, 2018

Still cleaning the house, scrubbing the walls now. Hubby was a away and came home and did a walk through and he kept saying the place was filthy. I finally told him that I feel bad that he kept saying that because I cleaned the place and they were there for 7 years. It is just that we have so much negativity towards them that all we see is the bad.

But, they are gone now and we need to move forward. I do not like being angry all the time. It uses so much energy and leaves me feeling drained. I saw a quote supposedly by Anne Frank that said, "Despite all that has happened, I believe people are really good at heart." or something like that. I say she was delusional, because people are really evil at heart. When the girls were toddlers, we had to teach them to be kind, being mean and cranky seemed to come naturally. But then, that's my theory.

My eating was not too bad yesterday, I see that I planned pinto beans - never did happen. I finished up that naan bread - I have to stop buying that because I eat way too much at one sitting.It's too refined. For dinner, I had a baked potato topped with mixed vegetable and salsa and some spinach.

I do find that when I eat greens at each meal, I seem to stay full longer and am not tempted to eat in between meals as much. I am going to keep this short today, I am going to prep my meals for the day and then get up and scrub some more walls.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:56 pm

greens...I've been promising myself to make greens part of every meal for a while, and now I see yet another reason why it's a good idea.

So sorry about the dirty house you have to deal with, and what a slime to steal your lawnmower. It sounds like they were self-centered and lazy. You're much better off with them gone. Good job choosing healthy foods! Keep that up!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Morris » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:38 am

October 16, 2018

Yesterday, before I started my day, I made my meals for the day:
Squash Blueberry breakfast
Spiced Squash Sweet Potato soup
Squash Risotto
Indian Curry lentils

Now I have leftovers for today,

What I ate yesterday:
Coffee
squash blueberry Breakfast with spinach
carrot

Baked potato
Indian curry Lentils
Spinach
Squash Risotto

Nut/seed bar

Baked potato
Indians curry lentils
Salad: romaine spinach bell pepper
peanut butter and jelly toast x2

hot chocolate
marshmallows - way too many

I am glad I made my meals ahead of time. Had to go to town to get some supplies. I started to feel hungry, had I not made my meals ahead of time, I would have been the one suggesting to eat out. It is so much easier to say, "I can wait til I get home" when I know something is already cooked and waiting for me at home.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:20 am

October 17, 2018

I weighed myself this morning and slowly some of these stress pounds are coming off. My attitude is slowly getting adjusted. As we clean the property and getting rid of the evidence of SIL and daughter, things are getting brighter, even the dog is happier. Can you imagine that, they leave and the dog gets happier!

I don't know if I mentioned this, but my dad is now having health issues. It turns out he needs to have surgery on his neck. He fell while my mom was in the hospital. I cannot remember if it's a disc or bone, but it's pressing on his spinal cord. Surgery is next week, so despite all I have to do here, I'll be needing to spend time with them again to help them out.

My leftovers from the meals I made are lasting longer than I thought they would. Yeah! I don't have to spend time cooking, just grab and reheat.

That squash risotto is awesome! And the lentils go great over baked potatoes. I'll be eating the soup today.

My quote for today is: I am not telling you it's going to be easy, I am telling you it's going to be worth it. ~Art Williams
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby moonlight » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:58 am

Morris wrote:My quote for today is: I am not telling you it's going to be easy, I am telling you it's going to be worth it. ~Art Williams

I love this quote. Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry you're having to deal for grown up kids who have chosen to be so self centered. At least you recognize that and now have cut ties with regrad to living arrangments. Maybe over time they will mend their ways and realize what is truly important in life. You did all you could in raising the daughter and giving them extra support as adults. Now they will need to make their way.

Happy McDougalling! And, congrats on working the Beck program! I'm doing it now, too. It has really helped me change some thought patterns. :)
moonlight

Postby Morris » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:03 am

October 20, 2018

I need a do over for yesterday. I did so well for breakfast and lunch, then WHAM - soy ice cream cone, cinnamon roll, potato chips.
For the ice cream cone, I had met with a friend and we went for a walk - we had probably one of the last nice days weather wise before the cold sets in for the winter. In the past, I always liked ice cream after a long walk. And the other two, I think I gave in to the craving mostly because I was alone. I briefly remember thinking that no one will see me. I even hid the evidence by hiding the potato chip bag in my coffee cup so hubby wouldn't see me throw it away. I justified that behavior by thinking I need to be a good example for him - NOT.

I am doing the Beck Diet Solution and today's lesson is getting back on track. Is this perfect timing or what?! One of the exercises is write down advantages of doing your eating plan. In other words, write down your WHY, then you are to read that list in the morning and in the evening along with other response cards that I made as needed to help retrain the brain to think differently. I was skipping that step. This morning, as I was reading them, I realized that these cards are what helped me be successful in my eating plan in the past.

Everything goes back to "Am I willing to commit to eating foods that are beneficial for health and avoid the foods that are not."

I just need to remind myself that I feel better when I eat better.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:39 am

October 21, 2018

Everything goes back to "Am I willing to commit to eating foods that are beneficial for health and avoid the foods that are not."

Well, apparently not because I pigged out on a bag of Snicker bites last night. Hey, they were small, so I could eat more, right? After all they were small bites. :o :eek:

My dad is due to have surgery on his neck tomorrow. I have to go and help them for a few days. I pray it goes well.If it doesn't it will be devastating...

I have so much to do here, my leaves are all over the yard. Hubby cannot help due to his back. We have to still prep the house that my daughter moved from in order to get it painted so we can move in. Still don't have my garden mulched for the winter. And the list goes on and on...

Hopefully, I'll get a grip on my eating before I start having issues. At least my breakfast and lunch meals are what they should be. So, I guess I can be encouraged by that, I just need to work an the afternoon and evening eating habits to be on-plan with food - real food that is beneficial for my health. (Trying to be positive here and not get too discouraged with my inability to stick with the plan).
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:22 pm

October 23, 2018

I have not weighed myself for a few days. I was at my parents because my dad had surgery on his neck. He has part of his bone removed as preventive measure to keep it from doing damage to the spinal cord. My mom is still recovering from her surgery. It is really hard seeing my parents so frail and unstable on their feet. Oh, the surgery went well and my dad is recovering quite well.

While at the hospital on the day my dad had surgery, we ate at the cafeteria and I had a bean burger on whole wheat bun, roasted vegetables, spinach, fruit (berries, grapes and pineapple) and chocolate cookie. I was looking at my plate with all the green and color from the vegetables, it looked so pretty and colorful. Then I looked at what my mom, brother, niece and her boyfriend were eating; Hamburger and fries -- all brown. What a contrast.

My binge with the Snickers has lead to other things - UGH! i am getting tired of my lack of self control. But for breakfast and lunch I am eating things that I consider to be good for me and I am starting my day with greens - a huge serving of greens. That seems to keep me satisfied til the next meal.

That would make one think I am doing good, but I am bingeing on candy bars at night, when I am all alone, I am not even hungry when I am stuffing my face. -- Cram Circuit -- I do not even know what my mind set is that is getting me to buy the stuff in the first place, other than "I think I'll buy a bag of candy. Oh, Look it's on sale because of Halloween, it's two for one. Score!"

And don't tell me not to buy it because I already know that if I did not buy it and have it accessible then I couldn't eat it, because I already know that. It is like I am possessed or something. Well, that seems appropriate because of the holiday coming up.

But, I am still here. I am not giving up.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Idgie » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:28 pm

I can really recognize that seemingly possessed eating. Usually for me, it's a way to calm myself during really stressful times, and you're sure under a lot of stress. I hope things get better soon, and I think it's great that you're eating really well when you're up for doing so. That's still better than burgers and fries at every meal.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals