Plant-based and starch centered...

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Plant-based and starch centered...

Postby astirle » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:00 am

Wish I could give you a hug - here's a virtual one for you.
You are doing so well!! Don't be so hard on yourself! :thumbsup:
On the quest for resilience
astirle

WEDNESDAY 10/18/17 WEEK 14 WEIGH-IN

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:52 am

No loss.
BP 126/83.
No sleep, again.
This is but a season.
And, today, I will choose joy!

Thank you, astirle, for your encouragement!
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

SUNDAY 10/22/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Still here. Still in my rough patch. T.O.M. started today. Maybe somehow that is factoring into all of this mess. Over the last few days, my appetite has slowed down again. Somehow, I believe weather is a factor, as well.
strivn2bhealthy

WEDNESDAY 10/25/17 WEEK 15 WEIGH-IN

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:44 am

No loss.
BP 140/83

My husband got home from El Salvador late last night.
It will be good to have him home again.

TMI follows...
This is one of the worst TOM ever! I don't remember having this much cramping/backache since I was 15 years old. Someone suggested that, since adding sweet potatoes, I have messed with progesterone levels. I tried doing a cursory search on the internet, but only found a couple of conflicting thoughts. Somewhat consistently, I find YAMS have progesterone or affect it. I found 2 sites referencing sweet potatoes and yams (and a couple more plants as well) as having progesterone. But, I haven't been convinced by anything, yet. Will look into this more. Coincidence, though, that it was at the time that I added sweet potatoes into my diet (when ours matured) that I started having all of my "problems"... appetitie/hunger, bloating, irratic gain/loss and mental fog, etc?
Never would have associated sweet potatoes with any issue as I've eaten them in the past, seemingly, without apparent issue. BUT, I did see an article referencing "Mannitol" in sweet potatoes. I'm curious about that as I tended to have issues with sugar alcohols used to sweeten low carb foods... the sugars all ending in "ol". I grew 3 different varieties of sweet potatoes and it could be one (or all) is the key. More research needed.

Interesting thoughts come to mind after considering above things. Do we possibly become more sensitive to food sensitivities, or do they become more apparent, BECAUSE we are eating healthier? This isn't a bad thing, but could be frustrating. It would be good to know that xyz might have been exacerbating other issues my entire life and I just didn't recognize it because it was masked by unhealthy habits. Some, though, would point fingers and say it was BECAUSE of eating this way and that it proves this isn't as healthy as we think. Personally, I want to know so I don't continue on the way I have. Too bad if certain foods MIGHT POSSIBLY be an issue. Maybe these issues and many others will resolve themselves as I get healthier. You know, all of this is just "food" for thought.. :wink: (lol.)
strivn2bhealthy

SATURDAY 10/28/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:52 am

Re-read some info about set point. I think, along with the "possible" sweet potato issue, that I'm dealing with a former set point. I maintained between 280-285 for several years including before, and after, childbearing. I thought I already moved past it a few weeks ago when I hit a snag at 285 and then dropped to 279 pretty quickly after that. Honestly, though, this makes sense. My body is wanting more bc I think it is fighting me to get past this point and stay past it. I need to keep this in the forefront of my mind. There is a strong possibility of it appearing again between 250-260 (2013-2014) and possibly at 210-220 which is my previous low adult weight (2010-2011).

From what I read about mannitol and sweet potatoes, I think small servings should be okay. I'm staying away until my weight loss gets moving again. Once, that happens, I will add back in small amounts of sweet potato and see if I can find a limit to stay below. I will also try to distinguish if there is a difference between the 3 diff't types I have grown. If there is less issue with one, then I can always just focus on growing that variety.

Hope to start seeing results, soon.
strivn2bhealthy

WEDNESDAY 11/01/17 WEEK 16 WEIGH-IN

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:40 am

NO LOSS (-0, -43)
BP 149/94 at the eye doctor's office with a wrist cuff (no idea of the accuracy)

When I don't lose, but I am eating correctly, I don't record gains bc they have to be due to something else. In actuality, I am up 3 pounds (282), right now. I was up as much as 6 lbs (285) at one point. I haven't loss anything since 10/11.

I am NOT eating off plan. I cut beans and fruit for the last week to see if I was eating too much. Still no change.

I am still wondering if this is related to set point? Or hormones? Or calorie restriction from the past catching up to me? Cooked food vs raw balance? I have no intention of stopping. But, I am struggling with how there is benefit for me when I am not losing weight.

I've been spot weighing my food to see if I am still close to target with food portions. It seems okay.

I'm losing hope to hit my year-end target (important to me bc anniversary, Christmas, birthday and New Years' are all so close together.)

I believe this will turn around.
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

THURSDAY 11/02/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:34 pm

Back to weighing and measuring!

Targets -
calories <1600
calorie density <400

Food focus:
Veggie soup w/greens
Potato
Sweet potato
Beans
Occasional ww pasta
Occasional corn tortillas
Occasional fruit

Target stats:
A lightly active 60yo woman, 5'6", BMI 21 = ultimate goal weight 130 = 1650 calories/day.

I am about to turn 54, but am looking ahead as I try to create new habits/routines. I have never been thin as an adult. Overweight/obese my entire life. It may not be possible to reach that goal. But, there are many that seem capable to hit their targets. I will set that as my goal and keep plugging away.
strivn2bhealthy

THURSDAY 11/02/17 food

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:30 pm

b corn tortillas/beans/salsa
l baked potato/veggie soup
s sweet potato
d baked potato/veggie soup
s tortilla

calories 1675
calorie density 351
strivn2bhealthy

FRIDAY 11/03/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:53 pm

b sweet potato
l soup/salad
s veggie soup
d baked potato/veggie soup/greens

calories 1600
calorie density 265

Yesterday, I went back to weighing/measuring. I don't regret it all. It doesn't bother me to do it. It's just routine.

I would say that a degree of peace has been restored. What's most important is what works for me that will keep me engaged and progressing to better health through pb foods and weight loss.

Made a batch of soup yesterday that just hit the spot. So, today, I made another batch scaled to the right proportion so I can eat the whole pot throughout the day and not have to think about portion size. It worked well bc I never know at what point I will be the hungriest throughout the day.

I truly hope that the instability of the last few weeks doesn't make a reappearance anytime soon! Thankful I started taking the VitD when I did! We've already had so many dark days. I do feel like I've turned a corner toward the more rational. It will be the first of the year in a flash. Would love to see another 20 gone. Not impossible. But... Nope, not going to go there.
strivn2bhealthy

SATURDAY 11/04/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:06 pm

b salad w/no oil poppy seed dressing
l veggie soup/tortillas, black beans, salsa, kale medley
s veggie soup
d veggie soup/baked potato

calories 1502
calorie density 267

Twenty years ago today, I delivered our first child, stillborn. I remember wondering if I wasn't supposed to be a mom... or, if I was going to be a bad mom... or was I getting ready to die and this was protection for the child... so many questions and such a time of despairing. Twenty years later, to the praise of our Lord Jesus Christ, we have 2 amazing, healthy, beautiful young adults (son and daughter) that we've been blessed to birth and raise! On this day, five years after the stillbirth (15 years ago today), we found out we were pregnant, again. Two weeks later, I miscarried that baby. The questions that followed were so different. We KNEW we had been BLESSED with a son and a daughter.

We can't see what is ahead. We can speculate, try to induce, deduce, and infer... then along comes a spider, a pothole, an abyss, or a wall. We should see these obstacles, right? We should anticipate them on the horizon, correct? How many of us have walked into a screen door? Maybe we were focusing on the scene beyond and not on the fabric itself? Maybe. What about a pane of glass? Although not human, birds are often tricked into flying headlong into windows that separate the outside from the inside... tragedy by reflection or transparency. Can it happen to us? Does it? Maybe. We plan our tomorrows based on what we know today. In our hands, though, we hold no external control. We are accountable for ourselves alone. It could be frightening and lonely. But God... With Him, there is no fear of the unforeseen, of the unknown, nor of the unexpected. I am responsible for today. Some or part of my tomorrows will be dependent on what I choose to do today. But, not all of it. Except... If I choose to live on the ocean shore, there could be a tsunami... the plains, a tornado... the mountains, a blizzard... Reality says that if I choose to remain living on the planet earth, a bomb could fall anywhere... a plane could crash anywhere... I could slip and fall anywhere... But God... With Him, there is no fear of the unforeseen, of the unknown, nor of the unexpected. Today, I choose to not live in fear. And, I know that I am not alone. Not everyone gets me... not everyone loves or likes me... not everyone needs to know me.... But God... With Him, I am not alone, nor lonely, nor without purpose. I am surrounded by a world of people frightened and lonely. Our paths cross and intersect. I can't make you understand. I can speculate, try to induce, deduce and infer on your behalf. But why? I can't solve your problems. I can't make anything happen. But God... He has your answers, He'll take away your fear, and you will never be lonely, any more. But God... He has made a way, He sent His Son to save the world. But God...
strivn2bhealthy

SUNDAY 11/05/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:57 pm

b black beans/salsa/kale/tortillas
l rice/black beans/salsa/kale
s salad
d cereal/almond milk/banana
s black beans/salsa/tortillas

calories 2480
calorie density 605

Not a great eating day, today. Nothing off plan. Just too much food. I left myself get too hungry this morning.
Okay... So, I'll wake up tomorrow a little wiser and keep moving forward!
Last edited by strivn2bhealthy on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
strivn2bhealthy

MONDAY 11/06/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:33 pm

updated
b cereal/almond milk/banana
l baked potato/ketchup/veggie soup
s veggie soup
d black beans/salsa/tortillas

calories 1546
calorie density 322

Calories lower and calorie density lower... WIN. Still pushing ahead...
strivn2bhealthy

TUESDAY 11/07/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:37 am

the plan:
b veggie soup/cereal/almond milk/wild blueberries
l veggie soup/baked sweet potato
d veggie soup/black beans/salsa/kale medley/corn tortillas

calories: 1474
calorie density: 285

Today is the fourth day of making the pot of soup. It has been working well. By accident, I figured out how to have it for breakfast. I didn't eat soup for dinner last night. So, this morning, I ate the leftover soup for breakfast. I will continue to make my pot of soup between breakfast and lunch. I'll eat 1/3 for lunch, 1/3 for dinner, and the final 1/3 for breakfast the next morning. Funny how, given time, the littlest of details can right themselves.

Had some unpleasant stress yesterday. Bad enough that it made me crave --------- --------. I struggled with it for a couple of hours until dinner. I didn't eat my veggie soup for dinner and went straight for the satisfaction of my black bean tortillas. Surprisingly, it was my husband who gave strong support to NOT give in to the temptation. Of course, said counsel came while he was eating several slices of bacon. But, that's his battle. He definitely helped me stay the course and it was much appreciated.

I haven't seen any new weight loss for 27 days. While this defies all logic (I'm a female, solidly averaging 1600 calories or less and weigh 279lbs), whatever may be going on in my body, it has to right itself. I'm not going to increase exercise. The habit I'm forging now is getting the food right to last the rest of my lifetime. Past experience has shown that my activity level naturally increases as the weight comes off. I am, also, still guarding the 4 damaged discs in my back.

I was thinking back to why I stopped eating this way in 2014. It was much a similar circumstance. I weighed less at the time, but after 3 mos, all weight loss stopped. There were a couple of other circumstances that came up and I thought I had the right to stop trying and stop caring about myself and my health. As much as I thought I had the fight in myself, then, I didn't. That's why I get so easily frustrated now... I'm more afraid of myself when the seas get a little rough.

Right now, I believe everything is set for me to start back to school in the spring. I had this self-sabotage in the early years of my life, as well. I had so many life interruptions when trying to go to school (shift-changes, living arrangements, etc) that, at one point, I let everything roll to F's instead of withdrawing. I wanted to make sure that I kept myself from being able to "try again". Yet, here I find myself going against the odds and working toward finishing my Associate Degree at 54yo (will be) after taking a 30+ year break. I wonder if I have the fight for all of this NOW. Time will tell.
strivn2bhealthy

WEDNESDAY 11/08/17 WEEK 17 WEIGH-IN

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:05 am

Woo hoo! Yippee! Rah rah rah! lol.
Weight: 277 (-2, -45)
BP 145/85

Is the ship righting itself? Twenty-seven days without losing and then 2 pounds down in a single day!
Edited goal weight to reach normal bmi, first... 153lbs. At that point, I will set the new goal(s). It has kind of been the unspoken goal all along. But, now more than ever, I think I need "see" the finish line a little more clearly. At the point I hit a normal bmi, the length of reaching a lower goal closer to a bmi of 21 will be less important. Still a goal, just not one to be in a rush to hit.

Plan for the day:
b veggie soup/cereal/wlid blueberries/almond milk
l veggie soup/sweet potato
d veggie soup/black beans/salsa/kale medley/corn tortillas

calories: 1453
calorie density: 270
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

Re: Plant-based and starch centered...

Postby Bougainvillea » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:29 am

Well done!!!!!! I just thought I'd catch up on your journey, and it's been a while. Wow, so many changes. I'm proud of you for sticking with it, even when you weren't losing. Must have been driving you completely bonkers!

You said you're good at gardening, so I thought you might enjoy looking into becoming a master gardener, which is achieved by taking classes, usually through the local County Extension. I did it many years ago through a county that also partnered with a local university. That was in Oregon.

The classes are free, and then once you pass the exam (easy, peasy), you are officially a Master Gardener. And then, you work as a volunteer at either answering the phone somewhere answering people's questions about pests or whatever, and/or you go to Master Gardener events and workshops where people may bring in cuttings that show some type of pest damage and you help them figure out what to do about it, or to identify a plant, etc. Sometimes they have plant or tree giveaways and you do demonstrations and answer questions.

It was really fun. I did all of the above, but when I moved away, I got busy and didn't look into finding the local group.

Anyway, it seems like you'd pass the class easily, and you'd be a real treasure to have in your local group.

What you could do to find out about it locally for you, is Google "master gardeners" and your county name. Like for me here, it would be "master gardeners santa clara county, california."

I also really felt for you watching your husband go into the convenience store and buying a huge drink of liquid calories. Even though we haven't been perfect ourselves in the past, it's hard to watch our loved ones continue on a path you know is destructive. Guess we're like reformed smokers.

And it sounded like you really did great while traveling! Well done!

Oh, and I feel for you still dealing with the TOM. I'm so glad that's over. I always had severe ones, horrible cramps most months. Heating pads help. I did notice that it happened right when your husband got back from El Salvador, so it made me wonder if they can get worse with stress? Even when we love our hubbies, they do tend to add more work and stress to our lives. Just a thought.
Off meds/animal products 8/13/17, oil-free since 8/29/17
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Starting weight 8/13/17 : 204 lbs As of 2/14/18: 186 lbs
Bougainvillea

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals