Plant-based and starch centered...

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Plant-based and starch centered...

Postby roundcoconut » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:35 pm

for what it’s worth, i totally believe in you and think you will find or invent an upward spiral. just one tiny upward spiral is fine. maybe you take a ten minute walk — just sometthing to build on for an hour or a day. which upward spiral strategies can you use for a minute or a mealtime or a month?

if you can think of achievable little things you can task yourself with and then execute, that is beautiful.

picture yourself one hour from now saying to yourself, “ok! you got that under your belt. good for you.”
roundcoconut

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:29 pm

*edited for typos

When pride cometh, then cometh shame: ... Proverbs 11:2
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18

Yep, yep, yep.

I am so thankful that I can go back and see my journal posts from the past. It feels like a life-time ago. I did learn so much last time around (which was my 2nd or 3rd time around.) I've already learned more about myself this time.

I just spent some time reading my post about volume-eating. I can't believe I was eating that much food! My average for the last 2 mos (started again June 1) has been 3.6lb/day.

So, I shouldn't know that, right? I shouldn't be weighing my food, right? Technically, right. But, every time I have failed, it has been when I caved to the pressure that I "shouldn't" do what I do. Not coming out of the gate putting blame on anyone or anything. I have learned a lot about myself. After starting back to college Spring 2018, the biggest thing I've learned is that I live and breathe math and statistics. This is ME being ME.

I'm about to give TMI, so don't read on without considering that.

At this point in the game, I'm 55 years old. Married. Female. PERImenopausal (when will it end?). Currently, I'm trying to earn a BS in Math bc 30+ years ago I was more stupid than today. DS, 20yo, not living as raised (but a lot like his Momma was in her day). DD, 19yo, finding her way, getting ready to move an hour away to finish her last 2 years of college.

I have been obese (morbidly) my entire life. Weight charts say I should weight what I did when I was 11yo. Currently, I'm 5'5" and weigh 305lb. I believe in this way of eating (mostly for health and economy) and keep coming back to it. Honestly, my husband (5'6", 300lbs) means well trying to encourage with his mouth, but he does nothing to encourage with his life. In June, I lost 15 pounds. In June, he ate fast food for either breakfast OR dinner OR breakfast and dinner every day. In July, I lost 2lbs. In July, he ate fast food just as much as in June. First 3 days of August, eating clean, I've gained 2lbs. But, I refuse to quit on myself. In July, I ate more meals completely on plan (probably at least 2-4 good for every 1 bad-I can look up the stats), but as a volume eater, there is a HUGE price to pay (in calories) for eating ANYTHING off plan. I'm on BP and diuretic. As such, my gains/losses seem to sometimes lag. So, the current 2lbs up could be catch-up from July.

I realize I sound angry and maybe depressed. I find it beneficial to have these journals to come back to when I'm thinking more soundly to see how things progress. I've experienced a lot of roadblocks in my life. Facing a couple of big ones, right now. Still living, though, and working my way down the path. Glad there are others logging their ups/downs, as well. Don't mind being alone, sometimes. Just don't like feeling alone.
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

Postby Ruff » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:30 pm

Oh girl, do I hear you about menopause. Does it EVER end! I will be 57 in October.....and I think the hot flushes are getting fewer. I have thought this before though and they have picked up again.

Big kudos to you re the maths! I am inspired to start learning again. I do lots of great courses etc through the library, but I do so want to learn maths. I did not do well at school because I was not a good student. Lots of boring reasons for that but it’s the same as diet. At the end it’s up to us to do the stuff. Learning at school? Teachers teach but only students can learn and if the student (me!) chooses not too, then the result is obvious. Same as eating, we can read the knowledge, but what we actually put in our mouths is up to us.

So although I like maths, I didn’t actually get as far as high school algebra, and geometry! Recently I have been learning Latin by myself, but I can only get so far. Maybe I shall spend some time on maths this half year. That would be such fun.

And don’t worry about what ‘they’ say about weighing food etc. us numbers nerds...we like to see those figures, they are sort of comforting! :lol: I made pretty weight charts with a moving average line when I lost my big weight.....
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:36 am

08/04/19:
B - pear, wild rice, lentils
L - wild rice, lentils, chia seeds (1 T daily - for now), salsa, apple
D - lentils, wild rice, broccoli, cherries

08/05/19:
B - raw cabbage, apple, baked potato
L - wild rice, lima beans (cooked from dried), cooked mushrooms, salsa, pear
D - wild rice, lima beans, lentils, cherries

We're leaving on Thursday morning for a mini vacation. Looking forward to the break. Been considering how I want to handle the food. It will be our family of four. We will have microwave, coffee maker, and mini fridge in our room. That helps as much as I want it to. That means, I can stick to compliance as much as I am willing to despite what the rest of the family chooses. They have agreed, though, to eat oatmeal for breakfast in our room. I'll bring along various toppings to satisfy everyone. That's a win of sorts!

In reviewing what I've been eating, I think I'm ready to go next-level with my MWL. After returning from our trip, I'd like to do a Mary's Mini. I'm ready to stop the fruit. My life is about to become much more hectic during the day, so repetitiveness, simplicity, and monotony will be appreciated.

I've been including nuances of Fuhrman (more fruit and beans than necessary). I struggle with recognizing (via cronometer) that by eating starch heavy, I never get near the "required" vitamins and minerals listed. Still wrapping my head around that. I do know that my calories are consistently between 1200 and 1400 daily with >55g protein, <10g fat, and >40g fiber. I have a dr's appt in a couple of weeks. Kind of hoping she'll choose to draw blood and check levels against those at the beginning of the year.

Praying for another successfully compliant day!
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals