Plant-based and starch centered...

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

FRIDAY 11/10/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:04 pm

Decided to do a change-up on the journal. I will post my daily food, calories and calorie densities for the week on my future weigh-in posts.

This morning, I watched Doug Lisle's video from 10/19/17. What a blessing! I wish I had watched it the day it aired... might have spared me a couple days of frustration. But, having seen it in hindsight of my 3 weeks of no weight loss struggle and high amounts of stress, I think is better. Now, I can clearly see and relate to what he was talking about.

Reminder to myself... my body doesn't like stress... my mind doesn't like stress... my spirit doesn't like stress...

DEAL WITH THE STRESS!!

The veggie soup routine is working well. I realized yesterday that I am eating nearly 6 pounds of food spaced out in 3 meals!!! :eek: But, my calorie density is below 300 for the day (maybe for each meal, I'll have to check). It would be incredible to be able to keep this routine through the winter. I've been switching between white and sweet baked potatoes for lunch. Dinner is generally black bean tortillas, but I will randomly switch that around, as well. This morning, I swapped oatmeal for the cereal. Oatmeal hasn't set well with me, lately. I did okay with it this morning. It won't become a daily thing, though. Honestly, I like my cereal, fruit and almond milk breakfast. Eating veggie soup before allows for a very moderate portion as opposed to my days past where I'd eat a very big bowl... and, then just feel hungry again 30 minutes later.

Thank You, Lord, for an amazing day!
strivn2bhealthy

WEDNESDAY 11/15/17 WEEK 18 WEIGH-IN

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:51 pm

275 (-2,-47)
BP 132/77!! last night before bed, got a reading of 105/74!!

Food for the last week has been variations of this:
B veggie soup/spinach/cereal/wild blueberries/almond milk/1 T chia seeds
L veggie soup/spinach/ baked white OR sweet potato
D veggie soup/spinach/black OR pinto beans/salsa/spinach/corn tortillas

Weight(grams)/calories/calorie density:
Wed 2477/1518/278
Thu 2747/1648/272
Fri 2692/1485/250
Sat 2632/1547/267
Sun 2144/1345/285 (didn't have time to make more soup)
Mon 2845/1515/242
Tue 2165/1417/297 (ran out of soup again)

Another loss makes me happy! Whatever was going on for the 27 days of not losing... is over!

Weighing and measuring food is working well. A nice benefit is that I KNOW EXACT quantities to purchase of things and how long they will last me... good for our tight food budget. I'm going to compare price of purchasing pkgs of mixed veggies vs. buying the bags of individual veggies and mixing my own ratio. I can basically make the soup up frozen and store in a baggie. Then, to prepare, dump in a pot, add 1 can of tomatoes and 1 can of water and cook.

My Veggie Soup Recipe:
12 ounces mixed veggies (corn, green beans, carrots, peas)
1 - 14.5 ounce can diced, no-salt added tomatoes
1 - 14.5 ounce can water
227 g (1/2 lb) shredded cabbage (bagged coleslaw mix)
1/2 med-lg onion, chopped
1/2 lg pepper, chopped (i use ~100 grams of my frozen red peppers from the garden)
1 tablespoon minced fresh or water-packed garlic

Bring to a boil (takes me 10 minutes) and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off heat. I eat 1/3 pot before each starch portion of meal.

Makes about 3-1/2 pounds of soup @470 calories for the total pot.

As time goes on, I'm becoming more and more appreciative of eating the same foods over and over again. There is contentment and satisfaction in not having to spend large amounts of time contemplating what I SHOULD eat to be satisfied and ultimately get healthy. I'm not thinking about food all of the time.
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

Re: Plant-based and starch centered...

Postby CamiJb » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:31 am

Yay on the loss! Good for you!
You seem to really have this down!!
I cannot weigh or measure my food as it triggers my anorexia mindset...
But I know I am eating light enough right now.. My choices being so limited!'
I miss oatmeal, and fruit, and the sweet taste on my tongue but that only triggers sugar cravings...
I will be slowly reading all of your entries to get caught up.. Looking forward to watching your journey
I refuse to not complete this journey!
I WILL be my change!
CamiJb

WEDNESDAY 11/22/17 WEEK 19 WEIGH-IN

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:40 am

272 (-3,-50)
BP 136/96 ? (has been consistently in the 120s / 70s, idk the cause of the blip)

Food for the last week has been variations of this:
(have been swapping dinner and lunch sometimes)
B veggie soup/cereal OR oatmeal/wild blueberries/almond milk/1 T chia seeds
L veggie soup/spinach/ baked white OR sweet potato
D veggie soup/black beans/salsa/spinach/corn tortillas

Weight(grams)/calories/calorie density:
Wed 2696/1541/260
Thu 2801/1602/260
Fri 2139/1483/315
Sat 2018/1460/328
Sun 2023/1825/410 lost a pound on this food
Mon 2676/1718/291 lost a pound on this food
Tue 2500/1669/303 lost a pound on this food

Over the last 2 weeks, I have been working toward getting each meal in at a calorie density below 300 which automatically drives the total calorie density for the day below 300. If I can just think of meals as "recipes", I don't believe I will ever struggle with lack of variety. I realize that, to many, this is relatively easy to grasp. It is the premise of the MWL book... balance your starches with veggies to lose weight. But, how we personally adopt those principles and make them our own is so important. So, while I've "heard" the words while reading the book, I'm still working on making them my own with practical application. The veggie soup before my meals has changed everything. Trading the soup for salads in the summer seems easy enough. The trick will be with dressings. The soup "dilutes" my meal calories while increasing volume. That becomes a little trickier when adding dressings to salads. In the past, I've bounced between sweet and creamy versus the vinegar-based dressings. Since eating this way, I've developed a bit of an aversion toward the vinegar-based dressings. Sweetened, bean-based dressings are good, but there is a price to pay as they take away from the starch allotment that follows. In time, I'm sure I'll get this figured out.

Next topic is volume eating. I suspected this an issue for me, but since weighing and measuring after a season of not weighing and measuring, it became quite apparent. It makes sense to me. Without weighing and measuring, while eating the volume of food that was keeping me satiated, it was too easy to overdo calories even when freely consuming lower calorie density fruits and veggies. I really don't mind weighing and measuring. A light day of eating for me is 4.5lbs of food... a normal day is just under 6lbs of food... a heavy day is about 6.5lbs. To eat that quantity of food, consistently, means calorie density needs to remain very low. What this looks like is that I eat the same amount of veggie soup at each meal and adjust whatever starch I am eating to keep the calorie density less than 300.

For example:
533 g veggie soup (1/3 my recipe) balances with :

120 g smashed black beans
60 g spinach
60 g salsa
4 corn tortillas

OR

70 g grape nuts
70 g blueberries
12 g chia seeds (great way to offset omega 6 - my balance is nearly 1:1 daily)
140 g almond milk
4 g sugar (not always, sometimes just to kick up the sweetness of blueberries)

OR

112 oz ww pasta (cooks up to about 240 g)
180 g pasta sauce

OR

300-350 g baked white or sweet potato

Of course, who wants to fess up to being a volume eater? I've read that most people who eat large volumes of food don't usually have any larger stomach than the average person. The difference lies in their stomach's ability to stretch and shrink. There are some, however, who do have larger than average stomachs. So, here's an interesting tidbit of info... after our stillbirth, I visited high risk ob's for our next 2 babies. Lots of ultrasounds. I remember often joking about how both of our babies had larger than normal heads and stomachs. The way this comes up is when they measure to make sure growth is on target. Everything would be right on target EXCEPT that the head and stomach measurements were always 2 weeks ahead of everything else. They must have inherited those traits somewhere... I really don't know if that is a true correlation, but certainly an interesting one.

Now the questions floating around my head are... Can this be changed? Can I "shrink" the volume and remain satiated? Can I decrease volume while maintaining calories, thus increasing caloric density, slowly over time? Should I?

My biggest concern over this is the cost of the food. I know that our food costs have lowered substantially just by limiting variety of foods available... there really isn't any waste. A related positive note is that I can grow everything that I am eating... in some quantity. I can't grow all that I need for a full year, but I'm going to start working toward that goal with a few things. I believe we have enough space to do it, but maybe not enough space to properly store it all. For example, I have enough sweet potatoes to eat 1 or 2 every day until my stash will goes bad. I can grow enough onions for a full year, but will have to freeze and/or dehydrate about 75%. Same with the garlic. Still, these are certainly positives. And, it will renew my focus and drive in the garden... gardening with a more intense purpose!

Thank You, Lord Jesus, for leading me!
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

WEDNESDAY 11/29/17 WEEK 20 WEIGH-IN

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:52 am

272 (0, -50)
BP 130/80 RP 69

I thought I could...
I thought I could...

The last week didn't go as expected on any level or in any area of my life. But, such is the norm of my life. For Thanksgiving, it was just the four of us. We hadn't had any family time in a long while. Both of our kids work at the same grocery store. They both worked 8-2 on Tday. I had bought everything they had requested for their dinner. Knowing I wasn't going to have any help fixing the food, I made sure to have everything planned out for my own food "to make things easier." I ate breakfast and then started preparing their food at 8am, taking intermittent "breaks" from cooking to clean. I ate my lunch sort of "on the go" while working in the kitchen. Dinner was done and on the table by 4. I was exhausted! We sat down to eat and it was so nice for the four of us to be sitting around the table together. Laughter and chit chat around the table has been sorely missed! That was great!

Not so great? ... my weakness through tiredness. I had plans to do it right. But, really, all I had was pride that I could it right.

Proverbs 11:2 When pride cometh, then cometh shame: ...
Proverbs 29:23 A man's pride shall bring him low: ...

Okay, so I know a lot of the previous sounds depressive. It's not really. I am doing all that I can to learn about myself... the traps and pitfalls that snag me one way or another. Tiredness... a familiar antagonist to who I want to be. Most often, it is tiredness that leaves me feeling too weak to fight. Tiredness led to the only car accident I've been responsible for in 35 years of driving. Tiredness led me to sex before marriage with the man I knew I would marry against a lifelong belief against it. Tiredness has led to surrender so often that it has become TOO often. Right now, tiredness is screaming "YOU ARE GOING UNDER... JUST LET THE AIR OUT AND THE WATER IN!"

NOPE! Not gonna' happen!

This is what is about to happen...
Friday evening... attending the husband's work party at a country club (not who I've been!)
Sunday evening... attending a dressy Christmas party (not who I've been!)
January... taking college classes (not who I've been!)
February-March... looking for a part-time job that will work around my family, day job, school, and church (not who I've been!)
ongoing... eating healthier and choosing to live instead of just survive (not who I've been!)

A few skirmishes and battles might be lost... but, staying engaged until the war is over is the only way to ever experience victory.

My focus: In this war, stop relying on self! I am not alone!

Psalm 73:26 My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

Postby astirle » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:26 am

My goodness just had to write, 50 pounds!!
Wow. I would struggle to lift 50 pounds and now you are no longer carrying it around every day.
Fantastic work, you are on the way to the inevitable energy from releasing that weight!
Sending you best wishes :)
On the quest for resilience
astirle

Postby roundcoconut » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:13 am

i just wanted to let you know that i like what you’re doing — your path seems smart and fun and fresh! i am excited to see where this leads, and like the idea of you staying on course. you seem to be doing so many things right, and the forecast seems excellent.

knowing about traps and pitfalls is genius. yes yes yes!

all my kindness and support! picture me sending encouragement and joy to just the times and places where it can be best used. :)
roundcoconut

SATURDAY 12/02/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:00 am

@astirle and @roundcoconut Thank you both for the encouragement at just the right time!

I survived the husband's work Christmas party last evening. For the first time in about 10 years, I wore thick, chunky 3" heels. I'm still too heavy for that, but they were, quite honestly, the only shoes I found that fit well enough to get me through a few hours. Haven't been in an environment like that in many, many years. I thought it would be overwhelming. It wasn't. It was a little uncomfortable once everyone got their fill of free alcohol... including my husband. We had an interesting conversation in the car on the way home. I was very honest with him about how the evening fared. I enjoyed it on a certain level. Definitely would have enjoyed it more if he wasn't drunk. He wants us to do more things together. My rebuttal was that it wasn't worth spending time together when he wouldn't remember it. He would only remember that he "felt good." I, on the other hand, would only be left with memories of him , talking too loudly, incessantly repeating himself, and introducing me to the same people over and over again. But, no worries, they won't remember that, either. He assured me that he would remember the conversation. So, today will be the test of that. Likely, we will repeat the conversation. And, likely, next chance he has to drink to excess, he will. It isn't often at all. But, it's related to the rare noteworthy and (should-be) memorable events we have these days. I married him because I love him... the sober person. His coworkers like him... the sober person. Why would he feel the need to drink himself into oblivion? I'm guessing along the same kinds of reasoning that the other 30 or so drunk people felt their own need to drink.

I'm continuing to learn more about myself as I face the emotions dredged up in these situations. In the past, I would certainly feel like I'm a failure because I can't make those around me happy. Now, I'm beginning to understand the responsibility each individual has for their own well-being.

I want to remember this conversation I had with my daughter earlier this week. The underlying message fits here, I believe.

My daughter doesn't clean her room. I'm not talking typical teen with a messy room. I'm talking no clear space on the floor to walk. Food wrappers, dishes, clothes, makeup, art supplies, etc, ankle deep over the whole floor. I opened her closet and found the piles nearly thigh-high. She gets angry that we want her room clean. I've expressed that we are responsible to take care of the house we live in. We don't want bugs. We don't want needless trash piling up bc she doesn't want to throw it away. Her response was that "it's my room and I should be able to keep it as I like. My stuff brings me comfort. You shouldn't want to make me suffer." Wow!

She's been asking for a while now, will we buy her a weighted blanket if she lives on-campus for college. Aha! ((Mom has a light bulb moment ;) )

I get the desire for a weighted blanket... the warmth and comfort it brings when it envelopes a person. My daughter looking for comfort in piles and piles of stuff is just like the idea of the weighted blanket. Only, she isn't seeing the difference. Surrounding herself with all of the physical stuff is weighing her down in a very negative way. What she thinks is comfort is dead weight. Surrounding herself with junk isn't making her happy. It's bringing out the most negative self-view. She doesn't respect herself the way she should and is allowing others to treat her disrespectfully, as well. Unfortunately, I'm pretty confident that she has learned this degree of self-loathing from me. But, I think I have found the bargaining chip to help her feel what it is to have the negative weight lifted... to experience a new type of freedom. She is a fantastic artist and has lost her space to create her art. Her supplies are strewn about where she can see them, but can't use them. I'm thinking to offer a weighted blanket in place of the weighted junk. To help her experience joy in giving to others what she is done using... such as lots and lots of clothes that don't fit any more. To help her find the space to work on her art again. A place for her photography, also. She doesn't have to have a spotless room... but, a room with dedicated spaces for expressing the many faceted aspects of her personality would be great. She can have organized chaos (piles of things in dedicated spaces) without the putrid junk "quicksanding" it all away. I'm willing to let her do it on her own or help a little at a time. The goal is to help her reclaim areas that are stagnating. I don't know in reading this, if anyone can appreciate what I'm talking about. There is a lot more in the background... evidence that supports how she is viewing herself and allowing others to disrespect her. This is an area I have grown in a lot over the last year. I don't want to impose my growth on her, but let her experience a taste of something different than what she has been swallowing at home before she leaves our home for good.

Whole body health encompasses many avenues.
Last edited by strivn2bhealthy on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
strivn2bhealthy

Postby roundcoconut » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:32 pm

Oh dear! The issues your daughter seems to be dealing with, are not easy AT ALL.

The path forward is probably quite simple, but definitely not easy. The “simple” path probably has something to do with determining some boundaries that you feel are appropriate, and also determining how you can be ready for her when she is ready to change, without “chasing a drunk” around and begging her to change.

But it is a superduper emotional thing! In my own life, i always had a tumultuous relationship with my mother, and once when I was about 32, I got in touch with my mother after cutting her out of my life for eight or nine years. She had developed overspending problems and hoarding problems. She too had rooms in her house that were piled high with things that she could not enjoy and was unable to access. It was really, really difficult to see.

In the end, I did not have enough of a position in this woman’s life to be of any use to her, but you DO have a position in your daughter’s life. I don’t know if some type of Al-Anon wisdom would be of use to you, but I HAVE done some Al-Anon reading from time to time and found it wise and straightforward.

This Earth stuff is bananas, isn’t it? Your daughter will not change until she is ready, and if she DOES change, she will do it under her own power. In the mean time, you offer YOURSELF the kindness and support you need to feel good about yourself and to be effective at your course of action.

All kindness in your direction! :)
roundcoconut

MONDAY 12/04/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:39 am

@roundcoconut - Thanks for throwing out the caution! I'm still evaluating the situation. But, your words reminded me that is it always better to think and act instead of just react to any situation.

I survived the second party last night! :nod: I knew it would go better because I was around people that I love and love me back. Some of these friends I've known as long as my husband. A few know about the background stresses of Friday evening, so they were also supportive of me dressing last night in similar fashion to Friday evening. They saw my post on fb. They knew I'd want to wear those clothes more than once to justify the purchase. I was the most dressed up last night (another not who I've been moment), but didn't feel overdressed. Some were in jeans, slacks, skirts and dresses... it was fun to know everybody was comfortable "being" themselves!

My eating on Friday was spot on. A salad without dressing and a baked potato. The dinner served at the Country Club was a smorgasbord of meat, roasted veggies, salad and bread. Not going to lie... we were sitting right by the prime rib serving station and it smelled rather nice. The person sitting next to me, had a beautifully prepared hunk of pink salmon. Others remarked how fantastic the chicken tasted. The company obviously wanted it known that they weren't skimping on their employees. Dessert was a chocolate mint torte. Everything looked and smelled fantastic (yes, I'm still that close to the "old days")! But, I was so happy and content to be satisfied with the salad, potato and conversation.

Last night... well, not going to lie. There was an appetizer spread. There was a dessert spread. And, then there was the main meal... a beautiful pork crown roast prepared by a friend that is a gourmet chef, roasted potatoes with fresh rosemary sprigs, and glazed carrots. It's a very good thing that I've never been a real fan of pork bc it looked amazing! Candies were strewn all around as party decorations for the grabbing. These friends are forgiving friends who (mostly) are familiar with the struggle I've had to ever lose any weight. Most do not know yet, however, exactly how I'm losing the weight these days. Our host is a close friend that is a doctor. I haven't even let him or his wife know what I'm specifically doing. He has been (on his own) studying out nutrition bc he and others at church are exercise enthusiasts who like to keep trim and healthy. I don't know, though, how he feels about vegan vs a rounded diet. I've been hoping to postpone the talk until my weight loss and health are a little more undeniable.

So, what I ate (without mind games or internal struggle).... about 1 cup each roasted potatoes and carrots (yes, there was butter), 3 large fresh broccoli spears, 4 large green olives (stuffed with jalapeno and garlic) and 6 crackers (from the appetizer spread). For dessert, I ate about 3/4 cup of fresh blueberries. The major indiscretions were 4 candies (white playing white elephant), a small (about 6 oz) cup of an ice cream and coffee drink and 2 cheesecake bites. Considering I only ate half my normal food for breakfast and lunch, I won't berate myself. I expected a sugar headache this morning after the rush I got last night. Honestly, no headache and no ill effects at all except the scale was up 1 pound. ***In re-reading this, I realize how excessive the sugar intake really was. Not my norm. But, I also know that there wasn't any degree of pleasure derived from it. Generally, I am not a big sugar-eater. That may be where the lack of breakfast and lunch food volume reared its head. But, I have no craving or desire for any more sugar.***

We are in a money crunch and I've slowly run out of almost all of my food except potatoes. I will put out the money for more white potatoes and continue eating from my stash of sweets. I believe the monotony of food for the next week-and-a-half will fare me well to cleanse the palate and stabilize sugar.

I'll need some stability as the weather continues to be crazy. Yesterday was nearly 70, it has been incredibly windy all night and this morning with only slighter cooler temps. But, by weeks end, there is a prediction of snow flurries :eek: ! Yep, we live in the midwest! The little one that I watch during the week, had his eardrum rupture last week... as the temp and pressure kept changing, he would have episodes of pain. He couldn't sleep at night or for naps without waking up multiple times. All ages struggle! Allergies (normally relieved by the freezing temps once leaves have fallen) are off the chart for several friends. Flu bugs are making their way around. More determination to eat this way and continue anticipating and experiencing the benefit of better health!
strivn2bhealthy

WEDNESDAY 12/06/17 WEEK 21 WEIGH-IN

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:22 am

272 (0, -50)
BP 149/92 !!

Reminder to self... AGAIN...

Reminder to myself... my body doesn't like stress... my mind doesn't like stress... my spirit doesn't like stress...

DEAL WITH THE STRESS!!

The double whammy is being a stress eater. The biological processes can't run very smoothly when stress hormones are raging. Couple that with the desire to overeat on ANYTHING, whether healthy or not, and you should not expect weight loss. It does, however, make the perfect recipe for higher blood pressure.

This is a season. It might look and feel like a harsh winter, but, it is just a season. The sun is still shining behind the thick and tempestuous clouds. The seeds are resting in the ground before they burst open with life in the next season.

I will stop whining and crying. I am blessed! I am alive, still down 50lbs and, I have to believe, a lot healthier today than 5 months ago.
Seasons change and time marches forward!
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

WEDNESDAY 12/13/17 WEEK 22 WEIGH-IN

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:56 am

272 (0, -50)
BP 153/91 <this speaks louder to me than weight

Yesterday was our 25th wedding anniversary. We went out to dinner. Not wfpb. It was deliberate. My husband needed THAT expression of love. We did have fun and laughed a lot... mostly at ourselves for trying to take a selfie that turned into about 6 bad pics... eyes closed... chopped head shot, etc.

I'm struggling with all food. But, I think I've found out something else about myself. It will seem contrary to what I'm about to type, but I'm grasping. As of this morning, I am back to eating canned beans for breakfast (for a few days at least). I believe this is a better way to start my day as opposed to eating cereal (grape nuts with blueberries). I need a re-set of some sort. But, what I've figured out is that I'm struggling with too much cooked food, right now.

When I started mwl in July, I was eating mostly fresh from the garden. I ate between a pound and two of fresh cucumbers each day. I also ate between a pound and two of fresh from the garden watermelon or cantaloupe. Now, I'm eating all cooked food. I appreciate that my body is craving FRESH and RAW food! I have to stop being lazy and get my microgreens growing! I will be rotating them every 12 days. I already have the seeds.

So, regarding the stress... beginning in January, we will be losing between $400 and $600/mo. Our current food budget for 4 people (myself, husband, 19yo son and 17yo daughter) is currently $500/mo. It's about to get real tricky, but I will hold steady with my faith. We need to make it until May when I can work whatever I can get to help reduce the burden. I am going to attempt getting a part-time job in January (worst timing) for just 1-2 evenings/week until schedule changes in June. Lord-willing there is something. I only need a foot in the door.

I head back to school in January taking 2 classes. I'm still watching the little one full-time during the day which gives us just enough room for me to be home so that the kids can do school and work with just sharing our 2 cars. Speaking of which... our 2003 impala is going out... we think the transmission is about to die. It has over 225k miles and has been a very good car. We were just hoping to make it until both kids had cars. The daughter is hoping to get a car within the next month if she can find one cheap enough. The son is still saving, but a lot slower than daughter. Looks like the garden will be more important than ever before!

So, while I'm typing this (and shivering in the cold), I realize that it is too cold. The thermostat shows that the furnace should be running at 66 degrees and it is 58 degrees in the house. Sigh... one more thing...
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

WEDNESDAY 12/20/17 WEEK 23 WEIGH-IN

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:00 pm

RESET
280 (-42)
bp 152/93 pulse 80
bp (a few min later) 137/89 pulse 80

Life is spiraling. Stress and volume eater. Truly a bad pairing. Blood pressure is up which is not a surprise. Sodium is oozing from my pores. I'm owning the 8lbs of weight gain. A portion of that is water retention from the sodium. I have always been a volume eater, but not a binge eater. Lately, though, I feel like I could start eating a particular food and not stop eating it. It is not the single source of weight gain, but almost. Unfortunately, this is one of those battles where I'm on my own. It is a newer food that the rest of the family wants as a staple going forward. I don't get to "remove it from the premises" so as to not make it a temptation. I'm going to have to put on the big girl panties and learn to spend hours alone in the house knowing that "it" is right there in the pantry. Waaaa! :cry:

I'm sitting here typing this and the postman dropped off 3 packages. They are from my parents... 2 packages are for the daugther and the other (I was told ahead of time) is for me. Yeah, well, the other package is a five-gallon canister from the Popcorn Factory.

I'm hoping that that package IS NOT the one they were referring to... not because I'm being greedy for a gift. Rather, it would be uncharacteristic of my parents to not support me in my efforts to change. Unless, they just weren't thinking or forgot.

I'm reading through "How Not to Die". I sincerely hope I can regain some strength and stamina. In my 8lbs of weight-gain-eating, the food(s) would mostly count as vegetarian/vegan... just not pure whole food, plant-based. There has been white rice and white spaghetti bc that is what I have. I have lots of sweet potatoes, but, while I do really like them, I cannot eat them for every meal or even every day. I have tried time and again and they just don't sit well with me in that quantity. It's almost as if I build up a toxicity of some sort to them. (Probably not true at all, but it does feel that way.)

In NO way am I giving up. I have to keep consciously choosing this way of eating toward better health. The book is encouraging. To change 50+ years of bad habits takes time... and I have the rest of my life to keep learning to choose wiser!
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

WEDNESDAY 01/03/18 WEEK 25 WEIGH-IN

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:47 pm

279 (-1,-43)
Still hanging on by a wispy thread...
Last edited by strivn2bhealthy on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
strivn2bhealthy

Postby astirle » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:54 am

New year new start!
Don't forget you already released 40+ pounds so you're a veteran now.
Besides - the alternative of *not* eating this way is surely not going to give a health improvement.
All the best for your 2018 journey don't give up :)
On the quest for resilience
astirle

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals