Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:36 am

I have decided to start a new journal as I feel today is a new beginning for me. I have learned much, but have much more to learn. My ideas and thoughts have changed greatly since I found this WOE over a year ago. I have not had as much progress the past 10 months and feel as if I have "rested on my laurels" from my somewhat early success.

The things I did yesterday will not help me today. Each day I have to bring with me the knowledge and behavior of this new lifestyle. While I don't wish to be "different", the fact is that I am different. I am unable to eat "junk" food in any amount. Period. Now I just need to define junk food. I think Jeff N says it well, C.R.A.P. (calorie rich and processed). I think I can easily define those items as junk food and not to be eaten. I am unable to eat process "food-like" items. While others might be able to, seemingly without problem (or with problem), I am not able to. No more bites or just a few for me. The triggers I get from just one little bite are not worth it. In reading my first journal and thinking back, I stopped most of my real progress around the holidays. Here is my first journal - My Old Journal.

So I have done okay, but I desire to do better. My goal of 178 is not that crazy and if anything is a little on the high side. I have plenty of flab at my current weight of 214.2. Even when I was recently under 200, I still had plenty to spare. Today, I start fresh. I will follow the suggestions from the book, The Starch Solution and my food will be 70% Starch, 20% Vegetables and 10% Fruit. I will get off my rear and move around. I will weigh in every Saturday and post my results. I will do my best to post daily food and exercise. I will also start checking my blood sugar in the morning and posting that. I plan to follow my own example from my old journal but without the idea that I can eat like normal people once in a while.

If at any time I seem to not be posting, feel free to send me a message here or on Facebook. Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook, just let me know who you are. https://www.facebook.com/johnlarson66 Feel free to comment on my journal or make suggestions or whatever. The people here are a big reason this works. I have to remember that I am not alone.

I hope to get to know many of you better while we trudge the Road of Happy Destiny...

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Re: Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:45 am

I also wanted to post my weight tracker chart -

My Weight Chart:
>

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby kkrichar » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm with you!!

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby JT of PA » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:39 pm

John,

All the best as you start this new part of your journey.

Thank You for all the support and kindness you have extended my way this past year.

-John
JT of PA

Postby ceekaye » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Your journal has helped me a lot...thanks for that.
Rock on John!! 8)
Christina~

ceekaye

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:46 pm

10/15/13

BS: did not test

B: 1/2c oatmeal w/banana & honey
D: (sushi restaurant) salad, soup, sushi (some fish)

E: sit-ups - 20; push-ups - 20, 20, 10; treadmill - 1h

I had a late lunch at a sushi buffet. I ate all sorts of sushi, next time I go there I am going to ask them to make more vegetable sushi for me, they do take requests as what to put on the buffet. Which I didn't know until I was full. While I ate some sushi that was not on-plan, I do feel that I avoided junk food and feel that what I ate promoted good health. I also (so far) have avoided snacking tonight. I will be going back to the sushi place. Heck I might go tomorrow. I am 100% sure I can eat on-plan there. While the sushi I make on Sundays is decent, I like the restaurant sushi better.

I went with my type2 friend, he is struggling with depression lately. I shared with him my thoughts that I truly have an eating disorder. I also told him about the last two evenings and how I have been rationalizing and justifying eating CRAP. Now, have I rationalized eating meat today? Maybe I have. I can say I feel pretty good.

While on the treadmill, I watched a Dr. Lislie video on YouTube put on by the VSH (Vegetarian Society Hawaii) from 2005. It was very good. I have not read his book and really have all sorts of other reading going on, but I got much out of what he said. I think I will try to find other talks.

The woman who I share an office with recently watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead recently and has started juicing in the mornings. I just recently told her that I did not eat meat or dairy, so that was cool. I suggested FoK.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:24 am

10/16/13

BS: 114

L: 4 small potatoes w/peas & carrots
D: (chinese buffet) kimshi, veggie sushi

E: push-ups 20, sit-ups 20, treadmill 30min

I woke up early and did the treadmill. I am really really going to do my best to have this start my day.

I had a pretty busy day and I am learning how to use my time better. While the start of my day was good, when I got to work, I decided to ride my motorcycle up on a little grass hill to turn into a parking spot, instead of backing in like I normally do. Very stupid, it is not a dirt bike. So I tipped over. I am a little stiff, but more embarrassed and upset than hurt. There are some scuffs on the saddle bag. I was able to lift it up, which I learned how to do after the bike almost tipped over with the kickstand being in the grass, but the bike is very heavy and was still on a grass hill when I got it up and I had to back it up. Of course I was wearing dress pants and dress shoes.

Still lots to learn at work, being the new guy and not being the boss is something I need to get used to. I do enjoy it.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby kkrichar » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:44 am

Sorry about falling down in your work clothes and being sore. That sucks. This is totally not the same sitch but I thought it might give you a chuckle. Last winter I was running with a head lamp after dark. The music I normally run with is on an mp3 player built into the stem of my sunglasses. So, in order to run after dark with music (which I don't do anymore) I had to take the lenses out of the sunglasses (I don't have clear lenses to substitute). I was running with my head lamp and my sunglasses with no lenses and a metronome clipped to my jacket and a timer gadget that beeps for walk breaks and a little fanny-type-pack with my inhaler and chapstick and my Garmin GPS watch. I was loaded up like a little pony and looked like the clown that rides it. So, I'm cruising down a hill toward an intersection. I have the green light so I zipped across the street in front of a big line of cars stopped at the light. When I got to the other side of the street I didn't pick my foot up enough and it sort stubbed on the sidewalk. Because I was running it just launched me into the air. I was flying all superman-style (literally, arms straight out, body parallel to the ground) until I belly-flopped onto the sidewalk. One of my shoes fell off. I sat up and all the people in the cars were trying not to make eye contact. I think they assumed I had escaped from some sort of institution. Fortunately, it was cold out so I was wearing gloves and long sleeves and long pants. I still got bruised and scraped a little but it would have been much worse if I hadn't been all clothed up. Anyhoo, I put my shoe back on and ran like the wind to escape my audience. It was SO embarassing. I was sore for a few days after that too. It happens to the best of us.

Your food looks great! I'm down to a half cup of oatmeal in the morning too. I used to eat 3/4 cup. Then went down to 2/3 cup and now half. I just don't need any more than that lately. I also add banana and blueberries.

Have a good day.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby JT of PA » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:56 am

John,

Thank You for reaching out to so many people in their journals. I read a lot of these and I keep seeing truthful encouragement from you to many.

I think of you as everyone's big brother here on the board. :-D

Remembering you in thought and prayer with the new job and this new chapter in your life.

All the best,
John

JT of PA

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:36 pm

10/17/13

D: tomato, onion & cucumber; potatoes, frozen veggies
S: popcorn

E: sit-ups 0, push-ups 10, treadmill 30min

Really sore from picking up the bike the day before. I might have hurt my back. Besides that, life is good.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:43 pm

10/18/13

L: (sushi restaurant) salad, soup, veggie sushi
D: (Ruby Tuesday) salad bar, potato, broccoli, green beans

E: sit-ups 0, push-ups 5, 15 (on knees), treadmill 0

Slept in, real real sore. Hope to feel better tomorrow. A little concerned. Might need to take an aleave or something. Back and left shoulder hurt when I move. I think it will get better. Work is going well. Learning lots.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:55 pm

I wanted to acknowledge those that have posted, thank you for being part of my journey. I have been so crazy busy that I have just posted my daily stuff.

kkrichar - your journal was the first to catch my attention, your openness and honesty has inspired me. It is good to know a fellow friend of Bill W. here.

JT of PA - I enjoy your journal, you are doing great. As far as the big brother thing goes, I am just trying to follow the example of Norm, geo, and Dissolution. They have impacted my journey more than I can put into words.

ceekaye - the journal section has helped me more than I can ever repay. I am humbled that mine has helped you.

There are so many others that have helped me on the way. I still have a ways to go, but I am feeling much better about the path I am on. I truly feel that I am not alone.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby Lizzy_F » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:54 am

Hi John! I too am trudging. :) I'm glad to begin following your new journal. Congratulations on the success you have already enjoyed with this program! I too love Jeff N.'s "CRAP" acronym and a thought rolling through my head the last few days (I'm an alcoholic turned addiction counselor) has been "Be careful! There's a CRAP dealer on every corner!" :) I'm guessing from your journal title you might be able to relate LOL!

I can also relate to you talking about the ways we justify stuff. I have to be careful about trusting what's in my own head when it comes to stuff like CRAP.

I am curious about your blood glucose monitoring. I don't have diabetes (yet) and have not been diagnosed with pre-diabetes (yet) but it runs in my family. Sometimes when I take BG readings at home they are very wonky. I'm wondering what your situation is (if you don't mind sharing) and what changes you have seen in BG following this plan. It seems popular these days for people to push low carb for BG control. Obviously Dr. M and others like Neal B see it differently. I'm going with it but also am interested in hearing about first hand experience.

Have a wonderul day!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:41 am

Lizzy_F My BS readings have been 100-125 in the mornings. Before this WOE it was rare I was under 200. When I first started I this WOE and went off my medication I was 160-180 in the mornings. My A1C before this WOE was 11.5. After four months it was 7.5 and after one year it was 6.5. My doctor and I both believe that with a little more progress my A1C can get in the normal range of 5.5. I still have plenty of weight to lose.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:47 am

10/19/13 Weigh-in Day! Going in the right direction.

BS: 104

B: 1/2c oatmeal w/honey
L: sloppy joes made with Boca crumbles on ww buns
D: homemade veggie sushi
S: fat free pringles

E: no exercise - still sore

Stayed fairly busy on Saturday. Went grocery shopping and bought some boca vegan burgers and crumbles. Also bought a can of fat free pringles, I need to make some chips with my top chip, just so busy.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals