Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:38 am

I have not posted on here for quite a while and I certainly have not been keeping up with any sort of journal. I have barely even been on Facebook. Here is what I recently posted on Facebook -

"Weight sure comes on easier than it goes off. My SAD Easter weekend has me back to a different belt hole. I also decided to weigh myself this morning. I knew I was messing up and have been on the edge for a few weeks. I have been in the "not quite 100%" or "almost 100%" mindset for a little over a month.

I don't like being in "diet" mode, but I also don't like being fat. I am back to weighing in, logging meals, and journaling.

I also started today with telling my co-worker that I share an office with, "No more donuts". She replied, "I have been trying to stop you." :)

Until a few weeks ago, I had stayed clear of the donuts here at work, but I had been doing so good...

I am still doing good. My dress pants fit just fine. I am still in my 34" Levi 501's. I could probably use that last belt hole if I really wanted to. I have lost my focus and have gotten way too loose with my eating. I have to get honest with this type of behavior, in the past I have caused much harm "falling off the wagon". I also know for me, posting about this type of thinking helps me stay on plan."

The last time I was on the scale was March 1st, I was 218.8. I didn't get on the scale after that, even though I was going to weigh myself April 1st. I think I knew then I hadn't been progressing like I should be, even though I was able to fit into some old clothes. My weight has shifted away from my legs, but in my gut. These past six weeks I have not been following this WOE 100%, not even close to 100%, I will trick myself into thinking I am doing good and somehow have deserved to eat SAD. I didn't do too much damage, but I certainly have been going the wrong way. This Easter weekend was full of SAD eating. Yesterday, I got back on plan. This mornings weigh in was 226.5. I am not happy with that, but it could have easily been over 230.

I cooked up a batch of Spicy Brown Rice (with some white rice also), I have plenty of frozen vegetables and salad makings. I have plenty of potatoes. My wife is also cutting back on snack food, so no chips are in the house. I might make some TopChips, but I really like Air Frying French fries. I like eating this way. I just like eating, period.

I am going on vacation May 17th, for two weeks, and will be seeing friends and family. I will be eating with many different people in many different situations. I will be making some choices. I also know that there will be some situations where I will have small servings of SAD, especially at my Grandmothers and my Moms. I will also be going out to eat. I really need to take advantage of these next few weeks to be 100% on MWL and avoid all SAD items, which is really non-food. For me to be strong on the road and social situations, I need to be strong at home and while eating alone.

I hope I don't forget how I feel right now. Lots of prayers yesterday and today.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:48 am

W: 226.5
BS: n/a

Yesterday's food:

L: whole wheat spaghetti, steamed zucchini and mushrooms in red sauce.
D: leftovers from lunch, carrots, pickles, and pickled okra.
S: carrots, pickles, and pickled okra.
S; Spicy Rice (just a small sample, I cooked up some late to have for the work week)

Yesterday's exercise:

None

I didn't eat a salad or any steamed vegetables yesterday and found myself hungry late last night. It could also be that I have been eating late while out of town for Easter. I know my blood sugar is a little high (most likely more than a little high) because I have had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. I will start checking it in the morning and posting. I haven't been taking any medication for my type 2 diabetes, but maybe should have been while eating so much SAD. I will check it today before lunch and if I need a shot I will take one. I am not a big fan of the metformin, but I might need to take it for a few days. I also might start eating a little breakfast. It is 10:45 am and I am hungry. It could be for the past few days I had been eating in the morning. I think what would be good is to get up early, exercise and eat breakfast. I have struggled with the whole exercise thing...

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:41 am

Wt; 229 (I was expecting this number yesterday - surprised to see it today - I hate the scale)
BS: 210 (I took my meds last night - it was well over 300 before bed)

Yesterday's food:

L - salad, spicy rice
D - salad, steamed vegetables. spicy brown rice, jasmine rice
S - carrots, pickles, pickled okra

Yesterday's exercise:

None

I hate the scale. I know it goes up and down and weighing daily isn't a true picture of what is going on. I also know when I weigh daily, I am more apt to stay on track. I also gave myself a shot this morning. I will check my BS before lunch, but most likely will be giving myself a shot then and taking the metformin. I have to be a little careful, because it is easy to go too low. Being low is scary.

I am doing my best to stay positive this morning. I really want to start exercising, but I am staying up too late. Today, I will go to bed at a decent time. I might even go for a run this evening. We shall see.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby Ejeff » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:30 am

Hi John. Remember that perseverance and persistence are the keys to success. Just never give up. If you are hungry even if it’s not at a meal time eat some fruit or a potato. A cold potato with just some mustard is very tasty. As for exercise don’t stress about it, instead just get out for a 5 minute walk. If you just get up and move even for 5 minutes quite often that will become 10. Three 10 minute walks a day is exercise. Sometimes over thinking causes A person to take no action because it feels overwhelming. :)

As for weighing, I believe the recommendation from Jeff Novick is once per week. Perhaps you could try that schedule for a couple months and get into a good routine to help with accountability.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:33 pm

Ejeff wrote:Hi John. Remember that perseverance and persistence are the keys to success. Just never give up. If you are hungry even if it’s not at a meal time eat some fruit or a potato. A cold potato with just some mustard is very tasty. As for exercise don’t stress about it, instead just get out for a 5 minute walk. If you just get up and move even for 5 minutes quite often that will become 10. Three 10 minute walks a day is exercise. Sometimes over thinking causes A person to take no action because it feels overwhelming. :)

As for weighing, I believe the recommendation from Jeff Novick is once per week. Perhaps you could try that schedule for a couple months and get into a good routine to help with accountability.

I agree about the not giving up. I also like the cold potato and mustard suggestion. My issue is mostly social situations and work situations. The work stuff is easier. I do good eating at home.

I need to make exercise a priority. Getting up early isn't a bad thing. It really is a matter of how important it is. Staying up late isn't good for me. I do agree that doing a little is the best way to start.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:08 pm

W: 227.5
BS: n/a

Yesterdays's Food:

L - salad, vegetables, red potatoes
D - broccoli, jasmine rice, spicy brown rice
S - carrots and cucumber

Yesterday's Exercise:

1 hour treadmill (a little over 3 miles)

The past weekend I ate a little SAD. Monday thru Friday were good. I am starting this week of with a renewed resolve to follow this WOE 100%, which I am quite capable of doing. I think I will get down under 220 fairly quickly. I have a colonoscopy on Friday and will follow MWL until that. I most likely will follow MWL after that also. I have been drinking lots of water.

I did good today, had a few hurdles. Tuesday and Thursday are "Donut Days" at the office. I woke up early and didn't go back to sleep after going to the gym. Monday I took a 45 minute nap. In a little over 2 weeks I am going on a 15 day motorcycle adventure to the Midwest, I plan on some early morning departures and some long days. The plan is to start getting up early and going to bed at a decent time. I will be the guest at several different households and I expect I will be served SAD items or even items that people believe that are healthy. The meals I purchase will be on plan. I will have to make a few choices. I wanted to be under 200 before I left for this trip. Maybe I will be under 200 when I return.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby MtnMike » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:07 am

George Nory is interviewing Dr. McDougall on Coast2Coast this Wednesday, January 22. Hope you can catch it!
MtnMike

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals