Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:34 am

BS: 233
Wt: 233.2

E: none

Yesterday's food:

L: rice and veggies
D: salad, bean burgers and fries, banana and strawberries smoothie

I am up a little bit, I am not that concerned about it. I would have liked it to have been lower. Today I will have some friends and family over to celebrate my birthday and to watch football. We will have a taco bar.

My father passed away this morning. He had been in bad health for quite a few years and in a nursing home. 73 seems way too young. I will be traveling to Nebraska soon for his funeral. I saw him last August. His Parkinson's had progressed. I am glad he is mo longer suffering.

It is going to be a strange day today. I am going to make sure I stay focused on the present.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:48 am

I am so sorry for your loss.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Michele613 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Well John I am sorry that birthday was surrounded by your father's passing. I can appreciate the fact that you are comforted that your father is no longer in pain. Maybe you can light a remembrance candle on your birthdays from now on and celebrate his life as you come to more fully appreciate healthy eating to lengthen yours. All the best....have a successful and healthy week of eating.
Michele613

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:30 am

BS: 232
Wt: 233.7

E: 1hr treadmill, 30min work out

Yesterday's food:

L: spicy broccoli brown rice
D: two tacos (corn tortillas), taco bowls with beans, rice, potatoes, lettuce and onions

I did have a bite of birthday cake, it did not trigger me to eat any more as I was very focused on staying on plan. I am up a half of pound. I am not too concerned, but I am a little bothered. I fully expected to be under 233 this morning. I need to keep my expectations in check. I know I am on the right path. I did have to put another hole in my belt. I also tried on my 34" waist levi 501 jeans. Can't quite get the top button closed. If I really really had to close it I could have. I am amazed they fit over my thighs. They are right. I told my wife that they will fit when we get back from Nebraska on the 23rd for my father's funeral.

We had a full house or friends and family over for my birthday and to watch football. Started the day with news that my father passed away this morning. Stayed very busy. His health had been failing for quite a while and since November it was just a matter of when. I will be going to Nebraska on the 22nd his service.

I joined Planet Fitness today, I had been going as my wife's guest but she doesn't want to go every day or even two days in a row. I want to want to go every day, if that makes any sense. I am praying for willingness. Today's time at the gym was good.

I have some leftover taco bar food. It is mostly beans and rice. On Monday through Friday I will be eating brown rice on a mini, Mary's Mini. I will mix some corn in today's leftover rice. Feeling good today.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:31 am

Lyndzie wrote:I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:31 am

Michele613 wrote:Well John I am sorry that birthday was surrounded by your father's passing. I can appreciate the fact that you are comforted that your father is no longer in pain. Maybe you can light a remembrance candle on your birthdays from now on and celebrate his life as you come to more fully appreciate healthy eating to lengthen yours. All the best....have a successful and healthy week of eating.

Thank you.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:23 am

BS: 193
Wt: 235.1

E: 30min work out, 30min treadmill

Yesterday's food:

L: salad, spicy brown rice
D: salad, 4 corn tortilla tacos, rice and beans

Today, I go on a Mini Mary's Mini for 5 days. Lots of brown rice and vegetables. Not sure why I am up. Not going to let it bother me. That is the problem with weighing daily, the numbers go up and down due to many factors. I ate good yesterday and exercised. My clothes are fitting loose, I am even able to fit into one of my four pair of dress pants that are waiting for me. I want to wait until I can wear all four before adding them to what I wear to work. I think I posted here about having to put another hole in my belt. I had also clipped the end some. This was an old belt. I bet it is or was a 40" one. My tshirts are fitting better and of course my work shirts are fitting way better.

I have a noon appointment and a 1 pm appointment for work. I might eat lunch early. We shall see, waiting until 2 would suck, especially since it is really my breakfast. Now that I am going to the gym in the morning, I couldn't imagine eating yet.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby SilverDollar123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:10 am

John,so sorry for your loss.Praying for you & family,& for traveling mercy.RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:21 am

BS: 158
Wt 233 8

E: 30min workout (leg), 1 hr treadmill

Yesterday's food:

L: salad, steamed broccoli, spicy broccoli brown rice
D: salad, steamed broccoli, spicy broccoli brown rice.

Day 1 of mini Mary's Mini. I have maybe enough cooked brown rice for today and tomorrow. My portions have gotten smaller. I made an effort to eat a bowl of steamed veggies also. My weekday meal plan is very simple. A large salad, a bowl full of cooked vegetables, same size of brown rice dish that includes vegetables. I am am still hungry after waiting 20 minutes then I will cook a bowl of vegetables and wait, then eat some more brown rice. In the evening I will just be a little hungry. No snacks. The only snacks I am doing are while I am preparing my meal or waiting for something to cook. I can go to bed a little hungry.

My weight is back under 233. I am not sure what was going on. I know my clothes are fitting great. I fully expect to be under 230 by next Monday and inder 225 by the Fiest of February. I had someone comment about my weight loss. I smiled and said thank you then thought to myself, "You ain't seen nothing yet" and played the song in my head. That is today's theme, "you ain't seen nothing yet".

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:47 am

so sorry about your father's passing. :(
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:02 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:so sorry about your father's passing. :(

Thank you.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:21 am

I didn't check my blood sugar or get on the scale this morning. I am going to do my best to limit my time on the scale, it does me more harm. I am sure I am down. I tried my best not to let the uptick bother me, but it really did. I was so glad to see it down. I am thinking about Monday's and timeline goal dates (mostly 1st and 15th of the month). I have faith that if I am following this WOE, that I will lose weight. I should have checked my blood sugar and will continue to do that.

E: 30min workout (arms, back), 30min treadmill.

Yesterday's food:

L: salad, steamed broccoli, spicy broccoli brown rice
D: salad, steamed green beans, spicy broccoli brown rice

Cooked up a batch of spicy brown rice. I added some corn, so it isn't exactly Mary's Mini, but I feel it is in the spirit of Mary's Mini as I will be eating it for 4 or more meals. So I am not sure if I should call it a Mary's Mini. I also had some oatmeal this morning. I was hungry. It was cold this morning and I had a decent workout at the gym. I was also tired after I ate and took a nap. Not sure if I will be doing that again, that is why I am posting late.

Next week is my father's funeral service. There will be a lunch following. I will have a few food challenges. My wife wants me to stay on plan because she knows in the past, when I go off plan it is hard to get back on plan. I was already trying to justify why eating on plan would be hard and that it would just be a few meals. I am glad I have her encouragement and support. I know that I am not going to starve to death at any of these food functions and that I can get a potato and some veggies to eat when needed. I will need to come up with a plan. I am going to check to see if the room has a microwave.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:57 am

BS: 229

E: 30min workout (chest/neck). 1hr treadmill

Yesterday's food:

B: oatmeal w/strawberries
L: salad, steamed cauliflower & carrots, spicy broccoli brown rice
D: salad, steamed broccoli, spicy brown rice

I was hungry in morning and had oatmeal. I also wasn't "starving" at lunch and had a late lunch. This whole eat when you are hungry and eat until satisfied is working good. I finished up my spicy broccoli brown rice, not sure if I will do that again. My current batch of rice has corn in it. Here is what I made:

2 cans mushrooms
1 can Rotel Hot diced tomatoes
1/2 jar diced jalapenos
1 pound frozen onion and peppers
1 pound frozen corn
1/2 bottle Taco Bell Diablo Sauce
1 pound brown rice
chili powder
5 cups water

It came out good. It will be something I eat on a regular basis. I think it will last about 5 meals, at least 4. We are going out of town on Tuesday, so this will be the last of my prepped foods until the following week. My plan on eating brown rice dishes during the week is going well. I am looking forward to eating some french fries this weekend. I also have some bean burgers that I made up in the freezer. I am thinking about getting some sort of bun for them, but really wish to stay away from breads until at a normal BMI or at least not obese.

I avoided the scale today. I really wanted to get on it. I stood firm. I will wait until Monday morning and then again at the start of next month. It was a struggle until I started getting dressed for work. I want to get out of the mindset that I am dieting or that this is something temporary. It is quite reasonable for me to meal prep my lunches going forward. It also makes sense to have dinners planned out and some meal prep there. I was calling it a mini Mary's Mini and while that is true, I can also eat this way all the time. It hasn't been that hard and it has really taken the focus off of the food. It has been simple and easy.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:32 am

E: 30min workout (leg) & 30min treadmill

Yesterday's food:

L: salad, steamed vegetables, spicy brown rice
D: salad, steamed vegetables, spicy brown rice
S: raw vegetables, AF french fries

It has been a struggle to not get on the stupid scale. I just have to have faith that if I am doing what I am supposed to be doing that I will lose weight. I am trying to get out of the diet mentality. I am a little sore from working out. It will get better. I plan on starting to run soon. I am not sure when.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi John,

I love that you're keeping your meals so simple! Brown rice and broccoli...what an easy way to follow compliance. And the workout regimen looks pretty good too. I'm excited to see how your successes and the benefits to your health pile up!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals