I've lost count of how many times I have restarted....

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: I've lost count of how many times I have restarted....

Postby amandamechele » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Day 7 - Nighttime snack:

4 mini pickles (and now the jar is done)
1 apple
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed May 01, 2013 11:27 am

Day 8 and 9 (so far):

Yesterday was weight in day, I lost 3 pounds. Most people would think this is a reason to celebrate...right? In hindsight, I think I expected a larger number of pounds lost because the rest of the day felt like a bit of a train wreck.

In the past, when I have a bad day "diet-wise", it tends to grow into weeks or months before I attempt to get back on track. This leads to a series of "Day 1"'s that can then last weeks to months as well. These Day 1's are the most disheartening because they are when I make the same commitment to myself every morning and break it at some point during the day due to stress, anxiety, boredom, celebrations. I am just really easily thrown off track by my "cravings".

The thought of posting in this journal, posting for a multitude of invisible eyes, kept my choices pretty much in check, even through my feelings of anxiety and the pity party I was throwing myself. That being said, I did eat almost constantly all day...

Day 8:
B: 1.5 cup oatmeal, 2 tsps. brown sugar, cinnamon, 1 green tea
S: 2 bananas
L: 2 "Air Fried" sweet potatoes
S: 1 pound carrots, 2 apples
D: 1.5 Cups spicy Spanish Rice
S: Pita Pit Whole Wheat veggie pita, no hummus, but with thai
sauce (fat content of sauce unknown)
S: 1 apple

Day 9:
B: 1 pear
S: 2 decaf coffees, 2 stevia tabs, 2 tsps. cocoa
L: 1.5 cup Spicy Spanish Rice
That is it so far...

Recipes of the Day:

"Air Fried" Sweet Potatoes:
Chop 2 sweet potatoes into fries and put into the "fryer". Add 1.5 tbsp. water. Set TFal actifry to 35 mins. Push Start. When finshed, if adding any salt, spray a bit of water to help it adhere.
Before:
"Air Fried" Sweet Potatoes - Before by amandamechele, on Flickr
After:
"Air Fried" Sweet Potatoes - After by amandamechele, on Flickr

Spicy Spanish Rice:

This is based on the very many recipes available on Allrecipes.com.
Ingredients:

Serves 2-3
1 small onion
1 clove garlic
1/3 green pepper (I was out, so I used red - not quite the same)
Veggie broth
1 cup brown rice
10 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne

Saute onion, garlic and peppers in veggie broth until soft. Add uncooked rice and sauté until browning occurs on veggies and rice. Add tomatoes and 1.5 cups of veggie broth. Stir and then bring to a boil. Put the pot lid on, and turn down to simmer. Let simmer for approx. 25 mins. Take off of heat, leave pot lid on, for 5 mins to cool.
Spicy Spanish Rice by amandamechele, on Flickr
amandamechele

Postby f1jim » Wed May 01, 2013 12:12 pm

Things seem to be looking up for you. It's great you are getting into the swing of this. You know it's ok to acknowledge just how attractive unhealthy eating is. That's the reality of life. There is a very good reason we, as a culture, are so in bed with these foods. They push all the right buttons and give us instant gratification when we consume them. We can pontificate about how wonderful real, whole foods are but after a lifetime of junk food they become an acquired taste again.
Do what you need to do to get to a place where real food tastes great and junk food is looked at as just that.
Congrats on your progress.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby amandamechele » Wed May 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Jim - Thanks for the support! Your story is very inspiring. I look forward to the day when my tastes have changed :) .

Day 9 (cont'd):
S: 1/2 pound bag of carrots, 1 banana
D: 1.5 Cup of Chickpeas, plain - not in the mood to cook or eat greens :eek:
S: 3/4 of a red pepper, a pint of cut up strawberries and pineapple

I have been avoiding most of the grains and starches today because my joints are really aching when I wake up. Moreso than when I am eating poorly. I am beginning to wonder if one or more of the foods is setting it off. This is my version of an elimination diet. I don't know how I will proceed, but I am going to try to avoid wheat, corn and potatoes for a few days and see if the swelling and stiffness go down. The only reason I am including (white) potatoes in this group is because both my mom and sister claim that they give them stiff joints. Time will tell!

Here's to a good night sleep and peaceful dreams.
amandamechele

Postby talkingmountain » Wed May 01, 2013 11:43 pm

Amanda, your journal caught my eye -- you are brave to lay it all out there. Boy do I know about starting over (and over.. and over...)! Maybe you will even inspire me to start again. Keep up the good work!
talkingmountain

Postby amandamechele » Thu May 02, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks Talking Mountain - keep on reading and being interested. Know that this is the healthiest way to long term health and weight loss. That is what kept me coming back over and over again. Even when I was "giving up" I always knew it was temporary and that I would try again and again until I do it. I can't say whether this is that time, but I am giving it my best.

Day 10 - I'll post food later. The reason I wanted to update my journal was to reflect a small health success.

My fasting glucose has been just over 7 mmol/d (for Americans that's 126) for at least 3 months. My doctor took blood, and said not to worry because my A1C was still in the normal range. But I did worry. This, in combination of a recent blood pressure reading of 151/90 led me back along the (veggie) garden path.

This morning my fasting glucose reading was 5.2 (93.6). A definite step in the right direction.

That's right folks...1.5 weeks and still more than 100 pounds overweight but I have brought down my reading down to high-normal.
(Note: I am not on any diabetes or hypertension related medication)

Yay for small victories!
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Thu May 02, 2013 10:46 am

And to top it off my house is clean.
This is a good day! :lol:
amandamechele

Postby JuicerJohn » Thu May 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Congratulations on the blood sugar victory amandamechele, that's awesome! Keep up the good work!

Oh, and congrats on the house also. :)
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby amandamechele » Thu May 02, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Juicer John - Thank you and good wishes to you too. I just took a read through your journal. You are off to a good start.

Day 10:

B:2 decaff coffees (I know these have to go...), 2 tsps coca, 2 stevia tabs and 1 Green Smoothie
S: 1 Green Smoothie
L: 1/2 pound raw carrots, 1/4 of a pineapple
S: 1 Green Smoothie
D: 2 Cups Spanish rice
S: 1 Green Smoothie.

I felt slightly less stiff this morning so I am still avoiding my favorite starches :-(

Green Smoothie:
Here is what I am eating/drinking:
Green Smoothies 2 by amandamechele, on Flickr

As for the Spanish Rice, it is the same recipe as the other day, except it has Green pepper and canned tomatoes and chillies. What is unfortunate is that I couldn't find salt free. So using that and the low sodium broth adds 1400 mg of sodium to my recipe. Which is approx. 470 mg per serving. But very tasty!!
Spicy Spanish Rice 4 by amandamechele, on Flickr
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sun May 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Days 11, 12, 13:

Oops, I haven't been keeping up with the journal.
I have stayed on plan with the exception of the coffee. That is my next step. I just haven't decided when to take it yet. I must admit, I am pretty sure it does stimulate food cravings, however, since they are so much weaker than they were when I was following a SAD diet, I have been letting this slide.
Secondly, I can definitely say that wheat products do cause joint pain for me. I re-introduced wheat this weekend after a number of days off of it, and a lessening of my symptoms. I had soy sauce on a veggie stir fry with rice. The next morning, BAM, fully swollen fingers, sore elbows and lower back. (Note to self - please re-read this post when you are thinking about having a pita or sandwich after having had no stiff joints for awhile.)
I now have to wait a few more days before I try re-introducing the other foods I had eliminated. Namely, corn, oatmeal and potatoes.

Good luck to me! I can do it. Tuesday is weigh in day!
amandamechele

Postby SecondHalf » Mon May 06, 2013 7:32 am

Hi, Amandamechele:

I have some thoughts on your observation that a "bad day" of nutrition can lead to days or weeks or even months of bad days before one can hop back on the wagon.

I overcame an eating disorder many years (decades) ago and although that may sound like the opposite problem, it's actually somewhat related. Those of us who have perfectionistic tendencies, a celebrated trait in America sadly, tend to fall into this trap more than others. One thing I learned and have followed for years now is, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good". Many feel if they can't be perfect, then the whole thing is shot to heck and why even bother? This is often why we allow the bad day to stretch into days or weeks - we can't forgive ourselves our indiscretion.

Those who tout perfectionism feed into this insecurity in others, and even in themselves. That's why I rail a bit against what I sometimes perceive as that attitude on this discussion forum among some because I know that ultimately, it is destructive. Nobody can be perfect forever. Depending upon personality type and level of self-discipline, one can seem to be perfect for a long time, but eventually, everyone makes a mistake. It's just the price of being human. If we can come to look at these mistakes in ourselves and others as new starting points or springboards for further success instead of dealbreakers, we are all the better for it.

It's okay to make mistakes. The problem isn't in the mistake itself, it's in the giving up. This seems like a simple concept, but it hard to internalize, especially for perfectionists and recovering perfectionists (like me!). Sometimes failure is the best teacher but to reap those rewards, we have to recognize that failure is not the end of the world, but just the potential for the start of something new.

Anyway, I wanted to share that and hope it encourages you. :)
Me: Image

My husband: Image

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
SecondHalf

Postby pechke » Mon May 06, 2013 8:50 am

Hi, Amandamechele,

I too wanted to chime in with my support! I pretty much just lurk here on the forums, and have not put much energy into keeping a food journal (here or elsewhere). But I wanted to say, I too have night-time eating cravings. My cravings are definitely due to emotional eating - to deal with anxiety. In the past I had very disordered eating, with episodes of binging. The shame is pretty bad, but I'm dealing with it...

Not to say you are in the same boat! But, your comments about the evening snacking really reminded me of a similar problem of mine. Some nights I still just gotta do some mindless munching. I turned a corner when I didn't try to fight it so much - but I changed my snacks so it's not so harmful for me. Instead of chips, popcorn, crackers or other high-calorie-density foods, I snack on easy to grab, raw veggies. Celery sticks, carrots, cucumber slices, bell pepper slices, radishes. Whatever raw veg you like. Sometimes I dip them in fat free hummus, or sometimes I just sprinkle them with salt and gobble them up. It fills me up, but really don't make much of a dent in my daily calorie count (IF you keep the dip to a small amount). Plus I get all that fibre and vitamins!

I totally hear you about the stop-start. I've lost 60 pounds eating this way, though. It definitely gets easier the longer you can stick with it. Then I regained 20 last year when I went through a really tough depression and fell off the wagon. I'm trying to be strict again, by NO cheating, (cause really, I'm only cheating MYSELF, right?) and checking these boards every day for inspiration. Good luck to you!
pechke

Postby Birdy » Mon May 06, 2013 10:29 am

Hi Amanda,
I like the photos you're posting of your food!

I can identify with your experiece of restarting and restarting attempts to McDougall, get healthy, lose weight. I'm in the same camp and have about 30 pounds to lose, but have carried this weight almost twenty years - same as you. Gosh, when I typed that it was a bit shocking to realize it's been twenty years of carrying the extra weight. Another good reality check.

Keep posting. I've learned by experience that when I stop posting in my journal, I begin a gradual slide into SAD and gain back any weight I've managed to lose while McDougalling.

I appreciate your honesty also.

Best Wishes!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby MSNomad » Mon May 06, 2013 10:31 am

amandamechele wrote:Secondly, I can definitely say that wheat products do cause joint pain for me. I re-introduced wheat this weekend after a number of days off of it, and a lessening of my symptoms. I had soy sauce on a veggie stir fry with rice. The next morning, BAM, fully swollen fingers, sore elbows and lower back.

I can really relate to this. Wheat and dairy (especially in combination!) really make my leg stiffness and spasticity worse the next day. Glad you're sorting out the foods that cause you issues!
I have a blog about traveling well with MS: MSNomad's blog
You can also "like" me on Facebook: MSNomad's FB page
I also keep a journal here on the Discussion Boards: MSNomad's journal
MSNomad

Postby amandamechele » Mon May 06, 2013 7:18 pm

Thank you everyone for your support today! I wish I had read it earlier.

We had a family party yesterday, and it was lovely! Friends, family, playing children...and a lot of SAD food. I did great, stuck to the plan and was very proud of myself.

Today that was not the case. I did fine until about 1/2 an hour ago. I had finally put my kids to bed. One child had been home sick all day. My husband is away for the week. And there were party leftovers in the house. It was a perfect storm for me and I was still debating even as I put the following things into my mouth, chewed them and swallowed them: :oops:

5 - 2 bite brownies
5 - mini sausage roll bites
The skin of a piece of Kentucky Fried Chicken
2 bites of a cupcake...
....then I came to my senses and threw all the party leftovers out into the compost. (after a lot of bites... :-P )

I am writing this for all to see. I cannot cover it up. I cannot pretend it didn't happen. I cannot "restart" tomorrow.
Secondhalf - I will take your advise and not consider this a total failure, but a short and quick set back.
Petchke , Birdy, MSNomad and everyone else - thank you for sharing your trials and successes. They are encouraging.

Tomorrow is still Day 14 and still weigh in day...sigh...

Good night all!
amandamechele

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals