I've lost count of how many times I have restarted....

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: I've lost count of how many times I have restarted....

Postby MikeyG » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:07 pm

ANNAUK wrote:Amy just checked this out for the first time. It's really useful to see your meals and how you make them work. Thank you xxx

Likewise, Amy. Thanks so much for being kind enough to share your journey with the rest of us, and for all that you do help the community both on and off of the McDougall forums. Please have a wonderful day, and please keep up the excellent work :) Best wishes, as always, in everything that you're up to.
MikeyG

Postby amandamechele » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:20 pm

Hi Anna and MikeyG - Thank you! :)

Hello New Home!

Day 15 Amy's October MWL Challenge:

I have concluded the driving portion of my October challenge, now onto Phase 2 of potentially difficult situations to navigate: Living in someone else's home who eats a more standard western diet. I will need to be very prepared if tonight was any indication; I bought veggies, but neglected to buy any rice or potatoes, so I ended up settling for white rice with dinner because I made an incorrect assumption on available starches.
Our hosts are very gracious for allowing such a large, loud family to stay with them. My husband and the older boys have already been here for almost 2 months. I truly hope to minimize the rest our time here because I can see that my cousin-in-law finds this difficult, but would never complain about any inconvenience. She is exceptionally introverted and must feel she has no space of her own (in her own home) to settle herself. (I completely understand this, as I feel the same way, and I've only just arrived - I wonder if anyone will notice if I hide out in the quiet car for awhile? LOL)

:)
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:03 pm

Day 16 Amy's October MWL Challenge:

Exercise: 5 million flights of stairs and carrying heavy boxes. (Truly it was maybe 25 flights)

I spent most of the day unloading our van of boxes and setting up the small amount of items that I brought with me to the new house. Our actual furniture and most of the boxes won't arrive until early November (I did bring my Vitamix, Instant pot and rice cooker, so I'm pretty much set). I spent the day at our home and the evening with my cousin's lovely family. One benefit of being in someone else's home is that I don't feel comfortable enough to wander over to the fridge and just graze on anything that I see; I foresee no issue with avoiding night time snacking for this reason while we're here. :)
We are doing a little bit of renovating, that's why we aren't moving in right away.

I'm getting used to (but enjoying) how dark it gets here at night. There isn't any light pollution (not even street lights) in our area. I'd forgotten what its like to hold out your hand in front of your face and not be able to see it. The darkness envelopes you.
amandamechele

Postby ANNAUK » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:03 pm

Congrats on the move !!!!! Our third one this year coming up this Saturday then hopefully that's it for some time !! Best wishes for the new house xxx
ANNAUK

Postby amandamechele » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:04 am

Anna - Oh my goodness...that is a lot of packing and unpacking. I hope you are able to stay put for a bit too! If I may ask, why all of the moves this year? I'm sending you good thoughts for Saturday's move, that everything will go smoothly.

Day 17 Amy's October MWL Challenge:

I went a wee speck off plan today. :( While making tomorrow's lunches for the kids I popped a tiny piece of sesame-snap-like seed bark into my mouth which I was packaging for a snack. (This is not something I would buy because it is WAY too dangerous to have in the house for me, but it was a generous welcome gift from someone trying to accomodate what they understood that I could eat.) A piece broke off and before a thought even entered my conscious mind it was in my mouth. I had to recreate the crime in order to snap a picture of it...which almost led to a second occurrence, but luckily I came to my senses. If I hadn't made this deal with myself to photograph everything for a month that kind of tiny slip could have potentially become a couple of thousand extra calories of delicious guilt. So by adding this one little extra stop signal I was able to forestall a possible binge or cram episode (I'm still working on understanding the difference between the two of those things for me, according to the language that Dr. Lisle uses to describe them).
Exercise: I still haven't gotten back to my regular walks. I had a familiar pattern in Toronto, and now I'll have to create one here. I was on my feet all day, but I know that's not the same thing.
Good night!
Amy
amandamechele

Postby sirdle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:56 am

amandamechele wrote:A piece broke off and before a thought even entered my conscious mind it was in my mouth. I had to recreate the crime in order to snap a picture of it...which almost led to a second occurrence, but luckily I came to my senses

:shock: :-P
You crack me up!
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby amandamechele » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:20 pm

Sirdle - 8)

Day 18 Amy's October MWL Challenge:

The day is done, and the darkness
Falls from the wings of Night,
As a feather is wafted downward
From an eagle in his flight...
HWL
amandamechele

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

So glad to hear you got the move partially done. Hauling boxes up stairs is arduous. Flights of stairs are bad enough, but with an extra 20-30 pounds to carry it's just downright painful. Staying with other people can be a challenge as well. Good luck with the transition!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby katie3 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Amy, that soup looks delish! Is it butternut squash soup?

Katie
First goal: use McDougall & MWL principles to reach 120 lbs. (check!)
Second goal: MAINTAIN with healthy habits and reach 115 lbs.
Current weight: 118.2

katie3

Postby amandamechele » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:46 pm

Lyndzie - Thank you for the well wishes. I knew this was going to be a particularly challenging month to stay on track so I figured some extra incentive would be necessary...here's hoping I don't derail this train! XO

Katie - It's a potato leek soup. 1 bunch of leeks, 4-6 potatoes, 6-8 cups water or salt-free veggie broth, 1/3-1/2 cup of red lentils, 1/4 tsp ground thyme, 2 bay leaves and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Simmer for awhile (or instantpot for 18 minutes or so), then blend to desired consistency. It tastes great wth Sriracha too...but doesn't everything? Hehe.

Day 19 Amy's October MWL Challenge:

It'll be leftovers again tomorrow so no need to tune in. :D I'm looking forward to the end of this tub of spinach because I think I'm feeling like romaine lettuce for next week. That's Sweet and Spicy mustard on the dinner potatoes...it's quite yummy.
amandamechele

Postby katie3 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:53 am

Ah, potato leek soup. Sounds right up my alley. :) Thanks for the recipe, Amy!
First goal: use McDougall & MWL principles to reach 120 lbs. (check!)
Second goal: MAINTAIN with healthy habits and reach 115 lbs.
Current weight: 118.2

katie3

Postby amandamechele » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:06 am

Katie - You're welcome.[b]

[b]Day 20 Amy's October MWL Challenge[b]:

Yikes...I didn't even notice until I uploaded these pictures that I managed to skip eating any veggies today. I'd better make sure that doesn't happen again during the challenge.
amandamechele

Postby Bougainvillea » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:56 am

Hey, Amy,

What's in the 2nd photo with the Sriracha sauce next to the bowl? Mashed sweet potatoes?

Karen
Off meds/animal products 8/13/17, oil-free since 8/29/17
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Starting weight 8/13/17 : 204 lbs As of 2/14/18: 186 lbs
Bougainvillea

Postby amandamechele » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Hi Karen - That's potato leek (and red lentil) soup. I have listed the ingredients a couple of posts up. It's really yummy...I think you may like it...if you like thyme.

Day 21 Amy's October MWL Challenge:

Today I ate oatmeal and banana, green tea, carrots, cucumber, spinach (oh spinach will you never be finished?), baby potatoes and sweet/spicy mustard, blackberries, chopped bell peppers, corn on the cob with lime (just mentioning it yesterday made me want it enough to go out and buy it), broccoli, mashed potatoes and 3 bean chili, and honey dew melon.
amandamechele

Postby Bougainvillea » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:51 am

Your food looks so healthy - lots of colors. Thanks for putting the potato leek ingredients. I never think about using Thyme, but yes, I really like it. Will look for some in the store and make something a little different. I tend to spice everything the same way and then....it all tastes the same :-)
Off meds/animal products 8/13/17, oil-free since 8/29/17
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Starting weight 8/13/17 : 204 lbs As of 2/14/18: 186 lbs
Bougainvillea

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals