I've lost count of how many times I have restarted....

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: I've lost count of how many times I have restarted....

Postby amandamechele » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:53 pm

Well, I need to remember to Google all movies before watching them. Hehe...Love Actually is not something to view with your kids. Maybe if they're all grown up...but, maybe not...I imagine it would be like watching a tampon commercial as a teenage girl with your dad in the room...lol. The movie was on for 3 whole minutes before I finally managed to find the remote and slam that TV off. If you've seen the movie you'll understand why. I did watch it after the kids went to bed, and I must say I still prefer The Holiday.

Here is what I ate today:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Not an A day...but not too bad.
(Edited to add...I didn't eat those 2 bowls of watermelon...I just had about 2 cups worth...the rest was a snack for the hungry hordes)
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:02 pm

Here is my food for the past couple of days. I'm slowly making my way further into MWL territory, but haven't actually arrived there yet.

Today:
ImageImage
ImageImage
I think there may have been an additional banana in the mix today because I feel like I ate way more food than that. Oh...now I remember...I did make an additional dinner but never ate it. I'm saving it for tomorrow because it's way too late to eat any more.
Plus 2 pots of green tea

Yesterday:
ImageImage
Plus 2 pots of green tea

I really enjoyed the Brussel sprouts pictured above. The recipe is just pan fried (with a touch of water) Brussel sprouts, onion and oyster mushrooms. I put the lid on the pan to steam them until tender and then turn up the heat for a slight sear. I added some ponzu sauce after finishing them. Quite delicious!
ImageImage
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:11 pm

My photo journal for this month continues. :)

Today:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pictured is:
1) Kid's uneaten oatmeal, 1 tsp brown sugar and cinnamon, raspberries, green tea
2)Baked russet fries, mustard, 1/2 raw green pepper, 1/2 raw red pepper, some romaine lettuce, raw green beans
3)1/2 bowl mashed red skinned potatoes/sweet potatoes, 1/2 bowl mashed carrot/rutabaga
4) Brown rice, moong bean Dahl, raw carrots, cucumbers, green beans and honeydew melon
Not pictured:
2 pots green tea
1/2 L sparkling water
Notes:
-attempting to lower my fruit intake
-lowered the added sodium to 1/4 tsp per full recipe of mashed spuds and veggies

Yesterday:
ImageImage
Pictured is:
1) Baked russet fries, mustard, raw carrot, pineapple, watermelon
2)Basmati rice, moong bean Dahl, frozen corn and broccoli, banana
3) Leftover rice that I didn't end up eating
Not pictured:
2 pots of green tea
Notes:
- I used white basmati rice because that is what I served the rest of the family. The third photo is my leftovers.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:09 pm

ImageImage
ImageImage
Pictured here:
1) Blackberries, lettuce, raw cauliflower and green beans, 1/2 & 1/2 mash bowl (same as yesterday)
2) Couple slices of honey dew melon
3) Romaine lettuce, raw green beans, raw bell pepper halves
4) Baked russet fries and mustard
Not pictured:
1.5 pots of green tea

I'm missing the extra fruit today, that red bell pepper tasted extra sweet because of it, but all other craving type feelings have faded enough that I can withstand night time snacking and just drink some tea while catching up on the Walking Dead (great bedtime TV...I'm still upset they killed off Glenn..sorry if I spoiled that for anyone...lol...no I'm not :D ). If I weren't forcing the reflection by journaling each day I would probably snack on something (like fruit or sliced veggies) while watching. I'm beginning to be able to listen to my body again, and it's actually not hungry right now.
That's been a neat experience for me. In the past 2 years I have managed to stay away from meat, dairy, oil, refined products and other hyper-palatable foods (like nuts, certain breads...well, all breads, if I'm honest with myself) long enough to get into this "zone" a number of times. This zone is the place where food no longer runs my life. Examples of this feeling for me are visiting family and paying attention to them and what is going on in their lives, instead of stuffing myself with take out and then sitting there tired and uncomfortable waiting for dessert to come out so I can do it all again; Going to a movie to actually see the movie instead of for the popcorn combo (this one is actually still tough for me, I tend to avoid the theatre for that reason); Talking to strangers at a party instead of hiding behind a plate of food with a sour unapproachable look; Wanting to do things other than food related outings (less restaurants, more dancing, biking, museums, bookstores); More calmness; More control over emotions.
I tend to feel a bit silly when I get there though; I chastise myself a bit about how I keep letting myself go back to that other place, that more desperate food-dominated place. But, I'm learning and growing, and hoping for more and more from myself. It is quite amazing! Life really is quite wonderful. :)
Have a wonderful weekend all, I've gotta go get my dose of dystopia for the week.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:13 pm

Here's my day:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Plus 1 pot of green tea.
1/2 L sparkling water
amandamechele

Postby OneLeggedPig » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:54 am

amandamechele wrote:That's been a neat experience for me. In the past 2 years I have managed to stay away from meat, dairy, oil, refined products and other hyper-palatable foods (like nuts, certain breads...well, all breads, if I'm honest with myself) long enough to get into this "zone" a number of times. This zone is the place where food no longer runs my life. Examples of this feeling for me are visiting family and paying attention to them and what is going on in their lives, instead of stuffing myself with take out and then sitting there tired and uncomfortable waiting for dessert to come out so I can do it all again; Going to a movie to actually see the movie instead of for the popcorn combo (this one is actually still tough for me, I tend to avoid the theatre for that reason); Talking to strangers at a party instead of hiding behind a plate of food with a sour unapproachable look; Wanting to do things other than food related outings (less restaurants, more dancing, biking, museums, bookstores); More calmness; More control over emotions.
I tend to feel a bit silly when I get there though; I chastise myself a bit about how I keep letting myself go back to that other place, that more desperate food-dominated place. But, I'm learning and growing, and hoping for more and more from myself. It is quite amazing! Life really is quite wonderful. :)
Have a wonderful weekend all, I've gotta go get my dose of dystopia for the week.

That's something I've felt too. I used to be constantly looking forward to the next food- not in a good way of "that'll be enjoyable and healthy" but in the sense of being physiologically stimulated by its addictive aspects. Thinking lots about the next treat. And I know a lot of people feel that way.

As you say, eating in a McDougall way lets you escape the pleasure trap and get out of that cycle. I really enjoy what I eat now and I do look forward to it, but not like an addict does. I know Jeff Novick has always emphasised that- how the programme allows you to focus on the things you really enjoy and that really matter to you :)

Great pictures as always.
OneLeggedPig

Postby amandamechele » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:04 pm

Thanks OneLeggedPig - that's exactly how I feel. I enjoy my food, in a very different way than before, with the added benefit of now getting even more joy out of life too. Talk about a win/win situation!

Well, I'm now sitting on the edge of the hole I was formerly in, with just my feet dangling down into it. The Pleasure Trap doesn't look so scary from this vantage point, but I'm still not completely safe from falling back in. I'll continue to do my best to put some distance between us and get back onto firmer ground.

Sunday:
ImageImage
Image[img]11https://farm1.staticflickr.com/69/30770067854_3c023ff201_m_d.jpg[/img]
Pictured here:
1) Oatmeal, cinnamon, banana, green tea
2) Rice noodle soup with veggies and herbs
3)Brown rice, frozen corn, spinach, broccoli, peas, curry powder and salt
4) Me trying to look classy in a bib rigged out of a tea-towel. At least I was able to colour coordinate!
Not pictured:
1 pot of green tea
Note:
My typical Sunday lunch is not a MWL meal, though it is otherwise fine. I haven't planned out how to satisfactorily replace it yet because that would entail a number of people being effected. I'll give that some thought this week.

Monday:
ImageImage
Pictured here:
1) Romaine lettuce, oatmeal, frozen cherries, cinnamon, coco, brown sugar
2) Carrot/Rutabaga mash brown rice, 3 bean Chili, 3 small plums
3)Leftover plum, not eaten.
Not pictured:
2 pots of green tea
1 bite of a baked potato
Last edited by amandamechele on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:44 pm

Today's food:

ImageImage
ImageImage
Pictured here:
1)Banana, Raw cauliflower, lettuce, green and red pepper halves, 2 potatoes(of which I ate only one)
2) 3 bean Chili and brown rice (It was so delicious...)
3) 3 bean Chili and brown rice (...I had to have some more)
4)Blueberries, Raw sugar snap peas, siracha, honey mustard, 2 potatoes (one of which was from this morning's picture and the other I didn't finish...confused yet?)
5) That leftover potato third
Not pictured:
2 pots of green tea
Notes:
To clear up the confusion, I ate a total of 2 and 2/3 potatoes today.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:28 pm

Here is what I ate today:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pictured here:
1) Brown rice, 3 bean Chili, blueberries, romaine lettuce and raw cauliflower
2) Baby carrots
3) Homemade mushroom, cucumber, onion rolls with calrose and brown rice (We entertained tonight so I got a little fancy)
4) Pomelo
5) Brown rice, 3 bean Chili, fancy green onion cuttings
6) Watermelon
Not pictured:
2 pots green tea

Our poor guest had no idea about the meal he was in for tonight (He arrived 1 hour early and I had only had time to make my type of food). He was polite but it was obvious he didn't like the food. My husband came to my rescue. He saw our friend's slight reaction, saw my slight reaction and went out of his way to tell me this was the best Chili I had ever made. Going lavishly on and on about it...like it wasn't the same Chili that I made almost every week...lol...
He's a keeper!
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:26 pm

Thursday's Food:
ImageImage
Pictured here:
1) Brown rice, calrose rice, 3 bean Chili, romaine lettuce, banana
2)Potatoes, hummus, cucumber, pea pods, apple
3) Brown rice and 3 bean Chili
Not pictured:
2 pots of green tea

Friday's Food:
Today I feel like I've been trying to feed a hole in my soul, or maybe just my hollow leg. :P Pictured below is a slow motion binge occuring over the course of the day. I'm not quite sure of the trigger of today's overeating, but I definitely exacerbated it by allowing myself to get into the pita bread (whole wheat, oil-free) and dates. So, without further ado:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pictured here:
1) Oatmeal, banana, cinnamon, brown sugar, green tea
2) Sliced potatoes, homemade hummus
3) Raw red pepper, celery, pea pods
4) Apple
5) Banana
6) Homemade pita chips (whole wheat, oil-free), homemade hummus
7) More pita chips
8 ) Dates
9) Brown rice, 3 bean Chili, carrot-rutabaga mash
10) Honeydew melon
11) Pita bread and homemade hummus
Not pictured:
1 pot of green tea
Last edited by amandamechele on Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby DoubleRainbow » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:22 am

Oh my goodness. Your food looks delish! I am definitely going to get (steal) some ideas from you. :-D
Double Rainbow

"Be a fruit loop in a world of cheerios"
DoubleRainbow

Postby f1jim » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:41 am

Agreed. I'd hang out at your house, anytime!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby roundcoconut » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:22 am

Oh god you are ROCKING this! Love those photos.

I always parrot Jim's saying, that the food should be good, but not too good. When I look at your pics, I see food that does not make my mouth water, or make me want to eat a meal when I'm not even hungry.

Rather, I see food that supports having a lean and feminine body over the long haul. (Well, if that's the aesthetic you like. That's the aesthetic I PERSONALLY like, so that's how I phrase it to myself.)

Keep up the wonderful work! Cheering you on always. :)
roundcoconut

Postby amandamechele » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:59 pm

Thank you DoubleRainbow, Jim and Traci - anytime you are visiting the Toronto area, I'd be thrilled to have you over for dinner...and as you can guess, based on my photo journal, we'd probably be having the 3 bean Chili...lol...

Saturday's Food:
My young daughter baked some Christmas goodies for my parents and for a potluck I was to attend the next day. The cookies were too deliciously dangerous to keep in the house (as evidenced by how many of them I ate). She decided on Christmas gingerbread sharks and stars...a whole Holiday Under-the-Sea Odyssey.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Image ImageImage
Pictured here:
1) 2 apples, oatmeal and brown sugar
2) brown rice, 3 bean Chili
3) 1.5 inch Whole wheat ginger-star
4) Bowl of lettuce
5) Iced ginger-star
6) Veggie sushi rolls from a local restaurant - no added anything - lightly steamed veg, white rice, nori
7) carrot-rutabaga mash, a potato with mustard, edamame
8 ) Uneaten sushi roll leftovers
9) pomelo
Not pictured:
-2 more ginger cookies - the larger shark shape
-2 pots of tea
-My loss of self-respect

Sunday's Food:
To continue the non-MWL weekend of festivities I went to the potluck that I mentioned above. It was a fabulous time! I really love getting together with this group of fellow McDougallers. The food was fantastic, and perfect as a monthly treat!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Pictured here:
1) My potluck plate: breaded eggplant, potato casserole, zucchini salad, bean salad, warm lentil salad, baked potatoes, kale walnut salad
2) My potluck dessert plate: bread pudding, fruit cobbler, blueberries and a gingerbread star
3) Dessert #2: More fruit cobbler
4) Gingerbread sharks
5) The rest of the veggie sushi rolls and some blueberries
6) More blueberries
Not pictured:
-1 small plate potluck food: 1 slice eggplant, 1/2 cup potato casserole and approx 1 cup of kale walnut salad.
-1 pot of tea
-The lump in my gut from so many bread products over the course of 3 days after a couple of weeks almost free of the them.

The fruit cobbler is Mary McDougall's recipe, and it's to die for! It's from the McDougall's newest book, The Healthiest Diet on the Planet.
I had planned to reflect about Friday's binge-y behaviour. Now, the more important work for this week is to reign in the decadence because I'm inching back towards that hole and I don't wish to fall in.
Have a lovely week all! Avoid the malls at all costs.

Amy
Last edited by amandamechele on Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
amandamechele

Postby Morris » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:07 am

Well, I need to remember to Google all movies before watching them. Hehe...Love Actually is not something to view with your kids. Maybe if they're all grown up...but, maybe not...

Ha ha! About 2 years ago my grandson, then 5 years old, was into monster movies, I had a dvd set of old horror movies from the 30's - 50's and did not think much about the content. But the one he chose to watch had very adult dialogue. I was surprised that was allowed back.

I love the visuals of what you ate
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals