New way of eating - one day at a time

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: New way of eating - one day at a time

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:55 pm

JohnLarson wrote:My blood surgar was 163 this morning.

I did the treadmill for an hour (15min at 2.5 mph working my way to 3mph).

Went out to lunch with a friend. Ate some bread, besides that stayed on plan with a salad, steamed veggies and a baked potato w/ Cajun mustard for topping. I think I could do same meal minus bread easily. My friend noticed I drank considerably less water.

Going grocery shopping soon, pretty excited about that. I am going to venture into the world of dry beans.

Weigh-in day tomorrow. I think I have lost weight, but even if I have not, I feel great. I am pretty sure I have lost. I am also excited about weighing in. I have ate pretty good this week and have not been hungry once.

I remember this day, I was very excited to see 163, plus I was fired up watching videos. We went to this place often, it is now closed. They had a prime rib sandwich that was a favorite. This place was a favorite for dinner also, they had some crazy big bone-in ribeye. I don't even miss them or think about them I was so glad to be able to go there and eat on plan. I bet I would go through at least six glasses of water for lunch on prior visits. Most likely close to ten, I am not a good counter.

As far as going to the grocery store, prior to finding Dr. McDougall, I had to use the restroom every time, plus get a drink. Crazy times. My venture into dry beans was okay, I mostly do canned beans now.

I didn't check BS this morning.. I did get up early and did the treadmill, plus some push ups and situps. I also did the treadmill in the evening. Food was good. Oatmeal w/blueberries & sugar. Lunch and dinner was salad and potatoes. Some pickles and pickled okra as snacks.

Feeling great and really enjoy reading my old posts

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:36 am

JohnLarson wrote:Today is weigh-in day. I lost another 5lbs this week!

Blood surgar was at 173.

I did not do the treadmill yesterday, but did some yard work.

I am feeling good. I was not real sure if I was losing or not. I ate lots of potatoes and rice this past week. Plus going out to eat a few times.

I didn't check my blood sugar this morning. I also have learned to spell sugar in the past three years. Yesterday was a good day, this morning I slept in a bit and didn't do the treadmill or any exercises. I was running behind and went to grab some mini-donuts that are in the fridge to eat on the goal. I've been doing good, so why not, I had three of them in my hand, the little chocolate ones and was getting ready to grab the other bag of cinnamon ones. Then I paused. I thought about what I want and what I am doing. I put the donuts back in the bag. I grabbed a few carrot sticks and headed out. I will be able to eat lunch early and I will not die of hunger this morning. Heck, I might even have oatmeal for lunch.

I feel really great, just stayed up way too late the last two nights. I have a fitbit and have my step goal at 16,000 so I am going to have to do some stepping because I skipped the treadmill this morning. I really like having the fitbit and find the challenges encourage me to be active.

When I go home for lunch, I will check my sugar. I am sure it will be under 173, but most likely not in the normal range. I am guessing I will be close. I am glad I passed on the stupid little donuts this morning. I have been focused on this woe for almost two weeks now and can count on one hand, which is still too many, my slips and sneaks.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:58 pm

I love it that you put the donuts back! way to go...and is it okay to toss the donuts, not put back in the fridge?

But good head space, realizing you aren't going to starve before lunchtime. That's something I know I need to remember. Good going, dude :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:29 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:I love it that you put the donuts back! way to go...and is it okay to toss the donuts, not put back in the fridge?

But good head space, realizing you aren't going to starve before lunchtime. That's something I know I need to remember. Good going, dude :)

Tossing the donuts is not an option nor is tossing any of the other SAD CRAP in my house, but there is a lot less of it around the house. My wife has gotten into walking/running since she got her Fitbit. She has lost over 25 pounds, but still likes a little junk food. She is not on this WOE, but eats much less SAD than she used to. She also knows all about this WOE and knows what is and is not on program. My wife has been very encouraging these past few weeks about me going back on plan, she knows I am frustrated with the weight I have put back on. Now that she is being more health conscious we don't have as many issues as before. Plus, I have learned not to talk so much about this WOE.

I do pretty good eating at home. It is the going out to eat that is my biggest hurdle. My plan is to be 100% MWL at home, except for some whole wheat or veggie spaghetti once in a while and pretzel thins. The food is pretty simple, even when I haven't been 100% on plan, I had some MWL days/meals mixed in there. I am sure my weight gain would've been much worse,

I am feeling great. It has been a while since I strung together this many days close to 100% (I say close because there has been a few bad choices). I haven't updated my weight tracker, but when I got back from the cruise I started a fresh new weigh-in sheet of paper at the house. I re-committed (again) that day. I think it started July 30th. Each day is getting better and better. My "official" weigh-in day is now Mondays to discourage "celebrating" with poor/bad choices. I have been getting on the scale before and after going to bed. I am trying not to get obsessed about the number and haven't got on it every day, but I am getting on it. So far it has been kind. How my clothes fit will really be the best indication. No major changes to report there.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:52 am

JohnLarson wrote:Blood Surgar 157.

No treadmill yesterday. Will do it today.

Had a friend over, he ate cheese dip while I had baked corn tortillas and salsa. We watched the race, some preseason football, and then forks over knives. He has many health issues. He has type2 diabetes, but is not over weight. I think he feels there are certain foods he can't live without.

The best thing for me to do for him and for others I am close to is to be successful in this WOE. My hope is to be under 200, healthy and full of energy. Once I take care of me, I can attempt to help others.

I had a food dream last night, it was odd. I took a bite of a McDonalds sandwich and then ran to the bathroom to spit it out. In the dream I was talking to myself in the mirror. I might start a thread about this.

It is going to be a great day!

I remember this dream, it was crazy. I hadn't been this long without fast food in a long long time. I did test my blood sugar this morning, it was 160. I did 45 minutes on the treadmill this morning and will get my 16k steps in (almost half there already). I also did 10 push-ups and 10 sit-ups. My form is good, I did them after the treadmill, I need to do them before!

My friend is still a mess. He has all sorts of health issues and still enjoys SAD. I have him over once in a while, I make food that I eat and provide him and my wife (and other guests) SAD choices. I am pretty sure me getting under 200 and then gaining weight did more harm than good as far as me spreading the news of this WOE. I have bigger goals than just getting under 200.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby Riva » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:16 pm

You are an inspiration for my new mantra: Never Ever Give Up.

I went out to dinner last night. Figured out my choices online before I went. But, horrors - I forgot to tell the server to hold the fries. I ate the dinner with my friends without touching 1 fry. It was a great success for me!!

If you are ok with some salt I like to spray from a water spray bottle water mixed with salt on the popcorn. And then sprinkle on nutritional yeast.

Riva
Never Ever Give Up
Riva

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:33 pm

Riva wrote:You are an inspiration for my new mantra: Never Ever Give Up.

I went out to dinner last night. Figured out my choices online before I went. But, horrors - I forgot to tell the server to hold the fries. I ate the dinner with my friends without touching 1 fry. It was a great success for me!!

If you are ok with some salt I like to spray from a water spray bottle water mixed with salt on the popcorn. And then sprinkle on nutritional yeast.

Riva

At times I feel that I really don't have a choice besides not giving up, unless I want to be back on all the pills and feeling miserable. My biggest lesson is that I have to aim for 100%, doing this plan 50% will not get me the results I want. It is real easy just to say, "F it". Real easy. Yours and others comments on my journal help me stay on track and not give up.

I have not been around any french fries yet, I hope I can not "have just one". I went to Subway for lunch with my wife. She just got a sandwich, no chips. I said, "Look at all these crazy chip flavors, you sure you don't want chips?" She didn't get any. I had a big chopped salad with extra spinach, cucumber and tomatoes. I like their sweet onion fat free dressing. I am positive if my wife had gotten a bag of chips I would have at some and if she didn't like how they tasted, I would have finished the bag. I think this is the first time we have went to Subway where she didn't get chips or a cookie.

On my pop-corn I spray it with water, I have a small blue sprayer in the cabinet with my popcorn. I used to use the popcorn salt, but now I just use salt. I also have a spice shaker for my Top Chip potato chips that is salt, pepper, garlic powder that I sometimes use, but it is lots of pepper. I also like my popcorn sort of soggy. I am not a fan of nutritional yeast. I have a container of Bragg's nutritional yeast and a bottle of Bragg's liquid amino that I have been sitting around untouched for well over a year. I have tried to like both. Just hasn't happened.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:33 am

JohnLarson wrote:I am not doing flour at home, but when eating out I am eating a little bread. I just eat fruit in my oatmeal. So I am pretty close to the MWL now.

Last night I checked my surgar before bed, it was 140. It was higher in the morning. I am trying to only check in the morning. I have not consulted my doctor about going off meds, but I was not taking them regularly any way. That is why they put me on the shots, for not taking my pills. When I am under 240 lbs, I will make an appointment. I was 273 last time they saw me, so it will be good to get some numbers ran. I am not sure when the last time I did "fasting" labs. I have not been a very good patient. I know that I should have consulted with the doctors first. For now, I am relying on how I feel.

So far, I have not eaten much bread or flour products and have been mostly MWL. I have been eating blueberries in my oatmeal and will get a banana before a 5k. I also have either WW or veggie pasta the night before. There is a 5k in the morning, so that is what I will eat tonight.

I still am not checking my blood sugar regularly. One thing I have noticed is that at times when I have not eaten in a long time it seems to be high, not low like I would think. I never understood how I could go to bed with a lower number than when I wake up.

I remember when being under 240 seemed impossible. Heck being under 250 at one time was a goal. I have spent the last year in the 240's (and 250's). I am fairly confident that I will be under 240 soon. Maybe even my next weigh-in on Monday.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:38 am

JohnLarson wrote:Blood Surgar at 175.

No exercise yesterday. I got sidetracked. For sure doing it today.

Went out to eat, had a little bread, I think I can go out and skip the bread next time. I only drank one glass of water and was not "dying" of thirst. This is a big change.

I went the whole day without caffine, it was not planned. I just did not have any ice tea. I think I will take a caffine break. I have plenty of energy.

Since I have recommitted, I have worked hard at making sure I exercise. I am convinced that if I would have developed some sort of interest in physical activity that I would not have fallen off this WOE. Many times since I started running/walking I have stated I wish I did this two years ago. I hope exercise and diet are important in my life going forward.

I am basically caffeine free. Stopped Diet Mt Dew when I first found this WOE and stopped tea shortly after. It amazes me how eating starch based gives me so much energy.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:36 am

JohnLarson wrote:Blood Surgar: 157

Treadmill last night 60 min at 2.5 mph.

I was out of town working and was not at home for dinner. It was after 9 and I had two hours to drive. I went to a Wendy's and got two baked potatoes. It was under $3. And very good.

I also did not drink any ice tea, two days in a row no caffine. My energy level has been high. I can tell how my clothes feel that I am losing weight.

I remember this day like it was yesterday. There was a NY style pizza place with all you can eat slices. Big win.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:29 pm

Today has been a good day. I ran in another 5k. I did my personal best at 37 something. I really wanted to get under 40 minutes, so that was good. I think I can get under 35 soon. We are doing a night time 5k next weekend. My wife has really gotten into running and I am enjoying it. I am not sure if I would do it without her or not. Her brother and SIL joined us also. We have also made some friends that we run with and go eat with afterwards. Today was Golden Coral. I had a big salad, some potatoes, rice, broccoli, cauliflower, corn on the cob and aspergus. The last two had some sort of butter or oil that I dabbed off the best I could.

I also have a fitbit and have some friends I do challenges with. I normally win the weekends, but am way back during the week day challenges. This week I won the week day challenge also. There were times at 11 pm I was on the treadmill getting my last bit of steps in. My goal is 16k steps. I need to make sure that I am up and ready to get on the treadmill when my wife is done in the morning or I will be screwed in the evening. I really am enjoying being active. Did 10 solid push-ups and my sit-ups are going good. I think next week I will keep it at 10 each.

Here it is almost 5:30, I last ate around 11 and I am not even thinking about food. Which is odd. I am thinking I still need to get my steps in for the day. lol That is crazy. Food this week has been good, I can still do better, but compared to the past 2 years, this past 2 weeks has been awesome. It has been too long since I put so many good days together.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:35 am

8/17/15

Weigh-in day. I lost 3 pounds this week. I am at 242.6. I am feeling pretty good about this. I wasn't perfect, so there is room for even more loss. I was very active. I had a 5k on Saturday and did my personal best, then on Sunday, besides our regular walk, I made a commitment to a local running group to participate a version of the C25K interval plan using a GymBoss timer. I am going to order one, but there is an app also, I just don't like carrying my phone when I run. I have a big cell phone. They meet Sunday and Wednesday evenings. They have at least two "coaches" which is awesome.

While I was hoping to get under 240 quickly, I am real happy with my progress considering some of the choices I have made. I also need to not focus on the numbers. I didn't check my blood sugar this morning, I meant to, just slipped by. I will check tomorrow morning. I am sure if is still a little high, but not crazy high. I have loved reading through my old journal posts. I am not sure how long I will quote my old posts, heck, I might do it for the whole thing, who knows. Reading the old posts seems to touch a nerve that helps me get excited about this program. It amazes me how I can remember what was going on those days when I posted some of this stuff.

I am so glad to be back.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby Riva » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:09 am

Three pounds is huge! Pile up three pounds of something on the table. My cousin sent a photo of her holding one of those fake plastic 5 pounds of fat. I don't know if you have seen them. Like a yellow blob of fat but plastic. You can buy 1 pound blobs as well. It's a LOT!
Anyway.....GOOD FOR YOU!

Riva
Never Ever Give Up
Riva

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:11 am

JohnLarson wrote:Weighed in a day early. Going to switch to Saturdays.

I lost 5 more lbs. That is 5 lbs each week.

Blood surgar was at 188. I had a later than normal snack of banana and strawberries the night before.

I bought an air popper for pop corn. The spray stuff says it contains milk. I will use it sparingly. It is really really good. I went to a cookout and one of the hosts was a vegan. My wife suggested to them to just make me a couple of potatoes. They had lasagna, one pan with meat, one without meat, but they both had cheese! I did not say anything. I got an earful about potatoes having lots of starch and it turns to surgar and makes people fat. My wife is concerned about the not taking meds. I will see the doctors the week after next. My potatoes were excellent.

Speaking of next week, on Tuesday I go visit my Mom, then my Grandparents, then my Brother and his family and my Father. My Mom is a type one diabetic and does not know I am a type 2. No body I am visiting knows. I have told my Mom of this WOE (no cheese ever??) and the first two weeks of weight loss. I was 273 or so last time she saw me, so I am excited.

A co-worker noticed the weight loss and me not drinking Dt Mt Dew anymore. I gave him a link to the website.

I have now made Sundays my weigh-in day and try not to get on the scale, but I still like to hop on it in the morning and before bed. I try not to get worked up by the numbers. I keep meaning to check my morning blood sugar, but just haven't got to it. I am not too concerned with what the numbers are. I need to be the same way about the scale as I am my blood sugar and just trust that if I keep doing what I am doing both will come down. I feel great and I am excited about where I am and the direction I am in.

I LOVE my air popper. I no longer use the spray, but my wife does. We also have the dry butter sprinkle stuff for her. I just mist mine with water and put salt on it. Some days it is more salty than others, heck some days there is hardly any salt, just depends. Some days I like it sort of soggy, other dry.

At my old job, most of my co-workers were overweight. Strike that, they were obese or a couple of them morbidly obese. I don't think I had any impact on them, but who knows. I have gained some of it back, so I am not sure how much damage I did to this WOE and what I shared with them.

So my sister in-law is not a vegan, she is a vegetarian that eats turkey and chicken. She might eat fish also. I don't know. She likes cheese. She is very thin and in shape. She and my brother in-law started joining us on the 5k runs and weekend walks. We are all participating in the local runners club and doing a C25K like interval training on Wednesday and Sunday nights. We all want to be able to run a whole 5k without walking. After the 5k we go out to eat, there is about 10 of us. Last time we went to Cracker Barrel and I had oatmeal without the nuts. They changed their oatmeal up, which is disappointing because I liked it the way it was. My previous post race Cracker Barrel meal was not a good choice at all and was before I recommitted to this WOE. I can deal with eating oatmeal there. There are going to be some places where there might not be anything on plan to eat besides dry wheat toast. If that what it takes to stay on plan, that is what I will eat.

If there is one non-McDougall item that I can see myself eating in the future is sushi. I think sushi will be my, I'm not a vegan food that I eat once in a while. I know it drives people crazy when I make statements like this, It was most likely all you can eat sushi buffet that triggered my weight gain. It sure didn't help. My last few times there I did not try to get my moneys worth and just enjoyed the food. I also had a fairly big salad. This was before I came back full force, so I am not sure if I will be going there anytime soon. I know veggie sushi is an option. I like oysters on the half shell also. I have not had any in over three years. In my SAD relapses, I have not had any oysters. odd. One of my favorite foods. My wife doesn't like seafood and really can't stand the smell of seafood or sushi restaurants, she does like Japanese steakhouses and is okay sitting at one of the tables where they cook in front of you, but not at a table with me and a big plate of sushi and sashimi. Who knows. I am confident that I have eaten my last steak, my last chicken wing, and my last bbq rib. These were all favorites that I just don't see myself ever eating again. Not 100% sure about cheese and ice-cream. I don't like the fake ones and right now I have no business eating the real stuff. I can get lost in thought pretty quick about SAD CRAP. Right now these are non-food items. I really have to keep in into the here and now. Today I will not be eating any oysters or sushi. I think I will do stir-fry for lunch.

Today is going to be a good day. Strike that also, today is going to be a great day!

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:38 am

TGIF

It has been a good week. I went out Tuesday with some friends to a pizza place. I got a big salad with fat-free dressing. It was a big win for me. No samples or bites. I had a good time.

I haven't been as active as I had been lately, just sort of tired from last weekend and work has been a little frustrating, but it has been a good week. I have slept in most of the week. On Wednesday evening I went to a runners club meetup and ran 3 miles. Well ran/walked. I will meet with them Wednesday and Sundays. I haven't done much more than that this week. This weekend we have some running scheduled. It will be fun.

I did check my blood sugar the other day, it was 133. I would like to see a lower number than that, but it is working its way down. As far as food goes, this week had been better than last, but not 100%. Nothing major, but silly stuff.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals