New way of eating - one day at a time

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: New way of eating - one day at a time

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:40 am

Most of the time when I am not active on here means that I am not "on-plan", this is one of those times. I think I got a little over ambitious and had sort of a breakdown in eating.

Knowing that I am an emotional eater is just part of the solution. It does not stop me from saying "F" it and eating a corn dog (or four). Some of the items I find myself eating are not even that good. The other day, I turned down all sorts of awesome looking baked goods. I did real good and ate only vegan food at the food event I was at with work. Then, I got home and ate two left-over cold Sonic burgers and three Little Debbie brownies. I was not hungry. They were not even good, they were bad. I didn't like either when I ate SAD.

So, I have put on a few pounds this week, easy go, easy come...

I am not going to try Mary Mini's right now, emotionally I am not ready to be that restrictive. I think the "diet mentality" gets to me. I am not a dieter, I have never been one and don't think I would be any good at it. I need to look at this as a lifestyle, which I have in the past. I still struggle with the "feasting" and eating "off-plan". Just like in recovery from alcohol and drugs, I am reaching a second bottom. I do not like feeling like I am currently feeling. I know that this WOE is the correct way. I am 100% sure of that. Knowing and doing are not the same thing. I can come up with all sorts of excuses and reasons why I have struggled, but none of that changes the fact that I am struggling, even with some awesome support here, on Facebook, and my friends & family. Even my doctor is on board with this WOE and lifestyle.

I have done well getting back on track with push-ups and sit-ups in the morning. I would like to add more push-ups in my daily routine. So I am going to go back to basics. Back to how I was a year ago, without the "feasts, samples and snacks". I like the food of this WOE. I started out the last two days with a nice bowl of oatmeal w/banana and push-ups and sit-ups, both days ended in eating SAD. Last night was a little better, but I did eat a few oily potato chips and some goldfish. This was mostly out of boredom, I had no intention or plan to eat these SAD snacks.

So today, I am starting fresh. I will follow the Starch Solution of 60% starch, 30% vegetables and 10% fruit. I will avoid meat, dairy, added oil and processed flours. I will be more physically active every day. Today, I am a doer.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby Wild4Stars » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:01 am

You can do it.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:42 am

I started a new journal. I will not be posting in this one any more. Thanks to everyone that has posted here.

Here is my new journal - Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:00 am

JohnLarson wrote:I am 7 days into this new way of eating (which is really an old way of eating), and I wanted to start a thread.

For all of my 46 yrs I have struggled with weight. I have carried my weight well and just have come to terms with it never trying any real effort to change.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes over 4 years ago, which for the most part is unmanaged. I hate taking pills and have lived in denial. Now I am to take insulin at night. I weighed 283 at the time and was told several times before and at the time that losing weight was the best option.

My start weight last week was 260. My goal is 185. Just being under 200 would be awesome. Being off the needle and the pills is another goal.

I am still reading and learning, but so far I am feeling great. I do not miss the meat, dairy and oils yet. I am sure I will, but so far I really like how I feel.

Three years ago I was introduced to this website after hearing Dr. McDougall on late night radio. I had some great success followed by ups and downs. I really need to get back to how things were the first year. So I have decided to follow my old journal.

I am currently overweight and struggle with keeping on plan. I have a ton of knowledge about this WOE and have learned much, but I am still a victim of the pleasure trap. I am confident if I would get a solid bit of days being 100% on plan, things would fall into place. For whatever reason, I sabotage myself.

Since last Thursday, July 30th, I have done well, not perfect, but well. I am still off all medication and feel pretty good, but my sugar has been high. I need to take this one day, one meal at a time. I started today off with oatmeal w/blueberries and plan to eat a salad and potatoes & veggies for lunch, then for dinner I will have salad, rice & veggies. If I want a snack, I will have popcorn. I have the food part down, I KNOW what to do, it is just doing it that seems to be an issue.

I have "restarted" eating on plan so many times the last year and a half. My wife, family and friends just laugh when I say it. It has been a joke. I have to stop talking and start doing. I read a few other of my early posts and it helped put things in perspective. So, this is not going to be a restart. this is going to just be me eating on plan...

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:03 am

JohnLarson wrote:I think this should have been in the journals section, maybe a mod will move it.

I have decided to quote each post on its "anniversary". I didn't even know there was a journal section when I first posted here.

The journal section is my favorite part of the discussion board and I look forward to following a few other people's journals, which I haven't done for way too long. Lots of new faces.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:25 pm

B: 1/2 c oatmeal w/blueberries & sugar
L: salad, potatoes
D: rice & tomatoes, ocra and corn

I was slack on exercise today.

I have enjoyed reading the first few posts on this journal of mine. It is sort of crazy, but it has helped inspire me. I hope I can hang on to that feeling. I am excited to be McDougalling again.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby Wild4Stars » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:04 am

Good to see you back on track.
You can do this.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:25 am

JohnLarson wrote:Today's weigh in: 255. Morning Blood Sugar: 152.

I did the treadmill 3 times last week for 30min each time. I will increase this week.

Mid-week stopped taking oral meds and last shot of lantis was Friday night. I will monitor per this article http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/dec/diabetes.htm. I have not spoke to my doctor about any of this. I have not managed my diabetes very well, but I will check every morning and make adjustments.

Some of the foods eaten this week had oils (flour wraps, re-fried beans, and some Chinese veggies day one). I have not went hungry or craved any meat or dairy. My skin and hair feel less oily and I have energy.

I just posted on another thread about going off my meds. I thought I was on-plan longer before I stopped. I was really, really bad at taking my pills. I am glad I don't need to take any pills at this time. I remember very well how less oily I felt. I still have that and my face breaks out if I have too much oil or eat cheese. Really, any oil is too much, but it takes a bit before I see an impact.

I am six solid days back on plan and I can already feel the energy. It is strange that it is not meat and dairy that seem to be the issue. It is the flours and oils. I still love corn chips, there is a "Party" size bag on top of the fridge and some salsa in the fridge, I haven't had any desire to eat any. I just make some popcorn when I want something salty. I think flour tortillas and oily corn chips are my worst two SAD items. Corn tortillas are okay, but just not the same and I have not even come close to making a corn chip that I like. I am pretty sure I can live life without eating these two items. I am also fairly that once I reach my goals, I won't want these items. Today, I don't want them.

Today is going to be a good day. I had oatmeal for breakfast and I am in a good mood. I have a busy day ahead of me at work, so I better get back to it.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:27 am

Wild4Stars wrote:Good to see you back on track.
You can do this.

I have been "back on track" so many times... I am just glad to be back today and will keep it one day at a time.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:04 pm

JohnLarson wrote:Feeling real good tonight.

I discovered the video section on the main page. I feel like I just saved $5,000. I watched one on the iPad while doing the treadmill at 2.5mph. The plan was to stop at 30 min, but the video was over an hour. I survived! I had been doing every other day, not sure if I will skip a day. Going slower and watching the video felt good, no soreness.

I find myself diving into the web site and forums. I am very greatful to the people that participate and contribute.

I am trying not to talk so much about this WOE all the time to everyone, but I can't help it. I need to stfu until I have some visible results. For whatever reason, when I heard the radio interview, it just made sense, like it was already in the back of my mind. I want to share this with the world, but really I need to focus on me.

I think that is why I like the forums here so much.

I have not watched a video in a while, once in a while I will search one and post it on Facebook, but mostly the short ones. I still can't believe how much information is available here at NO CHARGE. I hadn't even found the newsletters yet. It is amazing.

My food has been good. I plan on weighing myself on Mondays to stop from "celebrating" on the weekend. My sugar has been a little high. I blame the popcorn.

I made a batch of 'starch soup" last night and only ate a little, it taste better the second day.

My starch soup is:

1 bag Ore-Ida Hash browns
1 bag cooked boil in the bag brown rice
1 2lb bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 large can mushrooms
2 can diced tomatoes
2 cans of water
salt, pepper, celery salt

It fits in a large pot I have. sometimes I will make it in a crock pot, but have to add the rice later. I will also add any other frozen veggies I have open already. This batch had some extra peas and carrots.

Things are good. TGIF.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:04 am

I like the mushrooms in that recipe. :)
One of the things I admire most about Dr McD is that his whole entire plan is available for free, right here. He doesn't charge membership fees (which some dr's do) and he doesn't sell supplements (ditto) nor does he go around making headlines with huge pronouncements about this, that, or the other fad. He just steadily promotes the healthiest lifestyle possible, walks the talk, and teaches. So much free information! So much guidance, and so much good science and evidence behind this. Love it!

glad you're keeping on.

Heidi
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:49 am

JohnLarson wrote:I plan on getting an air popper for popcorn. Will have that with movies.

For football, I would like to have something with more substance. I have tried baking my own chips with corn tortillas, some come out perfect, some undercooked and some burnt. I am going to a health food store to see what they have. My plan is to have salsa and bean dip. I might look into doing some sort of layered dip and sneak some potatoes and rice in it. I need the chips first. On Football Sundays, the food as is important as who is playing.

I should have quoted this one yesterday, but here I am.

I did buy an air-popper and it gets used often. We haven't bought microwave popcorn in a long time. Once in a while my wife will buy a bag of cheese popcorn, which I never liked. I do like the popcorn that comes in the tins at Christmas, but wouldn't want it any other time.

For football what I have found to be perfect is a taco bar. I can make all sorts of taco fillings and even have meat and cheese for those that want to eat that. I still have been unable to find an on-program corn chip. I can make great potato chips, but the corn chips just can't compare with store bought. There are some salt free pretzel thins, which I had yesterday, but I also had a few Tostidoes. maybe one day these will be completely out. I think next time I will buy the baked ones, at least then I am not fooling myself. My wife loves the restaurant style corn chips, so these will always be in the house. A handful here and there adds up. I only had a few...

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:53 am

JohnLarson wrote:I have gotten a few private messages from my post there. I wanted to get answers there to stop confusion about some food choices.

I am hoping the health food store in town has some products that do not have oil or that have too much fat.

I am still making the velvetta cheese with rotel and beef for guests. I am not sure if I want fake cheese or not. I have decided that fake milk and fake burgers are out. I had not thought about cheese.

I am thinking of a layered bean dip. I will keep looking and reading. Everyone has been very helpful.

I still make the rotel dip, but the last time I had some, over two years ago, I was so stopped up I wanted to go to the hospital. I also have the guests take any leftovers home. I also make a much smaller batch.

I am sure I post later about the health food store, so I won't even get into that.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:59 am

JohnLarson wrote:My blood surgar was 183 this morning.

I did the treadmill while watching Forks Over Knives last night. That makes three days in a row for over an hour at 2.5 mph. I feel great. I might bring the speed up a bit. The movie was good.

I made a batch of corn chips. I think I have the hang of it. I am looking forward to football season, watched a little preseason nfl last night.

I went out to lunch with a friend. We went to Panera Bread Co. I think he means well. I need to find a better place to go out to eat to. My plan is to cut flour out, unless going out to eat. I also think they use oils there. Maybe I am crazy, but my skin felt different a while after eating there. I had a half veggie sandwich with no cheese and a bowl of vegetarian corn chowder. The place is okay, but I do not plan on going back.

I have no clue what the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan is. I do not want to label myself as either. Plant based diet is a term that seems used lots. I also have heard the term "closer to the ground". I think that concept is good for this WOE.

I need to start checking my blood sugar in the mornings again. I am sure it is on the high side. I got up early today and did the treadmill for 45 minutes, I also did 8 push-ups and 8 sit-ups. Good form. I might have been able to do more, but really didn't want to push it.

I sucked at making chips. Maybe I will try again. I have some corn tortillas left over from yesterday.

I went to Panara Bread Co Sunday morning after running/walking 3 miles. They had oatmeal. It was expensive, but was also good. I also had a plain bagel that most like was not on plan.

I now do know the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan is. I figured I don't have to have a label, I never had one before. Really no one cares what I eat. Once I use a label, people want to discuss something. I am really over talking to people rationalizing what they eat.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:03 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:I like the mushrooms in that recipe. :)
One of the things I admire most about Dr McD is that his whole entire plan is available for free, right here. He doesn't charge membership fees (which some dr's do) and he doesn't sell supplements (ditto) nor does he go around making headlines with huge pronouncements about this, that, or the other fad. He just steadily promotes the healthiest lifestyle possible, walks the talk, and teaches. So much free information! So much guidance, and so much good science and evidence behind this. Love it!

glad you're keeping on.

Heidi

In the crockpot I have used fresh mushrooms, I used to buy tons of fresh mushrooms, I guess I have gotten lazy.

I still am amazed all this is at no charge. It bothers me that I don't put more value to the information. I know it is priceless.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals