Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Postby fulenn » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:51 am

I made one of my favorite Chinese meals the other day. Ma Po Tofu. I have not made it because the owner of the restaurant I used to go to said it was very heavy on oil. This one has no oil in it, but otherwise is the same as the original recipe. I added some vegetable broth to it so it had the same amount of liquid. You can see the brown clumps in it. I guess it is because I did not use oil. But the flavor is the same, so while I will try to fix the clump problem, I will still be fixing this. Also, I think I will try using either soy curls or cauliflower instead of an entire brick of tofu next time. It fed five people, but is a lot of tofu.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:10 am

Fulenn! Howdy :) I've been looking at recipes using tofu lately. Made a lemon cream sauce for baked potatoes that turned out okay.

Did you have to press your tofu before using it in this recipe? Or marinade, etc?

good to see you posting
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby fulenn » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:34 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:Fulenn! Howdy :) I've been looking at recipes using tofu lately. Made a lemon cream sauce for baked potatoes that turned out okay.

Did you have to press your tofu before using it in this recipe? Or marinade, etc?

good to see you posting

Hi, Buns! Nice to see you!

Lemon cream sauce? That sounds wonderful! I love lemon. Would you share the recipe with me?

I did not use a press on my tofu, but I blotted it and pressed it between two tea towels for a few seconds. I used firm tofu. For the sauce I just changed the oil to broth and kept on going. I think any recipe is fine.

Fulenn

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

fulenn

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:27 am

fulenn wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote:Fulenn! Howdy :) I've been looking at recipes using tofu lately. Made a lemon cream sauce for baked potatoes that turned out okay.

good to see you posting

Hi, Buns! Nice to see you!

Lemon cream sauce? That sounds wonderful! I love lemon. Would you share the recipe with me?

I did not use a press on my tofu, but I blotted it and pressed it between two tea towels for a few seconds. I used firm tofu. For the sauce I just changed the oil to broth and kept on going. I think any recipe is fine.

Fulenn

Oh gosh, that sauce recipe. I could've sworn I got it from this website, but cannot find it anywhere. I wrote it on an index card for my recipe box and I don't have it with me, but I just made a batch on Saturday. Maybe I can remember.

4 TBSP silken tofu
2 TBSP tahini
zest of one lemon
juice of one lemon (probably 2 TBSP?)
pinch salt
1/4 tsp sugar

Blend it all together in food processor until smooth. I added a heaping tsp of horseradish to this. OH YUM! It makes a gloppy creamy sauce very similar to sour cream in consistency. The tahini adds a bitterness that I wasn't expecting, but I got used to it really fast. The tahini makes it not fat-free. It might work okay without it, but it really is yummy on potatoes. I'm going to give it a try next time I make Quesadilla Style. (beans and green chilies with nooch and seasonings, cooked like a quesadilla)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby fulenn » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Thanks for the recipe, Buns! I'll be trying it soon.

I am cooking today. I made my spouse Fudgy Vegan Brownies and am making Persian Yellow Split Pea and Eggplant Stew for dinner. It smells so good and I have to work in 28 minutes! All of the brownies are gone except for 2, compliments of my spouse and my grandson. They use maple syrup--so good!

Bye for now,
Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:44 pm

Just sitting in class waiting for my student to come. I am sipping on a hot cup of chai tea--just hot tea with a cinnamon stick, ginger root, cardamom, and maple syrup. Yum! Hope everyone is doing well tonight!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby NomeOslo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:46 am

I've been searching for inspiration and ideas, and trying to figure out if I want to try a journal myself. You are indeed, quite the inspiration - you've kept this up for years - well done - and with healthy results. I'm still undecided, but reading yours, and everyone else's journals, has been a real encouragement.

fulenn wrote:We had our annual Groundhog Day celebration last week. It was fun! ... We pulled out the bottle of sweet vermouth from last year; one dip of my finger in it gave me enough of the yucky taste for another year. Spouse tried having some over a LOT of ice, but he could not deal with it, either. LOL
Fulenn

This just cracked me up. We too watch Groundhog Day each year, and I always wondered about the sweet vermouth. Thanks, I now understand Phil's reaction to the drink! :D
“Those who think they have no time for healthy eating will sooner or later have to find time for illness.” Edward Stanley

NomeOslo

Postby fulenn » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:37 am

NomeOslo wrote:
fulenn wrote:We had our annual Groundhog Day celebration last week. It was fun! ... We pulled out the bottle of sweet vermouth from last year; one dip of my finger in it gave me enough of the yucky taste for another year. Spouse tried having some over a LOT of ice, but he could not deal with it, either. LOL
Fulenn

This just cracked me up. We too watch Groundhog Day each year, and I always wondered about the sweet vermouth. Thanks, I now understand Phil's reaction to the drink! :D

I'm glad that someone else watches Groundhog Day! We got the key for our, then new, house on Groundhog Day 15 years ago, so we threw a party. Now we do it every year and fill up the house with guests; lots of fun watching the movie and eating.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Hey Fulenn! How's it going? Nice to see your posts here lately. :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby fulenn » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:32 am

Hey, Buns! Good to see you, too.

I just replied to a message that was sent several months ago. I never mentioned it, I guess. I have RRMS, not PPMS. I don't know much about how this way of eating effects people with PPMS. I always thought that the best thing was to get on it while it was still remitting-relapsing because Dr. Swank showed 95% of people who stayed on it did not show significant progress in their symptoms. I assumed that meant that the MS never became primary-progressive in its symptoms. I also figured that the overall health benefits could only help.

I originally showed that I had a 1.5 on the 10-point disability scale. I still show about 1.5-2 on that same scale. I was diagnosed 20 years ago and have had almost no progression, even though my early years with MS were rocky as far as my diet was concerned. You can look here at my journal and see that I only pulled my diet together in the past several years.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:27 am

Started the day off with cantaloupe, mango, and rice milk with a little orange juice in it. Mmmmm! It is almost lunchtime, so I will just get our starches in with that.

Austin has gone on lock-down, but we are okay. The children have not stocked up like we suggested, so we quietly put up enough for them, if needed. We’ll see what happens.

Not sure about lunch/ dinner yet. Maybe pizza or veggie sushi? What are you fixing? We are not on lock down, but we are right next to Austin.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:30 pm

Spent some time outside with my spouse turning the garden, He did most of the heavy work. The plants are all in the ground now: fennel, tomatoes, mint, bell peppers, artichoke, and rosemary. Yay! Now to fix stir-fry for dinner. I picked some onions and forgot to loosen them first--I have onion juice all over my hands now. Smells great, though! Spouse found some snow peas and broccoli in the freezer, so we will have a nice dinner. Gotta go get the rice on.....

Have fun, All!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:19 pm

About to eat a fabulous dinner! Cucumber slices with homemade hummus, salad with couscous and arugula, grilled veggies on top of the salad. Mmmm! The hummus and couscous are my starches tonight and the rest is my fresh veggies.

Have a good one everyone!
Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:24 am

I don't have much to say recently. I am getting ready for work, have some pepper mint tea, sparkling water, and bean soup on my desk. Yum! My spouse started showing signs of psoriatic arthritis several months ago; he had been eating a lot of junk food for breakfast and lunch at work. He is eating well now and all signs have gone away. Yay! Hope everyone is doing well,

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:24 am

Finishing my day of work--yay! Drinking some green tea with a cinnamon stick in it and eating some beans and rice for breakfast.

Have a great day, all!
Fulenn

fulenn

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals