Anna's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Anna's Journal

Postby Anna Green » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:30 pm

I realized I haven't posted in a while and I don't really feel like it now but I wanted to check in. I'm doing well overall. Still eating on plan most of the time and slowly dropping weight. I feel happier and more peaceful. I got done with planning an event for LGBTQ folk who have experienced homelessness. It was a ton of work and the night of the event during cleanup I fell. I'm still recovering...hurt leg...so I'm not exercising. I am looking forward to being healed.

That's all I got for now. I have a belly full of rice and veggies and I'm content.
Anna Green

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:39 am

Anna Green wrote:I realized I haven't posted in a while and I don't really feel like it now but I wanted to check in. I'm doing well overall. Still eating on plan most of the time and slowly dropping weight. I feel happier and more peaceful. I got done with planning an event for LGBTQ folk who have experienced homelessness. It was a ton of work and the night of the event during cleanup I fell. I'm still recovering...hurt leg...so I'm not exercising. I am looking forward to being healed.

That's all I got for now. I have a belly full of rice and veggies and I'm content.

ooh, be careful! Hopefully you'll heal up quickly from that fall. But sounds like a wonderful philanthropic event you were helping with. My daughter is gay, and she knows people who have been homeless...hard to figure it, but most of them teenagers whose parents tossed them out when they came out of the closet. :(

glad you're doing well with your food choices. :) good to hear from you.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Anna Green » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Buns! Glad your dtr has you for a mom! It's a shame what people do in the name of Jesus. Our babies need everything we can give them. I asked a Republican yesterday to call off the dogs...call his legislators and say that discrimination shouldn't be a
Republican value. Every week it seems I hear a new action being taken against LGBTQ and it scares the heck out of me. Part of the reason I want to be healthy is to live longer and make sure my kid is ok and to fight for the basic needs and rights of LGBTQ folk experiencing homelessness, especially POC. This administration actually is having Federal agencies take off their websites guidance for assisting LGBTQ homeless. Wants employment discrimination to be ok as if it's not a Republican value for people to work to take care of themselves. And couching it in "religious freedom" is disgusting. Jesus wouldn't have had anything to do with it. Fed the people on the mount...never asked about their sexual orientation or gender identity or even if they had cheated on their wives that day. And yet some want my kid to be invisible and not be able to feed herself or give me a grandchild. CDC and Census is not asking questions about LGBTQ any longer because this administration doesn't want the info that could be useful in supporting and protecting them. I'm sickened by it but it motivates me I have to say.

I'm also sad about it. But not in a need a poboy kinda sad thank goodness. not today anyway. That's why I need to be here more to support my own progress and make sure it continues. Life always throws us dookie and we need to eat well to deal with it.

I'm not depressed though. Overall I feel good. I've had some slips but for the most part it's been life-giving stuff going in my mouth. I've been craving salad alot and so I make enough for 2 days and add starch and beans to it and enjoy it so much. Yesterday I made the sister and bil and myself collard wraps and salad wraps. Turned out so well. Pye made us a legal Pad Thai. She's doing well. It's so good to be doing this with her. Gives us both a lot of help.
Anna Green

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:03 am

It was tough at first, because we were conservative Bible thumping fundies for the entire time we were raising our kids. But I knew KT, from a very early age I wondered what it would be like when she came out. She finally did at age 16, after about a year of wondering if Jesus hated her, wondering how she would stay close to God but being gay, etc. I handled it just fine. The youth group did not, and we left that church.

But she found a teen group OutReach...a LGBTQ friendly youth group. I watched her go from this darkened, unhappy, puzzled, hurting being into her sparkling, joyful, friendly, smiling self. Finding acceptance turned her around, and that's what finally opened my eyes to the cruelty of how our Xtian friends handled it...or let's just say, the cruelty of how churches of all kinds handle it. These poor kids don't need their closest friends turning them away right when their own self-doubt is at its highest level. And I live in Utah, where the teen suicide rate is extremely high, partially because of how the LDS religion has handled this issue. We aren't LDS, but believe me any rigid religious group is equally bad with this kind of thing.

anyway, good on you for being an advocate. The world needs to change in regards to treatment of people who are different. Period. And it's a crying shame, criminal really, how persecution and discrimination is increasing under this POTUS. :angry: Keep up the good work, my friend.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Anna Green » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:53 am

Buns, that was such a great post. Sorry I didn't respond to it earlier. Thanks so much! My baby came home since for about a month. Had a hard time...wasn't stable on meds etc. We both suffered. The anti-lgbt bills (127 last year alone) and the fact that my family votes for their authors has been difficult to say the least. She's doing better now and so am I. I decided to limit my news and social media time. Also Thanksgiving will be in the woods on a river with people that support us. I'd give any of my family a kidney but I can't sit with them in thanks this year. Just can't. Who knows they may be relieved not to have me there though I know in their own way they care about me.

I have been MIA here but have been following the McDougall facebook sites and sometimes participating. Also, I watch youtube videos like I'm going to an 12 step meeting. So while I have fluctuated in adherence like I have for years, I'm in a good space over all. My latest thing is really really looking at my alcohol consumption. It's been too much. I have periods of time when I realize it but I'm going deeper now and looking at the health problems it causes more closely. It hasn't impacted my work or relationships or given me a DUI. Not that kind of drinking but still I know it impacts my choices on a Friday night about food and it makes it harder to lose weight, and it has caused stomach problems.

I have been using my herbs more often for anxiety and that is so helpful. Eating my lovely potatoes and other carbs is helpful. Exercise is helpful.

This is where I'm at. I'm looking forward to eating well over the holidays and not participating in the stuff that makes me feel bad.
Anna Green

Postby SilverDollar123 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:12 pm

Welcome back Anna. You were missed. Sorry about the issues you are going thru.Remember you are not alone.Been there
done that with a member of my family.Please stay connected to us..we care about you. RAS :nod:
SilverDollar123

Postby Anna Green » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:34 am

RAS, thank you so much. I'd love to hear how you are doing.

So I have this new thing. I love steel cut oats and usually make them savory and delicious with veggies but they don't keep me going long enough especially when I work. So I decided to throw in these diced hashbrowns with peppers and onion. That was the fix. I love this woe and I love that I and others are willing to do whatever. It often turns out wonderful.

So far the weekend has been good for me. Lots of healthy food and only herbs (all legal) to relax. I will try to get in a little exercise today. I've been a sloth. I just bet that doesn't help the anxiety. Plan to do some cooking...nothing complicated...some kind of soup, baked potatoes, a grain, salad prep. Salad has been calling my name lately. I often put my dinner on top of it or add potatoes and beans. I've learned I don't always have to dress it as usual if I don't want. I can add seasoning , dulse, and sauerkraut and a little avo sometimes and it's just delish. I got the sauerkraut idea from youtubers and thought yuck. But this aint the sauerkraut I grew up with. Bubbies is milder and adds a tang like pickles or olives would and I'm thinking the probiotics are a nice addition. I've been trying to heal a messed up tummy.

I always have a sense that I am coming home when I come to this site. My gratitude knows no limits.
Anna Green

Postby Anna Green » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:54 am

It's morn and I'm on my couch playing hooky from work. Another family crisis and I'm a bit devastated. So I know I have to work harder to eat healthy and journaling is a good tool.

I got up, sore throat and all, and lifted a little weights. I have a salad and potato soup and lentil Ethiopian stew ready so no excuses. I'm prepped.

I'm listening to Dr McDougall videos and plant based youtubers because it always makes me want to eat the plants.

Just needed to commit to myself that I would not go off the deep end.
Anna Green

Postby moonlight » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:59 am

I love those kinds of days! Unplanned. Taking care of yourself in the moment. I hope you have a lovely day. What a great way to recharge.
moonlight

Postby Idgie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:01 pm

Wow, Anna, awesome self-care in a difficult time!! I hope things get easier soon.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby SilverDollar123 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:03 am

Oh Anna,stay strong please! Praying for you & family & child. Please keep coming back & tell us how you are doing. RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Anna Green wrote:RAS, thank you so much. I'd love to hear how you are doing.

So I have this new thing. I love steel cut oats and usually make them savory and delicious with veggies but they don't keep me going long enough especially when I work. So I decided to throw in these diced hashbrowns with peppers and onion. That was the fix. I love this woe and I love that I and others are willing to do whatever. It often turns out wonderful.

So far the weekend has been good for me. Lots of healthy food and only herbs (all legal) to relax. I will try to get in a little exercise today. I've been a sloth. I just bet that doesn't help the anxiety. Plan to do some cooking...nothing complicated...some kind of soup, baked potatoes, a grain, salad prep. Salad has been calling my name lately. I often put my dinner on top of it or add potatoes and beans. I've learned I don't always have to dress it as usual if I don't want. I can add seasoning , dulse, and sauerkraut and a little avo sometimes and it's just delish. I got the sauerkraut idea from youtubers and thought yuck. But this aint the sauerkraut I grew up with. Bubbies is milder and adds a tang like pickles or olives would and I'm thinking the probiotics are a nice addition. I've been trying to heal a messed up tummy.

I always have a sense that I am coming home when I come to this site. My gratitude knows no limits.

That's one of my favorite ways to prepare salad. I've enjoyed many a "spaghetti salad" :lol:

But doesn't sauerkraut just sound scrumptious! And I love Bubbie's! I haven't looked for it in the stores around here, but used to get it from a co-op. Looks like in my area Sprouts carries it! :unibrow: right off the freeway, one exit away.

Sorry to hear about another crisis developing :( take care of yourself ALL THE WAY. ((Hugs))
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Rosey » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Anna Green wrote:RAS, thank you so much. I'd love to hear how you are doing.

Ok now your making me want to try that sauerkraut on my salads. I love trying new things.
Rosey

Postby Anna Green » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:55 am

Buns, I love it too. Rosey, give it a go. My salads have evolved as have my oats. Anything goes and most often I like whatever off the wall thing I've done that day.

I made myself go for a walk yesterday to get some sun and commune with the trees. It was the thing to do. I'm doing ok with food...not perfect but mostly good. Today I'm making a big pot of split pea soup, some grain and salad.

This is what I can do today.
Anna Green

Postby Anna Green » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:16 am

I have wondered over the years what it would take for me to stay the course with my eating for health. I know what it has been these past few months and it surprises me. I always thought it might be becoming diabetic or having an cardio event of some kind. Those things haven't happened. What did happen was I became so depressed and anxious this past Fall that it scared me and I started eating much better to try to feel better. So it's my mental health and that of my girls that has motivated me. My girl finally understood what happened to her during school by a teacher was rape and was brave enough to start telling us. He began grooming her at age 12...he is 50 years older than her so he's in his 70s now. She's been off and on depressed and suicidal for years and I didn't know about this underlying reason because she was so scared to say anything and for years believed it was consensual though on some level she must have known. I thought it was just her transitioning that was so difficult. I've been devastated and eating potato chips and fries couldn't possibly do anything but drag me down further. While I have always had many compliant meals that have kept me from getting so fat that I'd have to be cut out of a house I have also eaten alot of crap over the years. I was scared for her even more because finally facing this has been excruciating (and freeing). So I started chasing her with potatoes and greens and other healthy things and eating them myself in hopes it would help us as we deal with this. It is helping. And I'm too scared to eat the crap. I'll consider it and then I just don't because I can't take the feeling bad afterwards. So this morn as I was eating my veg and rice soup I had the urge to finally journal about this. I 100% believe that depression and anxiety are fueled by animal products and refined foods. I'm just glad I knew this because of the good Doc and had this way of coping. Sometimes I've only been able to cry and cook rice and cut veggies. Sometimes I throw some tahini into a salad dressing or a little avo into a burrito especially for my dtr. More and more though I'm veering to more simpler things and more MWL for me anyway. That's it. Late for work.
Anna Green

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals