My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby tinathescreamer » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:37 am

salt ... love it but it makes me puff up around my eyes and they go pink and watery . think I'll join you in a no salt day.
tinathescreamer

Postby squealcat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:01 am

Tina: the no salt day worked very well! Many trips to the bathroom yesterday :lol: as a lot of water got purged from my system ! I think I will add a second day. I almost added salt to my steamed veggies but then I remembered that vinegar helps to replace salt. It wasn't the same but it did help. On to another salt-free day !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby ~Skye~ » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:34 am

Hi squealcat! I've been feeling very puffy myself recently. I might have to do a no salt day. These are tough times, I'm not sure where you are, bu here in the US south we are all really strung out, and that's even though most of the people in this region have been blissfully ignoring the fact that there is even a pandemic going on at all! Still, I've found for myself that when I really want something, all I have to do is form a clear idea of what I'm aiming for, make a simple commitment to myself to do it and relax my expectations of how it should work itself, instead just letting it work itself out. Best of luck to you!

~Skye~
~Skye~

Postby Ruff » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:34 pm

interesting re the salt. I have lots because of the running, but I also have very puffy eyes....

I shall have to think and maybe experiment with salt intake.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby squealcat » Sun May 02, 2021 3:41 pm

Hi Ruff ! I just read your very interesting story. It is inspiring to me and apparently many people . Thank you for that!
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon May 03, 2021 1:55 pm

I met a friend today and we walked three times around a shopping mall (a little less than 3 miles). So nice to talk to someone during my walk today and find some sort of connection. We haven't seen each other in a few months so it was long overdue.

After the walk we went out for brunch. I can't say I ate McDougall-type but it was enjoyable ! I am back on track right now. I need to make some sort of soup or stew or something and also rice and potatoes to get me by. I think today it will be brown rice and tomorrow mixed bean soup followed by mashed potatoes. That should do it for me for a few days! I already have sweet potatoes all cooked and fresh veggies in the fridge for salad and steaming.

When having brunch with my friend I realized once again, that I eat large amounts. My friend ate only half of what she ordered while I had the whole portion . I am glad I (normally) eat the MWL way so I don't have to worry when I eat the whole thing as long as i don't stuff myself. I am just comfortable now and will be for quite a while.

So now I go back to my normal "stuff" of the day which is laundry and also making rice in my instant pot. Have a good day everyone !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Ruff » Wed May 05, 2021 4:48 pm

3 times round a shopping mall is 5km!!!! how big is your shopping mall? I dont think I have ever even seen a shopping mall that big! How many shops are there in it? I'm totally staggered at that. I mean just think about the sheer amount of stuff there must be in there for sale. Its bigger than Christchurch airport! wow!
Katie

Ruff

Postby squealcat » Sun May 09, 2021 9:31 am

Well, Katie, it IS a big mall with a lot of in and out hallways. Don't know how many stores. It really was less than 3 miles, maybe 2.5 miles. We have a bigger mall with 2 levels on the other end of town. Both are too far from me for regular walks. I prefer to walk up and down my street (we live outside of the city) anyway.

Today is Mother's day. Nice morning watching a little TV, said my prayers and answered emails from my children. One son sent me some new tea to try. Such a nice gift ! Both are decaf so that is good. One son and his family will come over this afternoon for a nice visit. Two kids live in other states , one has probably forgot it is Mother's day (that's really ok .... I always get big hugs from him when he comes over ) and my daughter has her mom hands full with an energetic daughter and special needs baby son. I am sure her husband will give her some much needed time to herself today.

After 3 weeks suffering in the pleasure trap, I am finally crawling out and feel so much better. I am making some oat/quinoa breakfast cereal in my instant pot as I type this. I never mixed the two before so hope it tastes good ! I am not much of a quinoa fan so had to figure out how to use what I have up.

For the rest of my day, I will have my extra large salad for lunch followed by bean soup over potatoes. Dinner will be pasta as my husband is taking me out to a restaurant tonight. We have a couple of favorite places and I know what to get there. I keep it simple not prefect.

Enjoy your day everyone !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri May 14, 2021 5:57 pm

My week hasn't gone as planned. I am up a pound from last week. I found myself planning how to get out and treat myself while resisting most of the time. I guess I could have gained a lot more so I am glad I resisted all those times.

I am going to follow Starch Solution meals for a while. I feel like my diet mentality is overriding all my thoughts of following MWL. I have dieted most of my life starting at 7 years of age when I found that I was the chubbiest girl in my swim lesson class and also when my mom had to get my clothes in the "chubby" section of the store.

I do not want to go crazy with food. I just want to think of myself as a healthy person who eats healthy things.

today I walked 2 miles then worked in the garden

Breakfast : oat and quinoa hot cereal with blueberries and a splash of almond milk
Lunch: Very large salad with my hummus and 3-2-1 dressing. I added 2 Tbls of pumpkin seeds
Snack: cooked carrots, plain cooked potato
Dinner: plain veggie soup, pea soup with cauliflower chunks, plain potato with my hummus, apple

That was my food for the day. No craziness, no sneaking food.
I will miss the MWL group. Mark is so encouraging and I love his and Wild Goose's comments. I will still read it all each week. I just have to see if I can get my head on straight. I may be back journaling here but maybe not everything I eat. That kind of journaling reminds me of Weight Watchers. I need to get away from that.

Oh, I am still growing my sprouts! Arugula will be harvested tomorrow along with broccoli sprouts. I LOVE them !

I also plan to begin knitting again. I have a project from a year ago. Hope I can figure out where I was on it and remember how to actually knit again !

Have a good week everyone !
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat May 15, 2021 5:31 pm

My walk today was a 3 mile one. Nothing special but felt so good and the weather was cool but not cold.

Today went very well. I was just pondering the fact that I have not been tempted to eat anything crazy (with a lot of fat, sugar etc). I feel more relaxed today around food and it all tastes good!

Breakfast: a mix of steel cut oats and quinoa with a splash of almond milk and a Tbls of flax seed. This was topped by blueberries and mango
Lunch: a very large salad with my hummus and the 3-2-1 dressing also added 2 Tbls of pumpkin seeds
Dinner: veggie soup followed by my split pea soup with cauliflower and steamed summer squash on top and a potato on the bottom of the bowl. Potatoes really satisfy me ! I had an apple for dessert.

That is it for the day. Forgot to say that I put some arugula on my salad.
I made an Esselstyne recipe today that is so good ! It has chick peas and greens and lots of onion. It makes a lot so I make 2/3 of the recipe. So I have salad stuff, veggies, split pea soup, and that new chick pea recipe so I am good for a few days. I am almost out of greens though so I may have to run to the store tomorrow. Will see. sometimes I can just throw together a salad with what I have....maybe a broccoli salad with cucumber and pepper and tomato? Maybe.

My youngest son called me today to announce that he proposed to his girlfriend last night and she said "yes" ! Great news! We love her and she will be a wonderful addition to our family. Now, if I can just get through one more wedding ! I am not good at events like that. Not into parties etc but I know that once it all happens, I enjoy it.

That's all the news.
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Daydream » Sun May 16, 2021 9:01 am

squealcat wrote:My youngest son called me today to announce that he proposed to his girlfriend last night and she said "yes" ! Great news! We love her and she will be a wonderful addition to our family. Now, if I can just get through one more wedding ! I am not good at events like that. Not into parties etc but I know that once it all happens, I enjoy it.

-squealcat

Congratulations! That is wonderful news. I'm not into parties either but this will be a happy event for the family.

I like hearing about the food you eat!
Daydream

Postby Ruff » Mon May 17, 2021 1:54 pm

Congratulations on the engagement, and another new family member. Another party pooper here, but that is one kind of party I would love to attend.
Katie

Ruff

Postby squealcat » Wed May 19, 2021 6:19 pm

I will be jumping back onto the MWL group on Friday. I only missed a week but I don't know what to expect when I step on the scale. I REALLY don't want this to be about my weight...I just want to feel good and be as healthy as I can be.

I currently feel drowsy and brain-foggy. I hate that ! Part of it is that I have been watching my little grandson the past 3 days and that always makes me tired even though it is mostly sitting. He is special needs so mostly is in bed but needs attention all the time. I got him to smile at me today and laugh ! He likes to play with his toys etc.....but gets tired. I do a lot of reading and listening to podcasts during this time. After 3 days of this I feel my muscles need loosening up as they feel stiff. Tomorrow I will walk !! Maybe next week I will try one of those 1 mile walks that are posted on Youtube.

We may have to turn on the a/c tonight as it is pretty muggy. The weather has changed so quickly and not much rain in the forecast. I planted some sunflowers and have to keep going out with a watering can to keep them watered! I would just like a couple of flowers out of the batch....I want to just watch them grow and let the birds have them in the end.

I will post more tomorrow! Things will turn around, yes it will :nod: ! Just watch me !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Thu May 20, 2021 5:23 pm

I started the day right with my favorite oatmeal and blueberries....NO flax seed this time (per MWL). Lunch was a very large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar for the dressing. I added a handful of arugula microgreens which are SO healthy ! I then slipped and had two slices of toast with peanut butter because I love toast and it sounded good at the time. Right afterward I regretted it .

A little later I went out and bought flowers for my outdoor pots and stopped to get some freshly picked asparagus (LOVE IT !)

I realized after I got home that I had a lot of energy as I finished laundry, watered flowers, cleaned up the kitchen and washed some dishes. I didn't feel droopy. Very glad that I didn't have anymore "stuff" after that toast as I know it would have changed things and my energy would have gone downhill. OK, now I remember just how I felt when following MWL. I felt energized and actually felt like doing things.

Dinner was steamed asparagus and a Japanese sweet potato followed by an orange. That's it. I still feel pretty good! Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Oh, forgot to tell you that I walked 3 miles this morning before it got too hot. I needed that exercise after three days sitting watching my grandson. My left hip area is painful and I think it is that inactivity. I have to figure out what to do when I care for that boy. Maybe some walking in place and body weight exercises? I will figure it out.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri May 21, 2021 9:01 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: I gained 0.2 pounds over the last 2 weeks

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:I walked 3 miles this morning before it got too hot. Now I am going out to plant flowers in some pots before my shower. Enjoying my day so far ! Hope I don't have to change any thumbs up to thumbs down !

I DID have to change two thumbs to down....boo!

Breakfast: oat groats, blueberries and had a banana before my walk this morning
Lunch: very large salad with balsamic vinegar and my hummus on top followed by.....some bread ,veggie burger etc, etc
Diner: steamed broccoli, brown rice, chic pea and ginger and greens mixture, orange

-squealcat
squealcat

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals