Journal of my journey

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Journal of my journey

Postby SilverDollar* » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:10 am

Glad to hear from you.How are your family members with covid?RAS
SilverDollar*

Postby Morris » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:20 am

They are riding it out. My younger brother has tested positive also. Both my brothers are overweight and have COPD. The nursing home staff where my dad is are getting new positives with each testing.

Nov 3, 2020
Weight - did not weigh myself this morning.

I woke up earlier than in the past and saw the sun was rising. I got dressed in my outer wear and headed off down the road to the lake. I was hoping for a sunrise photo -- nope, I was ready for it and it was a boring sunrise, no clouds.

It is getting chilly, ice is beginning to form on the lake now. But, the daytime has been warm -- close to 50° yesterday. The snow we had melted so I attempted to rake. I got sidetracked as I was putting the leaves on the compost pile, I kept looking at the area that was bulldozed when we had some driveway work done and thought, "Oh, I can extend my trail for snow shoeing." So, the leaves are still on the ground, but the trail is cleared of brush. :-) Priorities! This trail is on the other side of our property and NO grouse came to see what I was doing.

I redid my shelter on top of the sliding hill. I hope this one holds because I like sitting in it on a sunny winter day. I need to practice learning how to tie knots -- at this time I am just pretending I know what I am doing :lol:

I am using up our harvest of apples and am eating a lot of apple crisp - The bean soup will be gone today. I am still looking for what to do with all that corn grits. Hubby said he ordered it because I wanted it. Huh? Texture thing for me, I cannot handle that. As a matter of fact, last time I had my oatmeal it was overcooked and I had a hard time getting it down without gagging.

Meal plan for today:
coffee
peanut butter on multigrain bread
apple crisp

bean soup - finishing it up
spinach

I might try to do a scalloped potato using that no-cheese sauce
delicata squash
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:10 am

Nov 11, 2020
weight: 141.8 - up a bit but I sort of expected that because I seem to be having an aversion to low calorie density vegetables lately. My daught saw a bee hive way up on the top of some evergreen trees. Old folklore says the higher up they build their nest, the more snow we get. Plus she saw a very fat squirrel - again the story goes the fatter the squirrels the harsher the winter. This morning I am stalling before I head out and shovel the 6 inches of snow from my patio. I think I am storing up for a long cold winter.

I am a bad sister and Ihave not called my brothers to see how they are doing. But my dad said the older one is back to work and will have a cough for about 6 weeks. But then, that is his normal for this time of year. GS2 was sent home from school and D2 is taking him to doctor today for "the test". Symptoms that GS2 has are not out of the ordinary for him, but because of everything going on, D2 is required to get him checked. Plus she works in a nursing home and now she is off work until GS2's test comes back negative. D2 has been testing negative at work -- keeping fingers crossed on that because she has a lot of health issues. GS2 does have asthma.

I did not finish raking the leaves before this snow fall, but (priorities here) I did clear another trail for my snow shoeig adventure around the property here. It is hunting season, so I should stay out of the woods. I even stay off the road this time of year -- But, I did get on the treadmill again. I found a tread mill follow along couch to 5k and enjoyed it so much I did 2 session (1 hour of walk and run). I did the week one because it was a run 60 seconds/walk 90 seconds and my mind was able to handle "It is only for a minute." x 8. The second session I increased the speed and the whole time my mind was thinking about the longer run times in the program and I am wondering was speed I will be able to maintain. I am so out of shape.

I have been eating a lot of potatoes and squash. I am cooking up our squash harvest and freezing. We had an early freeze so I am trying to cook up what I can for it goes bad. Some of the zucchini, I blended up and make pancakes with it (I used blended zucchini for the liguid) The grandkids did not even know they were eating zucchini when I served them pancakes.

Hubby has a doctor appointment today -- I hope the road is plowed before we have to leave. We are on low priority and are one of the last to be plowed out.

Well, coffee is finished , time for me to shovel off the patio. Exercise for today is shoveling.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:55 am

You northern Minnesotans and your snow! Shoveling is absolutely wonderful exercise, though. And I'm happy that you have a bee colony in a tree on your property. It's past time for a swarm, so sounds like they're battening down for the winter? Cool. Have fun with the snowshoe trail! Best to your Covid positive relatives.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Morris » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:52 pm

Nov 13, 2020
weight - did not weigh this morning -- kind of thinking I don't really want to know what it is.

Exercise: I found some awesome couch to 5k treadmill training videos with cues for the intervals, timer and a graph to tell how much of the workout is completed. I did week 2 workout and increased walking speed .1 each interval (started at 3.5 and ended with 4.0) Giving myself credit -- I DID IT! the other day I stayed at 3.5 for each of the walks because I thought I was going to be too out of breath by the end. Today, I discovered that while the recovery took a few seconds longer, I was able to do each increase and catch my breath before the next run interval.

Here is the link for these:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJumOlRn9C592ijW9sUC2Hg IBX Running

The treadmill is boring enough and I have done weeks 1 and 2 a couple of times and I like these. I wish I could download for when I do not have internet connection. There are different coaches, I like the male one because he only does the cues for when to run and walk -- don't have to listen to all the chatter the female coach does.

What I ate so far today:
coffee
medium potato (cooked in microwave)
madras lentil
Spinach -- I am liking getting back to adding spinach to my meals. I notice my finger nails grow faster when I eat spinach.
Turmeric Bliss tea - x 2 cups

Family update:
*my parents are still covid-19 free
*I still have not called my brothers -- hoping no news is good news.
*GS2 is waiting his test results -- D2's SO told every one at his work that GS2 was being tested and he was sent home waiting results
*D2 seems to be the only one in her department at work that is still testing negative -- she was told she has to clean all units by her self today because everyone is out for quarantine.

Hope you all are staying healthy!!

I got an email from JL Fields for a yellow potato soup and one of the ingredients was umami seasoning - never heard of it so I looked it up and found a DIY on plantbasedrecipe.com - mushroom powder seasoning. And on the plantbased recipe I discovered a curry soup with zucchini and potato -- I am going to try this one but need to run to town and buy some potatoes. Sounds good though.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:04 am

Nov 15, 2020
weight - did not weigh this morning - not sure if it is because I am not obsessing over the number or because I really don't want to know.

Made this yesterday:
https://www.plantbasedrecipe.com/articles/creamy-curry-soup-with-zucchini-and-potatoes-recipe-vegan-oil-free-for-the-stovetop-or-slow-cooker/

It is a keeper -- only have 1 more zucchini left from my harvest to use. This recipe made a lot. I did add some red lentils to it while cooking and then when I packaged up the freezer meals I added some rice and mixed vegetables to it. It made a lot -- 16 1-pound meals. (That is with the extra rice and veggies) Since it made so much, hope it thaws well. It should because I took the time to dice all the potatoes and zucchini.

GS2 and D2 have tested negative -- but my sister's MIL has now tested positive and she is in the same nursing home as my dad, but on a different floor.

I need to make this quick - it snowing and windy and I need to clean out an old camper we have on our property (been using it for storage), but we found some one to haul it away. I am not sure how much snow is in the forecast.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:07 am

Nov 19, 2020
weight 142.8 -- down a bit from these past few days. Hubby has been wanting to eat out so there were quite a few days of restaurant meals -- fat and salt, even though I was trying to eat vegetables and rice.

Plus, I am in a frustration mode -- every one is frustrating me. I cannot wait until rifle season (deer hunting) season is over and I can get back into the woods. I have a family text thread keeping my brothers and sisters updated on my parents' situation and one accidently sent a politically text to it and it set everyone off -- remember, I am from a dysfunctional family.

Speaking of my brothers, the older one, is doing better -- at least he sounded better but he is still having trouble breathing. This is one of his health issues (COPD) , but he says it is harder to catch his breath than his "normal". My parents are still unaffected with the virus (other than the lockdowns and mental issues that go with that).

I took my mom to the doctor for a check-up. Her clinic closed and she had to make an appointment to see her doctor and the new location. But they made her wait wait and wait some more. After over an hour and half, I went in to make sure she was all right and I could hear her coming down the hallway complaining about how tired she was of waiting and what a bunch of bs it was. She left with the final discharge. Everyone in the waiting area gave my the sympathy look with the I am glad it is you not me grin. I just said, "It is going to be a fun ride home."

All this is making me realize how important it is to stay positive. And I am going to end with that because we are meeting up with someone who has stored some stuff with us and we are going to return some of his stuff so we can put our stuff in its place.

PS - that curry soup with zucchini and potato is awesome with rice and mixed vegetables added to it. I diced the zucchini and potatoes to make it better for the thawing after freezing so it is a bit time consuming but it makes a lot --- and I mean a lot!.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:52 am

November 21, 2020
Weight - 142.8 Up a bit, but I am being so lazy and cannot seem to get with my exercise program. Plus, I am still having an aversion to vegetables and seem to be eating mostly starch. It would probably be all right with that alone, but I keep eating junk. I am having some issues with frustration and/or depression -- I can feel it in my brain. I need to shake it.

I cannot wait to go for my hikes in the woods again. Tomorrow night, 1/2 hour after sunset, rifle season is over and the woods won't be so dangerous to walk in. I'll be honest, it is the two legged creatures that scare me the most when I am out there.

The other day, the weather was warm and I had to go to town, I jokingly said to my dad that the weather was above freezing and would he like a visit. The nursing home only allows outdoor visits at this time. He said, "Yes." We reserved a "heater" spot. So, I picked up my mom so she could see him. This is the first time, I seen my dad looking down. This isolation that they are making them do is getting so he cannot hide his depression.

My dad, in the nursing home, is confined to his room except for dinner time. They'll take him to the dining room to eat supper, his other meals are in his room. My mom, in assisted living area, is allowed to walk to the mail box and if any one else is there, she can at least visit. My brother is doing better, but he says he is having a bit harder time catching his breath than what is "normal" is.

I made a batch of Yellow Potato Soup by JL FIelds - it was a bit different with yellow split peas and pear
https://jlgoesvegan.com/yellow-potato-soup/

One of my pears went bad before I could use it, so my batch was missing some of the sweetness. The recipe seemed to be lacking something. I added some rice to my bowl. The jury is out on this one -- not sure if it is a keeper yet or not.

Today, I plan to eat:
coffee
tri-grain flakes, riced cauliflower, strawberries, banana, flaxseed -- (when my weight was down, I was eating this daily so I figure I better get back to eating it again)

Yellow potato Soup
rice
spinach
mixed vegetables

Hoping to get back with the program again --and soon!
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:12 am

Nov 22, 2020
weight - I decided not to step on the scale this morning. Just because. No reason other than I did not want to. But I am feeling good about what that number might have said -- I'll leave that to my imagination for now.

I woke up to fresh snow on the ground. I am kind of bummed that I need to stay out of the woods -- It would be such a pretty walk. I love it when the trees are covered with snow. But then I don't because that means it is a heavy wet snow for me to shovel.

I almost stayed with my eating plan yesterday. Al least my meals were followed. Yesterday was the first day in a long time that I had my tri-grain flakes, riced cauliflower, flax - I had strawberries and banana with it. I was like, "Welcome home" On my weight loss journey, when I was at my comfortable weight, this was my standby breakfast.

For lunch I ate some of the yellow potato soup with rice and for dinner I had some of that curry soup with zucchini and potato (added rice and mixed vegetable to it).

I went off plan with some unreal bars (chocolate covered coconut) - on sale at Costco. Shopped with hubby and he threw 2 bags in the cart -- 50% less sugar than the mounds bars -- taste so much cleaner and I did not feel compelled to eat the whole darn bag. Hubby bought some potato chips that found their way into my mouth. And a few snack size candy bars. Snacking is an issue that I need to fix.

I am going to give myself credit for not buying the biscotti bars -- Hubby had some and I pigged out on them. He suggested I buy some more because I ate all of them. I told him no, because if I buy them I will eat them. I then walked away from that aisle. On the way out, he said he wanted to go down that aisle once again. He then says, "Here they are, aren't you going to buy some?"

"NO!" -- That is why I have such a struggle -- not only do I have to deal with my inner voice telling me to eat something, I have to also counter the external voices telling me to eat what I know is not good for me. Sometimes, I just get tired of the struggle....
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:12 am

Nov 24, 2020
weight - 141.8 --- not a true morning weight, but this was "I wonder what I weigh right before bedtime" reading of the scale. I was distracted this morning and did not think about weighing myself until after I ate and drank.

Celebration Time: Yesterday, I finally used up the last of that zucchini --- that thing was H.U.G.E. -- I made this soup:
https://www.pickuplimes.com/single-post/2016/12/23/Sweet-Potato-Zucchini-Soup and I still had some left over, so I just steamed it and we ate it as a side dish. This zucchini was a yellow zucchini that has flesh more like a winter squash - it was very meaty and did not have a lot of seeds inside.

Sunday, I was outside shoveling about an hour before sunset and found myself walking down to the lake. I was hoping there were no hunters, but decided if I stayed on the road, I'd be okay. It was so refreshing to be out in the woods again even with the encounter of 2 dogs realizing I was there and started to run up to me. Fortunately, they were friendly but I did not know that. I think I acted a bit crazy and scared the owners of the dogs more than the dogs scared me. I was on the phone with hubby screaming dogs were after me, but I had a stick and my pepper spray ready to use.

Once, I encountered a neighbor walking their dog and that dog came up to me snarling, showing its teeth and barking, daring me to make a move. And the stupid neighbor said, "He won't hurt you, you can pet him. " I was like, "Are you serious? Put him on his leash and control him? I am not moving a muscle until he is under control." -- This is the neighbor whose dog attack mine. I tell ya, the owners are more of a problem than the dogs. But, after the dogs passed, I had a pleasant time down by the lake.

I am back to having my tri-grain flakes, riced cauliflower, and fruit and am now starting to include some low-calorie vegetables and my mood is greatly improving. It is the food!
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:33 am

Thanks for that soup recipe. I went there and emailed myself the page, so some day soon I will make it. I love soup. Soup is magic. I bet I'd be the picture of health and fitness eating soup for every meal.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Morris » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:21 am

Nov 27, 2020
Weight - did not weigh this morning -- new puppy, had to get up and moving first thing - our new addition is a german shepherd/labrador mix, cute as a button only about 10 weeks old but our senior dog is looking pretty small now. She will make a good hiking/camping companion for me. But things are hectic here with the puppy, kitten and senior dog all competing for attention. And then there is hubby...

Oh, we named the puppy Gracie -- instead of Belden, hubby did not want to be reminded of Trixie should she pass soon (Trixie is our senior dog, 11 years old).

My eating plan sort of went out the window these past few days. But, I did finish up the last of the yellow potato soup - the one by JL Fields, with the yellow split pea in it. Today, we will be eating the last of the sweet potato and zucchini soup. Amazing how similar ingredients can have such different tastes.

My Forks over Knives email has a link for different Mac and Cheese recipes -- those no "cheese" sauces are a good way to sneak in those veggies -- I want to try the one using butternut squash since I have some winter squash harvest to use up. I'll see what I have time for today.

I found out that the bear are still out and about. I stepped outside to take the puppy potty and something let me know it was out in the woods, then found out that there have been fresh bear tracks in the woods. -- drat! But good to know because I was walking around where they logged this summer and I kept thinking that maybe a bear was hibernating in some of the piles left behind.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:49 am

Dec 2, 2020
Weight - 142.5 -- I need to get with the plan and do it now!

I am here physically, but I think my mind took a vacation concerning this plan. I have not been eating well at all. But today is the day I am getting back on track.

Covid updates with my family members:
*Older brother is back to work, but still is fatigued
*Younger brother -- haven't spoke with him, but heard he is over the quarantine but the Covid-19 has affected his short-term memory and he is forgetful
*D2 - is feeling better, is finishing up quarantine and should be able to go back to work, unless the fact that her SO, GS2 and GD2 are now active cases.
*My parents are okay, but the staff were they reside are greatly affected
*Hubby and I are okay.

We adopted the puppy - went through a couple of name changes and settled on Osa -- spanish for bear - Right now she looks like a bear cub. So, now we have a senior dog, kitten and puppy. The puppy is a shepherd/lab mix. I was hoping for a hiking and camping companion, but as of right now, quoting hubby, "I got the wrong dog." She is scaredy-cat and when we take her out at night, if she hears an sound in the woods, she runs to the house. And she does not like to go for walks - she prefers to lay down in the snow. I have a hard time getting her walk more than 400 yards. But she will definitely motivate me to get into a routine.

Today, I plan to eat:
coffee
tri-grain flakes, riced cauliflower, blueberries, strawberries, flaxseed

potato, corn and black bean salad over spinach

stuffed sweet potato topped with veggies and beans

I am hoping to get off my lazy butt and get some exercise done today in addition to attempting to walk the puppy.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:04 am

Awww new puppy! You'll have fun teaching her to be your hiking companion.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Morris » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:27 am

Dec 3, 2020
weight - no weigh-in today. The puppy is directing my attention elsewhere first thing in morning. With a puppy, kitten, and senior dog, I feel like I am starting a poop factory -- haha! That puppy sure does go a lot.

My eating yesterday went okay -- not perfectly on plan. but I did make a pot full of boiled potatoes, opened a can of beans, added some mixed vegetables and kale, served over spinach. That was what I had for two of my meals. My lunch was off-plan.

Today, I am going to have the oven on to cook up some of the harvested squash (I am cooking it and freezing it before it goes bad -- we really do not have proper storage, so I have to use it up before it rots-- I will bake some russets and sweet potato so I will have them on hand.

I also managed to get on the treadmill for an hour -- I did two couch to 5k using the Robert Ullery's Podcast for Running. Each of the running segments I increased the speed .1 mph started at 5.0 and ended at 5.7, then for the second time I started at 5.7 and decreased .1 till I ended at 5.0. The second time I increased the walking speed. I managed to get over 3.5 miles.

http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

I started with these back in 2010 and I still use them because he added to cues for walk and run. That way I do not have to watch the clock for the timings. My plan is to do it again today, but knowing me, that can change as soon as I log off the computer.

Today, I am planning to cook up some lentils to have ready to go for something. Maybe a sloppy joe mix or shepherd's pie dish. Sloppy joe mix would go good over the potatoes.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals