Ltldogg's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Ltldogg's Journal

Postby Ltldogg » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:06 am

Sun, Apr 5

Sleep = 7 hours

Morning Weight = 128.0
Height = 5' 6.5"

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner = Cabbage, Broccoli, Carrots, Tomatoes, Brown Rice, Black Beans, Corn, Pineapple, oil-free sweet sauces
Snacks = Bananas, Dates

Meds: 20 mg Prednisone

Ankylosing Spondylitis: 1/10
Crohn's: 2/10
Uveitis: 1/10
Fatigue: 0/10
Depression & Anxiety: 1/10
Rheumatoid Arthritis: 1/10

Exercise: 11860 steps

I forget to post for Saturday. My weight was 128.0 and I was and am still experiencing some Crohn's related pain both yesterday and today.
Ltldogg

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:41 am

Mon, Apr 6

Sleep = 7 hours

Morning Weight = 126.7
Height = 5' 6.5"

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner = Cabbage, Broccoli, Carrots, Tomatoes, Brown Rice, Black Beans, Corn, Pineapple
Snacks = Bananas, Dates

Meds: 15 mg Prednisone

Ankylosing Spondylitis: 3/10
Crohn's: 1/10
Rheumatoid Arthritis: 2/10

Exercise: 26740 steps

My brain MRI came back normal, which is great news!

I had a Teledoc appt with my Rheumatologist and she wants me to stop taking Humira, get tested for UTI and other infections and start taking Remicade in the future once I get past any infections. I'm not sure what to do. I know Humira is not working, but I don't want to keep taking different harsh drugs. However I know without the Prednisone I would be in terrible pain again. Speaking of which, she wants me to try to lower the Prednisone to 15 or 10 mg a day in case I need to stay on it long term. I only took 15 mg today and by the end of the day my hips were hurting and I had pain in my upper neck and a headache :cry:
Ltldogg

Postby kaseymarie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:26 am

Hi! I recently came across your thread because I was searching for others who also experienced tiredness on the McDougall diet. I'm also at a similar BMI to you where it's not too much to lose so it's been super hard. I had a couple questions (your menus have been super helpful btw). You had one post where you said starches were causing you to feel fatigued and I'm wondering if cutting out starches helped you at all? I used to eat a plant based diet without starches and had way more energy than I do now. I feel exhausted after lunch and for the rest of the day. I also saw that you add in walnuts and flaxseeds occasionally. I have cut out all nuts and I'm also wondering if that could be why I'm so tired. I was wondering if there's a reason you add nuts/seeds and how much you add?
kaseymarie

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:15 am

kaseymarie wrote:Hi! I recently came across your thread because I was searching for others who also experienced tiredness on the McDougall diet. I'm also at a similar BMI to you where it's not too much to lose so it's been super hard. I had a couple questions (your menus have been super helpful btw).

Hi kaseymarie,

Welcome to the forums! I'm glad my thread and menus have been helpful.

kaseymarie wrote:You had one post where you said starches were causing you to feel fatigued and I'm wondering if cutting out starches helped you at all?

It depends, I think. There is definitely some trigger between starches and my autoimmune diseases flaring. I do not know to what extent. If I cut out starches completely than I also become fatigued; fruits do not sustain me with long term energy. Yet, starches do not seem to satisfy my hunger drive and I can overeat on them. Veggies help fill me up. And then again, I crave and love starches. So I try to stay with a good mix, but sometimes want to cut out starches completely to minimize pain further.

I say I think, because my story of 1 is very complex and full of a ton of variables and it is extremely hard to get anywhere with pinpointing things, and I have tried and continue to. My diseases, which there are many, by themselves cause me great fatigue. The corticosteroids I'm on give me energy. I don't sleep well and so I need naps usually. I can have great energy one day and be completely out of it the next day, even though my routine or meals have not changed.

kaseymarie wrote:I also saw that you add in walnuts and flaxseeds occasionally. I have cut out all nuts and I'm also wondering if that could be why I'm so tired. I was wondering if there's a reason you add nuts/seeds and how much you add?

Yes, I add just a little sometimes for Omega 3s and mostly fiber. I say little and mean very little. They are not miracle foods, are very high in fat and calories, and they do not help with energy. If you want energy, make sure you are eating enough carbs; basically follow the program here of plenty of starches and fruit.

I hope this helps and thanks for asking questions :)

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby kaseymarie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:58 am

Super helpful! I did see how much sleep you get and was wondering how you function honestly. So sorry about your sleep problems. I'm definitely getting enough carbs because I'm counting calories (I know we're not supposed to but I severely overeat when I don't). I'm not eating fruit actually - has that helped you with energy and hunger? I'm fine in the mornings but then after lunch my energy just plummets and I feel starving all day. I don't seem to do well with sugar and have a history of binging on appples.
kaseymarie

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:20 am

kaseymarie wrote:Super helpful! I did see how much sleep you get and was wondering how you function honestly. So sorry about your sleep problems. I'm definitely getting enough carbs because I'm counting calories (I know we're not supposed to but I severely overeat when I don't). I'm not eating fruit actually - has that helped you with energy and hunger? I'm fine in the mornings but then after lunch my energy just plummets and I feel starving all day. I don't seem to do well with sugar and have a history of binging on appples.

Do you have any chronic illnesses/diseases that could cause fatigue?

The way you talk, it sounds like you have an eating disorder. You are not going to overeat on apples. Have you actually followed the program which means:

- eating when hungry, until full
- at least 50% of your plate is starches
- fill the rest with fruits and veggies
- don't count calories
- don't worry about weight loss; it will happen over time

If you are severely overeating, eat more veggies, but don't drop starches below 50%. When you say you are starving and have no energy after lunch this screams that you are not eating enough carbs, especially starches. This program works, but you have to follow it (not what you think you should do, but actually what the program outlines) consistently and over time.

I suggest you start with Jeff Novick's How To Begin sub-forum here: https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=14. Read through all the numbered posts in order.

I hope this helps further,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby kaseymarie » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:06 am

I definitely did the 50/50 rule but only made it a couple days without counting calories. I have 10 pounds to lose that I''ve been trying to get rid of for forever so I think I'm a little paranoid. Even with counting calories I still can't seem to stay under my TDEE let alone have a deficit. Thank you for all your insight though! I went through the how to begin but never really thoroughly read the links so I'm looking at it again now.
kaseymarie

Postby Ltldogg » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:14 pm

Tue, Apr 7

Sleep = 7 hours

Morning Weight = 126.8
Height = 5' 6.5"

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner = Cabbage, Broccoli, Carrots, Tomatoes, Brown Rice, Black Beans, whole wheat spaghetti, Pineapple
Snacks = Bananas, Dates

Exercise: 11641 steps

I didn't have much energy today, but did have plenty of pain in my hands, feet, knee, hips, teeth and other areas :/
Ltldogg

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:08 am

Wed, Apr 8

Sleep = 7 hours

Morning Weight = 126.5
Height = 5' 6.5"

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner = Cabbage, Broccoli, Carrots, Tomatoes, Brown Rice, Black Beans, whole wheat spaghetti, Pineapple
Snacks = Bananas, Dates

Exercise: 23392 steps + 60 minutes on exercise bike

I had more energy today and slept better. I have tweaked a couple things. First, I am cutting back on the amount of starches and second, I'm stopping eating 3 hours before bedtime. I'm still eating plenty of food and replacing starchy foods with more fruits (dates) and veggies. I'm not calorie restricting or counting calories. I eat when hungry, until full.
Ltldogg

Postby hoob » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:02 pm

Ltldogg wrote:I have tweaked a couple things. First, I am cutting back on the amount of starches

The Starch Dilution? :D just kidding.

Seriously, why do you think starches are linked to AS? I remember when i was finally diagnosed and i found the sites kickAS.org and the spondylitis association of america I was dismayed at their claims that starches must be avoided at all costs. It just defied common sense that meats, fats, and a few greens were my only options. I, like you, believe in this way. As an aside, what about wheat? I notice you still consume it almost daily. Does it not affect you?

For the most part, this way of eating has remedied most of my issues. In regards to GI health, things have cleared up 100% as long as I stay strictly committed-- and also coffee free, i am sad to say.

The AS however, can still be a thorn even at the utmost compliance levels. I sometimes have trouble differentiating between "is this a flare" or "is this pain a result of the damage done". If they are flare ups, they are not nearly as bad or last as long as before the starch solution. Is that your experience as well? Nevertheless, I have sustained enough permanent damage and experienced enough chronic pain that i finally relented on the biologics. I really didn't want to do them either, but something had to give in regards to quality of life. Humira didn't really do it for me either. I respond well and quickly to Enbrel, although if you are still having Crohns problems I don't believe it addresses that. Good luck on the Remicade.

Kevin
hoob

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:32 pm

hoob wrote:Seriously, why do you think starches are linked to AS?

Hi hoob!

I know because of years of strict elimination diet testing while on zero meds. I was already a 100% starch solution eater when this started back in March of 2015. In fact, I was high starch; probably about 90%. I suffered terribly for the first 4.5 years...terribly. There were times I could not walk or see or move my head/neck and at times my whole body was in such pain that any movement made me scream out in pain. I truly was crippled. I played around with backing off starches and found some success. Also, fiber seemed to be my enemy as well. But as I tried one thing another issue would arise. For example, a low fiber white rice diet greatly minimized my AS pain, but caused me worse constipation (which is what I suffer from w/Crohn's) and severe depression.

I have not figured out anything for sure, just bits and pieces here that I'm still trying to put together in the larger puzzle. I turned to meds finally back in the fall of 2019 for much needed relief. I don't want to be on them, but the alternate is not something I'm willing to go back to right now and maybe ever.

hoob wrote:I remember when i was finally diagnosed and i found the sites kickAS.org and the spondylitis association of america I was dismayed at their claims that starches must be avoided at all costs. It just defied common sense that meats, fats, and a few greens were my only options. I, like you, believe in this way. As an aside, what about wheat? I notice you still consume it almost daily. Does it not affect you?

No, wheat/gluten makes no difference. In the last 5 years since this all started, I have gone over a year, twice, without eating any form of wheat/gluten and still had just as severe pains. Additionally, I have been tested twice for celiac disease and am negative.

hoob wrote:For the most part, this way of eating has remedied most of my issues. In regards to GI health, things have cleared up 100% as long as I stay strictly committed-- and also coffee free, i am sad to say.

That's great to hear and I'm glad this program has worked for you and some others. You will never find anyone with more will power and who followed this program to the letter more than me. Unfortunately, it has not helped any of my many autoimmune diseases. That is not an indictment on The McDougall Program; rather it is a indication that whatever is wrong within me seems to be permanent and incurable or is so vast it requires meds and/or specific strategies that I have yet to find. If you follow these forums, you will see that I am still one of the top advocates for The McDougall Program because I know for every human, they will experience their best health if they follow this program completely. I say that because despite my autoimmune disease pains, the rest of me is in exceptional health. My labs and vitals show that, my outward appearance shows that and I have people say that to me all the time and are surprised to learn I live in pain.

hoob wrote:The AS however, can still be a thorn even at the utmost compliance levels. I sometimes have trouble differentiating between "is this a flare" or "is this pain a result of the damage done". If they are flare ups, they are not nearly as bad or last as long as before the starch solution. Is that your experience as well? Nevertheless, I have sustained enough permanent damage and experienced enough chronic pain that i finally relented on the biologics. I really didn't want to do them either, but something had to give in regards to quality of life. Humira didn't really do it for me either. I respond well and quickly to Enbrel, although if you are still having Crohns problems I don't believe it addresses that. Good luck on the Remicade.

Kevin

Thank you! And I'm seriously happy for you that you have found relief and hope that your AS is in permanent remission and maybe will even recover some.

Part of me doesn't want to take another biologic and part of me does. Part of me wants to get off of Prednisone and part of me doesn't. Another complication for me is I have so many Autoimmune Diseases that cause me pains all over. I'm constantly torn about what to do, what pains to live with and how to move forward with my life. I will keep moving forward as my desire to live, enjoy life and be happy is unflinching. It's just going to always be hard I feel. :/

Thanks for writing. Let me know if you have any other questions, ideas, comments, etc.

Sincerely,
Scott
Last edited by Ltldogg on Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ltldogg

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:37 pm

hoob wrote:The Starch Dilution? :D just kidding.

To clarify, I'm still following The McDougall Program. I'm just eating more like the MWL.

~Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Drew_ab » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:27 am

I just wanted to say that I very much enjoy this journal and that I think it brings great value to many board members. Best wishes in your health journey as you navigate a complex medical issue. I hope that modern science will be of value in the future, combined with the basic science of world-class plant-based nutrition, movement, and a little sunshine.
Drew_ab

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Drew_ab wrote:I just wanted to say that I very much enjoy this journal and that I think it brings great value to many board members. Best wishes in your health journey as you navigate a complex medical issue. I hope that modern science will be of value in the future, combined with the basic science of world-class plant-based nutrition, movement, and a little sunshine.

Thank you Drew! I'm glad others can get something out of it and I truly appreciate your sentiment :)
Ltldogg

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:53 pm

Thur, Apr 9

Sleep = 7 hours

Morning Weight = 125.7
Height = 5' 6.5"

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner = Cabbage, Broccoli, Carrots, Tomatoes, Brown Rice, Pineapple
Snacks = Bananas, Dates, Blueberries

Ankylosing Spondylitis: 2/10

Exercise: 16392 steps + 60 minutes on exercise bike

I had even more energy today and slept better. My BMs are better. I'm cutting conventional starches even more except for adding in more bananas.
Ltldogg

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals