Mutual Accountability

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Mutual Accountability

Postby Zoey » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:16 am

Ejeff, I guess it's possible, but, but, but.... :shock:

:lol:
Zoey

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:55 pm

Doing okay. I had a small amount of chocolate for each day of the three day weekend and guess what. Today, Tuesday, I am back to craving it again. :\ Meals have been really good. I can say with utter assurance that other than putting avocado on something one meal last week, and my chocolate days that I allowed from the beginning, I've eaten below 600 calorie density all month.

D: stir fry noodles (Noodles are processed, but below 600 because of being cooked in water)
B: broccoli oats
L: lentil stew; an apple; coffee w.creamer Hmmmm...talk about processed...didn't even think about that until just now...hmmmm.

Exercise: nope
Meditation: 20 min during lunch break.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Ejeff » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:57 am

Zoey haha I hear you about the chocolate. For me it is easier to have none at all. As one piece leads to 2 and I want it the next day and the next. Sometimes when I bake oat banana cookies I will add a few chips to get my fix, but I haven’t bought any lately and don’t plan to. Dr. Lisle often talks about how it is often easier to completely abstain from something that we crave as the cravings do eventually stop.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Zoey » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:33 am

Thanks Ejeff, you and the doctor are totally right. And that kind of brought me to a realization. I gave up meat easily a long time ago. I just didn't eat that anymore. Then way too many years later, I quit the cheese, too. No problem, I just don't eat that.
Logically, I should be able to do the same with chocolate. But now I see that I obviously just don't want to give it up! And I rarely lose control, so I guess I'll keep trying to moderate the intake. This week has been good, only one small square of dark per night. I think the expensive stuff is worth it in the end. A little is satisfying. Whereas the popular milk chocolate goodies just make me want the whole bag.

In other news, I seem to be doing well with my eating, and I haven't binged this week. But I also haven't checked the scale. Saving it for Saturday morning. Ugh.

Everyone else doing OK?
Zoey

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:49 pm

Ugh. Serene, I’ve had a rough couple days here as well. Fortunately I got my bearings back today. Also put new batteries in the scale, so tomorrow will be an awakening. Usually pants are a good indicator of how things are going, but I realized that I only wear yoga pants and joggers, which are stretchy and deceiving. Now to get a good nights sleep. Best to everyone!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Zoey » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:28 am

Well, I'm up a pound this month. I can either accept that this is my weight range, and I'll never get rid of these last ten pounds, or... I can move myself to the MWL plan. I'll think on it for the next few days.
Zoey

Postby moonlight » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:57 am

I'm back up to the weight I was at the beginning of January. Disappointing but I'm not giving up. I'm convinced I can achieve my goals if I just keep at it. I think the way this journey goes for most people is an up-down roller coaster experience with weight and/or compliance. I think I have spurts of losing weight. I can adhere to the 10 pt. principles for the MWL program for a week or two but then it seems I need a break from such rigid compliance. Maybe that will eventually change. Good luck to everyone on meeting your intentions!
moonlight

Postby Morris » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:20 am

I agree with the up and down with meeting goal and complicance. I am stuck and a weight that I am not comfortable being at, but I am eating back what I work off so it is really no surprise to me that I am stuck. I am just getting refocused again - with the flu season upon us, I want to keep my immune system strong and I know that is not going to happen if I continually stuff my face with junk.

I am 5 + years on this forum - and am discovering I go through cycles with my eating and my emotions. Just like the weather - hot and cold cycles, wet and dry cycles. Just need to weather through and get back on track.

Keep on keeping on and you will reach your goal.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Artista » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:32 pm

I've been up and down too. Maybe I was getting bored, I don't know, but for about a week I experimented with adding some nuts, seeds, bread, and soy foods back into my diet. I didn't think I was overdoing it but in no time I had gained 3.5 lbs. :shock: So I've gotten back to following MWL. I haven't been exercising as much which might be a factor also but I think it's mostly the food. I've been stressed lately over a lot of work piling up and maybe the added pressure has squidged out into aberrant eating. I clearly need to cultivate some better coping strategies. :)

It's good to be back with you all. Hopefully posting in this thread will help me stay on track.

Report for yesterday:
B: green tea, orange, kumquat, blueberries, oats, buckwheat, soy milk, 1 T. flaxseed
S: apple
L: kale, chickpeas, sweet potato
D: pasta, marinara sauce with vegetables, kidney beans, carrots, kale
Meditation: none
Exercise: walking 35 min.

and for today:
B: oats, teff, buckwheat, grapefruit, kumquat, green tea, 1 T. flaxseed
L: cauliflower, carrots, sweet peppers, brown rice, chickpeas
D: kale, collards, sweet potato
Meditation: none
Exercise: none
Artista

Postby Zoey » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:36 am

You're all right, and I know that we fluctuate constantly. I just want my fluctuations to be in a ten-pounds-less range than they are now. I still haven't decided on my approach. The last couple of days I've just been mindful of the calorie intake, which never works for me long-term. But it's something I can do while I'm considering my next step. Keep the nuts and be super strict with my calories, or throw them out and not worry about it. Hmmmmm...
Last edited by Zoey on Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zoey

Postby Artista » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:15 pm

Zoey, I've tried both ways and the one that seems to work best for me is to stick with the foods lower in calorie-density and eat when I am hungry until reasonably full. I think I'm one of those people who has a very narrow margin when it comes to how much calorie-dense food they can eat and not gain weight. But that's just me, lots of people probably have more leeway. Let us know what you decide.

How Tuesday went:
B: green tea, fruit, buckwheat, oats, 1 T. flaxseeds
L: sweet potato, kale, collards, chickpeas
S: tea, kiwi, potato
D: sweet potato, black bean burger, broccoli, cauliflower
Meditation: 20 min.
Exercise: 1 hr. yoga
Artista

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:32 pm

Well, life has been a little too hectic this past week, and it’s not really my immediate circle, but two friends had emergency hospital trips last weekend and I was a bit worried for them (one had a baby four weeks early, another’s kiddo had appendicitis, everyone is well now), and I’m not getting enough sleep, and my oldest is selling Girl Scout cookies which is surprisingly time consuming and stressful, and, and, and...

I finally faced the music and realized that my pants were lying to me about how successful I was at maintaining my weight, and put batteries in my scale. Yoga pants will lie to you and tell you that you aren’t being lazy because you are avoiding pants with buttons, and of course you are rocking at maintaining. Yes, lies, all lies. Back to daily weighing in, because that is a strategy that works for me. I also was ignoring the non-scale feedback my body was telling me, such as poor sleep, facial blemishes, creaky joints and feeling bloated. In the words of Lizzo, Truth Hurts.

In addition to the “no animals, no oil” rule, I’m cutting out dates. So far that is getting me trending downward, and I’ll tighten things up as I need to.

How’s everyone else doing? Pants still button, LOL?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:11 am

Whew, busy couple of weeks for me.

I went right off plan one meal this week, when Wylie fixed a turkey feast and it was waiting when I got home. My brother came over, and my mom was home, so we all sat down and ate together, which was very nice. But yes, I had a slice of dark meat, and had gravy over the BEST stuffing I ever tasted...and the gravy was not only high fat, milk was in the ingredients. Which meant I had a "bad gas" day and I hope Wylie's happy. :lol:

For February, I'm going off all chocolate. None, not even on Saturdays. And sticking to the zero processed. :nod: and yes, I have decided to weigh on Saturday. See if the number is down any.

My meals:
D: turkey noodle soup (picked the pieces of meat out) (high fat)
B: broccoli; a banana; a baked sweet potato
L: baked potatoes and not cheese sauce

Exercise: Stretches and mini walks in the office
Meditation: None so far today. I'll take 15 minutes during lunch

How’s everyone else doing? Pants still button, LOL?

Lyndzie, in fact my "tight" jeans fit a good deal better now, and my "comfy" jeans are nicely loose/slightly baggy. :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Zoey » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:22 am

Lindsey, I'm smiling as I sit here in my easily-buttoned-up pants. But I'm laughing because they're still stretchy pants. :D
I'm glad everyone is well now after those scary situations. And now February is upon us. Girl Scout cookies, valentines, and Fat Tuesday. Good luck with those cookies!

Artista, I believe we are cut from the same cloth. I truly enjoy eating, which means I had better stick to the least calorie dense foods. I don't have to put nuts and dried fruits on the list of forbidden foods. But I certainly don't have to put them on the staple foods list either, right?!
I previously wrote about my cracker addiction. I stopped buying them a couple of weeks ago, and therefore, I have stopped eating them. (Genius, Zoey, genius!) I can munch a lot longer and feel better with cucumber slices anyway. So I'll just do the same with my other problem foods.

Buns, I applaud your goal of a no chocolate February. I mean, of all months! I've actually only had a quarter of a square at night this week. Like you, I'll weigh in on Saturday. Or maybe tomorrow. I'm still feeling good, and still totally on track with my daily exercise.

Good to hear from everyone!
Zoey

Postby Artista » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:49 am

Most of my pants were loose because of losing weight but they seem slightly less loose now. I still feel heavier than I did before I gained the 3.5 lbs. I don’t have the courage to step on the scale yet but I don’t think I’ve made much headway yet in undoing that weight gain. I need to get into the mode of one day at a time and enjoying the forever journey rather than being all about the goal. Serene, I applaud you for not caring about weight. I'm not quite there yet. I mostly care about weight for the sake of health but there's a little vanity in there too.

Wednesday--
B: green tea, buckwheat, oats, 1 T. flaxseeds, soy milk, 1/2 grapefruit, 1/2 banana
L: sweet potato, kale, collards, chickpeas
S: tea, kiwi, potato
D: sweet potato, black bean burger, broccoli, cauliflower
Exercise: 1 hr. yoga
Meditation: 20 min.
Artista

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals