Lifehunger's journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lifehunger's journal

Postby lifehunger » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:57 am

Sorry if this is not the right part of the forum to introduce myself and for possible journals to come. :oops:

My name is Rosie, and I've been vegan for more than ten years, but since I've struggled with different eating disorders, I gained a lot of weight and was not able to lose it again. Now I'm obese. I feel that I actually look a little like the vegan intern (?) at the hospital, Dr McDougall describes in 'The starch solution'. :lol: :roll:

I've been on a high carb, low-fat diet a few years ago, and I remember feeling great. My skin and hair texture improved so much, and I didn't have ear infections that often anymore. However, as I was overeating on pasta, bananas and coconut sugar (I think most of you can guess which high carb diet that was :D ) every day, I didn't lose any weight. I feel it's super great to be able to eat "as much as you want". However, I was not able to distinguish between being full and bursting from food anymore after going through anorexia with giant binges. :oops: I literally ate kilos of pasta and smoothies made of 10 bananas, topped with coconut sugar every day on that diet. :shock: :eek: No wonder, I wasn't losing any weight. But as I said above, there were also a lot of benefits to not eating any fatty foods.

Since I didn't lose any weight on that high carb diet, I slowly returned to eat a "normal" vegan diet again, with lots of fatty, salty food. That made me gain weight and left me sad and disappointed in myself.

In April of 2018, I started my weight loss journey once again. I've already lost about 30kgs since 2018 (lost 35kgs/77lbs but gained 5kgs/11lbs back, actually). I hit a plateau that I've been on for a year now, losing and gaining the same 5kgs/11lbs back again.
Now I want to try out the McDougall program for maximum weight loss, as I feel it's one of the healthiest ways to eat out there. I am looking forward to this new part of my weight loss journey. :nod:

I'm wondering if there are any cookbooks with recipes for the maximum weight loss program (not the 'basic' programme) that include photos. I'm a visual person, and I can't motivate myself to cook after recipes I don't have a picture of. :( I know, that must sound super strange, but it is how it is. I would also be satisfied if any of you have blogs or Instagram accounts with pictures of recipes. I'd gladly follow you there. :nod:
lifehunger

Re: Lifehunger's journal

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:32 am

Welcome!

Here is a great visual resource to get you started: Jeff Novick's Fast Food 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00466DP42/re ... ZDbFQD6KVX

Here is there recipe guide that comes with the DVD: https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/Advance ... t_3-13.pdf

Also, here is a good link about “can I really eat as much as I want?” viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27333

And, the healthy eating placemat. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37450#p380957

Good luck!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:04 am

I also want to wish you a big welcome! There is so much information on this site, you never even have to buy a book. Watch all the YouTubes with Dr. McDougall and JeffN and others while you are hanging around doing whatever it is you do, or while cooking.

Just enjoy how good you are going to feel. Best wishes.
AnnetteW

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:01 pm

Quick Recipes (with pictures) (scroll down to the last post for the pic link
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Shmookitty » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:33 pm

Hi Rosie, and welcome to the forum!

I don't know about recipes with photos, but like Annette said, there are so many recipes on this site, you don't even need to buy a book. I do have the Quick and Easy McDougall Cookbook (no photos). It's worth every penny. I think the cover price is $25 and I got it for $4.99 on Amazon. The Spicy White Bean Pitas are my favorite.

I have done the high-fat vegan thing too. Also lost a ton of weight on the raw vegan way of eating and then gained it back during a Canadian winter when I couldn't stand not eating hot food anymore. I know what it means to be a fat vegan!

I have never felt healthier since I started McDougall on October 5. I will celebrate that anniversary every year as the day I really started getting my health back! :-D
My name is Renee, McDougalling starting October 5, 2019
Shmookitty

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals