How to cook hashbrowns?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby auntemmy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:23 am

Dale Jackson wrote:I put frozen hash browns in a pre-heated non-stick waffle iron and put the lid down and cook them like waffles. No fuss, no mess!

DARN IT!! I just gave my waffle maker away! :cry:
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
Po-ta-toes? Boil 'em. mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?
auntemmy

hashbrowns?

Postby storm20 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:31 pm

I got the idea from Canada, Grate potatoes,
then put in a hot pan, you can add mushroom, veggie of just have plain

put on low heat after a few min, then put lid on keep turning them untill golden brown, or to your taste
storm20

Postby Ruth » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:31 pm

I tried the waffle iron idea, and they turned out great! Only problem was, it took a pretty long time to make enough for my family (three hungry teenagers/young adults). I wish I had a waffle maker the size of a cookie sheet.
Ruth

Cooking Hash Browns

Postby bergonz » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:42 pm

I use fat free frozen Hash Browns or Potato O'Brien. The George Forman Grill is the key. First pop a serving of potatoes in the microwave for 3 minutes to thaw and warm. Then put them in the George Forman preheated grill for 5 minutes. They will come out browned and crispy. No Problem!
Fran B
bergonz

Thanks for the George Foreman idea!

Postby kirakira8 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:16 am

Tried the George Foreman hash browns last night and they worked great! You can also shred up your own potatoes...that's how I did it. A few red ones shredded and squeezed of their juice.
kirakira8

Re: How to cook hashbrowns?

Postby Wendy Jane » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:21 pm

Hey, I stumbled across this topic a few minutes ago and I printed out all the replies. We have a pretty good non stick pan, but I just haven't been able to get the hang of cooking hash browns without oil. I'm going to try some of your suggestions.
And that George Foreman grill sounds like a hoot!!! Thanks a bunch!!!!
Wendy Jane

Postby Peacebloom » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Just made shredded potato waffles using fresh taters and they are lovely! I do love crispy things and these fit the bill. Looking forward to tinkering with combinations of spices (and perhaps some onions and veggies).
Peacebloom

Postby burgh_grl » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:16 am

I just use a regular non stick skillet, but always add 2 t. of low sodium soy sauce...WOW, that really adds a nice flavor, and certainly browns them up nicely!! Hash browns are a fav with meeee!
burgh_grl

Postby Brad » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:10 pm

OMG, this post is almost 5 years old!! I just made a batch. They burnt slightly but the flavor was amazing!! Almost 5 years of my life without having tried these...WASTED!!!! :crybaby:

The next batch at a lower temp is cooking. I am trying to distract myself rather than hovering over the pan. How did I cook them you ask? A little salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder.

Vegging out,
brad
My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
Brad

Postby jaxtanners » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:22 pm

I would like to cook hashbrowns in a cast-iron skillet. We tried it tonight, but it stuck and burned. Any ideas? We don't like using Teflon.
jaxtanners

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:19 am

If you read through this thread you'll see a non-stick pan is a *must*, whether it's Teflon, a "green" pan, or any other non-stick coating. Even when Dr. McDougall demonstrated the way he cooks them he says a non-stick pan is a necessity.

Some people mentioned elsewhere that they make their hash browns in the oven, but when I tried it I just got hard chunks of potato using the Southern-style (diced) hash browns.
VeggieSue

Postby veggylvr » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:38 pm

I've been experimenting today with hash browns in a regular non-stick pan (don't have a waffle maker). Seems to work best in a pre-heated pan on medium heat, with no added liquid - cover and don't touch for 5-7 mins. I made a mess with one batch by adding some water. They stuck.
veggylvr

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning