How to cook hashbrowns?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How to cook hashbrowns?

Postby kpolninja » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:40 am

I'm not sure how to cook hashbrowns with no oil.

I bought the frozen kind with the peppers and onions in them and used a non stick skillet, they came out ok. I even tried to bake some in the oven, those were ok as well.

Any other methods I could try?
kpolninja

Postby Doris » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:38 pm

Hi Kpolninja,

There is a recipe thread somewhere on this forum about cooking hashbrowns. Also on one of Dr. McDougall's DVD's hashbrowns are prepared. Maybe do a search. I don't make hashbrowns, but one way that caught my eye was using a waffle iron to make them. Looked interesting.

Doris :)
Doris

Postby luvoatmeal » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:49 pm

I just use a nonstick skillet. I pat them down, then divide them into 4 pie shaped sections with my spatula so that I can flip one section at a time. I let them cook until I can tell they are getting nice and brown on the bottom, then I just flip each section and cook some more.

On the McDougalls DVD, they stir their hashbrowns around a bit. But I just prefer to leave them alone, and flip the sections I made.
luvoatmeal

Postby Dale Jackson » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:59 pm

I put frozen hash browns in a pre-heated non-stick waffle iron and put the lid down and cook them like waffles. No fuss, no mess!
Dale Jackson

Postby slugmom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:45 pm

I know one tip I read somewhere, which is true not just for hashbrowns but also when I made the asian dumplings, is don't try to stir/flip too soon. Wait until they start to brown and THEN flip them; at first they "go down starchy" on the pan and stick, even on a nonstick pan. But once that part *browns* it actually releases just fine from a non-stick pan. It always takes me a little while to get that right.

Hm, I've had trouble with waffles sticking in my non-stick waffle-maker, I wonder if it's the same issue?

I've never tried hash browns like waffles. Do you use the shredded kind, then, rather than the squarey kind? (O'brien?) do they need to be very finely shredded? Or just the regular kind? Do they need to be thawed first? I'd like to try it.
- Kim

slugmom

Postby Dale Jackson » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:52 pm

I use the frozen shredded frozen hash browns (not the squares). They only have to be thawed enough to to not stick together and so you can put the top of the waffle maker down. There is also a recipe of fatfreevegan.com:

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/breakfasts/bry.shtml
Dale Jackson

Postby slugmom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:11 pm

the recipe says lightly oiled or sprayed -- do you spray your nonstick wafflemaker? I don't want to add any extra oil ... but I also don't want it to stick! :)

I'll have to pick up some hash browns, that sounds really good right now.
- Kim

slugmom

Postby Dale Jackson » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:37 pm

Every waffle maker is different. I don't have to use oil spray on mine.
I'd experiment if I wre you by putting just a little bit of the potatoes on and see if they stick or not.
Dale Jackson

Southern Style

Postby Yourmomstofu » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:06 pm

I have the best luck with Oreida Southern Style...I use a non-stick pan with lid on medium after about 8 minutes I can tell the edges are getting brown and I stir it up and cook until more brown.

I eat them with salsa, rf beans, ketchup, just salt, or bbq.
Yourmomstofu

George Foreman Grill--Super Easy & Delicious!

Postby MaryD » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:39 pm

I use Ore-Ida frozen hash browns. Pour onto the grill (can be just plugged in or preheated--either way). I do not spray the grill with anything. Spread out the hash browns to all of the edges evenly about 1-2" thick. Sprinkle with your favorite seasoning--I use Mrs. Dash Original). Close the grill and do not open for 30 minutes. You will have one huge brown & crispy patty that you can eat with your hands. My grandkids love them this way and it is soooo easy. It comes right out of the grill--just run the plastic edger under the whole patty and lift it out.
Mary-Star McDougaller
MaryD

Postby mtns » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:41 am

I cook mine in a nonstick skillet. I like to put onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper on mine and cook until nicely brown.
mtns

Re: George Foreman Grill--Super Easy & Delicious!

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:49 am

MaryD wrote:I use Ore-Ida frozen hash browns. Pour onto the grill (can be just plugged in or preheated--either way). I do not spray the grill with anything. Spread out the hash browns to all of the edges evenly about 1-2" thick. Sprinkle with your favorite seasoning--I use Mrs. Dash Original). Close the grill and do not open for 30 minutes. You will have one huge brown & crispy patty that you can eat with your hands. My grandkids love them this way and it is soooo easy. It comes right out of the grill--just run the plastic edger under the whole patty and lift it out.

which grill plate do you use???? I have the generation 5 with the removable plates...
ncyg46

Postby slugmom » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:37 am

I did it! I did it!

I used store brand frozen shredded hash browns, the kind that are just potatoes, and they ended up needing about 15 minutes to be kinda crisp, but they didn't stick AT ALL! I'm very excited about this. I think I could cook some up for a lunch for myself, but cook up a whole bag and cut them into individual waffles (my waffle-maker makes 4-waffle squares) and freeze them for even quicker toasted potato waffles.

Hmmm has anyone ever tried mashed potatoes done this way???
- Kim

slugmom

hash browns

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:41 am

i used the forman grill...the book said to use the grill and steak plates..i just took an uncooked potato and onion and chopped it in my little kitchenaid and preheated the grill and dumped it on to 1/4 inch thick, cooked for 30 minutes and ate them with some horseradish mustard....mmmmmmmm
they came out great!!!
ncyg46

George Foreman Grill

Postby MaryD » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:24 am

I have the old one--no removable grills. It is just the regular grill. Had them this morning for breakfast. Delicious and crispy.
Mary-Star McDougaller
MaryD

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning