Cooking Dry Beans without Soaking

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cooking Dry Beans without Soaking

Postby Spiral » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:17 pm

I watched this video featuring Ann and Jane Esselstyn and Jane's husband Matt. They described how to cook dry beans from scratch. But they didn't soak the beans overnight prior to cooking them or so it seems.

Did I miss something here? Has anyone tried cooking dry beans without soaking them overnight? How did they turn out?

Here is the video I am referring to. Making Dried Beans from Scratch

It looks delicious.
Spiral

Re: Cooking Dry Beans without Soaking

Postby Vegankit » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:51 pm

You do need to check the recipe you are following. Beans soaked before cooking require less time to cook.

I never noticed the difference and I stopped soaking a long time ago. I kept forgetting to plan ahead and soak. I used to cook beans in a pot on the stove and now I use my instant pot. I didn't notice any difference. I rinse and check my beans, toss in the pot and cook.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:08 pm

Living in Mexico, beans are a big part of the family menu. Beans are cheap, abundant and fresh here. Packaged beans in supermarkets are washed, sorted and stone free. But bulk beans from your local dry goods store or produce stand might include stones.

You can reduce soaking time by doing a hot soak instead of cold soak. If you do cook dry beans, they will require more water, longer cooking time, and more fuel. Whether they taste good to you, or cause your gut distress, is highly personal. When I started cooking I would often quick soak and pressure cook. They seemed ok at the time. But not as soft as canned beans.

Now I prefer overnight soak of 1 kg dry beans and all day slow cooker. The old methods are often the best methods. They are as soft and easy to digest as canned beans. I cook enough to freeze 3x 4 cup containers. I then pull from the freezer instead of canned beans from the pantry. Once a week I restock the freezer.

Also prefer the whole beans plain. Plain beans can be used in everything from tacos and burgers to rice bowls, soups, salads and brownies. Later if making refried beans, will add onion power.
michaelswarm

Postby MINNIE » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:21 am

I don't bother to soak them if I'm using my Instant Pot.

For many years I cooked beans on the stove, and sometimes soaked, sometimes didn't. It seemed to make a minor difference in cooking time, but not enough to bother me if I cooked them un-soaked.

I couldn't taste any difference in the finished beans.

I think it comes down to personal preference, and maybe the type of bean.

Lentils, chana dal, split peas -these are fast anyway. Tougher beans like chick peas and pintos might be worth soaking. But it's up you. Probably best to experiment with some small batches and see what you prefer.

For daily bean-eater like me, the Instant Pot is the greatest thing that ever happened to my kitchen :D !
MINNIE

Postby Spiral » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:11 pm

MINNIE wrote:I don't bother to soak them if I'm using my Instant Pot.

For many years I cooked beans on the stove, and sometimes soaked, sometimes didn't. It seemed to make a minor difference in cooking time, but not enough to bother me if I cooked them un-soaked.

I couldn't taste any difference in the finished beans.

I think it comes down to personal preference, and maybe the type of bean.

Lentils, chana dal, split peas -these are fast anyway. Tougher beans like chick peas and pintos might be worth soaking. But it's up you. Probably best to experiment with some small batches and see what you prefer.

For daily bean-eater like me, the Instant Pot is the greatest thing that ever happened to my kitchen :D !

Minnie,

Thanks for your input. So, what do you use your Instant Pot for most? Do you cook soups with it? Rice dishes? Just curious because I want to put my Instant Pot to good use.
Spiral

Postby CindyD » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:19 pm

I just made my first Instant Pot beans yesterday. I don't know why I put it off so long.
One bag garbanzo beans, soaked overnight in water. And then 12 minutes high pressure in Instant Pot, release right away - done.
I was so surprised! They came out great, they were not stinky like canned ones. (Am I the only one who thinks they are stinky in the can?) I did not save the aquafaba this time but may next time.
About half of the cooked garbanzo beans I tossed in liquid aminos, onion powder, garlic powder, curry powder and baked at 400 for 20 minutes. One of my fave snacks!

Someone asked what people make in their Instant Pot, I make some kind of lentil stew pretty frequently.
Most recent one:
1 chopped onion
1 chopped red pepper
lots of roughly chopped fresh garlic (I get the already peeled ones)
3 zucchini cubed
a cup or so red lentils (I don't measure, just pour from bag)
seasoning: garlic powder, onion powder, curry powder, garam masala
Very good batch. :)

Sometimes I include a can of salt-free diced tomatoes and/or tomato paste
Sometimes cumin
If I don't have zucchini sometimes I'll add half a head of chopped red cabbage
Maybe we should do a new Instant Pot go-to recipes thread.
CindyD

Postby Spiral » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:56 pm

CindyD wrote:I just made my first Instant Pot beans yesterday. I don't know why I put it off so long.
One bag garbanzo beans, soaked overnight in water. And then 12 minutes high pressure in Instant Pot, release right away - done.
I was so surprised! They came out great, they were not stinky like canned ones. (Am I the only one who thinks they are stinky in the can?) I did not save the aquafaba this time but may next time.
About half of the cooked garbanzo beans I tossed in liquid aminos, onion powder, garlic powder, curry powder and baked at 400 for 20 minutes. One of my fave snacks!

Someone asked what people make in their Instant Pot, I make some kind of lentil stew pretty frequently.
Most recent one:
1 chopped onion
1 chopped red pepper
lots of roughly chopped fresh garlic (I get the already peeled ones)
3 zucchini cubed
a cup or so red lentils (I don't measure, just pour from bag)
seasoning: garlic powder, onion powder, curry powder, garam masala
Very good batch. :)

Sometimes I include a can of salt-free diced tomatoes and/or tomato paste
Sometimes cumin
If I don't have zucchini sometimes I'll add half a head of chopped red cabbage
Maybe we should do a new Instant Pot go-to recipes thread.

Thanks for that recipe.

I agree. We should have a thread on Go-To Instant Pot recipes.

I am going to try cooking beans in the Instant Pot with and without soaking overnight and see if I have a preference.
Spiral

Postby Growing a Pear » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:15 pm

Since acquiring the Instant Pot, I never bother to soak. Just did a batch of chick peas this morning, as a matter of fact.

2 cups beans: 8 cups water. 30 minutes on high. Wait for pressure to release on its own. Boof. Two good-sized jars for the fridge to add to rice bowls, use in hummus, or incorporate into savory oatmeal or soups.

I do think they taste so much better than the canned. Plus they are cheaper.

ETA: I'd love a recipe thread. :nod:

Also, when I first bought my IP, I too was intimidated. It took me about 2 months to work up the courage for my first attempt, though I've used the stove-top pressure cooker in the past. But it's so worth getting past that initial learning curve. If my IP were to die, I'd replace it immediately. Can't say the same for some of our other appliances. The set-it-and-forget-it aspect is very freeing.
I just want to emphasize: It is the QUALITY of the food, not the QUANTITY. You are guaranteed success when following a starch-based and a simple diet. Monotony can be a key helper. ~Dr. John McDougall
Growing a Pear

Postby CindyD » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:23 pm

Spiral wrote:Thanks for that recipe.

Oops! I forgot, also two boxes low salt vegetable broth!
CindyD

Postby teresamere » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:25 pm

I use a slow cooker, and cook beans from scratch without soaking them, and they come out pretty good.
teresamere

Postby Spiral » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:45 am

teresamere wrote:I use a slow cooker, and cook beans from scratch without soaking them, and they come out pretty good.

When you cook Kidney Beans or Cannelinni beans you should make sure you boil them for at least 10 minutes because this will de-toxify them.
Spiral

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning