Pancakes

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pancakes

Postby Rob Stuart » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:45 pm

So, I have been a McDougaller for many years (started in 1996). During that time I have tried many of the recipes found on this site (I'm cooking the lentil sloppy joes as I type this note). Most of these have been huge successes.

I do, however, have one persistent failure. When I cook the banana pancakes, the pancakes do not cook in the center. The top gets cooked the bottom gets cooked, but the center always is like mush. I have tried cooking them on various temperatures and I have tried different consistencies. But it always turns out the same.

Does anyone have any tips on how to cook these so that the centers are moist but not mushy and the outsides are not burnt to a crisp?

Thanks.
Rob Stuart

Re: Pancakes

Postby Susan5 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:08 pm

Have you tried using less banana than the recipe calls for? It sounds like it might just be too much banana.
~ The best thing I did was to break-up with food; it was an unhealthy relationship.
~ You can't let go while still trying to hold on.
~ Focus on less...less desire, less obsession, less holding on.
~ "Learn to care less about food."
Susan5

Postby Rob Stuart » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:06 pm

I tried it again. I think the problem was that I made the batter too thick. I've come to believe that a big part of making good pancakes is getting the consistency just right. :!:
Rob Stuart

Postby Susan5 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:30 pm

Rob Stuart wrote:I tried it again. I think the problem was that I made the batter too thick. I've come to believe that a big part of making good pancakes is getting the consistency just right. :!:

Since you said you tried different consistencies, I was thinking along the lines of specific ingredients being used. Glad you figured it out.
~ The best thing I did was to break-up with food; it was an unhealthy relationship.
~ You can't let go while still trying to hold on.
~ Focus on less...less desire, less obsession, less holding on.
~ "Learn to care less about food."
Susan5

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning