Pulled-oats

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pulled-oats

Postby Breithorn » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:45 am

Is pulled-oats okay? I realise that a little rapeseed oil is used in its preparation, but I don't mind. Besides the use of the aforementioned oil, are there any drawbacks to the product?
Breithorn

Re: Pulled-oats

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:44 am

It's a highly processed fake meat, high in protein, so oil or no oil, it's not a whole food so not acceptable on the McDougall food plan.
{ https://goldandgreenfoods.com/ for those who, like me, never heard of this product before.)
VeggieSue

Postby Drew_ab » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:09 pm

I had not heard of that product before - it's an interesting one that is probably good for the environment and animals (and probably is healthier than conventional meat). But it's definitely not on plan and isn't something that would be recommended around here.
Drew_ab

Postby Ejeff » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:03 am

I don’t buy products like this as I don’t buy anything with oil. It’s very easy to make oat burgers. Bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add in spices you like and soya sauce or miso. Turn off heat and stir in 6 cups of oats. Let cool 10 minutes. Form into patties and bake 20 to 25 minutes. I use a small measuring cup to scoop the oats onto the pan and then press down to form a patty. It’s much faster than forming them by hand. These freeze very well. When I want to eat one, I defrost in microwave for 30 seconds and air fry for about 5 minutes. They are nice and crispy.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Breithorn » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:18 pm

some quotes:

"Pulled oats is a mix of oats, fava beans and peas. They are ground, kneaded and baked. Furthermore, it only contains some rapeseed oil and salt."

"Our innovation stems from treating our ingredients with the utmost respect and maintaining the goodness of the food by doing as little as possible to it. Pulled Oats® contains absolutely no animal-based or genetically manipulated ingredients or additives. Nada, zip, zero! Pulled Oats® is pure good. And you can count all of its ingredients on one hand."

Seems moderately processed and quite harmless to me. Let's see how it tastes then and compare it with Erin’s oat burger :)
Breithorn

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:31 pm

Breithorn wrote:some quotes:

"Pulled oats is a mix of oats, fava beans and peas. They are ground, kneaded and baked. Furthermore, it only contains some rapeseed oil and salt."

"Our innovation stems from treating our ingredients with the utmost respect and maintaining the goodness of the food by doing as little as possible to it. Pulled Oats® contains absolutely no animal-based or genetically manipulated ingredients or additives. Nada, zip, zero! Pulled Oats® is pure good. And you can count all of its ingredients on one hand."

Seems moderately processed and quite harmless to me. Let's see how it tastes then and compare it with Erin’s oat burger :)

I respectfully disagree. To get oats to look like meat is going to take some work. It’s “minimally processed” the way a soy burger is “minimally processed.” If you can’t make it in your own kitchen, then it is best avoided.

Sorry, but it doesn’t pass. Vegan, yes. McDougall-approved, no.

If you want the meat balls, I’ve made some IKEA-inspired ones before. I can tract down the recipe if you like. No a perfect match, but good enough.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Breithorn » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:46 pm

Meatball's are ok. Please sent the recipe.
Breithorn

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:53 am

Burgers are ridiculously simple and inexpensive to make.

Using the basic burger base you can also make meatballs, loafs, ground bits, sausage patties, etc., by adjusting the shapes, vegetables, spices. For example, I make a spicy sausage pizza or pasta topping by adding adobo sauce, I make meatballs and ground bits for baked pasta by adding marinara sauce. And I make different flavor burgers by adding roasted vegetables.

There are various burger recipes floating around. The amount of different bases and additions can be confusing. Some are base primarily on beans. Others primarily on grains. Some use mushrooms, others nuts. I like mine simple and kid friendly.

Burgers can be easily cooked, refrigerated, and reheated with just a toaster oven. Once you have a couple of variations you can double or triple the recipe and freeze the precooked patties.

I like a basic burger made of 3 staple ingredients I enjoy the taste of and almost always have in the refrigerator and pantry:
- 1 cup rolled oats: Blended into oat flour with conventional blender.
- 1 cup brown lentils: I prefer milder taste of lentils to beans. But you can also use beans like kidney or black beans.
- 1 cup brown rice

Add vegetables and sauces for flavor.
- 1 cup marinara sauce, or 1 cup roasted vegetables, or 1 cup adobo sauce, etc.

Add spices
- 1 tsp each onion and garlic powder and cumin powder

Add vegan egg
- 3 Tbsp flax meal: With liquid-moisture from vegetables or sauce.

Form into 6 patties and bake toaster oven 450F 20m.

The basic staple ingredients typically cost less than $0.50 per pound. (~$1 per pound dry, but they double in weight soaked and cooked.) So your home made burgers with vegetables and spices probably cost between $0.50 and $1 per pound.
Last edited by michaelswarm on Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelswarm

Postby Hal » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:33 pm

I was good right up until "rapeseed oil". :) but i bet home-made done the same way, hold the oil would taste great with a stack of other burger ingredients and condiments that make a burger what it is, using oil free buns of coarse so you can eat burgers every day.
Hal

Postby JeffN » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:39 pm

Breithorn wrote:"Pulled oats is a mix of oats, fava beans and peas. They are ground, kneaded and baked. Furthermore, it only contains some rapeseed oil and salt.

This is a mini version of the actual “legal” ingredient list.

The actual ingredient list includes not only “rapeseed oil” (not recommended) and also oat protein, pea protein and faba bean protein. These are isolated proteins, which are also not recommended.

When you look at the Nutrition Facts, you also see that the product has a calorie density of 1000, is 25% fat and has a sodium/calorie ratio greater than 4.5/1

This is not a product that is McDougall approved or recommended.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby michaelswarm » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:19 pm

Good reminder to follow Jeff Novick’s advice for reading labels.

Jeff Novick Should I Eat That? Reading Food Labels
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... txvIHRkoAg

Summary
1. Don't believe food labels. (front of package)
2. Read ingredients list.
3. Keep fat calories < 10% of total calories.
4. Keep mg sodium 1:1 ratio to calories. (2,000 calories and 2,000 mg sodium.)

Check out Jeff Novick’s FAQ
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37233
About half way down the page you will find “How to Read Food Labels & Supermarket Survival Skills”.
michaelswarm

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning