Rediscovering onions

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Rediscovering onions

Postby Hal » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:05 pm

So was reminded to get onions when i heard talk the other day about quercetin being so beneficial. An average onion has 52 milligrams (mg) of quercetin. So for the fist time in months I got a couple of big white onions to chop and cook until soft in my spaghetti sauce and potato-bean 'casseroles'. And wow, everything tasted better. :) It was the 20-minute slow sauté process that made the onions so good. It took a little longer to prepare the meals but was worth it. Next i'll have to try green pepper...
Hal

Re: Rediscovering onions

Postby Daydream » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:31 pm

I recently made caramelized onions that were delicious and they were so easy to make. You have to cook them in a slow cooker or crock pot that has a ceramic liner (not stainless steel) or the recipe won't turn out good. I sliced up 6 large sweet onions and put them in the slow cooker with NOTHING else. Cook them on the LOW setting for 24 hours. Mine were done in 21 hours so keep an eye on them the first time you make them. The onions provide their own liquid without adding any water. I stirred them every couple hours during the day and at night when I slept they weren't stirred at all and they came out perfectly. I didn't add salt or anything and they are delicious and sweet. The caramelized onions shrink down considerably when they are cooked.
Daydream

Re: Rediscovering onions

Postby Hal » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:40 pm

Sounds like something i should try. Thanks. I haven't done any cooking with red onions yet. Are they basically the same taste and considerations for cooking as white and yellow?
Hal

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning