Stove broken!

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Stove broken!

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:05 pm

Hi friends. My stovetop has a gas leak and a repairman can’t get out to fix it until the 28th. Until then, I have a microwave, oven and instant pot to make all meals. Dishes need to serve 1 adult and 3 children. We like chubby chips, but not every day for the next two weeks straight. I’m looking for some dinner inspiration.

What would you suggest?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Stove broken!

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:12 am

I've gone days without touching the stove!

With the Instant Pot, you can make anything you make on the stovetop. Soups, stews, a batch of potatoes, oatmeal, rice. Look at all the chilis and soups Chef AJ makes in the Instant Pot! Any of Jeff Novick's SNAP meals can be made in them.

Make a big batch of potatoes in the pot, cool, and put in the refrigerator. Then check out The Potato Reset on YouTube for all of the things Jeanine makes with potatoes. Make another batch and make mashed potatoes out of them to serve hot, and make potato patties or potato puffs with the leftovers in the air fryer.

Make a cheezy sauce or bean gravy in your blender, and if it needs to be warmed up, just nuke it for a minute or so. If you have a high speed blender, I've read they blend so fast they can even cook soups while whirling.

Make a batch of beans in the IPot. Make a hummus/spread out of some for sandwiches, stuff in tortillas with the usual cold veggies and salsa. Bean soups. Beans and rice - Star McDougaller Esther Lebeck Loveredge has a recipe to cook them together overnight so they're ready in the morning, and that would leave the IPot free for the rest of the day:

Dry Beans (no pre-soaking) and rice cooked together in the IP

2 cups beans (I used 1 C Pinto and 1 C Garbanzo)
1 C Brown rice
1 T spice mix from ChiliSmith or whatever spices you like
7.5 C water
Stir.

Set timer for 45 minutes and let it stay on warm setting overnight.

I've used salt-free tortilla mix some days, those free samples from Penzey spices others, but mostly just Mrs. Dash Table Blend.

All the non-starchy veggies can be made in the microwave oven, some can even be roasted in the air fryer, like cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. Some can even be made in the InstantPot on low pressure, but they do come out very soft, even at zero minutes time, but other things like beets, turnips, and carrots do fine.

Remember, the air fryer is just a small convection oven. You can put a casserole into an oven-proof dish into an air fryer and cook it. You can even take things like Jeff's burgers and cook them up in the air fryer. It's not just for potatoes. If you do Facebook, Susan Voisin (FatFree Vegan and a participant in Dr. McDougall's Celebrity Chef weekend many years back) has a community cenetered on vegan air frying. https://www.facebook.com/groups/FatFreeVeganAF

And there's always pasta in either the microwave or InstantPot.

Think of what you already make and try figure out how to make it in those 2 appliances. Look around the kitchen and cabinets to see if there are any other appliances you forgot you still owned that can be used to cook with, like a Foreman grill, toaster oven, Crockpot, electric wok or skillet, or waffle iron. I know *I* have some of these stuffed into nooks and crannies in this apartment I haven't used in decades! LOL

And if all else fails, maybe there's a neighbor or relative that will let you use their oven for a bit, and/or buy one of those electric 1 or 2 burner stoves like Jane & Ann Esselstyn use in their demonstrations.
VeggieSue

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning