holiday cookies for kids

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

holiday cookies for kids

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:02 am

I would like to make some holiday cookies with my kids that do not involve eggs and butter. The guidelines would be no animals and no oil. Flour, sugar, and all the other stuff that goes into cookies are fine. Any ideas?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: holiday cookies for kids

Postby Plumerias » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:06 pm

I was just doing a check of some of my saved cooking blogs and saw this one. It seems to have links to recipes as well. Perhaps you'll find help there. Happy baking! Who gets to clean up the mess? https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2020/10/v ... okies.html
Plumerias

Postby jamietwo » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:11 pm

If you like gingerbread cookies, this is a really good recipe from Mr & Mrs Vegan. The recipe is in the "more" section under the video. They made a gingerbread house, but I made cookies (at Christmas). ;)

https://youtu.be/Tzg2zournA4
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:59 pm

I think this might be from Mary McDougall, and it might have come in one of the newsletters. They are very good.

Greta’s Gingersnaps with a Twist
Contributed by Greta Weingast, Silverdale, WA
In a medium bowl sift:
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon ginger (ground)
1 teaspoon cloves (ground)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
In a large bowl mix:
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Wonderslim Fat & Egg Substitute*
1 cup Sucanat**
1 ½ tablespoons water
1/4 cup molasses

Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix thoroughly. Chill the dough before handling further.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheet with parchment paper or use a non stick pan.
Roll dough into small (1") balls. Sprinkle some sugar or Sucanat on a plate and roll the balls in it.
Place 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes
(cookies will puff and then collapse). Let rest for a minute or 2 and remove to a cooling rack.
Makes about 3 doz.
*Note: Wonderslim is now difficult to find. It’s made from prunes. You can substitute pureed baby prunes, or you can puree some dried prunes and water in a blender.
**Sucanat can also be difficult to find. Rainbow Market carries it. If you can’t find that, use brown sugar.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:03 pm

These are really good also. can't recall where I copied this from.:

Chocolate Almond Crispy Bars

Time to Make:30 minutes prep, plus 1 hour to rest
Serves 16
Ingredients
¼ cup brown sugar
2/3 cup of agave nectar
1/2 cup of almond butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup cacao nibs
4 cups of crisp brown rice
1 cup of diced almonds
Instructions
Line a 8X8 baking dish with parchment paper. In a large, heatproof bowl, combine the diced almonds, crisp brown rice, cocoa powder and cacao bits. Add the brown rice syrup, agave nectar, and almond butter in a saucepan on the stove. Heat over medium, stirring constantly, until completely liquid. Quickly add the extracts. Stir this together. Pour over the rice mixture. Fold the sauce into the crisps, being careful not to break the crisps. Add to the 8X8 pan, and press with the back of a spatula until smooth. Wait one hour to cut in. Remove from pan. Cut into 16 equal parts.
Vanilla Orchid

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning