Thai Glutinous Rice

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Thai Glutinous Rice

Postby Chloe--- » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:28 pm

Hi,

I have been plant based for 3 years and normally need to eat every hour no matter what I eat as I get hungry again. Recently I started eating thai glutinous rice just steamed with water and I found it would keep me satisfied for up to four hours afterwards. I also find it more enjoyable to eat.

But everyone keeps telling me it will make me fat. I can't find any information from any plant based sites about it. All I could find was this:
"Hulled sticky rice is white in color, but unhulled it might be black or purple. These latter varieties are more rare and expensive, and often used in desserts."
"Starch is made up of two components: amylose and amylopectin. While long grain rice contains both starch components, sticky rice only contains amylopectin, with an almost negligible amount of amylose. When hot water interacts with amylopectin-heavy sticky rice, the starch molecules separate, turning the rice soft and sticky."
Smithsonian Magazine says that sticky rice takes longer to digest than regular rice, which makes it great food for monks to eat as their single meal of the day. Buddhist monks in Laos, Smithsonian Mag explains, typically eat just one meal a day, and people give rice -- typically sticky rice -- to monks as donations. Sticky rice is favorable because it will keep the monks fuller, longer."
https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry ... _n_6084408

Can I eat it all the time like brown rice? Or is it more of a sometimes food?

Someone from a fb group suggested I ask you. I searched the forums but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.
Chloe---

Re: Thai Glutinous Rice

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:47 pm

The idea that rice will 'make you fat' is not based on evidence.
Just look at the vast populations in Asia who obtain a major portion of their calories from white rice.
These people aren't fat.
Sounds like you have found a good strategy to combat your hunger. Although brown rice is recommended over white rices, any type of rice is acceptable.
I would mix it up. You could try to mix brown rice with the glutinous rice. I often mix in barely with brown rice.

Brown rice does take longer to cook than white rice. I prefer brown rice over white rice and eat it regularly.
What I do is cook up a big batch at once - 500 grams of dried grains. This provides me with five or six meals.
I use Jeff Novick's method of cooking brown rice and end up with perfectly cooked brown rice every time.
https://www.jeffnovick.com/post/how-to-cook-perfect-brown-rice
Pumpkin Pete

Postby Daydream » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Chloe--- wrote:I have been plant based for 3 years and normally need to eat every hour no matter what I eat as I get hungry again. Recently I started eating thai glutinous rice just steamed with water and I found it would keep me satisfied for up to four hours afterwards. I also find it more enjoyable to eat.

It's interesting that Thai glutinous rice keeps you satiated longer. That would be a good experiment for someone curious about it.
Daydream

Postby debknott » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:02 am

Would this be the same with other forms of sticky rice, such as sticky rice from China, etc.? Or is there a difference between glutinous rice and sticky rice? They sound like the same thing to me.
debknott

Postby Hal » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:07 pm

debknott wrote:Would this be the same with other forms of sticky rice, such as sticky rice from China, etc.? Or is there a difference between glutinous rice and sticky rice? They sound like the same thing to me.

I'd also like to hear a bit more more about this glutinous 'sticky rice' - does it come in a bag like regular rice, and do you cook it a certain way to make it sticky?
Hal

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning