Red Potato dust and dots

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Red Potato dust and dots

Postby Hal » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:25 pm

I finally remembered to ask - what about all the stuff on the skin of potatoes. I have a bag of red skin potatoes and the skins are covered in a slightly rough dusty grey colored stuff with little crater-like dots of grey. Anyone know what that is and is it OK to eat the skins after cooking in instapot on 'steam' for 18 minutes? I get a lot of red potatoes like that while some are not that way. Thanks.
Hal

Re: Red Potato dust and dots

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:40 pm

Hi Hal,

To me it sounds like the little craters are probably eyes. The rough dusty grey stuff could be dirt. I always cut out all eyes and blemishes from potatoes (Yes, usually very time consuming, especially with the amounts that we consume!) and wash them thoroughly before cooking. If the potatoes are especially dusty, I was them first, de-eye them, and then give them a quick rinse again before either putting them in the pot whole or cutting them up.

Hope that helps?
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:44 pm

P.S. I rarely use the steam feature on our Instant Pots. On the Pressure Cook function, potatoes do not take 18 minutes. Depending on the size, maybe 8 minutes tops. I always rather overcook them, though, than to have undercooked potatoes. But if you let the steam release naturally, that steam helps the food continue to cook as it gently comes down from pressure.
Mom+Me

Postby Hal » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:17 pm

Thanks for the tips, Mom+Me. I have been eating my potatoes skin and all, and just removing eyes and any blackened regions from russets, and i've eaten two bags of these motley red potatoes already with no problems. I just thought i should check and see if anyone knows what such mottling usually is or if it's a concern - I usually get 'boiling potatoes or russets and the boiling potatoes are always clean. Washing the skins sounds like a good idea, thanks.
Hal

Postby Mom+Me » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:08 am

Oh, you're welcome, Hal. Without seeing the potatoes, it's hard to know if I'm answering your questions correctly; I hope so!

I don't peel potatoes either, only if there's green on/under the skin; that's toxic!

Have you ever tried Yukon Gold potatoes? They usually cost more, but sometimes they're on sale or like now with crops coming in, they can be fairly economically priced. They can be prepared many different ways, but mashing them is one of our favorites as they have a naturally buttery taste and look.
Mom+Me

Postby Hal » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:24 pm

Yukon gold are great. And they really do taste like they have their own butter. :) Thanks for the reminder.
Hal

Postby Mom+Me » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:20 pm

Oh good, Hal; I'm glad you're familiar with Yukon Gold's and enjoy them, too! So true about their own butteriness. :)
Mom+Me

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning