quinoa

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

quinoa

Postby kimba » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:47 pm

Do you eat this grain? I've been reading about it and it mentions you can be allergic to it. Have you had any issues with that? I know that you are to rinse it very well before cooking, and it takes off the saponin that is on the grain, which can make you sick.

Any thoughts?
kimba

Re: quinoa

Postby kirkj » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:53 pm

It never bothers me. I have used a couple different brands and they were pre-washed.
kirkj

Postby Vegankit » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:29 pm

I have allergies or food intolerances to wheat (gluten), rice and corn. I eat a lot of quinoa. I make pilaf, serve it with stir fries and other dishes.

Some brands of quinoa are pre-rinsed. I buy Costco’s Kirkland brand which is pre-rinsed so all I need is to cook it.

I make large batches and portion out what I need for a meal and microwave it - tastes the same as freshly prepared.

If you have to pre-rinse, it’s not a problem. Place the dry quinoa in a very fine colander or sieve and let water pour over it until it rinses clean. Similar to rinsing rice.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby MINNIE » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:10 pm

I eat it and have had no problems. I buy prewashed quinoa in different colors.

But everyone is different, so perhaps you try small servings at first and see if there is any effect.

I don't usually eat quinoa by itself, as it isn't as filling for me as my two favorites rice and oats.
But I like to combine it with rice. I put 2/3 rice and 1/3 red quinoa in the rice cooker. It comes out with a texture that is a bit different from plain rice, and the red quinoa looks kind of festive.

I don't think there is any nutritional reason do this, I just like it:).
MINNIE

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning