I'm ready to expand my shopping list..

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I'm ready to expand my shopping list..

Postby Hal » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:09 pm

I have been totally compliant for a few years now - no high fat of any kind at all.

When i go shopping i buy potatoes, canned beans (black/kidney), bananas, oatmeal, pasta (spaghetti, spirals - usually not whole wheat), crushed canned tomato/diced tomato, fresh garlic, basil/cinnamon. I can enjoy eating a lot of these food items at a meal.

So I feel great. However, I'd now like to tweak my nutritional intake by adding ONE more food item to my list at this time. I will attempt to add one food item at a time, in order to stay on program, as the limiting of menu items has been central to my ability to maintain compliance.

Given this short list of foods i'm already eating -
What vegetable or food item, do you as a fellow WOE members, recommend that i add to my shopping list to further round out my nutritional intake? I'd like to hear suggestions.

BTW - I have consulted the 'cron meter' and it reads quite well, but for a need for a little more calcium... :) Thanks, all.
Hal

Re: I'm ready to expand my shopping list..

Postby JeffN » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:23 pm

Hal wrote:I have been totally compliant for a few years now - no high fat of any kind at all.

When i go shopping i buy potatoes, canned beans (black/kidney), bananas, oatmeal, pasta (spaghetti, spirals - usually not whole wheat), crushed canned tomato/diced tomato, fresh garlic, basil/cinnamon. I can enjoy eating a lot of these food items at a meal.

So I feel great. However, I'd now like to tweak my nutritional intake by adding ONE more food item to my list at this time. I will attempt to add one food item at a time, in order to stay on program, as the limiting of menu items has been central to my ability to maintain compliance.

What vegetable or food item, do you as a fellow WOE members, recommend that i add to my shopping list to further round out my nutritional intake? I'd like to hear suggestions.

BTW - I have consulted the 'cron meter' and it reads quite well, but for a need for a little more calcium... :) Thanks, all.

I would recommend you read this thread on calcium first. Turns out the RDA is way to high and this explains why it is, what made them raise it and how much calcium you really need.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6508

This one is on calcium balance, which is the real issue...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54667&p=555526&#p555516

And this one on calcium availability

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6577&p=45762#p45762

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:54 pm

Hal wrote:I have been totally compliant for a few years now - no high fat of any kind at all.

Congratulations on several years of compliance; that is wonderful!

I didn't see corn on your list. Some good sweet corn (on the cob or frozen) is yummy, satisfying, filling, an approved starch, and very versatile. It can be eaten on its own, made into cold salads, as a topper for potatoes, thrown into soups and chilis, pureed to make corn chowder....

Rice is another very versatile, Plan approved starch.

Of course dark leafy greens are always great and can be eaten on their own and thrown into all sorts of dishes. I think I did read that you put some in your pasta, though, so maybe you're already eating them?

Personally I could take them or leave them, but sweet potatoes are a favorite of many people and are packed with nutrition.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Hal » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:36 am

Thanks, JeffN. It's good to know the calcium can be a bit lower than the 'meter' indicates. Thanks for the suggestions, Mom+Me. I'll try adding corn and rice to the menu next.
Hal

Postby Vegankit » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:59 pm

I see Mom+me beat me to the suggestion to add brown rice. I like to make a large batch in my Instant-pot. I can make a quick tasty dinner reheating a serving of rice in the microwave and stir fry veggies. You can do the same with quinoa.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:01 am

Hal wrote:Thanks, JeffN. It's good to know the calcium can be a bit lower than the 'meter' indicates. Thanks for the suggestions, Mom+Me. I'll try adding corn and rice to the menu next.

Sounds good, Hal! Just wanted to let you know that with frozen corn, you'll find that the super sweet generally has a sweeter taste and a better (less starchy/thick kernel) texture than the frozen cut corn. But you'll also find that generally the bags for frozen super sweet corn will contain less ounces for the same price as the frozen cut corn. Typically 16oz for cut corn and 12oz for the super sweet. If you're just eating the corn plain, I'd probably go with the super sweet.

It'll be fun for you to experiment/taste test!
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby CindyD » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:17 pm

I would like to add one more suggestion, and that is lentils!
If you have a Trader Joe's, they often have already cooked lentils in a package in the refrigerated section and they can go straight into a salad or anything else. I am going to try to cook some today. Apparently it's more like pasta than rice, in that you drain off the excess water. About 20-24 minutes according to Ann Esselstyn.

I recently watched some videos about lentils, including this one from Dr. Greger: "The Best Bean" (2011): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lcCKrLl7Ow
(SPOILER ALERT: Lentils come in second to black beans for nutritional value!)

Also this one, "The Benefits of Lentils and Chickpeas" (2018):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXxFdBwvLRE
(SPOILER ALERT: Lentils comes out number one for antioxidant content!)
CindyD

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning