Chick pea pasta

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Chick pea pasta

Postby Shariinsd » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:51 pm

Hi,

Has anyone tried chick pea pasta or red lentil pasta? I’m thinking it should be an allowed food. If you have can you recommend a brand? The pasta is actually made from the chick peas or lentes.

Thank you

Shari in SD
Shariinsd

Re: Chick pea pasta

Postby MINNIE » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:33 pm

I started using it when panic Covid19 shopping started in my neighborhood. All the normal pasta was sold out, but people weren't so keen on the bean-based pasta.

I found that I really like it and it's a quick cooking bean substitute if I ever run out of whole beans. (Heaven forbid!)

Another pasta that I like is sold at Kroger stores, under the Simple Truth Organic label. I'm looking at the label right now. It's made from cauliflower, brown rice and quinoa. Even though it's organic, it's not expensive so I bought a lot of it. They also make a red lentil-based pasta with no additives. Very nice.

I use these in regular pasta dishes, and throw in a handful when I make vegetable minestrone in my Instant Pot.
MINNIE

Postby Petunia » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:37 am

Just had it last night for the first time. I made Mac & Cheese. Definitely will be adding it to my list of staples. The brand I bought is made by BARILLA, and is named chickpea Rotini. Ingredients: Chickpea Flour. Calories: 190 for 2 ozs. I bought mine at Walmart. I was just thinking this morning about making some Mac & Cheese balls. Imagine rolling them in a seasoned coating (for crunch) and air frying for an appetizer. Hope this helps.
Petunia
P.S. I make my own cheese sauce using potatoes, carrots and herbs. There are tons of homemade cheese sauce recipes on the internet.
Petunia

Postby JeffN » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:47 am

Shariinsd wrote:Hi,

Has anyone tried chick pea pasta or red lentil pasta? I’m thinking it should be an allowed food. If you have can you recommend a brand? The pasta is actually made from the chick peas or lentes.

Thank you

Shari in SD

It is an allowed food.

However, Dr McDougall recommends limiting all beans/lentil to about 1 cup/day on average. It would be easy to go over that with bean pasta. You would not have to worry about that with whole grain pasta.

The bean/lentil pasta are also very expensive and offer no real benefit over the whole grain pasta.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby curcubit » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:08 am

I actually really like the Barilla red lentil rotini. I have also used the Tolerant brand too, which is organic. I am gluten sensitive and cannot use wheat pastas. Its very high fiber and tastes pretty good. But not so good that I overeat it.....I just add more veggies on the side. When I see it on sale, I stock up so reasonable priced IMO . Not a staple..I maybe eat twice a month, but sometimes you just want some comfort pasta and this ticks the boxes for me.
"One cannot pick a flower without troubling a star." Aldo Leopold
curcubit

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning